Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Turbo Super Duty Build. (Page 14)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Turbo Super Duty Build. by FastIndyFiero
Started on: 09-27-2004 06:50 PM
Replies: 627 (85503 views)
Last post by: Will on 05-08-2023 06:40 PM
FastIndyFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilchief:

Fast, A long time ago (10 yrs+) I was inquiring about one of these heads and was told they had an oiling problem. I don't know if it was in the lifter area or the head itself. I don't remember if it was the guy that ran FOCOA or his mechanic that had the Green Machine. Was wondering if you ever heard of anything along those lines. If so what did you do to address the issue?

Which head?
IP: Logged
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The DOHC head.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't heard anything about it, but info is pretty short on these. To make matters worse, 10 years ago I was 13 lol

Been working on this quite a bit recently, between work and school, updates/pics are running a little behind.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 03-16-2010).]

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was either Keith Huff or John Parenti that told me that. Both were in FOCOA at the time and Keith is somewhere in AZ now. Don't know about John. Just don't want to see you blow it up. I've noticed a few SD block for sale that had rods go threw the side. I don't know how they address the issue of eliminating the lifters and that might have been the problem. Oh well, hope I'm wrong. Just wanted to give you a heads up

------------------

85 GT 3.4
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lifter bores are inserted with aluminum plugs. At this stage I've been seriously considering moving to a dry-sump oiling system so I can provide pressure feed to critical areas in the head like the cam bearings. It will probably have to be something I do when the engine is being set up in the car with all the accessories, since I'll have to move to a Gilmer-style drive.
Tzone21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tzone21Send a Private Message to Tzone21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
damn i want a finished product ahhhhh
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last exhaust flanges done:

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 03-27-2010).]

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After finally tracking down someone who had 321SS tube in 16g and waiting to get it from SPD Exhaust, I formed the stainless transitions using my new mandrel, and they work great. Matches up with the flange and looks good to boot.

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pontiacjeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacjeffClick Here to visit pontiacjeff's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacjeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, tried to read thru but had to jump to the end... I am in the parts acquisition process to build a SD4 16V turbo engine myself. Please keep those CNC coordinates so I can buy some flanges form you! I'll check in when my parts arrive here. I have to ask if you have any spare bottom end stuff, rods, pistons, crank, block?
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2010 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiacjeff:

Wow, tried to read thru but had to jump to the end... I am in the parts acquisition process to build a SD4 16V turbo engine myself. Please keep those CNC coordinates so I can buy some flanges form you! I'll check in when my parts arrive here. I have to ask if you have any spare bottom end stuff, rods, pistons, crank, block?

I always save all of my models. What I can make depends on how much spare time I have, but I can always send you the CAD data. Any competent shop with a CNC machine would have no trouble knocking these out. I don't have any spare bottom end stuff, but if you keep looking I'm sure you'll find something. Just do a daily search on eBay and it will pop up.

Finished a prototype intake flange today:
PFF
System Bot
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FastIndyFiero

2545 posts
Member since Aug 2002
The bolts are stand-ins, they're too long. The proper bolts will ride inside of the counterbores. The new flange ID is .010-.020" smaller than the port on the head, but there's plenty of material to take it out to a ported match. I'm pretty happy with how it looks, just have to make 4 more now out of a proper weldable aluminum alloy.

HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This project is awesome. How much hp are u guessing the finished product will put out?
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HausFiero:

This project is awesome. How much hp are u guessing the finished product will put out?

Hopefully bunches. Over 800 is what I'm shooting for.

Progress has been slow the last little bit. Been working on my other project:

http://www.flickr.com/photo...01614/in/photostream
ghost187x

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastIndyFiero:

Hopefully bunches. Over 800 is what I'm shooting for.

Progress has been slow the last little bit. Been working on my other project:

http://www.flickr.com/photo...01614/in/photostream

congrats!
pontiacjeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2010 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacjeffClick Here to visit pontiacjeff's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacjeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am ready for a set of intake and exhaust flanges. About to unpack 5 boxes of Cosworth stuff. Only lacking a 2.7L 3.25" crank. I'll send a pm to follow up.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those drooling over the Cosworth heads - now's your chance!!

Saw this Cosworth/Pontiac engine for sale http://www.race-cars.com/en...331/1107211331ss.htm

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-31-2010).]

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, no running engine yet? 6+ years and counting. I think you've passed SmooothGT for the longest unfinished thread.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2011 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha. There's no beating Smoooooth.

Progress!

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Made this set for Alan Samura.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I've been working on the flywheel situation. For the last several years I had contemplated running a reverse-mount starter through the tranny bellhousing and in conjunction with a reduced diameter flexplate. I'm still not sure what tranny I'll be running, so I've decided to bite the bullet and just set up with the stock starter position / iron duke ring gear.

I still have an issue caused by the large SBC crank pattern messing with the friction insert. I've analyzed this to death, saved weight everywhere I can, and I think the result is looking very good. Total weight is almost 3.5lbs with ring gear. Inertia for the assembly is about 50lb-in^2. Total including a Tilton Carbon-Carbon 5.5" would be 8.1lbs and 74lb-in^2, a savings of.....alot.

However, I did a little re-evaluation of objectives and I examined the alternate route of retaining the mini steel flywheel, and basically just making a flex plate. The weight for the assembly isn't much worse (4.6 vs 3.5lbs) and the inertia is only moderately higher (61 vs 52 lb-in^2). What's pushing me towards this is that I don't need to mess with a friction surface, it can take thrust loads from the TOB more easily, and if I mess up the flywheel I can toss it and get a new one for around $100-150, which is about the same as most friction surfaces. If I go to a bellhousing mount starter I can just toss the flexplate in the garbage. Right now I'm wondering if the inertia will be too low and my non-racedriver skills won't be able to hack it with nearly instantaneous throttle response. The crank will only add about 70 in-lb2 of inertia. I'm looking at a total rotating inertia 60-90% smaller than a typical V8.

Dave Deerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave DeersonSend a Private Message to Dave DeersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With flywheel weight/clutch choices I always ask what the use/application will be. Street or track? On the track I would get the lightest in my budget. However,with a street car,I would suggest of not going lighter than10-12lbs for a flywheel.You do need some inertia for pulling away from a stop. At first you may say that you will adjust your driving style to deal with the ultra light FW, but over time it will become a royal PIA.I also stay away from multi-disc clutches on the street,especially carbon/carbon. They just don't like being slipped/modulated to the level needed for street driving . I guess it comes down to how much,where and how you will be driving the car when done.
PFF
System Bot
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my aftermarket ring gear in several days ago. It's only about a 1/4" wide (ID-OD), so the ID is about .25" larger than the stock '85 Duke ring gear. This doesn't leave me enough room to pin or screw it onto the flexplate. I wanted something with a SMALLER ID than the stock gear, so I had enough room to at least get some #10 fasteners in. Without any additional shear holding, using a shrink fit, the ring gear would be able to slip on the aluminum center at my worst case accel-decel scenario.

Does anyone know of any smallish-ID 142 tooth ring gears?

In other news, I finally got my car moved to my shop

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if this is any interest to you:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-...e-W0QQAdIdZ284228738

I don't know what to look for when it comes to the SD stuff, but maybe he has something of use to you for a part of your build!
852m4se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 852m4seSend a Private Message to 852m4seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice. i wanna here an sd-4. they probly sound mean
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2011 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 852m4se:

nice. i wanna here an sd-4. they probly sound mean

You can hear my SD4 in this video...as long as you can ignore the annoying commentary that is.
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never heard an SD4 before, sounds very interesting, almost as if it has a constant rod knock. Great looking Indy though, looks like its a lot of fun to drive!
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2011 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't speak for every SD4 out there, but I have 2 and they both have that internal rattle to them. Both have Jessel rockers and I have been told that it could be those. However I have noticed that every stock Duke Fiero I have ever owned has sounded like a rattling bubblegum machine to varying degree's so it could just be an inherent noise with the design of the engine, which is pretty much the same between the SD4 and the duke.

When i first got the Indy it had a hooker header on it and a straight pipe exhaust with no muffler. You could not hear the rattle for obvious reasons with that set-up.

But there are ppl here more knowledgeable about SD4's here than I am who might be able to shed some light on this.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2012 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything new?
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing exciting right now, I've been working on machining some assorted flanges, and I'm still trying to get a flywheel design ironed out that won't cost me an arm and a leg for raw material for. I've also been doing some things to the car, cutting/repairing rust around the battery tray. Money is tight right now, though, so nothing big.

Hoffedav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HoffedavSend a Private Message to HoffedavEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just read through this entire thread for the first time. In the beginning I was getting excited for the dyno numbers and 1/4 mile runs I expected to be in the latter pages. Then once I saw the switch to the DOHC head I knew it wasn't done by page 14 lol.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting...Most similar Cosworth head I've found so far is the Mercedes 190E.

http://190rev.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=35723&page=2

PFF
System Bot
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Better buy all the parts you might need to complete the build.

By the time you are finished even the gaskets will be obsolete.
eljibaro127

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eljibaro127Send a Private Message to eljibaro127Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No need to bump Construction Zone threads, they never archive.
DarcyJL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarcyJLSend a Private Message to DarcyJLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any update
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Subscribing to thread and asking for an update. Cheers,
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I've decided to sell everything and start a new project...On a 2013 Volkswagen Beetle!

Just kidding. Still slowly working on doing minor repairs to the car, and slowly forming a complete plan of action on the SD-4 DOHC. Still fine tuning designs on the intake/exhaust (billet header collector anyone?) here and there between finishing school (2 more semesters!) and working 80hrs/week. The Turbo Super Duty Build is far from forgotten and WILL be finished!
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get your injector bungs for the 4 brrl intake ? Are you keeping all the 433 head/intake stuff ?
Thanks Rick

------------------

85 GT 3.4
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ive had this thread favorited back before I had my first car (fiero) im anxious to see just how much is actually possible with that engine. I understand the school and work situation, im still there myself. keep at it.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilchief:

Where did you get your injector bungs for the 4 brrl intake ? Are you keeping all the 433 head/intake stuff ?
Thanks Rick

I got the injector bungs from SDS EFI. I'm still planning on keeping the 433 stuff, as I just can't seem to bring myself to part with it. It's also there as a back up plan in case I hit a major(er) roadblock with the Cosworth head.

Originally posted by Josh52894:

ive had this thread favorited back before I had my first car (fiero) im anxious to see just how much is actually possible with that engine. I understand the school and work situation, im still there myself. keep at it.

Thanks! I'm still at it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock