Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  My 1988 LFX F40 build. (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 1988 LFX F40 build. by Daryl M
Started on: 01-02-2019 10:42 PM
Replies: 669 (19633 views)
Last post by: Rdavis88 on 04-06-2024 10:42 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2019 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

Any idea where I can find a pair? Are they only from a 1988, or do other years have the same parts?

Held/Arraut used to make repros. Now that The Fiero Factory has bought them out, they will probably have them available when they re-start production of those pieces.
IP: Logged
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2019 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
Held/Arraut used to make repros. Now that The Fiero Factory has bought them out, they will probably have them available when they re-start production of those pieces.

Woah! This is epic news! My SLALOM front suspension needs some parts refreshed...
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2019 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

It is an 88 Formula or GT part. 4 cyl 88 coupes don't have them (unless they have been added).

Ask for them in the mall or on some of the facebook parts groups, call up the Fiero Factory, or reach out to your local 88 Fiero parts hoarder.

Great call Guru. Found a set at a good price in record time. Thanks.

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2019 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a question about front control arm bushings. I ordered some online for my 88 . The ones I received were the item shown. The bolt hole is the correct size, but the O.D. is 30mm. My lower control arms take 45mm. The question is did they send bushings for the wrong year or do I have an earlier front suspension? I don't know if 84-87s take a different size bushing or if Rock auto just dropped the ball. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Daryl
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2019 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Daryl M

687 posts
Member since Aug 2016

I have a question about front control arm bushings. I ordered some online for my 88 . The ones I received were the item shown. The bolt hole is the correct size, but the O.D. is 30mm. My lower control arms take 45mm. The question is did they send bushings for the wrong year or do I have an earlier front suspension? I don't know if 84-87s take a different size bushing or if Rock auto just dropped the ball. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Daryl

Never mind! I figured it out. These are for the upper arm.

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Worked on the rear sway bar arm today. One done, one to do. If my questionable welding holds up, they might just work.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got the bracket on the driver's side done. Still need to fabricate the frame mounts and get the correct length link bolts and paint. Gotta have paint to hide the ugly welds, but it seems to be coming right along.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Finally finished the rear sway bar. I used a torsion bar from a 1989 Isuzu Trooper. Total cost came to about $65.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you test fit sliding the rear cradle bolts in place yet?
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The sway bar will have to be removed and reinstalled after the cradle is in place.
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2019 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daryl,

FYI...While coming up with a solution for a reluctor wheel.. I read/found that the E39 ecu as well as my E92 don't like low tooth count VSS signal rates at low speeds.
In case yours does the same, I found and am installing one of the 32 tooth wheels from Davis Technologies...just slightly bored out their 1.75" rings to 1.768" for the saab/cobalt axle.
PFF
System Bot
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2019 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msweldon:

Daryl,

FYI...While coming up with a solution for a reluctor wheel.. I read/found that the E39 ecu as well as my E92 don't like low tooth count VSS signal rates at low speeds.
In case yours does the same, I found and am installing one of the 32 tooth wheels from Davis Technologies...just slightly bored out their 1.75" rings to 1.768" for the saab/cobalt axle.

Good to know! Thanks!

cyrus88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2019 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did this for when I needed better VSS for my LT-1 swap. If you're interested in more info, I will be glad to share.

[This message has been edited by cyrus88 (edited 06-27-2019).]

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I finally took time to work on the 88 GT today. Had to think a bit to figure where i was in the project. I decided to do a test fit of the cradle . everything seems to fit pretty well, but then i haven't heard what all of you think . please take a look at the photos and let me know where you see the warts.
Thanks
Daryl

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Daryl M

687 posts
Member since Aug 2016

Fyi to Guru.
Did a fitting of the cradle today. The bolts go in fine. I'm liking how the sway bar came out. If you see anymore questionable looking things, please keep mentioning them. I appreciate the long distance help.
Daryl
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

please take a look at the photos and let me know where you see the warts.

Access to the sway bar zerk fittings appears questionable.

Shift cables appear to have a tight bend radius coming out of the firewall -> might be bad for good shifter feel.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2019 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Access to the sway bar zerk fittings appears questionable.

Shift cables appear to have a tight bend radius coming out of the firewall -> might be bad for good shifter feel.

Zerk fittings are better than the photo indicates. Shifting? I'll let you know when it gets further along. Thanks for the observations.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2019 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I finally took time to work on the 88 GT today. Had to think a bit to figure where i was in the project. I decided to do a test fit of the cradle . everything seems to fit pretty well, but then i haven't heard what all of you think . please take a look at the photos and let me know where you see the warts.
Thanks
Daryl

What are you using for axles?

The F40 looks like it's further from the left frame rail than a typical installation. Likewise, the rear back cam cover looks closer to the strut tower than I would expect it to be, given that there are only 3 cylinders in that bank. IOW, your powertrain my be biased to the right a bit. I don't have typical Fiero cornerweights handy, but that may affect your cornerweighting.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 07-18-2019).]

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2019 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What are you using for axles?

The F40 looks like it's further from the left frame rail than a typical installation. Likewise, the rear back cam cover looks closer to the strut tower than I would expect it to be, given that there are only 3 cylinders in that bank. IOW, your powertrain my be biased to the right a bit. I don't have typical Fiero cornerweights handy, but that may affect your cornerweighting

I have Cobalt axles. Positioning may be slightly different than what you are used to because of how I designed the mounts. I blocked the engine/trans, suspension and axles in place on the cradle, then made the mounts. That way the axles and everything else were in the exact position I wanted before fabricating mounts.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2019 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Making sure you have symmetrical plunge clearance in the inner CV joints is what's going to dictate your left/right position of the powertrain if your axles are picked ahead of time.

Have you already run the suspension through its full range of travel to verify the CV joints look good at all positions?
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Making sure you have symmetrical plunge clearance in the inner CV joints is what's going to dictate your left/right position of the powertrain if your axles are picked ahead of time.

Have you already run the suspension through its full range of travel to verify the CV joints look good at all positions?

Correct. That is why i assemballed the suspebsion, axles and associated apparatus before centering the engine/transmission unit and fabbed the mounts. Having a center axle shaft and two identical length axle shafts does make the job simpler.

PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know the Cobalt SS supercharged axles fit the F40 and I am assuming that is what you are using. But it got me wondering because I have never looked, do base model Cobalts use the same axles?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

I know the Cobalt SS supercharged axles fit the F40 and I am assuming that is what you are using. But it got me wondering because I have never looked, do base model Cobalts use the same axles?

No.
The F35 has the same 27 spline spider gears as the F40, but it was only used in the SS version of the Cobalts. The standard models used the F23 which uses the stock Fiero axles.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2019 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No.
The F35 has the same 27 spline spider gears as the F40, but it was only used in the SS version of the Cobalts. The standard models used the F23 which uses the stock Fiero axles.

Yes, the Ss Cobalt Supercharged axles are what i am using.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2019 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick question. I bought a parts car with a nice interior for my 88 swap project. The parts car is ab 86 GT. Will all of the interior and dash items interchange with the 88?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2019 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quick question. I bought a parts car with a nice interior for my 88 swap project. The parts car is ab 86 GT. Will all of the interior and dash items interchange with the 88?

Yes.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2019 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes.

Thanks
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appologise in advance for not knowing how to mark areas on photos, but these photos are of various hose connections on my LFX engine. I am struggling with what they all are, what they connect to and if they are necessary. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Daryl
Additional info:
Pic 1. 3 hose fittingsfor coolant near radiator hose fitting.

Pic 2. Black hose from radiator hose fitting and vacuum hose fitting from gadget attached to intake plenum.

Pic3. Metal hose fitting @ left end of cam cover.

Pic 4. Another angle of pic 1. Also shows fuel inlet from tank.

Pic 5. Taped over AC hose connection point on AC compressor.

Pic 6. Vent connection on right end of cam cover.

Pic 7. Close up of pic 2

Pic 8. Relocated oil fill cap.

Pic. 9. Fitting on intake.

[This message has been edited by Daryl M (edited 11-04-2019).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2019 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#1 picture is outlets to heater core piping Rest I dont know not familiar with this engine
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I appologise in advance for not knowing how to mark areas on photos, but these photos are of various hose connections on my LFX engine. I am struggling with what they all are, what they connect to and if they are necessary. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Daryl
Additional info:
Pic 1. 3 hose fittingsfor coolant near radiator hose fitting.

Pic 2. Black hose from radiator hose fitting and vacuum hose fitting from gadget attached to intake plenum.

Pic3. Metal hose fitting @ left end of cam cover.

Pic 4. Another angle of pic 1. Also shows fuel inlet from tank.

Pic 5. Taped over AC hose connection point on AC compressor.

Pic 6. Vent connection on right end of cam cover.

Pic 7. Close up of pic 2

Pic 8. Relocated oil fill cap.

Pic. 9. Fitting on intake.

1. Two heater core fittings plus a connection to the pressurized surge tank
2. Possible throttle body coolant + high point bleed connection to pressurized surge tank
3. Probably PCV vacuum connection
4. Ok.
5. It's taped over.
6. Probably PCV fresh air connection
7. Ok.
8. Ok.
9. Probably PCV fresh air connection. If you rotate the tube, it'll probably line up with the fitting in #6.

Looks like you have a broken fitting on your intake manifold above the center cylinder in the rear bank.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 11-05-2019).]

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2. Possible throttle body coolant + high point bleed connection to pressurized surge tank
4. Ok.
5. It's taped over.
7. Ok.
8. Ok.
9. Probably PCV fresh air connection. If you rotate the tube, it'll probably line up with the fitting in #6.

Looks like you have a broken fitting on your intake manifold above the center cylinder in the rear bank.

Thanks, this is a big help.

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What fitting did you use for the relocated oil fill?
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

4. Ok.
5. It's taped over.
7. Ok.
8. Ok.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I found this photo of the donor car before the engine came out.

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Daryl M

687 posts
Member since Aug 2016

Looks like #9 goes to #6 and the small black hose goes to the coolant fill reservoir. The gadget may be to the fuel tank vent. What do you think Will?

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Daryl M

687 posts
Member since Aug 2016

Oh, by the way, that broken fitting is really just a mount for the top engine fascia. It doesn't go anywhere.

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Daryl M

687 posts
Member since Aug 2016

4. Ok.
5. It's taped over.
7. Ok.
8. Ok.

Looks kinda like the origional position of the reservoir and the fuel line vent pipe i found in the pile of parts seems to fit.

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2019 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Daryl M

687 posts
Member since Aug 2016

What fitting did you use for the relocated oil fill?

The origional from the front bank has a short extention neck that I epoxied onto the rear bank, then used the stock cap. I plugged the old filler with a Dorman replacement cap.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2019 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks kinda like the origional position of the reservoir and the fuel line vent pipe i found in the pile of parts seems to fit.

The small hose may have gone under the intake neck, but otherwise looks reasonable.

ETA: NVM, I hadn't seen your photo of the donor car.

Did you try spinning the intake boot?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 11-06-2019).]

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2019 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The small hose may have gone under the intake neck, but otherwise looks reasonable.

Yes, I spun the boot and things lined up nicely.
Thanks

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2019 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Daryl M

687 posts
Member since Aug 2016

Still looking for where the hose fitting in photo #3 should go. I remember hearing that there may not be a pcv valve on this engine.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock