Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What Did You Do To Your Fiero...TODAY ? (Page 172)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 172 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141   142   143   144   145   146   147   148   149   150   151   152   153   154   155   156   157   158   159   160   161   162   163   164   165   166   167   168   169   170   171   172 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What Did You Do To Your Fiero...TODAY ? by cliffw
Started on: 08-27-2007 12:27 PM
Replies: 6867 (216555 views)
Last post by: jim94 on 04-25-2024 11:49 PM
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2023 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Made a lot of progress on my 987 seat swap. I'm 99% down. Just need to hook up power and ground.
IP: Logged
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2023 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to my favorite junkyard and I found a side vent to put on the car and painted it flat black and finally replaced the small aftermarket scoop that has been on there since I got the car. I also found a replacement headlight module to replace the finicky one the car had. I would have to press the headlight switch twice to put the lights up, happy that is fixed. Lastly, I found a HUD in a Grand Prix and I am working on that project now, I need to pick up a new soldering iron with a really fine tip as the electrical contacts I'm working with are absolutely tiny.
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2023 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:
Made a lot of progress on my 987 seat swap. I'm 99% down. Just need to hook up power and ground.

I see you have the same floor mats that I do, which faded A LOT over the years. These are so much lighter now than when I bought them.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2023 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Washed the car for a car show this Saturday and got my new HVAC controls in the mail. I'll be working on installing this next. And I'm working on a HUD as well. Lots of work to do...

I'll upload a better photo later. I cracked my camera.

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After responding unforeseen ‘crises’ of Life's little emergencies; completed all of my chores and even finished enough items from my official ‘do list’ - I was able to work on the Fiero this weekend!

I decided to attack the dreadful and time-consuming job of stripping the faded factory finish on the metal rear deck vents……

I started by washing them down, and then drilled-out the pop rivets from the ‘J’ rubber seals and the push rivets from the UV baffle to separate them from the main grill.

Using Citristrip® Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel; I bathe the thin aluminum plate first in a covered pan around an hour. Then using a brass wire brush; I scrubbed-off the black goo…

The ‘sunny side’ got very clean; however the engine bay side needs another pass to remove a few areas of black paint.

Today, I’ll soak the main grills next which I believe it will be easier than scrubbing the thin aluminum baffle, I hope!

I’m still researching if I’ll use Heli-Coil inserts; threaded inserts or simply fill the main grill rivet holes for the UV baffle with J-B WELD epoxy, and then drill/thread them for new fasteners.

Painting on Raw Aluminum
I’m planning to use POR-15 products to refinish the vent parts as I've heard nothing but good reviews.

Their 3-Step Procedure:
1st: ‘Cleaner Degreaser’
2nd: ‘Metal-Prep’ which etches the metal and leaving a zinc phosphate finish
3rd: ‘Top Coat’ which I’ll use an aerosol gloss black

POR-15 Top Coat DTM paint is a direct-to-metal UV Resistant coating designed to work on prepped bare metal {as above}with no need for a bonding primer and has exceptional long-term sheen and color retention; they say….

Another option is Mar-Hyde™ Black Satin Automotive Trim Coating which has a Fiero on the can! However, I’m leaning on a gloss finish better than the original satin finish…..

{EDIT}
'No Joy' on the main grill black 'paint'!
After two hours, the chemical paint stripper didn't remove the black finish the tiniest bit....

So, I'll look for local shops first with 'soft' blast media like glass beads or baking soda at a low pressure to only strip the coating without causing harm to the aluminum surface.

If no success, I guess I'll slightly sand the satin finish and then use the same POR-15 products as the original paint is really bonded well on the aluminum.

Damn.....
------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 03-11-2024).]

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the last part and got my car back on the road after months of it being down. 😀 Surprisingly the battery was still up. It was great to be back in the seat again.

I can’t remember if my signature still works here. I’ll check the box and see what happens.

------------------

Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2024 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time to admit my embarrassing mistake I finally rectified.

Never really figured out why my 86GT ran so hot while moving. Basically had to have the rad fan on all the time and still cruised at 225 on the highway. At idle it would cool right now.

Never noticed the fact my freaking airdam has been missing. Yoinked one from a friend who is swapping to a mouth breathing bumperpad.

Guess what, my car runs cool now. Whodathunk? Unfortunately I lost my Thermostat last summer while trying to dianose the heat issue. So no I have no heat when its 30 degrees out lol. Easy fix
richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2024 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
too cold still today but eight days ago i replaced the heater core without breaking anything.i felt lucky there.a couple of days later i replaced the front parking light socket.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2024 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the first warm weekends of the year. Finally getting back to the wide body. Working my gaps and body lines. Working the rocker fitment is turning out more difficult than it should be.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 03-12-2024).]

IzMrPickel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2024 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IzMrPickelSend a Private Message to IzMrPickelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well today will be all about cleaning the engine bay and further prep for my manual swap! in the event i dont have parts waiting for me when i get home, then further work to make the headlights better so i dont get shown up by a miata is on the list.
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2024 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The all silver colored car cover is less than 1 year old. I did not like starting with day 1. It is NOT a "custom fit" for an 88gt with spoiler. SEALSKINCOVERS.COM
Bought on 5/13/2023 for $153.

The replacement cover is from Coverland.com. On sale plus a veterans discount lowered the price to $143. So far (a few days) it fits a lot better than the previous cover.

This last pic shows just how LARGE the silver cover was. The black bag is what the NEW cover came in.
PFF
System Bot
redromo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redromoSend a Private Message to redromoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Figured I would install the Rodney Dickman short throw shifter while I still could. Love the way it changes the way the shifting feels.

[This message has been edited by redromo (edited 03-25-2024).]

gregr75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gregr75Send a Private Message to gregr75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
back on the road for a trip up and down my street after 18 months out of comission! still need to button up things and sort out a hundred issues.

------------------
87 GT Stock 2.8L

1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered new alternator, window motor, some switches, spark plugs, etc. Rodney Dickman idler/power pulley, some stickers, and in the process of ordering Mr Mikes seats, sent message about refinishing my steering wheel (no reply yet. Please, take my money Irrationable!) and will be ordering new sail panels, headlights, dew wipes, etc. soon. Over the winter my Fiero has gone from a junky, nothing special, no rust car to being in great mechanical and cosmetic shape (on the inside and under the hood/decklid, everywhere but the paint, which is not good, but that will be the only problem with it!).

[This message has been edited by 1985 Fiero GT (edited 03-28-2024).]

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2024 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had been working on my faded metal heat vents/grilles next to the rear deck lid……

Before I drop-off the four parts for blasting and powder coating; my desire is to remount the original thin lower ‘tray’ which were riveted beneath the main grilles.

The plan is to make the grilles ‘easier’ to clean-out tree leaves or ‘matter’ which often gets trapped on the 'UV Baffles'.

I decided to use M6-1.0 Heli-Coil inserts as I had all the tools to install them.

The machining process on the upper grills was to drill the mounting areas….

Tapped the holes and installed the inserts…..

And screwed-in the new hardware, so they’re now ready for blasting and powder coating…..

------------------

Darren C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren CSend a Private Message to Darren CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sourced 1 yard of new old stock Fiero seat material from a guy near Detroit (but had a nightmare as he wouldn't ship outside US - so it took almost 3 months to get it sent to a friend in CA & then had to wait until he visited UK to bring it over with him - really hard work when folks just point blank refuse to ship me parts, its not difficult to send USPS, why be so awkward ????)

Anyway I replaced the center panel in my drivers seat squab

The original material was badly split & the foam underneath was no good

I removed the cover, unpicked the stitches, used the removed piece as a template, cut the new material & sewed it all back together by hand as I don't have a sewing machine.

The finished repair

All done in my kitchen, about 8hrs of hand sewing
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darren C:

...really hard work when folks just point blank refuse to ship me parts, its not difficult to send USPS, why be so awkward ????

Tell me about it. Very recently, an eBay vendor in Seattle WA informed me they wouldn't ship across the border to me here in Vancouver BC, only 142 miles away. "No international shipping" was their response to my inquiry. Not only that, but they also wouldn't make use of eBay's International Shipping program where eBay themselves actually ship the item across the border. And then to top it off, when I had secured an American address of a third-party forwarding company to have them ship to, I discovered when I went to bid on the item that bidding was restricted to bids from only within the US.

And your seat looks great!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-02-2024).]

bandi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bandiSend a Private Message to bandiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally dropped the engine from my '87 GT (basically a barn find, parked for 25 years indoors with an exhaust leak).

Did sort of have it running but it would quit after a few seconds, almost like it was running on the cold start injector alone. I figured I'd drop everything and re-do all of the engine gaskets and stuff while it's out - also needed a small repair on the cradle. Also have a set of roller rockers to install, plus the valve covers and intake could use some cleanup and paint.

Ran the injectors on a signal generator, and they were all stuck closed. After letting them soak for a few days, I ran them again and they're all working with decent flow.

The engine was allegedly rebuilt before the car was parked with an exhaust leak, and all of the frost plugs and gaskets look "new" so maybe there's some truth behind this.

Found the exhaust leak!
bandi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bandiSend a Private Message to bandiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bandi

29 posts
Member since Jun 2021

Originally posted by rbell2915:

Washed the car for a car show this Saturday and got my new HVAC controls in the mail. I'll be working on installing this next. And I'm working on a HUD as well. Lots of work to do...

I'll upload a better photo later. I cracked my camera.

Well this has me intrigued.
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2024 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mounted my brand new tires on my freshly polished rims and finally moved my Fiero (had been parked on 4 wheel jackstands all winter) it needed a wash!
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did some fine tuning on the front swaybar arms, took 39lbs off the front nose, re tuned the ignition timing table and just waiting for some track time to get a feel of the new engine.

PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Repaired wing stand studs with Jb weld. Worked great. New battery, startup perfect after about a year and a half. Tcc locked and would not stay running when put into drive. Two footed gas and brake and somehow got it to open. Still get engine light after 40-45, but runs great. Fyi, tcc sensor still plugged in and transmission still works normal at highway speeds which is strange to me but anyway.....

Missed the hell out of driving this car!! And lurking back on the forum!
Anthony196

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony196Send a Private Message to Anthony196Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled the front suspension out to start the rebuild process. I've gone this far, I'm thinking I should pull the front subframe so I can clean and paint it...

richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im trying to install 'the fiero store dual exhaust on my 1987 2.5.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2024 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been playing with front brakes on my 88:

Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2024 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Driving with some other sporty cars down an unmarked highway in Mexico, clipping along at 120ish my right headlight door, which was already slightly damaged caught air and snapped up and off, it flew back and cracked my A-Pillar and disappeared into the wilderness along the highway.

So I got to replace my driverside headlight door. I am grateful I am not doing a windshield
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2024 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my heat vent / grille parts back from powder coating.....

Cleaned and installed the original 'J' seals on the main grilles.....

Installed the UV baffles in the main grilles and threaded/tighten the new hardware........

As I'm done in the engine bay....

Installed the Refurbished Heat Vents/Grilles Next to the Rear Deck and Closed the Lid!

------------------

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2024 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I gave my car a wash ready for cars and coffee in st. Augustine Florida on Saturday. My 87gt looks wonderful. I love the vent project, they came out great.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 172 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   83   84   85   86   87   88   89   90   91   92   93   94   95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   111   112   113   114   115   116   117   118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141   142   143   144   145   146   147   148   149   150   151   152   153   154   155   156   157   158   159   160   161   162   163   164   165   166   167   168   169   170   171   172 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock