Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The New and Improved Quarter Mile List (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The New and Improved Quarter Mile List by Blacktree
Started on: 05-02-2008 01:12 AM
Replies: 758 (40813 views)
Last post by: ls3mach on 04-27-2022 01:54 AM
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Hey you should come down to Houston and have my guy help you out with your tuning. He's on ZZP's website as a preferred installer and he has a shop that specializes in 3800's. Your car should be able to hit the 11's with a really good tune I would think. Let me know and I'll forward his info to you, or actually just contact him on here, his name in Tengis.

Thanks, for the info. I have contacted him and am just trrying to work out a time to meet up. He was scheduled to come to dallas a few weeks ago but could NOT make it. I may need to go to Houston and get tuned along with some tuning lessons.
IP: Logged
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Thanks, for the info. I have contacted him and am just trrying to work out a time to meet up. He was scheduled to come to dallas a few weeks ago but could NOT make it. I may need to go to Houston and get tuned along with some tuning lessons.

Yeah I remember him having plans to do the Dallas thing, don't remember why it didn't happen. Zack's a great guy and has a lot of talent. You won't be disappointed I'm sure. Depending on when you come down, you might even see him wrenching on my car.
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a reference to a 370 hp fiero 4 cyl that turned a 9.72 at 134.41 at the keystone nationals on sept 15 1985 in a comparison of an 88 fiero to a 308 ferrari. Wouldn't there be a confirmation in the records of that event. If there is we're still trying to beat a record that was made 25 years ago.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 10-12-2010).]

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1/4 ET = 12.259@109.11

Nice time man! Looks like a bit of tuning helped! The times I trapped 109-110mph I only ran in the 12.6-12.7 range. Looking at my old slips, it looks like your 60ft was about .1 faster than mine though. Nice launch! I miss cutting 1.7 60fts. I have a hard time getting a good launch with the turbo.

If all things go as planned, I'm hoping to be posting a new pb here in a few days...

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph
gmtuners.com -Build info

ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I beat a (Z06) Vette by about 3 car lengths but the Vett posted a faster time......WTF....

The Vette did have a bad start because of a late reaction time but still....

That's why, the timers don't start until you start moving. You left before him so your timer started first. So, while you did beat him to the finish line, he traveled a 1/4 mile in less time.

Nice runs.

------------------

'10 Camaro LT/RS, 312hp V6 6-speed
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO

The rest of my cars are for sale
There's no replacement for turbo placement

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 10-12-2010).]

Steve25

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got to get out to Milan before the season ended. The engine has been back together and it has been back on the road for 3 weeks. A few minor bugs to works out.

Very happy with the results. Previous best was 13.32

L26 short block with Series 2 L67 top swap.
NIC cam, no intercooler
Factory stock 99 Throttle body and Gen 3 M90, 3" pulley
Comp Cams Hi-Tech 1.8 rockers for a BBC
Rhoads XL lifters for LS1
eBay headers $70 + $30 shipping
Magnaflow Camaro 3" in X dual 2.5" outs
4T65E-HD with lots of hard parts and 7/8th" chain, 3.29 final
Nice Torque Converter built by Enterprise Torque Converters, custom stall

DH Tune

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT\3800 SC\4T65E-HD
NIC Cam\Comp Cam Hi-Tech 1.8 rockers\Rhoads XL Lifters
eBay Headers\Magnaflow Camaro muffler, 3.4 pulley
DH Tune

Wanna go faster?

[This message has been edited by Steve25 (edited 11-07-2010).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!

Just out of curiosity, did you modify your existing engine, or build a new one?
Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original 99 L67 spun a rod bearing. I got an L26 from a junkyard and used the short block. JustinBart and Darkhorizon did the wrenching, fabricating and some pretty clever 'on the fly' engineering.

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT\3800 SC\4T65E-HD
eBay Headers\Magnaflow Camaro muffler, 3.25 pulley
DH Tune

Wanna go faster?

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
12.017@111.61

I didn't break into the 11's!

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SO CLOSE!!!

I'm guessing you feel like this ---->
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bet if you taped up all of the openings in the front bumper for the run, you could have shaved that 0.017 seconds.
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

SO CLOSE!!!

I'm guessing you feel like this ---->

What do I do next,,,,,???
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by doublec4:

I bet if you taped up all of the openings in the front bumper for the run, you could have shaved that 0.017 seconds.

..... Fer, Reel ?
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hot D@mn! that is some great time Terrance... nice 60'!!

as for the tape job, it is definately true that the more slippery the car, the lower your CD, which should lower your time(s)... though I have never seen it done to a Fiero before, nor how much it would actually help.

It certainly would help at high speeds... and I reckon 112mph qualifies as high speed!

The other guy was pretty fast too... what was he running?

Did you find some race gas?... how much $$?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

hot D@mn! that is some great time Terrance... nice 60'!!

as for the tape job, it is definately true that the more slippery the car, the lower your CD, which should lower your time(s)... though I have never seen it done to a Fiero before, nor how much it would actually help.

It certainly would help at high speeds... and I reckon 112mph qualifies as high speed!

The other guy was pretty fast too... what was he running?

Did you find some race gas?... how much $$?

I came by your way (in the country) and picked up a few gallons of the 109. However, they had some @ the track and will get some there next time and save myself a trip.

The other guy was some kind of Vette, not sure which model 12.3 and a 1970 Ford pickup 12.5. I also ran a "real" Zo6 Vette and he ran a 11.5 while I spun tires @ the line. After I saw his 7.0L V8 with an upgrade Fast intake and CAI, I guess I got a little too exicted and over did it at the start.

I raced the same Vette as last time but this time the results were in reverse, I ran the 12.0 and he ran the 12.3 but he beat me to the finish line. I guess I need to stop winning because I trap better times.

Terrance
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What do I do next,,,,,???

Man you are almost there....Some DR to take care of the spinning which will cut you a better 60' and you are in the 11s....

About to pass up my PB...can't let that happen....I better get to work on something......
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

..... Fer, Reel ?

Sounds ridiculous, but you'd be suprised how much aero drag works against you even at 60mph... as you go faster, drag force increases exponentially.... double your speed, quadruple your aero drag force.

0.017 seconds isn't much. Lower your coefficient of drag and you'd notice a difference. Wouldn't hurt your cooling system for one run down the track.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Man you are almost there....Some DR to take care of the spinning which will cut you a better 60' and you are in the 11s....

About to pass up my PB...can't let that happen....I better get to work on something......

I wish I had time to pick up those DR's before the weekend. Oh well, I am happy with my times although I am still positive I can run 11.88 with out them. I just have to prove it and then back it up with another run.

All you need is a tune, and 11's are "easy" for your setup. DHP powrtuner rules !!!
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Sounds ridiculous, but you'd be suprised how much aero drag works against you even at 60mph... as you go faster, drag force increases exponentially.... double your speed, quadruple your aero drag force.

0.017 seconds isn't much. Lower your coefficient of drag and you'd notice a difference. Wouldn't hurt your cooling system for one run down the track.

Sounds reasonable. What would you use, Duct tape? Also do you think the GT spoiler helps or hinders the Fiero in the 1/4 mile? Is it for show or go?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GT spoiler at stock height probably doesn't have much of an effect. It sits low, usually in pretty turbulent air anyways. Probably more trouble than its worth to take it off.

I don't know if I would use duct tape on the front, not sure if its paint friendly. Maybe someone else can chime in with a better idea. I think it would be a cool experiement to do a couple of runs with it on and a couple with it off. See if there is a net difference.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not get to do alot of testing on this, but popping the hood on steve25's setup gave him about 1.5mph extra at the traps.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I did not get to do alot of testing on this, but popping the hood on steve25's setup gave him about 1.5mph extra at the traps.

Relieving the high pressure under the hood and giving the air somewhere to go would probably have that effect. Good thinking.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Terrance is running a vented hood... but nevertheless... that sounds like good thinking.

edit-- maybe that painters blue (masking style, the widest they sell) tape would work. Though not real stiff, it should not harm car paint.
A lot of people put it behind the rear wheels to prevent burnout build up on their paint.
Or run with a car bra--- put duct tape on that thing... it wouldn't care. Just clean up any sticky residue with some goof off or gasoline.

[This message has been edited by blakeinspace (edited 11-15-2010).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steve had a large vent as well.

I have always used painters tape for track only mods like that. Toss some on the wheel wells to keep rubber off, and then some on your headlight doors.
Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also has a bra on it with bumps that would help extract some air from the vent. Here is a pic when the vent was intalled.

[This message has been edited by Steve25 (edited 11-15-2010).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump! It is almost that time of year, again.

I see sub 12's in my immediate future.
87GreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2011 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GreenGTSend a Private Message to 87GreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anyone run 9's yet?
Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Close. If you double the speed you square the force.

[This message has been edited by Steve25 (edited 04-07-2011).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question: Will an hole in your exhaust cause you to run faster or slower?

I know 3800 don't made the best exhaust note in the car world but I know my car was sounding a bit odd.

I looked all over for the source of the sound but could not locate it.

I just found out that my o2 bung lost it's plug. I plan on putting in a wideband in but had the plug in there temporarly.

So at least I will get my "normal" exhaust not back, but more importantly I hope to get that .1 or .2 sec that will put me in the 11's
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve25:

Its the same thing... If you take a number, square it, and then take the original number, multiply it by two and square that, you get 4 times the original value squared...
Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its the same thing... If you take a number, square it, and then take the original number, multiply it by two and square that, you get 4 times the original value squared...

Interesting, and true, but unfortunately that is neither quadrulped nor relevant.

Speed is a scalar quantity commonly expressed for our interests as Miles Per Hour or Kilometers Per Hour

Aerodynamic friction, can be written as a force, -apAv2/2, where a is called the aerodynamic drag coeficient, p is air density, A is the effective frontal area (cross section) and v the speed.

We could not have a meaningful discussion of Aerodynamic Friction without involving Bernoulli's Principle and some fairly serious physics.

In an attempt to restate the discussion so that a layman might have a feel for the dynamics might I offer this admittedly oversimplified example:

If at XX MPH the effective force of Aerodynamic friction is resolved to and expressed as pounds of force per square inch of effective frontal area of the vehicle as YY PSI then at

2(XX) MPH the effective force of Aerodynamic friction will be (YY)^2 PSI

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT\3800 SC\L67\L26\4T65E-HD
eBay Headers\Magnaflow Camaro muffler, 3.4 pulley
DH Tune

Wanna go faster?

PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Interesting, and true, but unfortunately that is neither quadrulped nor relevant.

Speed is a scalar quantity commonly expressed for our interests as Miles Per Hour or Kilometers Per Hour

Aerodynamic friction, can be written as a force, -apAv2/2, where a is called the aerodynamic drag coeficient, p is air density, A is the effective frontal area (cross section) and v the speed.

We could not have a meaningful discussion of Aerodynamic Friction without involving Bernoulli's Principle and some fairly serious physics.

In an attempt to restate the discussion so that a layman might have a feel for the dynamics might I offer this admittedly oversimplified example:

If at XX MPH the effective force of Aerodynamic friction is resolved to and expressed as pounds of force per square inch of effective frontal area of the vehicle as YY PSI then at

2(XX) MPH the effective force of Aerodynamic friction will be (YY)^2 PSI

I think I speak for most of the people who have read this post when I say.... HUH?!?!?!?
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a small improvement left lane car 311
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any improvement is a good one. Plus, you climbed a few steps up the ladder.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshua riedl:

a small improvement left lane car 311

I would take that improvement anyday
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*BUMP*

Has anybody been out this season? I doubt I'll run my Fiero this year but I would like to see some new times out there.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph
FOR SALE
GM Tuners

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm waiting til fall. Summer in Florida is not a very good time to go drag racing.

Not that my Fiero is really fast or anything, so it doesn't really matter. I doubt anyone is sitting on the edge of their seat, hoping to see me break into the 14's.

It would be cool to see what some of the faster guys are up to, though.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by doublec4:

Both of you are correct, of course. Drag *FORCE* goes as (is proportional to) the square of speed. Double the speed and force goes up by a factor of four.

Drag *POWER* on the other hand, goes as the CUBE of speed. Double the speed and the required power goes up by a factor of EIGHT.

This is why a Bugatti needs eight times the power of a stock Fiero to go twice the speed.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 07-13-2011).]

Fog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FogSend a Private Message to FogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
10.614 @ 131 (speed in timeslip is in kph)

'84 SE with Stage II Buick V6 277ci turbo + THM425

Note, this is my second car, so the 12.3 that is currently listed should stay
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fog, could you list race weight and turbo used for comparative purposes ?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock