Started on: 06-19-2012 04:54 AM
Replies: 306 (26933 views)
Last post by: Quadfather on 10-02-2022 07:45 AM
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured I would start page 6 with a good pic.

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

Very nice work. Are you concerned that it might be too loud?

I do have a muffling/resonater tip I am putting on. (Same brand as used on Ferrari's and Lambo's stock)

Here are my thoughts on it,
When Fierobsessed had it in his Indy he did not have any kind of muffler, his was loud.
My Turbo 3.4 GT has no muffler and just the tips, it is not too loud, loud yes but not too bad, much quieter than no tips.
My friends 4.9 has just the tips too, and his is not too bad either.
When Fierobsessed notched the cradle for his exhaust he took out one of the mounting points for a stock style muffler, so that was out too.
I want the best MPG I can get out of it, so straight through it is.
And being able to drown out the hon-duh fart can or vette next to me is just pricless.

I wouldn't mind quite, but it is what it is and if I find it being too much I can always do something else on it.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 01-08-2013).]

IP: Logged
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Beretta had a completely worn out catalytic converter, so it was pretty much a straight pipe with a cheap muffler with a splitter at the end. It was louder than most cars but not annoyingly so. If I ever get to that point, my plan is to run the down pipe from the manifold toward the passenger side, then do a 180-degree bend back to the muffler in the stock location.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have duals, X-pipe and cats on my Northstar--which is basically two Q4's--and it's not bad... not quiet but not nearly as loud as it was with the straight pipes.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-02-2013).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on how it all comes together I may just start it up with out the tip, just to see how loud it is.
But even then it won't be as loud at idle as it will be at 7400 RPM.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the fuel rail bolted on. I used new o-rings on the injectors (They came with the gasket set)

Some of the shift brackets.

For the side bracket the holes are there, but not tapped out, They have to be drilled out a little and then tapped.
Make sure to use a good quality tap, like Craftsman, the cheap Harbor Freight taps make the hole a bit bigger and then the bolts are loose.

The lower side bracket on.

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd just like to take a moment and thank you again for posting all these photos and tips. They're a tremendous help, since my swap is taking so much longer than I had planned and hoped.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The thermostat gasket is cool, it has one side that is sticky so it sticks to the stat housing and makes a good seal. I still used RTV on the other side as I hate leaks.

Other parts bolted on.

I got new spark plugs for it (AC Delco) and gapped them to .035 I torqued them to the spaecs on the cam covers.
The IDI cover is bolted down and ready to go.
As is sits now.

Now I have to bring my car to the shop and pull the duke out and prep the Fiero for it's new powerplant.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 01-08-2013).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003

I'd just like to take a moment and thank you again for posting all these photos and tips. They're a tremendous help, since my swap is taking so much longer than I had planned and hoped.

My swap is taking alot longer than I thought too. Thanks for the comments, I'm glad to know this all is helping out. I was hoping this thread would help anyone ever working with a Quad4 regardless if it is in a Fiero or not.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

The thermostat gasket is cool, it has one side that is sticky so it sticks to the stat housing and makes a good seal. I still used RTV on the other side as I hate leaks.

That's one of the issues I discovered when I disassembled my quad. In the winter my heater would only blow lukewarm air, so I figured my thermostat had slipped during installation allowing coolant to flow around it. Turns out I was right, but I also had a slow leak around the housing that I couldn't see with the engine in the car.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking about it and if someone did not use the sticky part and just put it on it would end up leaking. Prob due to RTV holding the sticky backing to the housing and just coming off of the gasket. So make sure to peel off the backing and use the sticky part.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove the Duke down to the shop, that thing is soooo gutless when it has a slipping clutch.
The engine is half way out, it got cold so I came home. (I know not cold as most of you are used to)
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I drove the Duke down to the shop, that thing is soooo gutless when it has a slipping clutch.
The engine is half way out, it got cold so I came home. (I know not cold as most of you are used to)

only when it has a slipping clutch???
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, and when the A/C is on.
It does feel gutless, but sadly it is still faster than like 80% of the cars on the road.
Duke's do have 135TQ

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 01-11-2013).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where are you hiding? we need more pictures!

------------------
I'm not a nice person.

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been helping on a couple other projects and working alot this past week.
I have a bunch to do on the Fiero itself, not all related to the Quad Swap.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

where are you hiding? we need more pictures!

Here are some more pics.
I have been sick, progress is slow.

The Duke that the Quad is replacing, still in the Fiero.

The PO of this Fiero put in bigger cradle bolts that jamed in the bushings.
I took off the fender to get good access to the bolt, I took off the weight off the bolt, ( by jacking the car untill I saw the bolt move in the hole) then an air hammer made quick work of the bolts.

Now there is a hole.

When you lift the Fiero, make sure to use the built in "strut tower support".
With a chain it makes a great lift point.

Here are some side by side shots.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OOOH SHINY!

------------------

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

Carcenomy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are you doing with the Duke anyways? If you're prepared to ship I could sure use that air cleaner housing...
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

What are you doing with the Duke anyways? If you're prepared to ship I could sure use that air cleaner housing...

If you need parts we have tons of parts and we ship too.
(PM me for parts requests as not to clutter this thread)

I don't know what to do with the duke yet, it is a good running engine.
I'm sure it will end up in some car/Fiero.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How long do you think until she's running? Looks great. Can I ask what did you paint your cradle with?
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:

How long do you think until she's running? Looks great. Can I ask what did you paint your cradle with?

Hopefully soon, still a few more days untill I can put it in. I painted the cradle with the same paint I used on the engine, 500deg gloss black.

An update;
I got the fuel pump swaped out today.

For those that don't know...The Quad 4 needs a 3Bar fuel pump, IE a Fiero V6 pump.
The duke uses a low psi pump like a 1Bar. So I had to swap pumps. Now I have a good fuel pump to go with the duke, where ever it ends up.

PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2013 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So now that you have that engine figured out, are you gonna introduce that engine to your line up of options for swaps? Me first! Nice work!

------------------

Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 02-01-2013).]

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2013 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the can because the high temperature paint I used on my engine doesn't fully cure until it is heated to like 200 degrees. Which I think wouldn't ever happen on the cradle. I learned this the hard way when I got a little brake parts cleaner on my newly painted engine and I had thought the paint was chemical resistant. Well it isn't until it's been heated, at least that's how mine was.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP! is it running???

------------------

Built not bought...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

pprbart@cs.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2013 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pprbart@cs.comSend a Private Message to pprbart@cs.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
quad 4 is one of gm's biggest disasters of its many. The cylinder head warped twice and not from overheating. Its just a poor design. GM had many fail on proving grounds testing but the brass used its anyway. I had to finally sell the car as a restoration vehicle. the cam support is also below strength. I cracked several times. Another gm disaster. Why would you pick such a dog.
the_bandit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the_banditSend a Private Message to the_banditEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've heard very bad things about the quad 4 and you seem to be an expert with them. I have also heard that they are excellent engines... What is the verdict with them? There's an awesome fiero near me that has the quad 4 HO motor. It looks eccelent , but I don't want to buy it if its a crap motor. (Sorry for posting such an off topic reply)
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2013 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pprbart@cs.com:

quad 4 is one of gm's biggest disasters of its many. The cylinder head warped twice and not from overheating. Its just a poor design. GM had many fail on proving grounds testing but the brass used its anyway. I had to finally sell the car as a restoration vehicle. the cam support is also below strength. I cracked several times. Another gm disaster. Why would you pick such a dog.

Do you have a build thread? If you do I'd like to go in there and take a big ol' dump on it. How rude can you be? If you've paid any attention you would see that this engine has a butt load of cherry picked parts to make it the engine that the quad 4 was supposed to be. I can't believe how inconsiderate you are.
Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2013 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your swap is looking fantastic. I can't wait to see the end result. This is one swap that I'd love to do someday.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2013 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Do you have a build thread? If you do I'd like to go in there and take a big ol' dump on it. How rude can you be? If you've paid any attention you would see that this engine has a butt load of cherry picked parts to make it the engine that the quad 4 was supposed to be. I can't believe how inconsiderate you are.

Don't let the trolls get you down, Fierobsessed. Those of us who know the wonder that is the Quad 4 love this thread and the fine work and attention to deal it demonstrates.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pprbart@cs.com:

LMAO, people say that all the time about Fieros, and that hasn't stopped any of us.

As far as why,.. read post #1
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I just get a little worked up when someone dogs someone elses choice in what they want to do with their car. Especially when someone is gracious enough to share with the community in such great detail just how they are going about persuing their goal. It's a real demotivator. Thats why so many people, especially many 3800 guys won't necessarily share their experiences, because someone will invariably crap on them if the work is being done in a way that they wouldn't do it in. And I don't mean constructive critisizm either.

Alls well that ends well, and now back to our Brandys.
PFF
System Bot
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As far as why,.. read post #1

It's the same reason I'm doing the swap. I had an HO Quad from my rusty old GTZ and just needed a new home for it. Of course, the low budget is also the reason my swap is proceeding at a glacial pace. I used to get mid-30 mpgs in my GTZ on the highway. Can't wait to see how the Fiero does.
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's the same reason I'm doing the swap. I had an HO Quad from my rusty old GTZ and just needed a new home for it. Of course, the low budget is also the reason my swap is proceeding at a glacial pace. I used to get mid-30 mpgs in my GTZ on the highway. Can't wait to see how the Fiero does.

Exactly. The Quad HO in my Grand Am frequently cleared 40mpg highway and averaged upper 20s in town under a heavy foot.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It runs

I had alot happen recently, and I have not been able to finish the Fiero as I would have wanted, or keep this thread updated as I wanted.
But I still have pics to upload and updates to do, not as many as I wanted (not that I don't have enough allready) with a hard drive crash, and no time to take pics just trying to get it done as quick as I could with the small time allowed I had each day.

The last 10% is always the most time consuming getting everything to fit right, and finding all the just-the-right-parts.

I still have a few things on the Fiero to button up before I can drive it. I got it running tonight and it was late so I came home.

What a LOUD engine when it FIRST starts up. It takes a few mins for the lifters to pump up and quite down.
One the lifters had oil, it sounds SO NICE, loud yes, doesn't sound like a 4 banger at all . I did check the oil again once the oil pumped up and had to add another half quart (I filled the engine before to the full line, it took 4 1/2 quarts to do that, then after the other half quart it was a full 5 quarts)

The only thing left engine wise to do is, for some reason my fuel pump doesn't come on with the key, (I jumpered it at the ALDL to run the pump to start it) (I added in the ALDL fuel pump jumper pin ) I do have it running though a fuel pump hot wire setup, I just need to test the wires, prob just an old relay actually.

I should be able to drive it tommorow
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations. And thanks again for taking the time to post all the photos and comments.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep up the excellent work. I have been enjoying the $hit of this thread. Might even try one of these my self just to get the power steering.
-Joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 03-06-2013).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2013 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the Fiero together today and got to drive it.

It is deffinitly more fun than the duke.

At 3000 RPM it starts pulling good, then it hit 4000 and it really pulls all the way up, I got up to 7200.
Not close to as fast to my turbo GT, but it is deffinitly fun, for a MPG Fiero.
With the exhaust I have, it is LOUD I won't lie about that. and it does shake the Fiero a bit.
With the gears I have in the trans(3.65FDR) it pulls first and second gear well, then not as much in third, I bet with the 3.94FDR it would, but I am going for MPG so it is fine for now.

I figured out the fuel pump issue, I used the relays that came with the harrness, being it was from an Indy, they are 84 Fiero relays. turned out those relays suck. I even grabed another 2 from another 84 and those didn't work either(total of 4), so I plugged in a standard Bosch relay and all is good now.

I still have pics and info to catch up on, but when I have the choice of finishing my Fiero or posting here, sorry you guys can wait. (I know alot on here would rather post then work on thier Fiero, IE high post counts :P) I will get to it soon.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2013 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
doh' double post

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 03-07-2013).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been too long since I updated this post.
I have been so busy, I havent had time to add pics and updates. I have had lots of small things to tweek the on the engine etc.
I charged my A/C last night as it is starting to get hot here in Vegas, and the line I made is working, so far so good.
I have to find all my pics and start posting the finsh of the build, (I had to recover the data from my dead hard drive, I even found a way to use beer to get data back, but that is another story)
More pics to come soon.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For good mpg, at cruzing speed, you want hot air at the intake and normal engine temps. Cold air is good for power, bad for mpg. same for engine temp.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock