Started on: 06-12-2012 07:01 PM
Replies: 286 (17096 views)
Last post by: GADJet on 07-13-2017 03:48 PM
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:
.... but it will be officially a Fiero GTX.

Correction, Officially a GTP....The GTX is the V8 LS4 model.....LOL

C'mon man, J/K

IP: Logged
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

C'mon man, J/K

Haha thanks for the insight but then again there was no Grand Prix GTX in the 80's, so it's just works for my theme I'm going with the car. I really want to do my own interpretation of the pro street formula concepts paint job, I don't want a replica but the paint is so cool I want to do that but change it a bit
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

C'mon man, J/K

Actually, the GTX was a "SLP" version started in 98(?) which still had the 3800sc. The GXP was the LS4

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 10-15-2012).]

Corpsmen Ed

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Corpsmen EdClick Here to visit Corpsmen Ed's HomePageSend a Private Message to Corpsmen EdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great build & pics. Keep up the great work.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
S

Originally posted by Corpsmen Ed:

Great build & pics. Keep up the great work.

Thanks I sure will, I sliced my hand with a razor blade being careless and it's rainy so I haven't had a chance to do more on her.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin Good!
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Lookin Good!

Thanks, aprreciated very much!
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IanT720

1703 posts
Member since Sep 2010

Originally posted by race9887:

I bake my parts in an oven I got for $40 used & pick up a starter kit from here http://www.eastwood.com/hot...wder-coat-guns.html. As for the valve cover I thought that it was impossible to PC nonmetal parts but learned I was wrong.
Check this thread out https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/124701.html
You asked about plans for my car I updated them to my thread.

As for my feelings on imports:

Thanks for that info, I skipped your reply I guess but you really inspired me with all the powder coating you did
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I've been thinking very hard on how to paint my car, and finally got it . I'm not going to divulge much info until I finish the photoshop on it but here's a hint.... It won't be yellow, and it won't not look like a very special prototype fiero.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IanT720

1703 posts
Member since Sep 2010
Update... Just finished the passenger side coolant hose routing, and the return heater hose... The coolant hose I used is a Dayco E71126, The heater hose has a 90* bend and then its just straight, its a Dayco 80401. I also used a common T fitting that I found at my hardware store. All the tubes required lots of cutting and mocking up but as you can see work perfect....
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IanT720

1703 posts
Member since Sep 2010
Alright I give, I'm just too excited for my paint job. So you know the Fomula Pro street prototype? Well did you know Pontiac used that same paint design on another long lost prototype? The GTX/Turbo it was the Pro Streets circuit track badder brother, complete with a turbo 3800, larger roof scoop and whale tail spoiler. Even though they share the same design the GTX/Turbo uses a beautiful non metallic Royal blue and black theme, instead or the yellow and black.... I hate replicas, or knockoffs, so coupled with its 3800sc soon to be turbo engine, and other mechanical/visual mods, it will be a one-off. Or as I like to think another long lost fiero prototype but where as the prostreet is set up for drag, they used this to demonstrate the fieros ability on a circuit track. They also dubbed it the GTX/Turbo, and they share the same paint design because its too cool and describes the word concept just by its look, but why have two yellow cars? That's dumb, so they used blue instead to separate the long lost brothers.
This is the Formula Prostreet Concept, Where you see yellow will be blue, It will be on my car so all the unique things on this will not be on mine, I'm not making a replica...

[This message has been edited by IanT720 (edited 10-17-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IanT720

1703 posts
Member since Sep 2010
If anybody even thinks about ripping off my paint idea, I will kill ya!
85bluegtma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what are you doing to your interior? stock?
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted a couple pics, but I repainted everything flat black and gloss black, I redid my headliner and carpet in black. I added a push button start in between the window switches. I will add 3 gauges where the stock rally's are, boost gauge on the A piller. I need to dye my visiors, and paint my dome light. I'm going to get custom seat covers (cheaper) but still great quality, in black with blue piping. I want to keep it stock just change it to my taste ie. color. The black looks modern and more sleek. Otherwise I want it stock and keep it 80's feeling.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2012 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its done! My dad is an artist, used to paint murals on vans but also does a killer job creating sweet custom prints of customers cars (that's our business) Here is our site... www.Topestikihut.com/ He does all kinds of commissions just shoot him an email... Anyway the perks of having him as my dad is I explained how I want to paint the car/and what visual mods I want, So he surprised me with this!.... This is my car with my Konig 18's, custom deck lid, and IMSA Whale Tail (WTB), as I explained before this is called the GTX/Turbo Rally Prototype, (The long lost cousin of the Formula Pro Street Prototype) Let me know what you think
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2012 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IanT720

1703 posts
Member since Sep 2010
Now just need to go Turbo at some point!
j bf1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for j bf1Send a Private Message to j bf1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read most of your thread. Impressive! I'm on the fence deciding on which engine to choose 3800sc, v8 or maybe LS v8 depending on the price. How pleased are you with the performance of the 3800sc?

------------------
~John

'88 GT 5spd White/Beechwood

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by j bf1:

I read most of your thread. Impressive! I'm on the fence deciding on which engine to choose 3800sc, v8 or maybe LS v8 depending on the price. How pleased are you with the performance of the 3800sc?

Thanks ! Well first off I haven't driven mine yet but I have rode in another's at a car show. It hauls! I mean it's hard to imagine but it gets you pretty good, his was stock too. My reasons for doing this swap was, very documented, cheaper, lots of performance, and plenty fast. The biggest reason for me is the personality of the car.... A higher reving, higher pitch, screaming v6 fits better for the sportieness of the car. A big heavy torquey v8 doesn't appeal to me, and I have a 350 Trans am! Plus with the supercharger getting an extra 30 HP is as simple as getting a 3.4 pulley. Now as LS would be different but it's a crazy amount of money, for that I could build a turbo 3800 that would smoke it. Also take a gander at the quater mile list. So basically for me, I just wanted a light, quick engine, that's easily moddable, and will haul.

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IanT720

1703 posts
Member since Sep 2010
To elaborate a little bit more... You already have a supercharger consider it a power adder, you can build up the engine, and also build up the blower. With a v8 you only get one. With most cars the most logical first step is buying a turbo or supercharger kit, and like I said what reay convinced me is a v8 simply doesn't fit the character of the car, a higher pitch, faster reving, baddass v6 fits perfect. Plus who doesn't want to beat a v8 with a v6? I know a few people with lightly modded Grand Prix's and theyve beat v8's. I'm a 100% confident my Fiero will walk all over my Trans Am. That's all, hope I influenced your opinion.
j bf1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for j bf1Send a Private Message to j bf1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for all the information. In the past I have owned 5 Fiero's 4 were 88 GT's 1 87 GT. Out of the 4 88's I decided to keep the White/Beechwood int. 5spd loaded w/every option and in pristine condition. I also own a c5 Corvette mildly modded. I've been contemplating doing some modifications for awhile now and finally thought it time to pull the trigger. Just to mention a few parts I have purchased thus far; Prothane poly bushings kit front/rear, Rear Monroe Sensa-trac struts, Battery box upfront, and Amida fi512 front bumper. I read a thread regarding DIY coilovers are they necessary? As for an engine swap, that will be one of the last things I do. I think you have me convinced and I'm leaning towards a Supercharged 3800. I am curious where you got all hardware like mounts, PCM wiring harness etc?

Thanks Dude!

------------------
~John

'88 GT 5spd White/Beechwood

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by j bf1:

Thank you for all the information. In the past I have owned 5 Fiero's 4 were 88 GT's 1 87 GT. Out of the 4 88's I decided to keep the White/Beechwood int. 5spd loaded w/every option and in pristine condition. I also own a c5 Corvette mildly modded. I've been contemplating doing some modifications for awhile now and finally thought it time to pull the trigger. Just to mention a few parts I have purchased thus far; Prothane poly bushings kit front/rear, Rear Monroe Sensa-trac struts, Battery box upfront, and Amida fi512 front bumper. I read a thread regarding DIY coilovers are they necessary? As for an engine swap, that will be one of the last things I do. I think you have me convinced and I'm leaning towards a Supercharged 3800. I am curious where you got all hardware like mounts, PCM wiring harness etc?

Thanks Dude!

And your asking me for advice? Sounds like your set . The poly is a huge upgrade in itself, specially if your bushings looked like mine, I hear the Monroe's are nice I have KYB's myself, now coil overs... Not super nesseary, you might find them nice to adjust ride height for racing but other wise they look cool. I cut a coil off my rear springs, and spent time on them and they turned out great, I have yet to mess with the front (winter project) but I'm going to cut 2 coils off and repaint it all. On an 88 they naturally sit higher, so lowering is a must. You could use other means to lower it but, cutting springs is a tried true tradition. Sounds like you got a plan for her. Mounts I bought from Fiero X, highly recommend them, super easy install, heavy well made, and simple. Wiring was done by Phonedawgz, he is the nicest guy and will defintly hook you up with exactly you need, the wires are very clean (no plastic wrap, super easy to hide). I reccomend going auto I can't wait for overdrive. As for the tune, I contacted sinister performance (gm tuners) Ryan is on the forum and will give you exactly what you need and extra, pick his brain. Glad to hear your joining the 3800sc club, lets know if you have any more questions, I gathered a good amount of info by now feel free to ask .... No problem dude!
PFF
System Bot
j bf1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for j bf1Send a Private Message to j bf1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't if true, many time we're headed in the right direction and don't even know it. LOL! Anyhow, you mention yours is automatic, and I do understand how great they are. However from what I've been reading on PFF there swapping the F23 5spd which is supposedly capable to handle high torque.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah If I went stick the f23 would be my choice, the stock fiero manuals just arnt to goo in my opinion mostly based on gear ratios. What's good is there's a ton of info on the f23 now.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update.... I finished all my belt routing today I painted the brackets, fit the belts, and routed my gas lines and wires nice ... I have a P/S delete pulley, and the pulley on it is not as big as the one that would be on the pump... I used a 91" belt, and stock SC belt... I ran into a weird problem, I made a new thread about it... Any info would be nice, link... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...TML/125693.html..... Here's some pictures of my brackets, and nice new belts.... On the brackets I used a ceramic silver primer, then a bright red high heat paint... Supercharger tensioner bracket (Thanks John316)... Here's the idler pulley in the bright red final coat... And here's the belts finished!...
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after slapping the wheels on and trying to back it in to the garage I realized something was wrong with the engine... It idles rough, doesn't want to rev easily and had no power at all... I did a bunch of simple testing and finally found the cause! I was getting code P0300 (Misfires)... I tested fuel pressure and it was perfect around 55-60 psi... I had spark from all cylinders too... After some sweet DIY and rigging, I found the ***hole causing my problem. It was Injector number 1. I removed the fuel rail but kept the gas lines connected, and individually put 12v to each injector, all 5 shot a nice stream but number 1 didn't even make a drop... Anybody have sources to get a new injector? just need one... Pics... Bench test... The lil Bastard...
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cant u just buy one from the parts store? i can around here
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't check but, I have a couple comming to me from a fellow member though.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update, I discovered with the help of the Forum that I have a short in my electrical system that's blowing my BAT fuse. I still need to look into it but I think my cigarette adapter is the culprit.... It came to my attention that the strut tower hats were on upside down, so I just spent the afternoon flipping them and, putting cotter pins in my tie rods etc... I put my passenger side wheel well in and bolted up my old wheel (no sense in wrecking my new tires on my way to the alignment shop) I'm waiting to install the drivers side wheel well and wheel until I get my drivers side coolant tube installed... My parts that I need from FOY racing have finnaly shipped (modified thermostat, dog bone, shifter adapter) so I'm super excited about that, also my new injectors should be in early next week... So if all goes well it will be finished before next week then it's off the the alignment shop, and exhaust shop, then my girlfriends house to take her for a spin (she's huge into cars)!
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IanT720

1703 posts
Member since Sep 2010
Edit- for the drivers side coolant tube do I just T it into the heater hose like I did passenger side? Keep in mind I'm not blocking off the alt bracket.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump- I also need Info on the correct hose for the drivers side coolant, hooked to the fiero fill point. Thanks!
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump on the coolant hose info.... However how do you like red? I like it better, goes with the drive train well
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That would be sick if you do it!
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

That would be sick if you do it!

Thanks I am, but Iike the red better myself! I want to pay homage to the formula prototype but at the same time do my own thing, hence the "Rally prototype"
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IanT720

1703 posts
Member since Sep 2010
Update- I just recieved my parts from FOY Racing, they're great quality and super simple, I orderd a modified coolant fill, shifter adapter, and a dogbone.... I have been waiting on these parts for a couple months and they have been holding me up recently... However Friendofyours, made up for it with great communication and he actually threw in a low-mount alternator bracket for my trouble ... Here's a pic of my goodies....
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bump on the coolant hose info.... However how do you like red? I like it better, goes with the drive train well

i like the red with the red cradle
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85bluegtma:

i like the red with the red cradle

Me too, thanks!
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update!!!! I just installed the new injectors I got from Brian T. Brown.... Holy @@#$ This thing rips! I haven't driven it yet, on stands but damn! It idles super smooth now, as soon as you bump the throttle it just rips! sounds so just mean .... I'm installing the drivers side coolant hose, and shifter adapter but just had to post this!

[This message has been edited by IanT720 (edited 10-31-2012).]

Brian T. Brown

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian T. BrownSend a Private Message to Brian T. BrownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Update!!!! I just installed the new injectors I got from John316.... Holy @@#$ This thing rips! I haven't driven it yet, on stands but damn! It idles super smooth now, as soon as you bump the throttle it just rips! sounds so just mean .... I'm installing the drivers side coolant hose, and shifter adapter but just had to post this!

I thought you got the injectors from me.

------------------
Brian T. Brown
1987 Fiero GT Fastback
1998 Grand Prix GTP

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh sorry, they are from you, I got my PM's mixed up... Thanks so much! she runs beautiful!
Brian T. Brown

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian T. BrownSend a Private Message to Brian T. BrownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's cool, had me a bit confused cause I bought a switch from john316 and got it today.

Glad they worked for you.

------------------
Brian T. Brown
1987 Fiero GT Fastback
1998 Grand Prix GTP

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page