Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  My 1988 LFX F40 build. (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 1988 LFX F40 build. by Daryl M
Started on: 01-02-2019 10:42 PM
Replies: 669 (19701 views)
Last post by: Rdavis88 on 04-06-2024 10:42 PM
Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2021 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

Good idea. I made the stock banjo adjustable by cutting it and then welding in some threaded rod and adding a coupling nut.

I considered that, but the Saab unit is plastic. Didn't think I could thread the plastic shaft and have it hold up.
IP: Logged
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2022 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Daryl M:

This project has a new owner. Due to health concerns, I will not be able to finish it so I have found a new owner for it. Thanks to everyone who has helped with advice over the years. It has been a fun project and everyone's help was greatly appreciated.
ChuckR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2022 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about the health concerns. I wish you the best. Thank you for sharing your experiences with this project. I am sorry to not be able to see it conclusion with you. The new owner has a well documented project thanks in part to this thread. Do you know if the new owner will continue to update us on the progress of this project? That would be wonderful if so. Please keep us up to date with you aw well. Thank you again for sharing your process with us all!
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2022 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChuckR:

Sorry to hear about the health concerns. I wish you the best. Thank you for sharing your experiences with this project. I am sorry to not be able to see it conclusion with you. The new owner has a well documented project thanks in part to this thread. Do you know if the new owner will continue to update us on the progress of this project? That would be wonderful if so. Please keep us up to date with you aw well. Thank you again for sharing your process with us all!

I don't know if he will or not. He takes possession in a couple of weeks. I'll try to post last photos before he takes the project.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2022 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am no longer a Fiero owner. If my project was going to see completion, someone else was going to have to do it, so I am happy to report that Saturday the new owner and I caravaned from one end of the Phoenix metro area to the other, both of us pulling a trailer with a Fiero on it. I still have a load of parts in my shop, but they will be at it's new home over the next few weeks. I am confident that the new owner will finish the project. He has owned Fieros for many years and is a gifted builder.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2022 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got a text from the friend that bought my project. He drove it off the trailer and around the block today. So good to see it making progress. If I still had it it would still be gathering dust in my shop.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2022 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm happy that it's found a good home.
Do take care of yourself. Don't be a stranger.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2022 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I'm happy that it's found a good home.
Do take care of yourself. Don't be a stranger.

Thanks
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rdavis88

14 posts
Member since May 2022
I now have Daryl's Fiero. Her is a picture.
ChuckR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2022 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Daryl for keeping us updated. I truly appreciate your sharing of this project with us all.

Thank you Rdavis88 for posting the picture. Are you going to continue to update this thread with any progress on this build?
PFF
System Bot
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2022 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick, I hope you do continue the updates. Many on this forum have been following the car's progress.
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2022 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will continue to post on this thread. Working on AC system at the moment. I don't understand the variable displacement compressor.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2022 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rdavis88:

I will continue to post on this thread. Working on AC system at the moment. I don't understand the variable displacement compressor.

Rick, on the first page of this thread, January 18, 2019, there is info about the compressor. There are also links to a page explaining how to modify a VDC to no longer be variable.
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2022 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I found the issue with the AC system. I charged it from the low pressure side. The compressor needs pressure on high side to engage the compressor. The compressor never pumped and never took any refrigerant through the system.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2022 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think I found the issue with the AC system. I charged it from the low pressure side. The compressor needs pressure on high side to engage the compressor. The compressor never pumped and never took any refrigerant through the system.

Interesting! Hopefully it will function without further trouble.
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2022 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The compressor is still not working. In never switches to full stroke on compressor. I get very little difference between high and low pressure sides. High was close to 150, while low was over 110. That is too high on low side and too low on high side. I wonder if I should actuate the compressor and weld in place?
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2022 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2022 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I welded the compressor at full stroke and got a little cooling, but something is still wrong. It does not have enough pressure difference. Seems like compressor now has an internal leak.
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2022 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took Fiero out for a drive today. Drove nice but won't rev past 5000 RPM. I have a few check engine codes, I don't know if they are causing it to shut down. Feels like rev limiter at 5k RPM.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2022 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rick, Any updates on this build?
PFF
System Bot
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2022 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the engine to go all the way to 7k by adding the speed input. I had to trick it a little to get it to work. I will add a second one to run the speedometer. I also rebuilt steering column and put on gt steering wheel. I got the mirrors, door locks and and windows wired in on driver's side. Still need passenger side door rebuilt. I picked a paint color ( dark metallic red) and plan on spraying roof and rear fast back soon. Next step will be window glass.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2022 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got the engine to go all the way to 7k by adding the speed input. I had to trick it a little to get it to work. I will add a second one to run the speedometer. I also rebuilt steering column and put on gt steering wheel. I got the mirrors, door locks and and windows wired in on driver's side. Still need passenger side door rebuilt. I picked a paint color ( dark metallic red) and plan on spraying roof and rear fast back soon. Next step will be window glass.

Glad to get a progress report. How does the engine pull at higher rpms ?
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2023 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have made a bit more progress and plan to work through the summer on this Fiero.
ChuckR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2023 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update. Would like to know how it is running on the swap. New paint looks good compared to the harlequin it was.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2023 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great progress. It will good to see it finished.
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2023 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2023 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rdavis88

14 posts
Member since May 2022
Engine is very strong, it pulls hard to 7k. I would guess it is about 4.5 seconds 0 to 60. My goal over the next couple months is to finish interior and go back to painting panels. There is also a bit of wiring and gauge work to do.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2023 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to hear about the progress. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds is pretty quick, isn't it? If it pulls hard to 7000 rpm, it could be a pretty fast car. Any plans on visiting a dyno?
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In think it still doesn't have enough fuel supply to the engine. I am planning to get it out of storage in the next few weeks. I want to finish the interior and start working on the painting again. It still has a couple electrical gremlins but easy to fix.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock