Started on: 11-12-2004 10:57 PM
Replies: 215
Last post by: Ks86gt on 10-20-2009 06:27 PM
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2005 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Back to the top again. I got the shop back togeather, what a long two months.

In the next few days I will likely coat up some new stuff. All of the parts listed are ready to go.

Aaron

IP: Logged
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
bump
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Electrathon

5233 posts
Member since Dec 2002
All PM's and email have been answered.

Aaron

DelawareFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 139
User Banned

Report this Post03-25-2005 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DelawareFieroSend a Private Message to DelawareFieroDirect Link to This Post
I would love to buy some stuff from you. I also need some other items done. But I can only imagine the shipping costs involved to ship from DE to OR back to DE .

But looks great....Im glad to hear the shop is back on its feet.

------------------
"Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight," Psalms 144:1.

88GT Red 5spd.
88GT Red TOP SECRET
88GT White Auto
87GT Silver 5spd daily driver "The Slug"
87GT Maroon auto 3800SC swap almost done (was to be mamapenguins car, change o plans)
85 SC Blue w/GT body on it.
85 SE Black auto

Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Just a teaser picture of an intake set up I am doing for another member.

The valve covers are done in a true red color, the intake is in chrome smoke (it is not as dark as it looks in the picture).
fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
making me drool !! man i can't wait now WHAT A TEASER !!!!
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
Electrathon, Is that red called ruby red on eastwood? I am going to blast my valve covers, lower, middle, and upper intake plenums before i send them to you and i was wondering if alluminum oxide work to strip them with. I am using a hobby shops blasting cabinet so i cant use glass beads so i have to use the alluminum oxide.
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it is Eastwood ruby red. It is a true red, not the orange red that is factroy (vermillion is closer to factory).

Yes, Alluminum oxide will work. I have used both Alluminum oxide and slag. Slag is faster but is more agressive. I always burn the paint in the oven first, or it would take forever to blast it off. It is a very tough paint, almost as strong as powder coat.

MRBLUE87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRBLUE87Send a Private Message to MRBLUE87Direct Link to This Post
Do you still have one of the V6 air cleaners to sell?
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MRBLUE87:

Do you still have one of the V6 air cleaners to sell?

Yes, I have 2 of them ready to go. Neither have the side port, so your car needs to have had the recall preformed for them to fit.

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
any chance of a tech article on how your masking and setting up your overn? I've been trying a few things and getting 'eh' results. I think I'm not leaving the stuff in long enough and sections aren't melting enough, it looks like there is sand under the coating. Might also be that I've been trying the Harbor Freight powder. Been practicing on my student's Briggs engines they are rebuilding for an intro automotive high school class before moving on to my parts for my own cars :-) It isn't easy getting an even coating on deep finned areas.

Do you use some sort of temp sensor (infared temp gun maybe?) to tell when the item has reached correct temp to start the 15-20 minute countdown? I suspect my problem has been counting from time item enters oven. I'll have to try some more this week while the class is on spring break. Since I'm also using a household oven in my shop, I'm wondering how long a cast valve cover takes you about if time specified is 15-20 minutes. I've got a Holley cover I'd like to redo and don't want to screw it up.

PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:

I think I'm not leaving the stuff in long enough and sections aren't melting enough, it looks like there is sand under the coating.

You are getting something called "outgassing". It is inpurities in the metal pores pushing out with the heat of the oven. You need to prebake your parts, at least as long as it is going to be in the oven, likely longer. If I was going to do a mower block I would put it in at 400 degrees for about an hour. This is done after it is already cleaned. Then let it cool and coat it. The "clean" cycle on the oven is your best friend to strip off mistakes, 20 minutes on clean and it will sandblast off easy.

Might also be that I've been trying the Harbor Freight powder. Been practicing on my student's Briggs engines they are rebuilding for an intro automotive high school class before moving on to my parts for my own cars :-) It isn't easy getting an even coating on deep finned areas.

Get some good quality powder from Eastwood or Caswell. Better quality and there are far more color choices. When coating in corners or tight areas, let off the charge switch. The electricity will actually repel the powder in a corner. Coat the hardest areas first, the overspray will do the rest. That way you will not end up with it too thick in the main surface areas.

Do you use some sort of temp sensor (infared temp gun maybe?) to tell when the item has reached correct temp to start the 15-20 minute countdown? I suspect my problem has been counting from time item enters oven. I'll have to try some more this week while the class is on spring break. Since I'm also using a household oven in my shop, I'm wondering how long a cast valve cover takes you about if time specified is 15-20 minutes. I've got a Holley cover I'd like to redo and don't want to screw it up.

You start timing from the point that the powder turns shiney. A thin tin piece might flow out in a minute or two. A thick part might take 10 minutes to flow. The cast fiero covers take just under 5 minutes to totally flow out. The change trays sometimes flow before I get them all loaded into the oven. Overbaking is better than underbacking, if you are in doubt. The only temp sensor that I have is a thermomiter hanging in the oven.

It might be sort of fun to do a write up on what is involved with redoing a set of valve covers and intake.

[This message has been edited by Electrathon (edited 04-12-2005).]

MRBLUE87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRBLUE87Send a Private Message to MRBLUE87Direct Link to This Post
I'll take an air cleaner- Electrathon - see my PM for info-Thanks
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MRBLUE87:

I'll take an air cleaner- Electrathon - see my PM for info-Thanks

Got it boxed and ready to go.

Aaron

Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Electrathon

5233 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Been working in the shop tonight.

It will go out in the mail tomorrow.

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
sweet, thanks for the info, on the parts with more mass, do you try to powdercoat them hot at all?

That intake and valve cover set looks great!

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Can you do parts in WHITE..?? Well, really more of an 'off white' kinda like a cream color..??
I want the 4.9L to match the color of what the choptop is going to be.. Also I will be doing the interior in the Cream and Navy Blue...

Thanks!
Steve

ps. I have some stock parts I can send you in exchange for some work on the 4.9L parts.. Interested..??
I have 2 sets of V6 valve covers and a complete 2.8L that I can break down( ALL brackets, TB, etc... Think about it and PM me because I may forget about this thread..

------------------

Choptytopped WideBody GT 1 of 1
4.9L-V8-Auto---almost finished

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
That's called primer Steve :-)
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

on the parts with more mass, do you try to powdercoat them hot at all?

No, I only preheat parts that have a second layer of powder going on. It is hard to judge the thickness of the powder buildup when the part is preheated. The leangth of time that it takes for the part to reach temperature os not an issue, just that it gets there.

Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Electrathon

5233 posts
Member since Dec 2002

That's called primer Steve :-)

LOL I couldn't pass this one up There is a primer that can be used for powder coat, it might be easier to do your parts that way then to worry about painting smoothGT.

Steve, after your parts are all coated you will have to post an actual picture of what it looks like.

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to bump this.

I'll have you finish up some of my other parts later this month/early next.

I was in the basement looking at the parts you have already done and they are REALLY REALLY REALLY nice. They look perfect. Just another bump for the quality of your work.

PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
To the top for the weekend.
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2005 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
A few things changed on the main post, and a bump.
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Another intake almost done (this is for another member).
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
That my intake and valve covers Thats gonna look really good. I cant wait to get it on the car, and im coming to westfest too Excellent job Aaron!
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post

daniel87fierogt

1793 posts
Member since Oct 2003
bump... any pics of the upper intake yet?
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2005 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
If I ever get the nerve to tear apart my 3800, you'll have some more business
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2005 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Been out in the shop again.

This one goes out tomorrow in the mail.

Originally posted by daniel87fierogt:

That my intake and valve covers

Yup, this one is yours It looks very pretty!

turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2005 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seDirect Link to This Post
Aaron, thank you very much for powder-coating my air box! It looks absolutely fantastic!! I went back to the j/y today and all of the V6 air boxes were in really bad shape. One of them literally deteriorated in my hands with rust. I did pick up a pair of V6 air tubes and I'd like to send them to you to be powder-coated. I do like the smoked chrome, but I was thinking red. Then again the smoked chrome would look great. If you're looking for cores they have two other sets I could send to you too. LMK if you need them and how much to powder-coat.

Thanks again!!

fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2005 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

Been out in the shop again.

This one goes out tomorrow in the mail.

Yup, this one is yours It looks very pretty!

HAY YOU TOOK MY COLORS , JUST KIDDING THEY LOOK GREAT ! ELECTRATHON DOES GREAT WORK I LOVE MY INTAKES HE DID

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2005 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
Looks excellent Aaron, I cant wait till they get here so i can install them and see just how good its gonna look.
PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2005 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turbo86se:

Aaron, thank you very much for powder-coating my air box! It looks absolutely fantastic!! I went back to the j/y today and all of the V6 air boxes were in really bad shape. One of them literally deteriorated in my hands with rust. I did pick up a pair of V6 air tubes and I'd like to send them to you to be powder-coated. I do like the smoked chrome, but I was thinking red. Then again the smoked chrome would look great. If you're looking for cores they have two other sets I could send to you too. LMK if you need them and how much to powder-coat.

Thanks again!!

Glad you are happy.

If you send me three sets of tubes I will send you one set back coated. You pay shipping to me, I will pay it back. I really like the chrome smoke on the air tubes best.

The pic of you car looks very nice too!

Aaron

Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2005 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Here is another one I am working on for another member.

I have yet to polish the fins on it, it will look better then. Posting the pic to alive some of the excitement that comes with anticipation.
KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2005 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVDirect Link to This Post
I must say great work!!! ..I plan on having you do my lower,middle and upper intake and valve cover on my 88GT restore.. again great job !!

------------------

[This message has been edited by KEV (edited 05-17-2005).]

Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2005 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadDirect Link to This Post
Hey i have quite a few sets of ashtrays and would like one set back powdercoated, how many total sets should i send to get 1 back?
Also, can you do them in blue?

Thanks,

Jacob Carson

[This message has been edited by Weponhead (edited 05-17-2005).]

Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2005 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Weponhead:

Hey i have quite a few sets of ashtrays and would like one set back powdercoated, how many total sets should i send to get 1 back?
Also, can you do them in blue?

If you send me 6 trays I will send you two back and cover shipping. Yes, I have navy blue.

Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2005 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadDirect Link to This Post
so wait 6 sets or 3? sorry we are kinda speaking different volume levels.. if i understand correctly 3 sets if not just slap me and correct me.

Thanks..

Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2005 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

so wait 6 sets or 3? sorry we are kinda speaking different volume levels.. if i understand correctly 3 sets if not just slap me and correct me.

Thanks..

You send me 6 trays (3 pair) and I will send you back 2 trays (one pair).

Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2005 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadDirect Link to This Post
ok great , i'll send you a package sometime soon

[This message has been edited by Weponhead (edited 05-19-2005).]

Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2005 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

ok great , do you want to PM your address? or is it on here somewhere?

The address is in the first post on the thread.

The color I have is navy blue.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock