Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  12" brake upgrade for an 88 coming for sale (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
12" brake upgrade for an 88 coming for sale by GSXRBOBBY
Started on: 09-19-2004 09:50 PM
Replies: 237
Last post by: GSXRBOBBY on 06-03-2005 09:11 PM
sqoach

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2004 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
How much extra weight is this going to add per wheel than the stock setup?
IP: Logged
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
maybe a pound or two tops?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
thespeedshop@sbcglobal.net
My build thread

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2004 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
bump

------------------
88 coupe 4.9 Izusu 5-speed Rockcrawl chip. True duels.No A/C . Built to run.

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2004 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
The rotors are bigger, and there's the extra brackets. Has to be more than a pound or two. I was asking because I thought you knew. When you find out, you should post the results.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2004 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sqoach:

The rotors are bigger, and there's the extra brackets. Has to be more than a pound or two. I was asking because I thought you knew. When you find out, you should post the results.

The bracket doesnt weigh much more than a pound. The rotors are bigger. I'll weigh the new rotor tomorrow. if I can find an original rotor, I can weigh that one too.

are fish scales okay for getting the weight?

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Hey GSXRBobby, is it at all possible to get just the numbers for the brackets. IE the diagrams. I have a guy here who will do it for me really cheap. Don't get me wrong, I have no intentions of selling it as a kit. Just curious if you are willing to release them.

Eric

------------------

Used is such a harsh term. . . I perfer "Previously obsessed over" ;)

88 4 cyl 5 speed: All show and no go
86 SE V-6 Turbo 4 speed: All go and no show for sale

Wait. . . Did I just say I can't wait to do more work on my Fiero?. . .what, am I retarded?

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
I'd be for it!

------------------
Fiero Formula | MI Street Scene | AudioFreeze | CarDomain

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Racingman24 e-mail me

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I have been eyeing up the WCF brake kit, but putting it off because of costs. I'd be interested depending on what your final costs are going to be.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I have still not heard from the shop and I am not going to be pushing them so they will do this on the side to help keep the cost down. I will post as soon as I hear something. Also if the cost is not a good amount cheaper than everyone else than I don't see it worth all the trouble and risk for me, so again I am tring to make them better and at a lower cost for all of us. Just like the Spec clutches I helped get set up for the Northstar's swap.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Well, the first place I went to wants way to much. So I am going to go shop around and see if I can beat that price? I will let you all know when I know something.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

PFF
System Bot
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GSXRBOBBY:

Well, the first place I went to wants way to much. So I am going to go shop around and see if I can beat that price? I will let you all know when I know something.

I'm in the early stages of doing the vette disk swap for my 88 IMSA wb project. Today I built the centering rings, which takes about 20 minutes each. Dig up 4 junk rear rotors from any early Fiero and cut out the center with a side grinder with cuttoff wheel attached. just cut between each stud hole to begin with, then rough out a 3" OD. from there it takes about 10 minutes to turn down the outside on a lathe to match the Vett rotors ID. Even without your own lathe you can save a bunch of money by starting with the junk rotors, as now all the machinest has to do is turn down the OD for you.

YMMV,
Russ

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 10-13-2004).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see a few pictures on just how you did the brackets?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

I would like to see a few pictures on just how you did the brackets?

The brackets are at my shop at the moment but I can take some dsetailed pics tomorrow if you'd like. also see the last frame of the 2nd page of my thread on the IMSA at
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/054893-2.html

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2004 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
How thick is the steel plate you are using?
What type drill bit did you use and how much of a pain was it to drill through the rotors? And the plate?
And yes a plasma cutter would have saved you a good day!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

GoFast85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2004 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GoFast85Send a Private Message to GoFast85Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

I've run stock GT wheels on an '88 with the 12" Vette rotors. It's tight, but they fit with about 1/8" clearance. I make my own brackets, they are not the same as the WCF ones.

Jon

Would you have the spec on your brackets. I sure like my stock rims and do not want the 17"

[This message has been edited by GoFast85 (edited 10-19-2004).]

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2004 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

How thick is the steel plate you are using?
What type drill bit did you use and how much of a pain was it to drill through the rotors? And the plate?
And yes a plasma cutter would have saved you a good day!!!

The steel I used measures .344 thick. The offset difference between the Vett rotor and the Fiero is about .380 so you want to stay close to that figure.
No special drill bit is required for the rotors. they're easy to drill. You can use an old wheel hub as a drill guide (any year is fine). just firmly clamp the rotor to the old hub, with it's studs removed, then with the concentric ring installed and wile well supported on your drill press table, drill through the old stud holes. I don't recall what size bit I used but it was the first size (by 64th) larger than the old stud hole. After all the holes are drilled you can remove the hub and drill out the rotor to a finished size of 1/2". Your "pilot" holes will keep the bit centered for this.
Drilling the plate was no problem, but running a 12MM tap into two holes per each bracket is a bit of a chore to keep them straight and not break the tap. just takes a little of patience.

Russ

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
bump ..update?
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2-tone:

bump ..update?

I will have an update in around a week, I have been really busy but I am going to stay after this!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I have the blue print needed to have the inner spacers:

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Wow, that didn't really show up very well !!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

PFF
System Bot
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2004 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I found a place that will start the brackets and then I will be able to finish them, they have a somewhat good set up fee so I am going to continue talking with them about that, they have also gave me a place that is good on price and have a CNC machine and I will be talking to them about the inner rotor rings that are needed and having them redrill the bolt pattern. So far we are still looking at a lower price than WCF and they maybe made a bit stronger. I again will keep you updated.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I made a new friend today, and why do I think you guys care. He has a machine shop that he runs out of his polebarn at his home. I just dropped off the needed items for him to start on making the suport brackets, inner rings, and dropped off a set of rotors to be drilled out with the Fiero 5X100mm bolt pattern.

So at this time I am asking who what a set of upgraded brakes, the more we get on board the lower the price will be?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

Rhino88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhino88gtClick Here to visit Rhino88gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rhino88gtDirect Link to This Post
count me in!! BTW, did you figure out whether your brackets will fit the stock gt wheels for sure or not?? Im in regardless, I just wanted to know.
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post

I made a new friend today, and why do I think you guys care. He has a machine shop that he runs out of his polebarn at his home. I just dropped off the needed items for him to start on making the suport brackets, inner rings, and dropped off a set of rotors to be drilled out with the Fiero 5X100mm bolt pattern.

So at this time I am asking who what a set of upgraded brakes, the more we get on board the lower the price will be?

What is the price you are looking at for this whole setup??

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
All depends on the price but if its beats others prices then count me in.
Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

All depends on the price but if its beats others prices then count me in.

What he said. I'll buy depending what the price is. I already have x-drilled/slotted rotors for my Formula.
There will be hundreds that say I will buy it and when the time comes around to buy they are nowhere to be found. So can you give us a rough estimate of price?

newfie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfieSend a Private Message to newfieDirect Link to This Post
I'm definately in, as long as its not any more than WCF's setup.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Rhino88gt, I am tring to have them made so a 15" wheel will fit and at the least a 16".

MstangsBware is right it will all depend on the final price for each item made, and if I can not keep the price under WCF's there is no reason for me to be doing this, we will just order them from them?!?!

Spiff believe me when I say I wish I could, but it all depends on how many join us, how much material is when we have them done. I can guess "again just a guess" $375 to $450 plus shipping? But this should be a complete bolt on upgrade.

I am also going to take 1/2 orders, if someone just whats the inner rings to replace the ones they got from someone else thats fine or if they just want the brackets made or the brackets and inner rings and they think they can just drill there own rotors, "YA GOOD LUCK", I will do that also.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroDirect Link to This Post
Count me in. I have this thread added to my favorites. I'll keep an eye on it for updates.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
At this time we have 15 sets, 14 people but two just want rears but the two guys together will add up to a full set.
The new question I am wondering about is does everyone want all three items needed for the swap:
1) brake caliper support brackets #2 rightside and #2 leftside
2) #4 inner rotor rings
3) #4 redrilled rotors

The reason I am asking is a rotor is not light and we cost a few bucks to ship, but as you can see they are not really easy to have them redrilled for the 5X100mm bolt pattern?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

PFF
System Bot
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Just checked a few other forums I belong to and we are up to 18 sets.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

newfie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfieSend a Private Message to newfieDirect Link to This Post
I'm still in, sent you a PM though regarding rotors.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
sent one back, everyone he asked if he bought some cross drilled rotors would I have them redrilled and as long as he pays for the shipping I will have his redrilled over the ones I can get. Again my price for a replacement rotor is going to be $35.00 each, I have seen a few cross drilled on Ebay for about $90.00 a pair, does anybody know of a place that may have a better price I will get these or have a few of those done as well?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I still want the brake kit. Your post wasn't very clear on what you want us to do. Do you want us to buy the drilled rotors if that's what we want and ship them to you? Or are you guys just asking us if thats what we want, then you buy them? I would pay the extra $10 each to have the slotted/drilled ones. Oh, and I'll buy whever I need to do the complete swap. Let me know.
Thanks for taking on this project, very much appreciated.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
I am still in for the full kit if you can make it work with the stock 15" rims. I would possibly be able pick it up even to save shipping costs.

------------------

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
No, not $10 for cross drilled rotors we are looking at $10 to have the rotors redrilled to the Fiero's 5 X 100mm bolt pattern.
I am shopping around for cross drilled rotors however they are going to be over $100 for a pair of rotor instead of $70, $35 dollars each at my cost.

I will supply everything needed unless you want to send me rotors you buy, that is if you want to buy cross drilled or slotted rotor from Ebay or somewhere else.

Does that clear things up?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much. I don't think you read my post right. I said I'd be willing to pay $10 more per rotor. ie; 45 instead of 35 and get drilled rotors. I do preferred drilled, but might go with whatever your selling. I do want zinc coating atleast to avoid the rotors getting rusty. Again, I'm interested. When things are definite and your ready. I got money set aside for this.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear your on board because if we have half of the orders want cross drilled I can get them for about $50 to $55 a rotor if I buy a large amount of them.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
My build thread

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors