Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Turbo Super Duty Build. (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Turbo Super Duty Build. by FastIndyFiero
Started on: 09-27-2004 06:50 PM
Replies: 627 (85511 views)
Last post by: Will on 05-08-2023 06:40 PM
fiero308

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2005 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero308Send a Private Message to fiero308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that's great; it was just a thought that was bugging me so figured I'd bring it up. The main line is the one with the most FORCE acting on it due to its size, the smaller ones will have less (bursting) force against them of course, so it is that main that I was concerned about. You should be able to use similar type for the smaller lines with less concern.

I am still surprised at that working pressure for alum (esp. at that size...), to be honest but if that is what they say then they should know!
good stuff; looks great, too! Keep it up; very interesting and helpful info!

IP: Logged
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2005 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bryson:

I want to know how you worked that out -- I had to buy 4...

Four? Ouch. Makes a gasket from GM seem pretty cheap, right?

Who did you talk to there? I spoke to Steve Norr, I think he pulled a couple strings. And they already had a part number for mine for an Iron Duke, that may have made a difference.

Nate

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my 90mm throttle body, still waiting on head to be assembled and intake to be modified:

And one for size

Took me an hour or two to get it all cleaned up and shiny, but it should work really well.

Nate

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 06-09-2005).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vanilla Coke and Cornflakes?

TB looks good!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hehe...Got my rockers today:

And been working on a mold for my intake elbow:

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Head: Nearly $2000 and 1.5 years later, done.

Titanium locks and retainers with K-Motion springs, Crane Gold Race roller rockers, and Manley stainless race valves. Ported and polished, flow benched, and intake port matched.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 06-30-2005).]

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks sweet Nate. Good luck with the rest of the project!

------------------

1 of 2: Factory Maroon/Gray 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 97 GTP Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 13.704@98mph, 1.938 60ft)

My CarDomain Site
My Friend Garrod's CarDomain Site

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
433 heads?

hope you did a whole lot of porting!

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FastIndyFiero... I will take back all the mean things Rare87GT ever said about you if you give me that motor....
yosemitefieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yosemitefierosSend a Private Message to yosemitefierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do I say it... I found my SD head with stainless valves...for... $200 in the back of an old auto repair shop. Sorry, had to say it! It's now all ported and polished to a custom one of a kind '88 intake.

Yours is absolutely beeeeeutiful!

Keep up the great work.

Gary

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

433 heads?

hope you did a whole lot of porting!

290 CFM at .600 valve lift. Of course that was when I was still planning on N/A. It could go much higher.

Not to say I would mind having an 801...IF you happened to know where one was. Though then I would need a different intake.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 06-30-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2005 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine:

Spearco 2-230 water/air IC. FINALLY found it on eBay.

Going to be not mine:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/027262.html
Yup. My 2bbl SD intake is for sale.

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2005 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Intercooler STILL hasn't arrived. I've been having words with the seller. I'll be pretty pissed if it doesn't come, because I got a great deal on that thing. I had the head on the block, I didn't catch any pics though. Due to an idiotic mistake, I have to machine slight .070" valve recesses into the pistons. Ooops. I'll probably have them coated while they're out, might have the head ceramic coated also.

Updates are for people with no lives

Nate

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How to make mo powa...

big azz IC, yo

Spearco 2-230
im tellin u this sh-- is madd tite

Nate

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey you finally got it! Any update on the piston screw-up?
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats the cfm rating on that intercooler? Looks alittle more compact than a barrel type.

Nice progress so far!

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

Whats the cfm rating on that intercooler? Looks alittle more compact than a barrel type.

Nice progress so far!

Well, not really much progress so far, but thanks

The IC is rated to 1500CFM. It's actually kinda gigantic - those are 3" inlet/outlets. At 30psi, 700cfm, 400* intake temps, and 45* coolant, output is 81*, with a pressure drop of .18. I won't be running at 30 PSI (ok, I might not be running at 30 psi ), so the temp drop will be a little less, but my max CFM will probably be around 800-850, so it'll work out VERY well.

No RWD, the pistons haven't fixed themselves yet

And now the bad news...Real life sets in. My Grand Am is dying, and I'm looking for a GTP, which means...no fancy high-tech (IOW, expensive) goodies for a while

More updates whenever I feel like it.
Nate

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2005 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The head should be coming apart fairly soon. I'm going to send off the titanium locks and retainers to have them anodized, and I'm also going to get the valves, combustion chambers, and exhaust ports ceramic coated somewhere.

Which reminds me...Check your PM's bryson!

Nate

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2005 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to the top
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2005 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the bump, man. Thought I'd mention that one of my SD intakes is on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7995353431&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Nate

StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2005 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, you've made a lot of progress since last I visited this thread! Impressive pictures, thanks for posting and best of luck getting it all together, Nate!

------------------

PFF
System Bot
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I now have basically all the measurements I need for my tranny spacer plate, .75" thick. Pretty much just have to take it to the machine shop and have it made.

I also picked up a MegaSquirt II, with a V3.0 PCB. It will be controlling ignition through dual timing maps, MSD Pro-Billet distributer and MSD 6AL, all of which I have sitting right here. Depending on what progress is made on the software and crank position decoding, I might run coil-on-plug just for the hell of it. I think I'm going to pick up 4 more fuel injectors too...

At this point, parts accumulation is getting pretty old. I'm ready for the actual build. I've put in some emails for estimates on a header, but no word back yet. Packaging of the turbo and related components is going to be the challenging part (yes, maybe even fun by my standards). Very little of the wiring, sensors, or other electrical components should be visible. The IC looks like it's going to get tossed in the trunk.

Nate

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it's nearly 4:30 AM, and I'm still up -though I'm not quite sure why- so I'll do a quick update. (No pics, it's just the same old stuff)

Work progresses well on my MS unit (I've been testing as I go, everything is okay). My head is disassembled ("wait a second", you say, "wasn't this supposed to be forward progress?!?!" ) , as it will be sent off this week for coatings.

One of the big things I've been putting some time into is researching some small form factor PC's. I've put together a couple of desktop PC's that run very well, but have no experience with some of the problems associated with a vehicle-based computer. Right now, the plan is a simple/fast unit, most likely not interfacing with any audio or media. I've got a different tune to listen to . Excluding the ECM, minimal system integration. I want to be able to run Windows XP, and have a 7" or so touchscreen that when not in some other use, will display analog-style gauges from my ECM. Right now, a physical link between the ECM and PC won't even be becessary, as the ECM will support Bluetooth (yes, that means when I'm tuning it with a laptop or this PC I will not be screwing around with any cables, hehehe). I want very fast boot times, so I'm thinking flash memory here. I need only fit Windows, my tuning program, and a couple of my tuning files.

One of the main needs propogating this project is the ability to re-map and re-tune inside of the car, and the ability to permanently store different tunes so I don't have to change 193 different air-fuel/ignition bins and checkboxes when I decide to throw in a couple gallons of race fuel and go autocrossing or to the strip. Nitromethane, anyone? Ok, ok, no nitro. But I guess the focus is flexibility.

The last issue is cost...this is one of the few things I can cut some corners on, and still do "right". I don't need the latest and greatest to get done what I need to get done. I have a budget to work with and simply have to get some other engine work and things done, otherwise I'll have a nice, small paperweight of a PC.

SO...Anybody have suggestions of a good foundation for this system? I would appreciate any insights...

Next pics I post will be either of a finished Megasquirt or a ceramic coated head.
More later,
Nate

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OMG a car that runs on windows.. look out for the Blue screen of death
(I realize your car will run on the ecm)
(I'm kidding) I think its pretty a cool Idea...
Fixer Up

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fixer UpSend a Private Message to Fixer UpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dell makes a full bore PC that is about 3 and half inches thick, 6 inches wide and 10 inches long. I have installed a few of them under desks and they don't take up hardly any room at all. Sorry I can't provide a model number, but they run about a grand for the basic PC. It maybe out of your price range and building your own might be the prefered path. Hardware if you build it is fairly cheap, Software is the major cost. Your doing fantastic things here, wish I could see it in person.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
these are expensive but just an example of what you can find in the "book pc" market - basicly what you need http://www.thebookpc.com/index.php/cPath/68_33?OVRAW=book%20pc&OVKEY=book%20pc&OVMTC=standard
CaddyRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaddyRobClick Here to visit CaddyRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaddyRobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use a shuttle XPC and it works great, the sum of the parts could probley fit in the space behind the center console.. just take it out of the case. I got mine for 350 bucks plus the chip and memory and video card(since I didnt want to use the onboard) used a hard drive I already had, for less then a grand
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Things I can eliminate:
Optical drive
Graphics card
HDD (maybe...2GB on a card is looking pretty good)
Excessive RAM (256MB will do)

I can load XP Pro for free, and the software that I will be using is free also. Will probably just plug a bluetooth adapter into the PC and leave it there, and one on the ECM as well. Keep the ideas coming...

Nate

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out with the old:

blech!

In with the new:

Yay! This one even works.

Next pics will be of my head after ceramic coating.

axshun17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for axshun17Send a Private Message to axshun17Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out the ITX form factor for your motherboard. There are some that are like 6"x6" and have about everything onboard. If you stick with a HD and stick in a little LCD and controls you could store music and other diagnostic software things like that on it. A laptop hard drive is small you could probably build something that would fit in the normal radio location. I've read a lot of these forums and to mod your brakes and add a rear anti sway plus weld in spacers instead of the bushings on your cradle mounts would cost you less than $400 and the power you will be pushing, it sounds like these things will be a necessity. Read that Agee (guy) or something like that brake mod what he says only cost like $200. If you live in Indy maybe when it gets done I can see you run it I'm about an hour north on 65 and just getting started myself on my Fiero projects.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by axshun17:

Check out the ITX form factor for your motherboard. There are some that are like 6"x6" and have about everything onboard. If you stick with a HD and stick in a little LCD and controls you could store music and other diagnostic software things like that on it. A laptop hard drive is small you could probably build something that would fit in the normal radio location. I've read a lot of these forums and to mod your brakes and add a rear anti sway plus weld in spacers instead of the bushings on your cradle mounts would cost you less than $400 and the power you will be pushing, it sounds like these things will be a necessity. Read that Agee (guy) or something like that brake mod what he says only cost like $200. If you live in Indy maybe when it gets done I can see you run it I'm about an hour north on 65 and just getting started myself on my Fiero projects.

That's the form factor I've been looking at. I also already have aluminum cradle bushings, going to go all poly elsewhere, and add a 1 1/4 bar on the back, along with a 2" lowering and coilovers. Eventually I plan to fit 17-18x11-12's out back. Right now the 205's will do though

I actually live in KS...Name is "FastIndy" cause it's an Indy Pace car...and...yeah. Indy Pace Car.

PFF
System Bot
axshun17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for axshun17Send a Private Message to axshun17Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.fierosails.com/index.html SECRETS has some good info. In case you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.webelectricmagazine.com/99/4/brakes.htm Has some real technical formulas and some good info to dial in your brakes the way you want them.

Looks like you have the suspension covered.
I was checking out "The Ogre" site he has some good info to but he said that the brake upgrades aren't as necessary as some say. ME???
Those motherbaords that your looking at are pretty amazing at what you can get and so small. Look up some Touch Screens (Crestron) is one I know of. You can get those setup with hot keys to different control pages in the PC and have slider bars and things like that to control everything. Fuel mixture, turbo whatever you need.
Good luck on this and keep us updated

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2005 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great...now where am I going to fit this?

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got hungry so I cooked me up the rest of a direct port nitrous system. Mmmmm....Tasty.

Nawwwwzzzz baby, nawwwwwzzzzz...

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bit of an update...
The shop has started with my intake, which will soon be the SD4 manifold from hell.
I've shipped my head and valves off to bryson to get ceram. coated (thanks!), and been calling around for custom pistons. Arias wants about $160 each for pistons, so I'm still looking around. So, right now, pretty much just playing the waiting game.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't responded in a while, but I'm still watching

Ouch $160 EACH for pistons?! KRP only wants $400 for the set of four, any reason theirs wouldn't work?

I finally found some connecting rods for my duke rebuild, but I emailed them and they place only sell them in sets of 8, for $181.44 + shipping...

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2005 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A true TSDB thread suprise....

Intake Manifold....DONE.

-10AN Fuel rail for good measure. I am planning on spraying up to a 150 shot.

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best part is...

The path of airflow. No intrusions.

Pic of the injector in its bore.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woo... Ahh, purdy...
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2005 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woo Hoo! You finally got some actual work done on that thing! How come you're not in chat anymore? Get your stupid wheat powered ISP working.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock