Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Turbo Super Duty Build. (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Turbo Super Duty Build. by FastIndyFiero
Started on: 09-27-2004 06:50 PM
Replies: 627 (85498 views)
Last post by: Will on 05-08-2023 06:40 PM
Kohburn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastIndyFiero:
I love CATIA.

one of the few packages i haven't used

IP: Logged
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming from Solidworks and Pro/E, I can say CATIA V5 is a VERY nice package. I use it at work and we have every workbench for it as well.

After an hour, I'm almost done with the clutch cover, have a little work to do on the pressure plate inside of it. All of the critical dimensions of each component are correct to real-life dimensions, and I'm going to use it to perform a motion/interference simulation with a theoretical bellhousing/starter arrangement when I can get some dimensions for those.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 01-25-2006).]

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2006 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I can't even access my clutch assembly now. Apparently for a short period of time a newer sub-version of software was being used at work, which they took off. So the old version of CATIA V5 can't read most of my files. :grrrr:
v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2006 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump....for an interesting thread.
GTFiero87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2006 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero87Send a Private Message to GTFiero87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will this pass emissions? I was thinking not because I wanted to do it, but the e-check in Ohio.
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2006 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been so long since Ive checked up on this thread, turns out im goin iron duke for the moment, maybe it will evolve into an ecotec build. later
fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for updates! more please!
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2006 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, Calc 2, Physics, Statics, and my job at the Structural Test division are keeping me extremely busy. Not to say there hasn't been any progress

I have flanges for my TB adapter sitting around, and I might work on that this weekend. I'm also switching things up a bit and looking for coated titanium wrist pins to relieve some of the stress on the rod at high RPM. Right now the only thing keeping the long block from being put together is re-honing the cylinder walls to the proper finish, and putting the head back together. From there all I will need is pushrods. I've also been devoting a large amount of time studying functions and coding (what little of it I understand) of the upcoming MegaSquirt products like the GPIO, router, and PWC devices. These all have a great bearing on my project and I suspect will be around in time to be implemented. So be looking for COP sequential ignition in my future

Originally posted by GTFiero87:

Will this pass emissions? I was thinking not because I wanted to do it, but the e-check in Ohio.

Short answer...No. I'm making no provisions for a cat, and using a big cam as well. At WOT I expect this to not be a very eco-friendly engine

Keep checking this thread for updates, as it will be getting exciting this summer especially!

1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn, I'm impressed... I plan on doing the same thing this summer, only with a Subaru engine. Keep up the good work, and don't stop updating!
Tusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for one of the coolest engine build up threads, I wanna see where this is going.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments, and sorry about the lack of updates for the past while. Been staying VERY busy. Sooooo...Updates.

I'm getting a TIG welder soon

Picked up a couple of odds and ends, like a CM remote oil filter. Very nice piece. No more unfiltered oil at WOT for me.

I started making a rough fiberglass intake adapter to go from the manifold straight rearward, and pointing up at about a 45* angle to clear the frame. That means I'll have to put a small "teardrop" hump in the deck, but it'll look cool . I won't hurt your eyes with pictures of that in its current state . The final version will be made from several plies of carbon fiber sleeve inserted into a female mold and expanded with an inner tube. This will provide a glossy surface on the outside for cosmetics, and a somewhat smooth surface on the inside for proper air flow, as well as removing any excess resin or air pockets. (Thanks to Kohburn for suggesting the inner tube, after much frustration wondering what I could use for this purpose.)

PFF
System Bot
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2006 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An update:
The components for my turbo tach have been ordered. Upon reception I will be assembling and testing. After rigorous testing, I will be providing these to the public as a finished no-hassle product. The hardest part will be drilling a hole or two into your compressor housing.

Good times

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2006 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Teardrop bump on hood..." sounds like a big improvement over the "hole in decklid for air cleaner" you had to start with, Nate!
Thanks for the updates !
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump to keep this thread from going into archives. Very little progress right now, the daily driver '96 Mercury Sable 24V decided
that the road needed its oil more than the engine did.

Road: 1
Engine: 0

And, of course, I started back on my fall semester. Always planning though, and this thread is far from over...

Nate
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just a bump to keep this thread from going into archives. Very little progress right now, the daily driver '96 Mercury Sable 24V decided
that the road needed its oil more than the engine did.

Road: 1
Engine: 0

And, of course, I started back on my fall semester. Always planning though, and this thread is far from over...

Nate
you sure your foot didn't help it decide?

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had one of those for two years, sell it now, it's a bigger money pit than the SD4

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

you sure your foot didn't help it decide?

All-aluminum DOHC 3.0L V6's with indivdual TB secondaries are SUPPOSED to hit redline daily
TrotFox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrotFoxSend a Private Message to TrotFoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All-aluminum DOHC 3.0L V6's with indivdual TB secondaries are SUPPOSED to hit redline daily

I completely agree. Which is why it'll be scary if I ever get a high-reving 3.4 into my car. } ; ]

Any updates?

BUMP!

Red 5spd Formula (still stock but burning oil above 3K WOT)
Trot, the zippy, fox... } ; ]
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No updates right now. I just recovered the pieces of the conn rod from my Sable engine however. Ooops

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.
You know that little voice that says it can't be done? I duct-taped mine's mouth shut and pushed it down a flight of stairs.

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many years you been at this project Nate?
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No updates right now. I just recovered the pieces of the conn rod from my Sable engine however. Ooops

I'm warning you (again), SELL IT NOW!
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone wants to buy a Superduty set up, let me know. I plan to sell mine.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2006 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sooo....

Ooops.

That being said, I actually did something with the SD4 today!
*cue heavenly music*

Tadaa!
Yeah, okay. So maybe taking it apart isn't necessarily a step in the forward direction, but those will be coming soon enough. Since the cam and crank have to come out to get the cylinders refinished, I thought it would be a good time to snap some pics of stuff that I wasn't able to document earlier:

Main bearings...The pic pretty much explains all.

Rear seal adapter. Unfortunately, my brain wasn't working correctly and I stretched out the seal O-ring when removing the cap. Chalk that up as a big "Damn." Oh well, everything else is looking amazingly clean and rust free for having been stored for a year now. Tomorrow I remove the cam, and test fit the piston rings to verify I'm not going to go over end gap tolerance by boring it out another .002" to 4.007".

Updates tomorrow...
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Camshaft: out. I thought I'd snap a couple pics of the SD cam bearings.

This is a good shot of one of the secondary cam journals. Obviously, it's much narrower than the 3 main journals.

This is a good shot that shows just how much wider the main bulkheads are on the block. The journal is recessed very far in.

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm loving these pictures
antinull.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mmm guts mmm
good pix
frankenfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frankenfiero1Send a Private Message to frankenfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does your water pump have a number on it? I am building a S-10 block up, but am running into the problem of the long snout W/Pump. If I could get any info for the pump you are using, it would be most appriciated!.

------------------
carpe diem

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frankenfiero1:

Does your water pump have a number on it? I am building a S-10 block up, but am running into the problem of the long snout W/Pump. If I could get any info for the pump you are using, it would be most appriciated!.

Sure, if there's a # on the pump I'll get it for you when I get home tomorrow. It's the waterpump in the GM build package, which is supposed to be a high-flow version.

Nate
frankenfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frankenfiero1Send a Private Message to frankenfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're the bomb man! I have been researching this pump for about 3 weeks now to no avail. It is shorter than the stock S-10 pump.

------------------
carpe diem

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2006 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You're the bomb man! I have been researching this pump for about 3 weeks now to no avail. It is shorter than the stock S-10 pump.

Okay...Well. I can't find the master list of all the components that came in the kit. So that REALLY sucks. I've been in cleaning mode for the last couple of days just trying to find some of my documentation. There's two different GM part numbers on the waterpump, but I have a feeling they're just for the case halves of the pump, not the entire unit.

In other news, I did final test fitting and measuring to verify that the new piston/ring combination will work for sure. Now it just needs to be honed for the 1.2mm rings and the rear main O-ring fixed. Depending on how the budget goes, I may have the block ready for piston installation (again) by the end of January.

Nate

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.
You know that little voice that says it can't be done? I duct-taped mine's mouth shut and pushed it down a flight of stairs.

PFF
System Bot
frankenfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2006 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frankenfiero1Send a Private Message to frankenfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CRAP!!!! Another brick wall on this water pump! Can you send me a really good photo of it that I can take to my parts guy? He is already used to me coming to him with "off the wall" parts. If anyone can find it for me, he is, just need something for him to go by...I hope yours never goes out, I think you would play hell tryin' to find one!

------------------
carpe diem

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2007 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CRAP!!!! Another brick wall on this water pump! Can you send me a really good photo of it that I can take to my parts guy? He is already used to me coming to him with "off the wall" parts. If anyone can find it for me, he is, just need something for him to go by...I hope yours never goes out, I think you would play hell tryin' to find one!

It looks pretty much exactly like the stock pump as far as I can tell. I'll get it side-by-side with the stocker to look for any differences you could look for and get some pics. I'll also post up the #'s from the case halves.

In other news, I have my extra NOS Foggers listed in eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Stainless-Annular-Discharge-Fogger_W0QQitemZ140070858661QQihZ00 4QQcategoryZ33740QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also still have my extra SD TBI intake for sale in the Mall...
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/034553.html

Okay, I'm done shamelessly plugging my items.

Nate

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 01-03-2007).]

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2007 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little more progress made today...The torque plate I picked up for $50 on eBay arrived today. I need to make a slight modification, and bore the through holes to 1/2" to fit the bigger SD head bolts. Might just do this on the mill at work if I find time. I also need to find hardware to fit the much shorter torque plate. I might post some pics of the plate tomorrow. What this all means is that reassembly of the short block is not far off...

Lata's!!!

Nate
frankenfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frankenfiero1Send a Private Message to frankenfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So does the pump bolt to the front of the block, or does it have an adaptor to bolt into the boss in the side of the block?

------------------
carpe diem

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So does the pump bolt to the front of the block, or does it have an adaptor to bolt into the boss in the side of the block?

The pump bolts to the side of the block exactly like the stock waterpump. It looks like the outside housing is exactly the same. I think the only change is likely a larger impeller or passages.

Here's the link to my Edelbrock SD-TBI manifold on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pontiac-Super-Duty-SD-Intak...

Decided to clear some parts out.

Pics of the torque plate AND water pump info today, I promise!

Nate
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for those pics...
vortecfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The engine is nearing completion. I believe by the end of July it may be put together.

Here's my TB I purchased:

It's a 90mm Accufab TB for a Mustang. A chatter brought up the possibility that the large opening size of this throttle body could have a bad impact on air velocity when it transitions from the intake tube into the TB mouth. I guess I'll see!

Nate

you know a 2.5 id throttle body will give awsum throttle response and easily support 400 hp
in a turbo application right ?

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31/T04B S4 turbo with a Super T61 in the box
S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2007 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vortecfiero:

you know a 2.5 id throttle body will give awsum throttle response and easily support 400 hp
in a turbo application right ?

Yes. I just wanted a clean looking throttle body and capability for alot more power down the road.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As promised except really, really late:

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock