Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Finale Roadster, The Build (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Finale Roadster, The Build by Archie
Started on: 08-17-2004 11:13 PM
Replies: 486 (61646 views)
Last post by: Hulki U. My-BFF on 10-19-2009 01:23 PM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you know, yesterday we played with the foam so Rob & Kris could get an idea how it was going to handle.

Today I had to make a road trip to Indiana to pickup a car & some other items.

The guys had several different projects to work on, so they spend a couple of hours on the PFF Spyder.

I'm sude you'll agree that the result is great. These guys always do a great job when I leave them alone to work in peace.

This is what they came up with on their 1st try with the foam. You'll also notice the lowering we are doing on the hump in the center of the decklid.

The only thing they did wrong was that they didn't take any pics of the actual foaming process or the trimming of the foam down to this shape. When we do the other side & the waterfall console, I'll make sure I'm there to take pictures of the whole process.

I did get a picture of some of the foam they trimmed off to make the shape.

It trims & sands very easily.

When we get all of the Foam work done & shaped the way we want it then we'll cover it completely with filler & sand to perfection. then We'll take a mold off of the parts & take parts from the molds to make the finished parts for the PFF Spyder.

As you'll see it's a lot of work & time from drawing up something to where it is in production.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 08-26-2004).]

IP: Logged
BtotheB

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe those guys get paid to do stuff like this. Sooo cool.

Is this foam the same kinda stuff GM used for the Fiero seats?

Brad

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BtotheB:

I can't believe those guys get paid to do stuff like this. Sooo cool.

Is this foam the same kinda stuff GM used for the Fiero seats?

Brad

No, this is firm & pretty solid & no where near as soft as the seat foam.

BTW, if you think it's cool to get paid for this kind of stuff, these guys also get plenty of seat time test driving V-8 Fieros

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 08-26-2004).]

rynelson85

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, I know you gotta be wanting more hired help up there
BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

BTW, if you think it's cool to get paid for this kind of stuff, these guys also get plenty of seat time test driving V-8 Fieros

Any openings?

Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, this is firm & pretty solid & no where near as soft as the seat foam.

Archie

Nothin' like rubbin' it in, Arch...

------------------
88 Formula, "Asphalt Aviator"

Celebrate Artesian New Year!!!

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post08-26-2004 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-14-2009).]

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Back when I built the Suicide doors on the Stinger, We WAY OVERBUILT the hinges and framing around the hinges & the door frames to be as solid as possible. It's a lot easier to overbuild it now than re-build it later. Considering the little accident Jeff had with the Stinger door, it would be interesting to know if He's glad we overbuilt it from the get go.

We added about 80# to the Stinger by overbuilding it & I'll bet that Jeff is a lot happier Archie

Yes Archie I am! Thank you. BTW, I think I finally found the air scoops that will work. Hopefully, they will fit around the OVERBUILD. Jeff

bsculptor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bsculptorSend a Private Message to bsculptorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

It's a polyurethane foam, the chemistry is distantly related to the foam used in seats but very, very different. This foam is totaly unsuitable for use in repeated crush applications, it's very low density. The good thing about this foam is that being urethane and not styrene you can use regular polyester fillers and resin on it and it won't melt away like styrene will.

JazzMan

i use this kind of foam at work .. (i work for a halloween company) anyhow .. you can buy it in almost any density you want .. i use the 2.5 density , gets pretty hard (not packing foam) .. but i have used up to 5 -10 pound density .. and can become very very hard until your almost at the point of solid resin. I also use a Soft polyfoam which is very similar to the fiero seats. if anyone needs any info on these or where to get them let me know .

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the foam humps behind the seats be reinforced or hide tubing or anything? Lookin' good!

- Flamberge

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

Will the foam humps behind the seats be reinforced or hide tubing or anything? Lookin' good!

- Flamberge

When we get all of the Foam work done & shaped the way we want it then we'll cover it completely with filler & sand to perfection. then We'll take a mold off of the parts & take parts from the molds to make the finished parts for the PFF Spyder.

Archie

PFF
System Bot
oneblack85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneblack85gtSend a Private Message to oneblack85gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i dont know for if i missed you guys picking the name that's gonna stick with it, but you could try something like fiamma (which was actually one of the names pontiac was thinking of naming the fiero - kinda ironic how it means 'flame' huh?). also, 'lucido' is italian for 'sleek'. oh, and one question...

Archie, would it be possible to eventually do something like...cut out the wall that separates the engine bay from the 'trunk' and (with a lot of welding work im sure) be able to drop in something like a *big block* with a porsche transaxle, so you can have the belts and fan facing towards the rear of the car? i dont know if it could even be done, let-a-lone if it would be too much weight behind the rear wheels .

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I almost missed this thread...I leave town for a few days and look what Archie come up with Maybe I missed it, but is the Finale Spyder going to be available as a kit??? It looks like I want one on my Christmas list if so.
Krhyme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KrhymeClick Here to visit Krhyme's HomePageSend a Private Message to KrhymeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oneblack85gt:

i dont know for if i missed you guys picking the name that's gonna stick with it, but you could try something like fiamma (which was actually one of the names pontiac was thinking of naming the fiero - kinda ironic how it means 'flame' huh?). also, 'lucido' is italian for 'sleek'. oh, and one question...

Archie, would it be possible to eventually do something like...cut out the wall that separates the engine bay from the 'trunk' and (with a lot of welding work im sure) be able to drop in something like a *big block* with a porsche transaxle, so you can have the belts and fan facing towards the rear of the car? i dont know if it could even be done, let-a-lone if it would be too much weight behind the rear wheels .

somebody did that... had to extend the rear end 4 inches I think.... I remember seeing a thread on it

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie, do you have some sort of plan for either putting vents in these humps to let the air out?

Or maybe vents at the back of the humps sorta like what Wholf did on his 308...

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 08-28-2004).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

Archie, do you have some sort of plan for either putting vents in these humps to let the air out?

Or maybe vents at the back of the humps sorta like what Wholf did on his 308...

I love the way Wholf did his car, it's one of the best 308/328's I've seen.

We have vents all along the back of the car that will take care of venting for us.

Archie

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah... Very exotic.. I just didn't know if you were planning to leave the trunk in, and if so, if the vents would be enough. It's looking great. Can't wait to see more!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

Yeah... Very exotic.. I just didn't know if you were planning to leave the trunk in, and if so, if the vents would be enough. It's looking great. Can't wait to see more!

Actually the decklid & rear clip are about 3" above the top of the trunk area, so you don't need to remove it to use those vents.

Archie

gumert

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gumertSend a Private Message to gumertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually the decklid & rear clip are about 3" above the top of the trunk area, so you don't need to remove it to use those vents.

Archie

Just curious - are you going to be adapting some new system to get the trunk to seal against water? My trunk seal is a little deformed in one spot and you would be amazed how much water it lets in.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well we got a chance to do the right side headrest on the PFF Spyder.

The guys setup some cardboard forms then poured the foam into them.

After about 20 minutes the cardboard was removed.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Then it's time to trim, sand & shape to try to match up with the left one.

We have a couple of customers cars to work on this week & I'm in the process of moving my household (NOT THE SHOP) to a new home this weekend, So I'll bring you up to date again at the end of the week.

Archie

------------------
Somebody needs to do a sig for Archie

PFF
System Bot
Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well we got a chance to do the right side headrest on the PFF Spyder.

WOW, that is too cool. Beats the heck out of my canned house insulation. Nice job guys.

--Will

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good so far. SO does the designer get the option of the first kit at a "good" price?

------------------

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like baking a cake! Nice stuff, I will have to try that sometime (for my dash).

I am not a fan of the Finale rear but it can be easily corrected , with cutting 2 little pieces and a bit of filling I think this would be nice:

------------------

1987 Fiero concept GTR in progress...
1969 Chevy Suburban

bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would be interested in knowing where to get this foam, as said earlier would beat the heck out of using the canned home variety

dan

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

I am not a fan of the Finale rear but it can be easily corrected , with cutting 2 little pieces and a bit of filling I think this would be nice:

That's what's so nice about building a car that's not a replica of something else, It let's you make easy modifications to make it truely your own.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 09-01-2004).]

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That one's spoken for.

John Stricker

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Looking good so far. SO does the designer get the option of the first kit at a "good" price?

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Wicks Aircraft Supply is where I get all my composite supplies.

John Stricker

Originally posted by bonaduce:

i would be interested in knowing where to get this foam, as said earlier would beat the heck out of using the canned home variety

dan

CharlieGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CharlieGTClick Here to visit CharlieGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to CharlieGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that is fantastic Archie. Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming!

-Charlie

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's what's so nice about building a car that's not a replica of something else, It let's you make easy modifications to make it truely your own.

Thats exactly how I started my project, and its also the same reason why these custom jobs need soo much time! You can do anything....but its hard to build something different that also looks good too. Make it a nice ride!

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will-Martin:

WOW, that is too cool. Beats the heck out of my canned house insulation. Nice job guys.

--Will

the real 2-part mixture is actually cheaper by volume than the spray can stuff

PFF
System Bot
Techbot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TechbotSend a Private Message to TechbotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't surfed around the forums here for a few days...and i come around to find this!

the first few posts made me weep...you strip it down in front of the DUMPSTER?? omg..thats gotta be blasphemy. do you sell any of those body panels? PM me if you do!

great pics though. i can't wait to see the finished project

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Thats exactly how I started my project, and its also the same reason why these custom jobs need soo much time! You can do anything....but its hard to build something different that also looks good too. Make it a nice ride!

Exactly, well said!

Looking Very Nice Archie...

------------------
*Custom-Shaved HandBuilt!!* *FIRST-EVER CHOPTOP-WIDEBODY GT!!*
*~*going 4.9L*~*Pic's Coming Soon! Stay Tuned!!

gumert

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gumertSend a Private Message to gumertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question for you Archie (or anyone else that has an idea): what kind of filler are you going to put over the top of the foam? Bondo? Resin?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gumert:

Question for you Archie (or anyone else that has an idea): what kind of filler are you going to put over the top of the foam? Bondo? Resin?

Resin will eat right into the foam. Once we have the foam in the general shape we want it, We'll cover it 100% with body filler. We will sand shape & finish the filler to the final shape & smooth enough you could paint it. Instead of painting it though, we'll wax it up & take molds off of it.

Once we have molds made of all of the modifications, we will make production fiberglass parts out of them & replace the foam mock-ups that we are making right now.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 09-03-2004).]

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whens the LS1 going in? Are you going to show the build up for the engine too? Remember, its whats on the inside that counts.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today's update.

I think that I had mentioned that I had planned to have the Spyder's decklid area flow up to the back of the seats and run down into the console area. Kinda covering the area outlined in this picture.......

All along I've known that to do it the way I wanted to do it, We'd have to make & use custom hinges. As you know the stock Fiero decklid hinges have the foreward edge of the decklid "tuck" down when the lid is opened. That won't work when you have two flat panels meeting each other with a solid surface underneath. Even if there isn't a solid surface underneath, a hinge that "tucks" in would have the foreward face of the head rest extensions hitting the seat headrest & or the old package tray area. So we have to have a custom hinge, we prototyped them today.

Now, that we have the decklid opening up above & beyond any interferrance issues, we can get along with the body modifications.......

Up 'til this point, prior to this post, how many people had actually noticed or even considered that we would have to custom make decklid hinges?

More to come......

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Next we need to finish up the decklid resurfacing so that we can go about building the "Waterfall" behind the seats & down the console area. So before we left today, we foamed a small area of the decklid so we can hack away at it 1st thing Tuesday.

I this series of pics you can see that process......

Rob, Starts with the official Steak & Shake mixing cup......

Have a nice Holiday.

Archie

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see this becoming one of my favorite threads very quickly.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And I used to like Steak and Shake milk shakes

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock