Joshua's Home Brew Chop Top !! by exoticse
Started on: 04-27-2005 12:03 AM
Replies: 217
Last post by: Pete Matos on 08-31-2011 06:13 PM
joshua riedl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
I've been hard at it trying to get it done before the car shows. Still a lot of work left but with some luck it'll be off to paint in a couple weeks.
IP: Logged
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2008 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Joshua how is the new choptop coming along ?
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2008 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
pretty miserable actually. I got in over my head with the ground effects and archie and crew are helping out with that. I took my engine down to install into the car and it fell off the forklift and bent the frame. Gas tank and filler tube have leaks. I could go on and on but I would depress us both. When I get the ground effects back I'll need to finish smoothing them out and it'll be off to paint, after I bend the frame back into place of course. Once it's at the painters I'll be able to take a break from it for a while. It's been ruff going but I have a pretty good feeling about the final product.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2008 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
I got my rocker panels back from Archie a while ago and did a little finish work on them and the car is at the painters. I went with Lamborghini orange even though there are already a couple cars on the forum with this paint. The story goes like this, the first painter wanted to go with lambo green, I just wanted something flashy but not red again and there are a couple yellow chops out there with similar body styles and didn't want to copy that much. My ex-girlfriend said orange, so I figured I would look up what lamborghini had for orange, I liked it and bought rims that I thought would look good with that color. It was at this point I realized The perfect union had an interior piece painted this color already. For lack of options, and the fact that outside the forum nobody will know there is another orange chop, I decided to stick with it. I stopped and looked at it yesterday and am excited to see it finished. As it goes now it's another notchback with Archie rockers with the newer style scoop molded in and the bottom sectioned up 1.5 inches in the front to batter match the coupe style bumper, a custom but simple hood scoop and a set of Ruff 930 hyper black rims 19x9.5 for the rear and 18x8.5 for the front. The rear glass and a new windshield are waiting and ready to install along with all new front suspension components to get the front end down so the scoops look right. Still have a couple things to work out with the 3900/4t65ehd swap but I think I have a plan for it all now so it'll be running next spring, I can't wait!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2008 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good.

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
http://img504.imageshack.us...hopwindows002ia1.jpg To try and keep things a little interesting. here is a picture of the 3900. The crossover runs in the way of the A/C so I think I'm going to redo it and run it out the back. It's hard to see but I had to clearance the frame for the oil filter. http://img368.imageshack.us...hopwindows003ow3.jpg another of the engine. I mounted a 3.4TDC altenator and used rodney mounts with fieroaddiction brackets. Both are quality pieces.

[This message has been edited by joshua riedl (edited 11-09-2008).]

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post

joshua riedl

1426 posts
Member since Jan 2004
http://img503.imageshack.us...hopwindows001ho1.jpg Here is a picture of how I modified the fuel rail. The opposite side I just cut out the factory T and looped both rails together. I don't have a picture of it but the front rail has about 1/8 inch tube going to it while the rear rail had a 3/8 tube. Not sure why but it's fixed now. A shot of the window. I still need to adjust the vertical seal to center the glass. Nothing a couple washers won't take care of.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post

joshua riedl

1426 posts
Member since Jan 2004
I was never happy with the roofline on the first car so I spent a lot of time getting this one right. This is the only picture of the driverside of the fuel rail.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
a couple shots of what needed to be removed from the door to clear the windows. I still need to trim the top a little. You can see the plastic washer hits the door frame. Here's a picture of the hood scoop. Nothing too special but I like it. I talked to the painter yesterday and I think he's more excited about the car than I am. I should have some pictures of the car in primer by Friday.
Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post
i should get together with you if i pick up a notchie i want a chopt top so bad im willing to do a homebrewd one or even a convertable hell even a targa top one or all 3 $hit idc this is a good thread keep it going
SLAMMED87GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLAMMED87GTSend a Private Message to SLAMMED87GTDirect Link to This Post
Just be sure to drop that **** hardcore and you will be in business. Great job on the build and I want to see some finished pics!

------------------

'87 GT *Show winning* sold
'98.5 BMW M3 Dakar Dinan
'89 BMW 325I Zinnoberrot

PFF
System Bot
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
I'm really scrounging for pictures now, figured everyone likes headers. It is my first set, they came out alright, and it wasn't too difficult. Foxy Fiero13, I'll encourage anyone to do a chop top, just remember it's a lot of work and there is a reason people charge for this modification. This is my 3rd chop if you count the one I junked and it has still taken 6 months and will be another 6 before it drives under it's own power. The suspension will be lowered soon however. I was happy with the last setup so I'll cut 1 coil in the front along with Rodney Dickmans lowering balljoints and a half coil from the rear. New pictures will be comming.
Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshua riedl:

This is my 3rd chop if you count the one I junked

junked as in junkyard or started over???
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
Junkyard. It was too rusted out so I started over.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
I didn't get too many pictures. I have one more of the hood in primer but for some reason it won't post. It'll probably be a couple more weeks until it's finished. I might go get tires for the rims while I wait.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
Last one. I'm not sure why there was such a problem hosting it.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
This car just refuses to play nice. The paint was mixed with an old ingredient and has white sand in it. PPG stood by it and supplied a new gallon though. Only a few parts were painted so no big deal everything is back on track now. these will be repainted.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

any updates ?
fieroboom

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post
Man, I just caught up on this, and Murphy's Law is loving you big time... I hate to hear all that stuff, but it sounds like some crap I've been through before. Keep that chin up man, it's gonna look awesome!

Oh, and give us some pics/updates!

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com >>> Build Thread >>> Parts thread (for project funding)

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
Nothing new really. The painter took on some helmet paint jobs for christmas presents so I got pushed aside for a little bit. I don't mind though. Airbrushing is his bread and butter. I got my ratchet shifter in but need the car back before I can modify that. I'll still be driving it next spring, it's just slowed up for now. That's life with chop top projects I guess.
PFF
System Bot
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2008 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
The painter is back on my car. Says he'll be shooting orange all weekend and do a test panel with some airbrushing artwork. My body modifications are pretty tame for this place so a little airbrushing might be needed to keep up with the rest of the chops. Here is a picture of the underside of the hood. He did a better job than expected smoothing out the scoop. And a picture of the side scoop all smoothed out and ready for paint.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2009 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2009 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
That is one of my favorite colors. Looking good!
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
A couple more pictures. Still needs wet sanding but it's getting close now.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
No new pictures except cell phone pics but the car is home. I picked up the rims and tires saturday which was another fiasco only this car could give me. I suppose it's fairly typical, I sat and, as politely as I could, argued with the lady about the size of tires I wanted. She kept giving me grief about them not fitting, I told her to let me worry about that and people put 20's on Fiero's. It got to the point she said she couldn't help me so I stood up and said something to the effect of "if you can't get 19'' tires?" which went back to the won't fit deal. Anyway, after 30 minutes of debating she pulls out the list of sizes and there was only a few choices anyway. So the front is 215/35/18 on a 8.5'' rim. The rim is too wide so I got the smallest tire they could stretch on there. The rear is a 275/30/19 on a 9.5'' wide rim. I was going to tough out the cold today and do some assembly and lower the front suspension to see where it sits but decided against it. If anyone wants a cell phone pic, let me know.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
It has a flat tire and the front needs to be lower yet so you'll have to use your imagination
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
What kind of rims are those?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

What kind of rims are those?

what he said.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
Ruff 930's.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2009 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
A little more progress was made. I lowered the front one coil and rodney's lowering balljoints. Looks like it needs a little more. everything is mounted accept the rockers due to engine work is still needed. I replaced all the marker lights and taillights and polished the rear lenses. One has a crack but it'll do for now. The curse is still here though. The windshield doesn't fit. I bought some masking tape so I can do some sanding and grinding to open it up some. The steering rack is making a crunching noise. I already bought the brass bushing but I think I'll probably just get a rebuilt unit and be done with it, and I still need front bushings. If I order all the parts I should be able to do bushings, steering rack and cut a little more spring in one day. I still have a lot to spend to actually get it running so the interior will be put off for a while.
PFF
System Bot
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post

The new owner is going for a different look. This paint makes my car look tame!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshua riedl:

The new owner is going for a different look. This paint makes my car look tame!

are you talking about the original red one ?? Or the second orange one ??
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
The red one.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Nice. I like how you re-tweaked the rockers.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

------------------

"I drive modified Fieros- anything less would be uncivilized."

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Nice flames;

IMO the silver wheels you've picked compliments the orange paint;

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-11-2009).]

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Madcurl, I am taking a week off of work to get the car running. I got a wakeup call when Fieromadman told me opening day at Greatlakes Dragaway is april 1st. If everything works out there will be a 5speed/3400 and 4t65e/3900 added to the quarter mile list.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2009 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Josh any new update pictures of your new orange one ?

What about the green one (your old red one) ?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2009 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Did you get your mechanical bugs worked out ?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock