Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  fieroX is finally getting color, after 7 years of being a disaster (Page 6)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
fieroX is finally getting color, after 7 years of being a disaster by fieroX
Started on: 09-25-2009 06:57 PM
Replies: 217
Last post by: fierochaser on 07-07-2010 10:30 AM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
So, been back to the track yet?

You dont have much time left to put up a 9....

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 03-18-2010).]

IP: Logged
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Didn't he say spring? Its still winter... Anywho, how much does your car weigh? And what would you guesstimate a street fiero weighing 2800 pounds with driver and 300 whp would run..?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

Didn't he say spring? Its still winter... Anywho, how much does your car weigh? And what would you guesstimate a street fiero weighing 2800 pounds with driver and 300 whp would run..?

low 12s high 11s.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Good enough for me, should be a real fun little ripper.
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

...but I just ordered some Dietmar door panels...

Dietmar door panels...whaaaat? These I've got to see.
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Havent been out to the track because it doesnt open for another 3 weeks or so. They are calling for 5-8" of snow tomorrow, so yeah, I dont have my chain tires for X yet. Also I am having a custom set of axles built by G-Force1320. Might take a little bit to get them back.
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by 1986 Fiero GT:

Dietmar door panels...whaaaat? These I've got to see.

Yeah, they are pretty cool. Took a long ass time to get them in the mail but they are going to look really cool. Havent had a chance to paint them yet, but they look good sitting in the parts room at my shop. haha.
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post

Havent been out to the track because it doesnt open for another 3 weeks or so. They are calling for 5-8" of snow tomorrow, so yeah, I dont have my chain tires for X yet. Also I am having a custom set of axles built by G-Force1320. Might take a little bit to get them back.

Yeah this weather is so crappy. Today in joplin it was 70, supposed to be 70 tomorrow then snow saturday and sunday
AJ7

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silentassassin185:

Yeah this weather is so crappy. Today in joplin it was 70, supposed to be 70 tomorrow then snow saturday and sunday
got up to like 76 here today, and tomorrow the high is mid 30s and snow. it is 50 degrees right now... buuut its supposed to be warm again monday

HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post

Possibly a nubby question but what is that black thing with the X on it that's connected to your intake? Is it a plenum? If so that's a weird looking plenum.

[This message has been edited by HausFiero (edited 06-04-2010).]

HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have an answer to my question?
PFF
System Bot
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HausFiero:

Anyone have an answer to my question?

It is the plenum. It is not what you are used to seeing because the intake runners are almost non existant. That type of intake manifold is made for lots of high rpm air flow which fits the big turbo perfectly.
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Oh ok thanks. Yeah that's very odd
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:
That type of intake manifold is made for lots of high rpm air flow which fits the big turbo perfectly.

Its proven to hurt power, by a fairly large amount. Its a "non runner" type intake, its just a giant open area.

Guys that swap to the proper equal length medium runner intake, pickup 20+whp at the same boost levels. With a revised version of the medium length runner intake to a long runner holden intake, zzp was able to pickup 38whp in their race car over this style intake manifold.

I took my turbo GTP over to zzp last summer and changed intakes around on the dyno, and generated this. fierox is using the "m90 with blockoff plate" style intake right now.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 06-04-2010).]

HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
that's pretty interesting.

Are those headlights a kit / where do you get them?
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Its proven to hurt power, by a fairly large amount. Its a "non runner" type intake, its just a giant open area.

Guys that swap to the proper equal length medium runner intake, pickup 20+whp at the same boost levels. With a revised version of the medium length runner intake to a long runner holden intake, zzp was able to pickup 38whp in their race car over this style intake manifold.

I took my turbo GTP over to zzp last summer and changed intakes around on the dyno, and generated this. fierox is using the "m90 with blockoff plate" style intake right now.

It all depends on the engine, turbo, exhaust etc. Unless you have an identical setup to FieroX's, there is no guarenty that such an intake would net more hps on his setup.

The general rule is that shorter runners = higher rpm power. But, in this case, it is paired up with a pushrod engine that was originally designed to make low to mid range power. So it makes sense that medium length runners might be better. Also, FieroX's plenum looks small for the engine displacement and the size of the turbo pushing air into it. His engine may benefit more from having a larger plenum than having longer runners. A general rule of thumb is that the plenum should be at least as big as the engine displacement. With a small plenum, the air may be travelling too fast through the plenum. High velocity = lower pressure. You want higher pressure at the valves pushing air into the cylinders. Also, high velocity means that it does not change direction well and may be causing inefficiency at higher rpms. With a larger plenum, the air will slow down after the throttle body which will allow it to turn 90 degrees and enter the cylinders easier.

With the medium length runners, the total volumn of air after the throttle body is larger. So the air inside the intake manifold is not as turbulent and can move at a lower velocity through the plenum. It would not surprise me if increasing the plenum volumn increase hp the exact same amount or more than increasing the runner length.

All of this is just my ametuer analysis and opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
Myturbogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MyturbogtSend a Private Message to MyturbogtDirect Link to This Post
FieroX do you have a roll bar to run in the 10s? If not why? I ran a 11.42 and my track wont let me run any more. (need roll bar).

[This message has been edited by Myturbogt (edited 07-07-2010).]

fierochaser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierochaserSend a Private Message to fierochaserDirect Link to This Post
i love the color combo
very nice
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock