Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  300WHP Supernatural 3.XX Coming Soon! (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
300WHP Supernatural 3.XX Coming Soon! by La fiera
Started on: 01-01-2018 09:47 PM
Replies: 534 (17078 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 01-15-2024 10:39 AM
ragoldsmith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2020 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragoldsmithSend a Private Message to ragoldsmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

You can steal it from me because I stole it from the Ferrari's F1 cars of the 60's and 70's!

Oh ha ha guess that’s why it looks great!
IP: Logged
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2020 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lifters came in and now I can install the rockers!
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2020 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just noticed that you still have a dirty cold start injector and radiator fan switches on your intake; you shouldn't need those with MegaSquirt!

I haven't figured out what's happening with your water pump, hmmm
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2020 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the fan switch got replaced by another fan switch to work in tandem with the re designed cooling system. I'll get more details later about that system.
everyone will benefit from it.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2020 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2020 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what exhaust are you using? what are those headers for.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2020 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

what exhaust are you using? what are those headers for.

The dual setup on the left replaced the Y pipe on the right.

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 12-16-2020).]

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2020 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

La fiera

2194 posts
Member since Jun 2008

This is how it looks installed.

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 12-16-2020).]

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2020 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

La fiera

2194 posts
Member since Jun 2008
This is now.

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2020 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to paint your ice chest red and engrave "FIERO" on the sides?
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2020 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Going to paint your ice chest red and engrave "FIERO" on the sides?

Heck no!

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2020 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I came home to a surprise on the mail! It's a long weekend so, yep I'll get up early tomorrow and start tearing the engine and trans out.

Ahh... found it. QDF17B
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2020 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If switching from a 2.8 to a 3.4, the 2.8 doesn't use a cam sensor. For a cleaner looking swap you can use one of these.

And it'll look like this!
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2020 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/o7PU1S0FPb4

Valve train comparison between 3.4 Supernatural vs stock vs 3.7 Supernatural. The 3.4 Supernatural parts where a bit heavier than stock and I was able to achieve good results.
Now, the 3.7 Supernatural is a different breed. Much lighter spring, valve and hardware.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2020 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what's the target RPM limit? 8000+?
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2020 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

So what's the target RPM limit? 8000+?

I believe I can get there with no problem and even higher, the question now is will the power be at that RPM.
With the previous valvetrain I could feel a bit of power loss at 6900-7200RPMs and I knew the problem was the amount
of mass the springs had to overcome as the RPMs climbed with the heavy SS oversized valves I was using. The engine had a peculiar sound, like valves floating.
And could not get the best out of the camshaft at the higher RPMs. I'm pretty sure I could've gotten another 30whp but the valvetrain was the limiting factor.
One of my worries at those RPMs was the stock rods I was using. They were ARP's bolt upgraded but still, my gut was wrenching when I saw the tack hit 7200RPMs.
That's why I decided to go lighter and going with beehive springs. The beehive springs I run now are made for endurance (LeMans, Daytona, Sebring, etc).
Every LS engine runing the IMSA prototype category uses the same part# and brand I'm using, they were not cheap.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2020 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I wasn't sure if you were trying to hit a certain RPM goal.

Regardless, it'll reduce parasitic power loss, especially at high RPM. Also, valve float will be moved higher up the RPM range. But of course, you know these things. I'm just saying this for the benefit of other viewers.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2021 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some eye candy!!

Valve covers modded and powdered coated anodized red. I need some help in finding a throwout bearing spacer. Where can I find that?
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2021 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What clutch? I know Spec makes spacers for different conversion setups.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2021 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

What clutch? I know Spec makes spacers for different conversion setups.

Its for a Spec. I compare the Spec clutch vs the clutch I previously used and the stack height is different.
The Spec is about 1/4 inch shorter in stack height. I've seen the spacers with the clutch kits from Spec but couldn't find the spacers by themselves.

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 01-24-2021).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2021 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably just need to call SPEC and ask.
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2021 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like mentioned I do not think they just list them but I do know they have a variety of different spacers. I am sure if you know your air gap they can get a spacer that is close enough.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2021 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Like mentioned I do not think they just list them but I do know they have a variety of different spacers. I am sure if you know your air gap they can get a spacer that is close enough.

Yes, I called them today and I have the part on the way. Thanks for everyone's imput!

Rei
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2021 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Probably just need to call SPEC and ask.

Thanks Will. Called Spec and spoke to Danny, he knew what I needed and I have the part coming on the way!

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 01-26-2021).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear!

I'm probably going to have a similar issue with the PTT clutch in an F23, but I'm not sure if I'll end up using GM's HTOB or PTT's or Tilton's or what.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I would have done that with my valve covers. My engine has the sheet-metal valve covers (very thin metal!). I was able to find a spacer, but needed 2 sets of valve cover gaskets (one under the spacer, and one between the spacer and the valve cover). Getting all that stuff lined up was kind of a pain. It also required longer bolts. Plus the sheet-metal valve covers use cork gaskets, which can be problematic.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good to hear!

I'm probably going to have a similar issue with the PTT clutch in an F23, but I'm not sure if I'll end up using GM's HTOB or PTT's or Tilton's or what.

If you don't already know, the F23 HTOB and input shaft seal are integral, so you will need a way to seal the input shaft if you use something other than GM.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2021 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already have both the Metric bellhousing gearbox and the 3.63 XFE gearbox... Have pulled the HTOB off one of them to check it out. Yeah, GM makes things like that so much fun.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2021 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
???
How close are we in hearing it run?
kevin
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2021 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Going in!!
Weather is nice so I think I'll have it in this week. I have to do some more installation of other systems for me to be able to start it. But overall I should be able to fire it up in a couple of weeks!
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the red, white, and blue colors.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did some progress today. I should be firing her up in a couple of weeks!
Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks good!
Can't wait to hear it start!

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. Sticky tyres. Driven hard!
https://www.youtube.com/cha...1wZvWQlkYxTjivW_0XNg

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2021 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But overall I should be able to fire it up in a couple of weeks!

Seems like you accelerated your schedule!
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2021 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Seems like you accelerated your schedule!

Well it's been 3 years since I started building this engine and I haven't taken the car to the track since 2013. Since I have easier access to track days for free I want to be able to track the Fiero as much as posible and develop the handling, braking and aero. The primary goal for this project is to compete in Time Trial events. First tentative track shakedown is April 30th to May 2nd at Summit Point raceway Main course.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/9irVohKOVVo Pump up the volume!

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 03-20-2021).]

claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm very happy for you, as you say you've been working on it for 3 years and now the results are there. Come back to us with more videos.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by claude dalpe:

I'm very happy for you, as you say you've been working on it for 3 years and now the results are there. Come back to us with more videos.

Thank you Claude! Now that the engine runs and the problem with the transmission is fixed I can concentrate on the brakes and aero mods!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock