Fiero GTS by Bridgetown
Started on: 07-13-2008 02:58 AM
Replies: 352 (36318 views)
Last post by: Bridgetown on 05-10-2017 01:23 AM
x-thumpr-x

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bridgetown:
The trailblazer injectors are a direct swap on a 3400 fuel rail and are 28# @ 55psi

That's good to know, I'm running a corvette (88) fuel pump and my pressure is 55 PSI
IP: Logged
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by x-thumpr-x:

Pontiac never made a GTS or GTR version but I'd have to give this Fiero from Carlisle the title of GTR

3800 turbo charged, heavily modified water & air intercooled. owner estimated 550-650HP Just got the car running and hasn't dyno'd it yet.

How's your 3x00 hybrid swap going Adam? (Why does it feel like I'm talking to myself? ) Just went through the entire thread to refresh my memory. One of these days I'll switch over to OBD2 as well. For now I'm running the 65mm T/B & Wot-Tech adapter on the stock 3400 plenum, opened up the intake and exhaust ports, added a JBP regrind camshaft. Before mods I was 175hp at the wheels and my best time was 14.217 @156KPH so we both should easily be in the 13's with our current set-ups. Haven't been back to the track in a couple of years now. The 3400 looks just right in the Fiero, I've had so many people think the motor was stock in my car. Got a line on another 3400 & 3500 low mileage engines for my next project. Thinking turbo also, getting used to the power of my current swap, need more for the next one.

Yes, looks like a GTR to me.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

GTS is just a name I made up for the project.
GT in most automotive circles comes from the italian term Gran Turisimo, which translates to grand touring, which were powerful comfortable luxury sports cars. The S comes from the Italian word superleggera, which translates to super-light. GTS cars were often lightened higher performance variants of a GT car. So this build is my translation of what a Gran Turisimo Suoerleggera Fiero would be. Fiero is Italian for proud too btw. So this is my Proud grand touring super-light car, haha.
Also, I don't believe there is such a thing as a Fiero GTR either.

I had an '86 GTRS. Supposedly, the S was for sport. Other than the engine, there were just some decals and emblems, a different instrument cluster, side scoops, a reverse decklid scoop, reverse hood scoops, and low-profile tires/wheels. Something was different about the suspension, also. When I sold it, I was told that the engine came from a V6 turbo trans am after the grand national. The thing was FAST.

I'm trying to achieve something similar with my '88, but the suspension is nowhere near where that GTRS was.

Did you tube frame your GTS?
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I had an '86 GTRS. Supposedly, the S was for sport.
Did you tube frame your GTS?

I'm sure that was just a modified car by an owner. There is no such thing as a GTRS Fiero.

No, my car is built on a stock chassis, other then the modified '88 rear suspension (mine is an '86 chassis)

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 08-02-2014).]

B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just read through the entire thread. Amazing car!!! Anything new on it?

------------------
86 Gt 3800 series II supercharged

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just moved to a new house with a nice big garage for my car attached. I have been compiling many parts over the last year or so. I am planning on doing a bunch more work to the car this summer.

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 02-15-2015).]

B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cant wait to see what you have planned next. I will be following this closely. LOL
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time for some updates.
My wife and I sold our home and built a new one. Needless to say, because of that process, I haven't been able to work on the car much at all. Well, I've finally got things in order enough to start back on the car a bit. Here some pics of the new speed shop.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

As you can see, I have a new engine on the stand. I picked up a super clean '05 3400 with 40,000 Kms. I'll be building a hybrid 3500/3400 that will eventually get the Rotrex charger.

I also have a plan to rework the front and rear suspension. One of the key parts for the front end are these drop spindles with aluminum hubs. More on that later.

In the mean time, I'll start with the rear suspension. I have my car sitting quite low, and when the coilover perch is adjusted where I need it, there is a gap between the perch and the spring at full droop. To remedy this I purchased a set of "helper springs"
I was glad I was able to install them without removing the struts, and needing to get an alignment. I read that it really doesn't matter if they are on the top or bottom, so because it was much easier, the live on top. They add 11 more lbs/inch of spring rate. Which is fine as I need to stiffen the rear up a bit. I am now running 286 # total in the rear. I have some more weight loss coming off the car, so I think this will be close to where I need to be.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both my mirrors had cracked glass from being caught in a hailstorm a couple years back. I've been wanting to replace them for some time, but I couldn't find a mirror I liked. I ended up finding these.
https://www.ngpracing.com/n...irrors-f1-style.html
I was skeptical of the price being so low, and perhaps being cheaply made. I received them quickly, and the staff called me and double checked my online order. They were very helpful, and knowledgable about their product. HIGHLY RECCOMEND NGP RACING!!!
The quality of the mirrors was much better then I expected. Very pleased for the price.
The best part is that the mount hole spacing on the mirror base is exactly right for the stock mounting location on the Fiero. All I had to do was make a flat plate to cap the old rubber gasket from the original mirror base. I shaped an 1-1/2" wide by 1/8" thick aluminum plate to the gasket with a grinder, drilled two holes, and painted it flat black. Then I used two new bolts with the original nuts on the back to attach the new mirror. I'm pretty happy how easy it all was.
I havent drove with them on to see how the sightllines are from them. They are quite small, and very light too. The glass area is small, but it cant be any worse then the cracked in half mirrors I had before. Here are some pics.What do you think?

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Both my mirrors had cracked glass from being caught in a hailstorm a couple years back. I've been wanting to replace them for some time, but I couldn't find a mirror I liked. I ended up finding these.
https://www.ngpracing.com/n...irrors-f1-style.html
I was skeptical of the price being so low, and perhaps being cheaply made. I received them quickly, and the staff called me and double checked my online order. They were very helpful, and knowledgable about their product. HIGHLY RECCOMEND NGP RACING!!!
The quality of the mirrors was much better then I expected. Very pleased for the price.
The best part is that the mount hole spacing on the mirror base is exactly right for the stock mounting location on the Fiero. All I had to do was make a flat plate to cap the old rubber gasket from the original mirror base. I shaped an 1-1/2" wide by 1/8" thick aluminum plate to the gasket with a grinder, drilled two holes, and painted it flat black. Then I used two new bolts with the original nuts on the back to attach the new mirror. I'm pretty happy how easy it all was.
I havent drove with them on to see how the sightllines are from them. They are quite small, and very light too. The glass area is small, but it cant be any worse then the cracked in half mirrors I had before. Here are some pics.What do you think?

Nice job! I like the look. Please follow up and confirm if you have any trouble with sight lines.

Also, did you order the "universal" ones? You mentioned the hole spacing was dead on.

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the car for a drive with the new mirrors. They were difficult to get adjusted just right, but once I got them, the sight lines are not bad at all. Even though the glass area is smaller then the factory mirrors, they are placed higher and wider then the factory mirrors. This makes up for the smaller area somewhat. I quite like them so far.

DoubleC4, yes I got the universal set in black.

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 06-01-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally finished modifying my taillights. I'll get some night shots later. I am pretty happy with how they turned out. I really need to swap the third brake light out for an LED, it really stands out agiainst all the other upgraded lights now.
I think the new tails update the look of the car quite a bit. Using the stock lenses helps them blend wi the rest of the car, so they don't look too out of place.

Tails

Brakes

Reverse

Signals
http://youtu.be/OuHjMiIdwxk
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice lights.

Have you gotten the car weighed at all? Or have you not really done any lightening yet?
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last time I weighed the car it was 2657 lbs. I've taken a few more pounds off the car since, it's probably closer to 2600 lbs right now. I have some more things planned to get it down to around 2500 lbs soon.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The last time I weighed the car it was 2657 lbs. I've taken a few more pounds off the car since, it's probably closer to 2600 lbs right now. I have some more things planned to get it down to around 2500 lbs soon.

Nice! I'm hoping I'll be able to lighten my car up quite a bit as well.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2016 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New things coming soon. New engine swap has officially began!
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very excited to see progress, always liked the way your car looked and the swap you had done in it made good power.

I am in the middle of a 3900 swap that I plan to turbo, but very excited to see a supercharged 60v6 getting done

Chris
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2016 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent some time this weekend swapping parts to the new engine and mated it to the transmission. I bolted it all in with new poly mounts from Rodney. Next I'll wire it up with the old harness, and spend some time cleaning up the engine bay and doing some suspension work before the power train goes back in.
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see that you are still at it.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes! Just can't seem to get this little car out of my blood. I had an reasonable offer to buy it last summer, but I turned it down. There's something about this car that kinda gets under your skin. I take breaks from it now and then, but I always seem to find some inspiration to tinker with it again.
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You suffer from "Fiero-itis !".

It is a rare disease, contracted by skinning ones knuckles repeatedly while working on the little car.
It spreads systemically through the circulatory system.
There is no known permanant cure for Fieroitis,......
Symptoms can be temporarily relieved, by shoehorning ones body into the tight fitting Lear bucket seat,
and twist the ignition key.
The soothing rumble from behind the seats, begins to sooth the soul, repeated pushing the clutch pedal, and rowing through the gearbox,
with the warm sunshine streaming into the cockpit through the open windows and sunroof, favorite driving music, mixing with the racious exhaust note
of the V-6 barking. Soon you will be grinning like a 10 year old schoolboy, with a 12 pound chocolate bar !

Or maybe that is just me ?

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6 Muncie 4 speed.
a.k.a "The Rumble Seat"

PFF
System Bot
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well put.
I've been to Exotics racing in Vegas 4 times. Spent more money then I'd like to admit, driving a catalogue of "halo" cars. Honestly, for the money, my car delivers more smiles per miles than anything I've driven. I don't let many other people drive my car, but the ones that have are impressed. There is a lot of pre conceived baggage around these cars, for whatever reason. It's funny watching people have their assumptions demolished.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2016 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've spent some time cleaning up the engine and wiring harness to get a cleaner looking engine bay.
I also installed a set of Fieroguru's lateral link relocation brackets for a more favourable camber curve.
Then I built a new upper engine bracket for the dogbone. The previous one as a bit ugly, and not as strong as it should be, as it twisted itself a bit over the years.
I installed new stiffer rear springs (350#) now with the helper spring, I'm at about a 360# rear spring rate.
I also replaced my drivers strut, the previous one wouldn't adjust anymore for some reason.
Then I spent some time on the exhaust. The down pipe flange never fit that great and leaked. I also reworked the rear hangers to get rid of the bulky ugly clamps I had before.
Also finally, I dove into the engine bay. I had previously removed the stock insulation from the side of the bay. I had never taken it off the front firewall. Btw, I really hate that stuff! I removed the rear battery tray, and a bunch of other unused brackets. Then I cleaned the whole bay. Finally, I installed Lava mat heat shield. I'm really happy with the Lava mat, it looks really sharp, and wasn't that hard to work with. I'll see how it works for heat/sound suppression once the engine is in, and report on it.

A bit more work on the wiring harness, and some fluids, and I should be ready to re install the engine and get it fired up.

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2016 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced both back-halves of my coolant pipes. The drivers side I knew had a kink in it from before I got the car. The car never ran hot, so I had never bothered to fix it. Now with the new engine, I'm not willing to risk it anymore. I replaced the passenger side because the replacement pipe on that side has a tee off the side, that would allow me to tap my rear expansion tank drain line into, and avoid the modified rad hose I was running before. I had cut the rad hose and clamped the tee in. This way I eliminate two clamp joints from the system, and reduce chance of a leak.
I also replaced the junkyard expansion tank I had with an nicer aluminum one, and mounted it in the spot formerly occupied by the battery tray.

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 03-25-2016).]

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The good new: The new engine is in the car.
The bad news: It won't start. Cranks but won't fire. Double checked with my known good ecu, and still won't fire.
I must have something hooked up wrong or a bad sensor or something. Not sure where to go. All I know is it cranks and there is fuel to the engine. Not sure if the ignition system is working, or the injection.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well... I figured out the problem.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/137656.html

...moving on. The engine fired right up, and sounded strong. It definitely revs quicker then the old engine. Now to bleed clutch and brakes, and get this thing on the road for some testing. I'll see if I can post a video of it running once I get the coolant system bled.
Getting excited!
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job! Good looking car with a engine to match. If you could post a video that would be nice to hear this engine. Did you modify the exhaust?
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a crappy video of the car running. I couldn't let it run that long as I still haven't got the coolant system hooked up yet.
http://youtu.be/dVNwkXNPGsA
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What axle set up are you using?
Thanks!
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The axle setup info can be found in this thread.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...041015-2-050569.html
I'm really happy with it and would recommend doing it.
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally have the car out in the light of day.

I had to chase down a CEL light. Turned out it was the crank sensor due to the fact that I forgot to swap the 24x sender ring onto the new aluminum crank pulley.
I had a bit€# of a time getting the air out of the system on the new engine this time. I nearly overheated it! I finally got it, chased down a couple coolant leaks here and there, then got it out for some road testing.
I haven't leaned on it much yet, since I want to let everything break in a bit. It is still quite a bit more powerful then the other engine for sure. It is just on a base tune, and is running pretty rich throughout the range of throttle.
I'm looking forward to dialing in the fueling and seeing what this thing will put down.

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 04-11-2016).]

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2017 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car is up for sale. If your interested here is a link to the ad:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/075506.html

It's time for something else.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave