Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  300WHP Supernatural 3.XX Coming Soon! (Page 12)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
300WHP Supernatural 3.XX Coming Soon! by La fiera
Started on: 01-01-2018 09:47 PM
Replies: 534 (17091 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 01-15-2024 10:39 AM
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2021 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's messed up. But yeah, it's amazing the thing held together that long.
IP: Logged
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2021 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

New "right" adapter is in place.

4 quarts of mineral high quality-high ZDDP-Molly oil to finish the piston rings breaking process.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2021 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOOOO0OOOOOOT
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2021 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2021 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BLING!
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2021 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/HjsCYA20rhk

I've been working on making the exhaust more efficient, here it is!
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2021 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

https://youtu.be/HjsCYA20rhk

I've been working on making the exhaust more efficient, here it is!

Got a bit to overcome with that port spacing. What are those headers originally from?
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2021 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Got a bit to overcome with that port spacing. What are those headers originally from?

Not really, a bit of fabricarion will take care of that.
I went fishing and found these! Why should I give them the fish when I just showed them how to fish?
Let them gain their dignity by doing the homework!
This freaking generation wants everyting easy without puttting effort!
claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2021 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really well said Rei !
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2021 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I went fishing and found these! Why should I give them the fish when I just showed them how to fish?

Fabrication is becoming a lost art. What ever happened to "make it yourself?"
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2021 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

really? which generation does the almighty La fiera belong? how about everyone else on here?

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

PFF
System Bot
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2021 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

Fabrication is becoming a lost art. What ever happened to "make it yourself?"

That's what I meant!

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2021 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

La fiera

2197 posts
Member since Jun 2008

Originally posted by ericjon262:

really? which generation does the almighty La fiera belong? how about everyone else on here?

I'm sorry but I think you misunderstood the statement. I'm an imperfect human just like everyone else.
What I meant was that this generation of hot rodders wants to achieve their goal without doing homework and not taking the time to research and develop systems.
They just ask around or copy whatever everyone else is doing. When they fail to achieve that goal and someone else comes along and does better than them they question the validity of his results.
Why? "Because I tried and couldn't do it" is their argument.
I'm doing the same thing that Will, Patrick, Lou Dias and yourself are doing; putting a lot of effort on ideas to make our projects more efficient. We don't depend in what's available, we make our own stuff.
If we can't make it we find someone who can make our ideas a reality.

Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2021 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sorry but I think you misunderstood the statement. I'm an imperfect human just like everyone else.
What I meant was that this generation of hot rodders wants to achieve their goal without doing homework and not taking the time to research and develop systems.
They just ask around or copy whatever everyone else is doing. When they fail to achieve that goal and someone else comes along and does better than them they question the validity of his results.
Why? "Because I tried and couldn't do it" is their argument.
I'm doing the same thing that Will, Patrick, Lou Dias and yourself are doing; putting a lot of effort on ideas to make our projects more efficient. We don't depend in what's available, we make our own stuff.
If we can't make it we find someone who can make our ideas a reality.

I am not ashamed to admit I can't do it myself, and I wait for people like you, Will, FieroGuru (and others) to come up with ways to make it work... and then I open my wallet.
Flip side, I am proud to say that on the rare times I've tried something and failed, I don't question those that succeed, I freely give credit where it's due and say "Cool man... I couldn't do that."

And Rei, I know you weren't taking a shot at me or guys like me, just wanted to say I knew where you were coming from, I could see how it could be perceived in other ways. Thanks for sharing your progress with us!
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2021 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

I am not ashamed to admit I can't do it myself, and I wait for people like you, Will, FieroGuru (and others) to come up with ways to make it work... and then I open my wallet.
Flip side, I am proud to say that on the rare times I've tried something and failed, I don't question those that succeed, I freely give credit where it's due and say "Cool man... I couldn't do that."

And Rei, I know you weren't taking a shot at me or guys like me, just wanted to say I knew where you were coming from, I could see how it could be perceived in other ways. Thanks for sharing your progress with us!

Thank you Vince! When you get your monster done, come up my way and I'll treat your to Burrito Loco. ONE burrito only not 2 like last time
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2021 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Supernatural 3.7L AKA The Honey Badger!
I will be out for a while due to the severity of my injury at work and I'm trying to do as much as possible before I become still. I've been working on the aero nose for a while. I would have not been able to get it right without the help from Mike AKA Blacktree. He provided the nose and hood.There's still more to come so stay tuned!
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2021 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, that front end looks familiar.

Fun fact: I did some tuft testing, with the old version and the current version of the hood vents. The old version (one big opening) created a crapload of turbulence on the hood (i.e. lots of drag). The current version created less turbulence.

I say this, because I think your original hood had a big vent on it. This new hood might reduce your aero drag a bit.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2021 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Hey, that front end looks familiar.

Fun fact: I did some tuft testing, with the old version and the current version of the hood vents. The old version (one big opening) created a crapload of turbulence on the hood (i.e. lots of drag). The current version created less turbulence.

I say this, because I think your original hood had a big vent on it. This new hood might reduce your aero drag a bit.

Hey Blacktree - marginally off topic but that is some good information! I take the "warber" style hoods would probably have that same turbulence? Is that what your old version was or something different? Something I might want to update in my future body mod plans. Thanks!

(sorry for the sidebar)
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The old hood vent was more aggressive than the Warber style vent. The Warber vent basically just dips into the hood a couple inches. My old vent did that, plus the leading edge was raised up a couple inches. So the opening was pretty big. A couple photos:

After some testing, I decided the opening was too large. There wasn't enough airflow thru the vent to maintain a decent airspeed. That caused a bunch of turbulence. I guess bigger isn't always better.

I should also clarify, the twin vents didn't get rid of the turbulence. But they did reduce it. If I could do it over again, I think I would reduce the height of the part that sticks up from the hood... maybe just make a lip instead of a bubble. That should reduce the turbulence some more.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/AjDy3Va9SAA

Ignition module problem fixed now I can tune it properly!
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2021 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOoooOOO0O0o0o0OOT
PFF
System Bot
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Breaking-in the engine safely at the Dyno! Enjoy the music!
https://youtu.be/T4iJR7vKWPM
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Were you still able to get hp readings from the dyno without the RPM pickup working?

Did you notice if hp increased as the engine broke in over the 4 hours of running?
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2021 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Were you still able to get hp readings from the dyno without the RPM pickup working?

Did you notice if hp increased as the engine broke in over the 4 hours of running?

Not really, I was not prepared for that. As you heard the car was having a hard time with the tuning I've been running Alpha-N but is very difficult and time consuming to tune, I'll be going back to SD or a SD/Alpha-N blend map. This time I just wanted to break in the engine and make sure everything was working fine. Make sure the water pump kept the temperature in check and monitor oil temp. All was fine, water didn't get hotter than 160F and oil was right around 250F when running it hard.
I would do a 20min session and let it cool down and then do that again for 4 hours. By the end of the 4 hours I could feel the engine more responsive and how effortless it would climb the rpm to the 6800rpm rev limiter.

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 11-10-2021).]

eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2021 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rei Im loving the effort put into the 60v6 I would love to learn everything from your experience that you are willing to share, I am building an LZ9 swapped Brunton Stalker and I sent you a PM.

I look forward to hearing back from you and see how the build keeps progressing

Chris
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2021 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eph_kay:

Rei Im loving the effort put into the 60v6 I would love to learn everything from your experience that you are willing to share, I am building an LZ9 swapped Brunton Stalker and I sent you a PM.

I look forward to hearing back from you and see how the build keeps progressing

Chris

Responded!

zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2021 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds wicked! I want in car footage at the track
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2021 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:

Sounds wicked! I want in car footage at the track

My goal is to give it a shake down this coming year at the three tracks I instruct performance driving. The suspenssion is set up so the shakedowns will be to test suspenssion tuning, engine response, engine endurance and overall performance. Right now I'm working on a Alpha-N / Speed Density hybrid tune to maximize AFRs. Stay tuned!

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2022 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been a while and I've been doing little things to the car because I can only do so much after my surgery but it's getting there.
I'm almost done with the nose and fixed the "parachute" effect of the rear bumper.

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2022 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2022 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol man, you have been putting that down time to good use coming up with that slick intro movie.

I'm glad you're doing better!

Even if you aren't sure if you can make it, have you made a reservation for the GM Nationals at Carlisle? The hotels fill up fast.
PFF
System Bot
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2022 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lol man, you have been putting that down time to good use coming up with that slick intro movie.

I'm glad you're doing better!

Even if you aren't sure if you can make it, have you made a reservation for the GM Nationals at Carlisle? The hotels fill up fast.

Had a lot of time to think and come up with stuff! I don't like hotels so if I decide to go hotel reservations won't stop me from going. I'd rather sleep in my car.(not the Fiero but the towing vehicle.) I got the trailer and the suburban to tow it there, I just need to make sure I have the days off.

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2022 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/TpyLSoqbEKE

This is a very short test drive I did to see how the right ignition setting made the engine behave. With the wrong settings I only read 375F degrees of temperature on the headers at idle. With the right settings it read about 750F and the engine sounded smoother and very crispy. I shorten the video, but the start is from cold ambient temperature (85F). You'll notice how clean the engine sounds while backing off my driveway is very clean and if you pay attention to the sound when I'm coming up the hill you can hear a little misfire, that's the AFR at 15:1! Now I can dial in fuel because the engine has the spark energy it needs! Throttle response is mind boggling now! Listen to the throttle blips while downshifting right before pulling in the driveway!

Things I have not mentioned lately is that I have 3 different short blocks at different rod ratios! One finished and 2 on the making and also a set of prototype aluminum heads. Reason for the aluminum heads is not looking for more flow because I proved Iron heads can make power as much as aluminum heads, but looking to shave some weight off the car.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2022 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you said you didn't have your ignition set right, do you mean your timing was off?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2022 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had inferred it was getting the dwell or spark duration (ringing) for his coils right rather than timing.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2022 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With the wrong settings I only read 375F degrees of temperature on the headers at idle. With the right settings it read about 750F

"Optimizing" the ignition timing so that more work is done on the piston would result in cooler exhaust gas, not hotter exhaust gas.

So it sounds like more dwell is allowing the mixture to burn each time.

********************************************************************************

Could also be retarded timing with a closed throttle, which advances to optimal when the throttle is opened for a blip, which might give a nice feeling.

********************************************************************************

Reminds me of a work colleague I have; he likes to give us riddles to solve.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2022 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Reminds me of a work colleague I have; he likes to give us riddles to solve.

LOL, I can imagine La Fiera right now, just like this:

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2022 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When you said you didn't have your ignition set right, do you mean your timing was off?

like Will said,the dwell was wrong and after I fixed the Dwell I could dial in the timing!

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2022 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

La fiera

2197 posts
Member since Jun 2008
besides the dwell there was another setting which was drowning the engine. All fixed now.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2022 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that you've got this build done, and before you start your next build, can you please make a list here of all the mods that you made? The post is 12 pages long now and I'm too lazy to go through with a fine-toothed comb to make the list myself
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock