Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
   Chop Top Dreamers ? How close ($) are you ? (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
Chop Top Dreamers ? How close ($) are you ? by exoticse
Started on: 06-27-2004 01:28 PM
Replies: 224
Last post by: BlackThunderGT on 05-01-2013 01:46 AM
86GT3.4DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

There is an option where you can do all the dis-assembly & re-assembly on the interior. http://www.v8archie.com/choptop.htm However, this means you have to take all the interior apart including removing the dash, so you'll have to trailer it here & back.

We prefer to take the body parts off here. In the past where the customer dis-assembles the body, he always forgets to bring a body part or some fasteners or small parts & I always end up stealing those missing parts off of one of my own cars to complete the car on time.

Archie

Archie, I drove THIS around

I think I can make it up there with the interior out. lmao just joking around.

IP: Logged
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Archie is correct, or course, but I decided to give it the old college try and complete Will-Martin's chop top t-top. Everything Archie says on his webpage is correct. The art of chopping tops died when all the cars went to curved glass. His method of laying back the windshield is what makes chopping the Fiero economical. The art of cutting down a windshield is nearly a lost art. I've only been able to find one person in the country willing to try.

Don't expect it anytime soon, as I am trying to complete my "regular" chop top, (if there is such a thing) LOL

Glad to see Will's old car in good hands, good luck. I guess I'm on my own on my chop but I will post each step to help any other do it yourself members. After doing the 355 kits I'm use to chopping up Fieros.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

Glad to see Will's old car in good hands, good luck.

Thanks. The cutting and welding are the "easy" parts. The devil is in the details. Getting everything to fit properly and put back together is what makes Archie's job so nice. When he's done everything looks normal. I may have a lot of work ahead of me to get my chop t-top looking normal. If anybody wants to see where the welds are, I'll be more than happy to show them to you.

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Thanks. The cutting and welding are the "easy" parts. The devil is in the details. Getting everything to fit properly and put back together is what makes Archie's job so nice. When he's done everything looks normal. I may have a lot of work ahead of me to get my chop t-top looking normal. If anybody wants to see where the welds are, I'll be more than happy to show them to you.

I would like to know were Archie cuts and welds he has done them and has it down this would save me a lot of time. I know better than to ask him he is funny about giving out info to the do it your self people I've tried.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
F355spider, you have a PM

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

I would like to know were Archie cuts and welds he has done them and has it down this would save me a lot of time. I know better than to ask him he is funny about giving out info to the do it your self people I've tried.

to lower the roof i cut above the seatbelt bolts so the interior panels will still line up correctly with a little help. to shorten the roof i cut out from the center. you will see one area where you can remove material and still have the lines match up. then i cut slits in the metal so i could insert one into the other. this way is benefitial because it has less impact to the fiero's structure but won't allow a stock sunroof. you could make longer cuts in front of or behind the sunroof opening but then you will have welds the entire width on the roof. leaning the windshield down is pretty self explanitory and requires releifs to be cut to bend the roof up after the windshield goes down. i removed 1/2 inch from the center of the roof but i think my windshield is still too high so i would go maybe 3/4 of an inch. save the scraps you cut from the sides and weld them back over your welds for reinforcement. they will fit almost perfect so it's silly not to. pro-glass in illinois will make windows for $400. send them aluminum templates and one original window and they will send you new lexan with the edges polished and ready to install.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Good luck F355 spider on the chop top ! I love to see all chop top attempts be successful regardless who is doing them.

My suggestion would be to practice on a donor car first before cutting up your own. Why ? If it is difficult you will be glad you practiced first, if it is easy then no sweat, and no problem for you to come back and do another ?

Besides it is easier to build up a stripped down chassis than it is to fix a screwed up chop top hehehe.

As far as asking Archie for details ,...??? Can you blame him for not disclosing his secrets ?? You wouldn't ask Coca Cola for the recipe to coke and expect to get it now would you ???

Hehehe Best of luck !!

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2005 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Good luck F355 spider on the chop top ! I love to see all chop top attempts be successful regardless who is doing them.

My suggestion would be to practice on a donor car first before cutting up your own. Why ? If it is difficult you will be glad you practiced first, if it is easy then no sweat, and no problem for you to come back and do another ?

Besides it is easier to build up a stripped down chassis than it is to fix a screwed up chop top hehehe.

As far as asking Archie for details ,...??? Can you blame him for not disclosing his secrets ?? You wouldn't ask Coca Cola for the recipe to coke and expect to get it now would you ???

Hehehe Best of luck !!

Believe me, F355 has had plenty of practice cutting and fabbing on a Fiero haha.

--Will
------------------

[This message has been edited by Will-Martin (edited 05-03-2006).]

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
So how tall is the back window in a chopped Fiero does it make it hard to see out of?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
On an Archie chop top you have about 4 inches from the top of the window to where the decklid starts to block your view. This is why I raised my spoiler or I would have no rear view at all. It's also why I don't want a decklid vent like the Mustang vent. It would completely block my view.
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Here's a few:

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

On an Archie chop top you have about 4 inches from the top of the window to where the decklid starts to block your view. This is why I raised my spoiler or I would have no rear view at all. It's also why I don't want a decklid vent like the Mustang vent. It would completely block my view.

Good advice I have the spoiler and want to keep it so I might have to raise it then. Thanks 2000 for your pictures. I wish I could get my Nissan door panels back from the shop so I can get my console made and finish up the 355 so I can get started on this

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

I have finally realized my dream !

Who else out there is going for it ?? Next ????

1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
Well... If I went for the chop, I'm about two-thirds of the way there, but I'd much prefer an engine swap and a bunch of body mods. I'm sure eventually I'll go Chester-style, targa chop, because the targa just doesn't look right when it's not chopped.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

I agree 100%. You can also, "split the vent" and have a "room with a view."

88GTFormula

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
I've gotta shed to build then i have somewhere besides the driveway for a few goodies...

Choptop is after the shed, about 1 year away...

Curley, finially got that 'GT' big story behid her, but an exelent donor or a chop/widebody... got a chasis to start all that on when archie gets to do his handy work on maria... shed + fiero = madman

SIG V 'dreams never die'

------------------
:::: proud owner of 'Maria' ::::

'86 Gt, v6, 96k... My FINAL Endevor

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

I agree 100%. You can also, "split the vent" and have a "room with a view."

with my new rear end all I will see is a whale tail. I knew this before hand so this is what I'm going to do. what do you think?

Rectangle Rear View Mirror Monitor with Radar and Camera

As for the chop top dream I'm very close, but then again the dream never ends.

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 02-05-2006).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I'm using the Alpine system that has a aux output. That will allow for a camera to be mounted inside the stock deck lid's key hole opening. I got the idea from Chester's "Dirty Rat." The camera cost about $100 bucks. So it was a easy combo package for me. Although I like your idea too with the built-in radar/screen combo.
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

I'm using the Alpine system that has a aux output. That will allow for a camera to be mounted inside the stock deck lid's key hole opening. I got the idea from Chester's "Dirty Rat." The camera cost about $100 bucks. So it was a easy combo package for me. Although I like your idea too with the built-in radar/screen combo.

Hehehe...

------------------

The Dirty Rat
Chopped, dropped and just plain NASTY! Choptop Targa #1
383 Stroker MPFI with N2O
1" Drop
3" Chop
11" Brakes
19" Motegi Roja's wrapped in BFGoodrich Gforce T/A KDW-2 rubber
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated Jan 21 '04 www.dirtyratracing.org

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:

Hehehe...

Hey, stop lurking and get back to work on that bad-boy chopper! We need to see it at FieroRama.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Bump for all the dreamers out there !

Next ??
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

(May) be people still dream?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-01-2006).]

Gamble

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambleSend a Private Message to GambleDirect Link to This Post
well, without a job at the moment there isnt a whole lot i can do or save.. but a chop top has been on my list since i got the car a few years ago.. but once i get a job and a credit card.. off to archies it goes!!!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
Drooling and Dreaming !

Daytona 2004, back when it was all just wishful thinking.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 05-19-2006).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2006 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Someone else realizing the dream !

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/059991.html
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2006 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Who is headed to Archie's next ??
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Bump,......anybody else on deck ??
cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
Well , since you asked...................

I was SO EXCITED at my 1st fierorama and seeing all those killer looken chopped cars like DRCPU 's car and a few others . Well as soon as I got home that day I basically took a sawzaw and destroyed my car almost to the point of no return . I dont know the 1st thing about chopping a car and should have left it to the professionals at Archies. Curly warned me as did Dave. I called Archie and showed him a few pics of this disaster and he said he is going to have to do some surgery on the car before my car can be chopped . With any luck I should have my car their this weekend if he has the time to get it in. Oh , I forgot . I am also bringing him my sawzaw . I am not worthy of owning one .
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cornersonrails:

I dont know the 1st thing about chopping a car and should have left it to the professionals at Archies. Curly warned me as did Dave. I called Archie and showed him a few pics of this disaster and he said he is going to have to do some surgery on the car before my car can be chopped . With any luck I should have my car their this weekend if he has the time to get it in. Oh , I forgot . I am also bringing him my sawzaw . I am not worthy of owning one .

I was speaking to so many Fiero owners at the CTHC. What is your name? Sorry about the car, my love for choptops can be overwhelming, but at least you're car can be fixed at Archies (I hope).

You got a pic of that infamous "sawall:?

cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
My name is Chris . You might recognize the car before the crime.

1st the weapon

It was Professor Dumb, in the garage with the sawzall.

The victim

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2006 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cornersonrails:

I was SO EXCITED at my 1st fierorama and seeing all those killer looken chopped cars like DRCPU 's car and a few others . Well as soon as I got home that day I basically took a sawzaw and destroyed my car almost to the point of no return . I dont know the 1st thing about chopping a car and should have left it to the professionals at Archies. Curly warned me as did Dave. I called Archie and showed him a few pics of this disaster and he said he is going to have to do some surgery on the car before my car can be chopped . With any luck I should have my car their this weekend if he has the time to get it in. Oh , I forgot . I am also bringing him my sawzaw . I am not worthy of owning one .

Holy crap !?!

And i thought i had choptop fever ! I can understand your desire, but man to start chopping without knowing what you were doing hehehe,...the fever must have slipped you into delirium ?

Hope Archie can get it all worked out. Welcome to the madness.
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2006 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm I choped my top and never had done any thing like choping a top the body work is the part that takes the longest i need to get back working on mine and finish it up
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2006 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Yeah but it sounds like he did not even research it ? I could be wrong ?
GKDINC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2006 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Chris works fast!!! Let's give him some credit.
He's got more nerve than I.
Good Luck.
Gary
Hope everything turns out well.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2006 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Yeah but it sounds like he did not even research it ? I could be wrong ?

He dropped the car off at my shop on Friday. The way I understand it, he searched the Internet for some instructions. He found some instructions, started to follow those instructions. Then he realized he was in trouble when the guy sold the car right after partially completing the chop. Almost like he got rid of it so he didn't have to deal with finishing it right.

Well, Chris's car is at my place now, we have to remove all of the old top & put on & chop a top off of one of my parts cars. Because we are actually taking this car totally down to start over, it has been designated as Chop #24.

I had told Chris that we wouldn't have time to start on it for a week or more, but Rob & Kris decided to start on it Friday afternoon.

All the pictures & updates will be on the What's up at Archie's thread...... We'll let this thread go back on topic with a pic of what Chris's car looked like at 5pm Friday....

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 09-30-2006).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

He dropped the car off at my shop on Friday. The way I understand it, he searched the Internet for some instructions. He found some instructions, started to follow those instructions. Then he realized he was in trouble when the guy sold the car right after partially completing the chop.

Oh my!!!

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Well a Chop is definately in my future. Maybe by this time next year.
Custom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom88Send a Private Message to Custom88Direct Link to This Post
Dang looks like you could've taken that car to F355 to fix in a weekend. Would be a heck of a lot cheaper too. Sorry for your wallet.

[This message has been edited by Custom88 (edited 10-01-2006).]

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
The main Warning is Archie is up to his old tricks again. There was no reason to cut the top of that car like that but to put fear into people. Yes that car could have been fixed by someone that knows what there are doing in one day. It is true not every one is mechanical enough to work on cars. I have been told also that Archie is referring to me and my build thread and selling my car. My thread on chopping a Fiero is very helpful to a lot of people and has helped people chop their own car. Also every one that knows the truth knows I had to sell my Chop Top, my 355 and enclosed car trailer to fix a bad family crisis. Most can relate that everyone has bad things happen and makes them have to sell things to get money fast I can say only Archie would twist this around to make someone’s family problem benefit him and spread lies to make himself look good. Newsflash my car was finished I drove it to the Spring fling to prove it also every one there that saw it and had seen one of Archie’s told me my car looked better. The guy that bought my car drove it home over 200 miles called me when he got home and said the car drove great and he loved it. It is funny that Archie tries to always put other people down and take advantage of others misfortune. I ask how does this make him a good person. Lets face it have you ever seen him give help to anyone all he does is spread lies and disrespect to others to line his pockets. I ask everyone here is this car not finished.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock