Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Need help verifying OBD2 ingnition system.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Need help verifying OBD2 ingnition system. by Bridgetown
Started on: 03-28-2016 11:42 PM
Replies: 5 (292 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 03-30-2016 08:00 AM
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I working on my new engine (see thread)
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/071783-9.html

I have the new engine in (3400 bottom end/3500 top end) but it won't start.
What are the steps I should check to verify the ingnition system is functioning properly?
I have fuel to the engine, need to also verify injectors are firing.

There was a thread from a couple years ago that had good info, but I can't find it in the search.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The earlier 60 deg ignition systems used a 7x crank sensor only for a signal to the ICM. Later years used higher resolution wheels and sensors on both the crank and cam.

With the first all you need is power to the ICM, the ICM properly wired, and the signal to the ICM. The ECM does not need to be working.

Do you know which you have? What year PCM? What year wiring did you emulate?
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine is wired as a 2002 grand am, but with a manual trans and no egr.
You actually built the harness for me 3 or 4 years ago. Everything worked flawlessly with the stock 3400 and old computer.
I just transferred it all to the new engine and installed a new Ecu with a base tune for the hybrid. I did switch back to the old one after it didn't start just to see if it was the Ecu causing the problem. But still no fire.
I'm using the two crank sensors (in block and on dampener) from the new engine, all the others are from the old engine, so I suspect maybe something is wrong there perhaps.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bridgetown

1210 posts
Member since Feb 2007
I just found out from Ryan at Sinister that my new Ecu is set up for stock injectors and I put in larger. I couldn't remember what injectors I asked him to set up for. I guess I guessed wrong. There is a good chance that is the problem. I'll check for spark tonight and switch the injectors back. Fingers crossed.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I checked for spark when I got home today, and it checked out good. Has to be fuel then I thought. Ryan said, even though I put the wrong injectors in it should still run, just rich. Checked fuel pressure at the rail. Dead. Pressure in the line, but dead at the rail. Had me stumped for a while, then I thought to check the fuel lines. Sure enough, I had them hooked up in reverse... Commence face palm!
I switched them around and checked pressure, all good. Cranked it and boom, she fired right up. I spent the rest of the evening switching out the injectors for the proper ones.
This has got to be one of my better bone head manuvers with my car. Do you think I could've damaged anything by hooking the lines up wrong?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No.

Glad to see you got it figured out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock