Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  300WHP Supernatural 3.XX Coming Soon! (Page 14)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
300WHP Supernatural 3.XX Coming Soon! by La fiera
Started on: 01-01-2018 09:47 PM
Replies: 534 (17093 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 01-15-2024 10:39 AM
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2023 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

He deleted his youtube account, and switched over to Rumble. Here's a link to his channel: https://rumble.com/user/LaFieraV6

That said, I haven't been on PFF in awhile. Dang, that sucks about the engine. I've also been guilty of flashing the MS while idling, and never had a problem. That's weird. Hopefully, you can just toss a bearing in it.

Yes, I've always flashed the MS with the car running but to do major changes like trigger offset, the engine must be off. That's the kind of reflash that requires power cycle.
IP: Logged
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2023 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bearings 4 and 5 are gone. 4 is completely gone and the 5 rod didn't overheat. In other words the damage is is minor.
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2023 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best outcome of a bad situation!
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2023 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

Bearings 4 and 5 are gone. 4 is completely gone and the 5 rod didn't overheat. In other words the damage is is minor.

Ok, clearly that's not related to your flash and only coincidentally happened at the same time.

You already said you're changing out this assembly, but the post-mortem investigation is still important.

How does #3 main bearing look? If #4 & #5 rods BOTH had problems, I'd place oil supply from #3 main very high on the suspect list; either a blockage in the oil passages inside the crank or a blockage of oil TO the crank.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2023 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Ok, clearly that's not related to your flash and only coincidentally happened at the same time.

You already said you're changing out this assembly, but the post-mortem investigation is still important.

How does #3 main bearing look? If #4 & #5 rods BOTH had problems, I'd place oil supply from #3 main very high on the suspect list; either a blockage in the oil passages inside the crank or a blockage of oil TO the crank.

The overheated cap happened after the accident. I've had the pan off the engine recently and after that had ran the engine twice before this happened. I don't know how #3 looks yet but your reasoning is a posibility. I've never had any oil pressure issues before. But after the accident I had the engine running trying to diagnose a sound that was just like a squeeky belt. Well, looking at that cap color I know what the squeeky sound was. I also notice the oil pressure dropped substantially. But yes, I will check all the passages like you recommend. Thanks you Will!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2023 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, you got lucky with this. Things could have been MUCH worse.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2023 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Wow, you got lucky with this. Things could have been MUCH worse.

Yes, that's why when I started to hear the belt squeeking sound and the oil pressure drop I concluded, "Its dunn" and shut it immediately not to make matters worse.
Aero6351

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2023 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Aero6351Send a Private Message to Aero6351Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to say this was a great thread to read through.
I admire your creativity and problem solving! I'm not super knowledgeable about engine building but I'd like to think I learned a bit from this thread. Props on accomplishing your goal, even if it didn't end as planned

ps:
looking forward to the 9k build!
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2023 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Aero6351:

Just wanted to say this was a great thread to read through.
I admire your creativity and problem solving! I'm not super knowledgeable about engine building but I'd like to think I learned a bit from this thread. Props on accomplishing your goal, even if it didn't end as planned

ps:
looking forward to the 9k build!

Thank you very much Aero and I'm glad you enjoyed it also.

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2023 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All bearings look very good except #4. My post mortem is: I hit the keyboard and it hammered #4 and spun the bearing. Everything else looks immaculate. Cams and lifters look brand new, lobes have the required height (I measured them).

Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2023 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is awesome news man. I'm glad to hear that everything else checked out!
PFF
System Bot
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2024 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

Finally got it to where I can drive it to the dyno on its own power. After fixing the fuel flow problem, the ECU setting problems and other problems I was able to Dyno it. But driving to the dyno and at the dyno I had a problem, it didn't wanted to go over 5000RPMs. It felt like it was hitting the rev limiter even though I set the limiter at 9000RPMs. I did log every pull so I got plenty of data to analyze.
This is the Camaro 3.4L bored out to meet 3.7L, same iron heads, no juice, super or turbo charger; all NA.

324WHP & 360WtQ @ 4900RPMs

After installing the newer engine I finally figured out what was preventing this engine from making torque past 4300 and hp past 4900rpms. After installing the 3.7L long rod engine I had the same exact problem at the same RPMs. So what I did was to take away fuel from 4300 up by about 30% to 7800 and the engine revved crispy clean and I was able to do street pulls on 3rd gear all the way to redline, 7800 with no problem. Took the air filter off and did the same test and it fell on its face without misfiring. Added the same 30% fuel that I had previously past 4900 and it pulled very hard up to redline. So, the problem was the air filter. It didn't flow enough airflow for what the engine was asking past 4900rpms. It happens to the best of us, it's the little things that get you!

Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2024 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I had the same thing happen with my old '77 Trans Am. I had to cut a second air intake hole on the filter aasembly. Just wasn't breathing properly with all the engine mods!

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. - The fastest Fiero in France! @turboslugfiero
https://youtu.be/hUzOAeyWLfM

[This message has been edited by Frenchrafe (edited 01-15-2024).]

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2024 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
6 plus years on and your still putting engine together? You and Will have a challenge going?
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2024 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

6 plus years on and your still putting engine together? You and Will have a challenge going?

Yes I know! You have to remember that what Will and I are doing is our hobby, it is not to please anybody but us because we are the ones putting the time and money in these projects. Yes, we share our stuff here so people get a glimpse of what we have done to help them if they want to do something similar in the future. Then you got life's responsibilities, that's why we don't post much because time is limited. I don't know what Will is up to but I have 3 more engines that I'm working on besides the one in the car that is up and running.
So yes, it might take me some time but when I say "I'll make this and that" I always deliver; I said I'd make 250WHP and 300WHP and I didn't disappoint anyone. Father always told me over and over, "Don't get into a fight that you know you are going to loose"!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock