T-top related by 3.8 SC
Started on: 10-14-2006 11:52 PM
Replies: 28
Last post by: 88fierogt123 on 11-10-2006 08:09 PM
3.8 SC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
This is for all the people out there, that wants to do a T-top swap and need the seals and think the price of Fiero seals are just to high. I have been on a quest for the seals for the T-tops. So, I ordered a set of seals for a Camaro and a set for a Mustang. I tested the Camaro seals first. The seal went on the A-pillar and around the T-top, like it was made for the Fiero. But, when I got to the B-pillar,I found it to be 4" to long. O.K. It can be trimmed. Lets see the Mustang first. Same thing, great all the way around and only 1-1/2" longer than needed. I was able to squeeze the seal to get it to fit in the track correctly.

Now, I see a problem! Both the Mustang and the Camaro have the same straight contour, where the seal starts going down the B-pillar and the Fiero moves inward and then, down the B-pillar. As far I know, the Fiero is the only car that did this little jog inward. If you look to the right, you can see the Mustang seal and it is straight.

This is the Fiero T-top seal at the B-pillar. The arrows show how it sits.

This is a test fit of the Mustang seal.

I trimmed a little peice of metal off the corner of the T-top frame and bent the seal to one side, to get it to fit. Other than the little bend at the B-pillar, everything else lined up and sealed great.

Now, I must remind you, this was done with out any adheisive or adjustments. It was just laid in there, to see how things lined up. I did notice that I will need to make a few adjustments. The glass panels felt a little tight, when I latched them.
Here's the part that I liked - The Mustang seals only cost me $134.95 plus shipping and I got them from www.cjponyparts.com

Sorry, if this message is a little confusing. I was a little tired when I wrote this and I wanted to get my results out there!

Don Z.

------------------
WWW.CLEVELANDFIEROS.COM
Removed old photo - new photo coming soon!

My rear defuser

It's finally in the paint shop!

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 10-18-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Wonder what the Daytona seals look like? They were C&C too.
Earl-R

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post
I used the F-82 C&C camaro seals as well. I trimmed about 4-6" off in the center where the seals make the turn under the glass in the center of the car. If you have the non-CJB glass seals the angle is a prefect fit. The A pillar at the bottom where the door meets the pillar is the only real problem I saw.

BTW I used a black silicone to attach the weather strip back together where I cut it. It stays together and is very flexable.
WisconsinGT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WisconsinGTSend a Private Message to WisconsinGTDirect Link to This Post
Earl,

Let me get this straight...You are saying that if one has the non-CJB T-Tops...there is a perfect seal fit in the F-82 camero seals? Please tell me where I can get them? What is the part number and cost? Thanks!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Earl-R:

I used the F-82 C&C camaro seals as well. I trimmed about 4-6" off in the center where the seals make the turn under the glass in the center of the car. If you have the non-CJB glass seals the angle is a prefect fit.

You guys are way ahead of me...this is great research.

It looks like he is saying the ANGLE is a perfect fit. You still have to trim 4 to 6 inches in the center. This is only cutting rubber, it's not rocket science. I refuse to pay several hundreds of dollars for some rubber.
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Good stuff - thanks for the info!
Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post
Here are a couple of pics I had of the seals.

Seal by rear pillar

Seal by front pillar

Seal lower front pillar - this is where I see a minor problem that I haven't addressed yet. I think I'm going to cut the seal from the original seals and attached it to the new seals.

Very nice fit here where the new seals fits over the factory door seal.

I need to get a few more pics of how I cut the seals and "reglued" them using black silicone. I'll have the issue with seal on the front lower part of the pillar addressed by then.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
so these seals can replace the ENTIRE door seal?

my drivers side seal on my t-top car is still good, but my passenger side seems like someone turned on a waterhose when it rains.

if this will correct that problem id love to get a pair, or just a passenger side one, has anyone tested out the daytona t-top seals?

matthew
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Here are a couple of pics I had of the seals.

Seal by rear pillar....

Are these Mustang or Camaro. You kind of lost me going back and forth. Can you please specify which is which when you post a pic? Thanks.

Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Are these Mustang or Camaro. You kind of lost me going back and forth. Can you please specify which is which when you post a pic? Thanks.

John,

These are the F-82 Camaro C&C seals.

Heres a link: http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/c&cf82.htm

They cost me $89 per side. A heck of a lot better than $700+ I'll put the extra money into my engine thank you very much.

Now to find a good price on a set of headers for my 3800.

[This message has been edited by Earl-R (edited 10-15-2006).]

Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post

Earl-R

1285 posts
Member since Mar 2005

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

so these seals can replace the ENTIRE door seal?

my drivers side seal on my t-top car is still good, but my passenger side seems like someone turned on a waterhose when it rains.

if this will correct that problem id love to get a pair, or just a passenger side one, has anyone tested out the daytona t-top seals?

matthew

Matthew,

No they don't replace the entire door seal. Just from the top of the door up. You need the door seal for the lower half. This is the way my non-CJB seals that came with the Fiero C&C T-Top set-up were like. I'll take a picture tomorrow and show you what I'm trying to explain. Picture says a thousand words.

[This message has been edited by Earl-R (edited 10-15-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

John,

They cost me $89 per side. A heck of a lot better than $700+ I'll put the extra money into my engine thank you very much.

Thanks... Now if only someone would reproduce the Fiero seals at a reasonable price. $89 per side and a little gluing isn't too bad.

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post

John,

Heres a link: http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/c&cf82.htm

Now to find a good price on a set of headers for my 3800.

I see, that I was not the only one that was doing some research. I went with the Mustang for three reasons.
One - I didn't have to cut the seals to get them to fit.
Two - When I ordered the Mustang seals, I was told that, they have a good supply of them. I think they are having someone reproduce them.
Three - The Camaro seals are getting harder to find, just like the Fiero seals.
I was getting close, same results for the Mustang seals and the Camaro seals, on how they were attaching to the Fiero.

Earl, Can you post a pic of the seal at the B-pillar, where the side window and the T-top come together? I would like to see how you went about working the seal there. That seemed to be my problem area. As for the area where the new seal meets the old seal, I just hollowed out the back of the new seal and I will add some RTV there.

gofast250

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2006 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gofast250Send a Private Message to gofast250Direct Link to This Post
what year mustang seals were used,same as camaro 82
WisconsinGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WisconsinGTSend a Private Message to WisconsinGTDirect Link to This Post
3.8SC...What is the part number for the seals? Thanks!
Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC:

Earl, Can you post a pic of the seal at the B-pillar, where the side window and the T-top come together? I would like to see how you went about working the seal there. That seemed to be my problem area. As for the area where the new seal meets the old seal, I just hollowed out the back of the new seal and I will add some RTV there.

Heres the back without the glass in place. See above post with picture of glass in place

Front

Center where I joined the two pieces together

lower front, this is where I had the problem. I used part of the original Fiero seal (bottom part) with the new Camaro seal.

I'm curious as to how the Mustang seal fits at the lower window at the front of the door.

[This message has been edited by Earl-R (edited 10-16-2006).]

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WisconsinGT:

3.8SC...What is the part number for the seals? Thanks!

The part numbers are WSTT6L and WSTT6R. This is the website - WWW.CJPONYPARTS.COM
I acted like I was ordering the seals for an 86 Mustang.

Earl, Thanks for the pics! It looks like your seal is sitting just like mine is, at the top of the B-pillar. Did you have to use a lot of RTV in that area?

Don Z.

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 10-16-2006).]

Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC:

The part numbers are WSTT6L and WSTT6R. This is the website - WWW.CJPONYPARTS.COM
I acted like I was ordering the seals for an 86 Mustang.

Earl, Thanks for the pics! It looks like your seal is sitting just like mine is, at the top of the B-pillar. Did you have to use a lot of RTV in that area?

Don Z.

The pic of the B-pillar is before I put any adhesive on, it fit like it was made for the Fiero.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
i wonder what the difference is between the 5L 5R and the 6L 6R weather strips, one says for 84-86 mustangs and the other is for 81-86....

odd.

one says glue down the other doesnt.

matthew
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

i wonder what the difference is between the 5L 5R and the 6L 6R weather strips, one says for 84-86 mustangs and the other is for 81-86....

odd.

one says glue down the other doesnt.

matthew

I just now saw that on their web site. I called in, the order.
I told them that I needed seals for an 86 Mustang that had C&C T-tops.

Don Z.

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 10-17-2006).]

WisconsinGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WisconsinGTSend a Private Message to WisconsinGTDirect Link to This Post
3.8 SC...Does it say anything on the packaging? Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
You want the glue down seals. If you go to their web site and put the information in, as an 86 Mustang, you see the correct seals.
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post

3.8 SC

577 posts
Member since Dec 2003
I don't have the packing slip with me. I left it at the body shop. I will pick it up on Saturday.

WisconsinGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WisconsinGTSend a Private Message to WisconsinGTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks 3.8 SC...Just got off the phone with them. I have just one seal for the passenger side coming to me. I cant wait to se how it fits. Thanks!
Toaster_Man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManDirect Link to This Post
When I was researching this I also found that there were two versions of the seals for the Mustang. I kind of question the accuracy here, because it seemed like the mustang guys don't really have much information on their T-Tops (a lot of guys didn't even know who C&C was), and the information I did find was pretty inconsistent at best. It's amazing how easily we get spoiled here at Pennock's.

Anyway, the best I could figure is that the 2 versions were as follows:
Type 1: 81-84 with a 38" B-pillar
Type 2: 81-82, 87-88 with a 23" B-Pillar

I do recall reading that the T-Top option went on hiatus for a few years there, but I'm not too certain that those dates are entirely accurate (I'm sure you noticed that 86 was excluded up above). Also, I'm having quite a bit of trouble understanding the mustang could have had two different B-Pillar lengths in the same model year twice when all of their tops were done by C&C. Common sense tells me that they would have sent the same body type to be converted (if two even existed) just to keep things simple.

My question is: how long are the B-pillar sections on the seals that you recieved? My measurements for the Fiero Seals show them as covering 15"-16" between the top of the piller and the top of the door, with 2"-3" at most below the top of the door. These were on CJB factory seals, but I think they are all the same once you get away from the roof cutout.
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
instead of RTV, i have heard that crazy glue works really well if the seam is perfect. I have yet to try it, but for anyone with extra seal material left, it may be worth a shot. The car i saw with the crazy-glued seam looked OEM
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toaster_Man:

When I was researching this I also found that there were two versions of the seals for the Mustang. I kind of question the accuracy here, because it seemed like the mustang guys don't really have much information on their T-Tops (a lot of guys didn't even know who C&C was), and the information I did find was pretty inconsistent at best. It's amazing how easily we get spoiled here at Pennock's.

Anyway, the best I could figure is that the 2 versions were as follows:
Type 1: 81-84 with a 38" B-pillar
Type 2: 81-82, 87-88 with a 23" B-Pillar

I do recall reading that the T-Top option went on hiatus for a few years there, but I'm not too certain that those dates are entirely accurate (I'm sure you noticed that 86 was excluded up above). Also, I'm having quite a bit of trouble understanding the mustang could have had two different B-Pillar lengths in the same model year twice when all of their tops were done by C&C. Common sense tells me that they would have sent the same body type to be converted (if two even existed) just to keep things simple.

My question is: how long are the B-pillar sections on the seals that you recieved? My measurements for the Fiero Seals show them as covering 15"-16" between the top of the piller and the top of the door, with 2"-3" at most below the top of the door. These were on CJB factory seals, but I think they are all the same once you get away from the roof cutout.

Toaster man,
I got the same impression when I ordered my seals as well. The man on the phone said C&C? I never heard of them. Why these guys don't know about C&C is beyond me. Just goes to show, who shows more pride in the cars they own, by researching their history. I have a friend with an 86 Mustang and that is how I got my information, to order my seals. I also told him what that little label, on the glass, really means.

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2006 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump!!
88fierogt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fierogt123Send a Private Message to 88fierogt123Direct Link to This Post
Any new info to report ????

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock