Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  fieroX is finally getting color, after 7 years of being a disaster (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
fieroX is finally getting color, after 7 years of being a disaster by fieroX
Started on: 09-25-2009 06:57 PM
Replies: 217
Last post by: fierochaser on 07-07-2010 10:30 AM
Fiero-117A

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2009 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-117ASend a Private Message to Fiero-117ADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFiend:

One more quick question what kinda rubber are you using to launch thatr thing FieroX?

Those tires are ET STREETS 26x10.50 on 15inch Fiero GT wheels!!!

good job ryan! it was crazy watching you catch me in my rearview mirror... and that is one wicked picture or your car pulling the tires off the ground!!! 1.4 60fts are hard to get... cant wait to see wat she does at the BUICK vs FORD this weekend. BTW tell that blonde girl she did good work on that paint job!!!
IP: Logged
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2009 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero-117A:

Those tires are ET STREETS 26x10.50 on 15inch Fiero GT wheels!!!

good job ryan! it was crazy watching you catch me in my rearview mirror... and that is one wicked picture or your car pulling the tires off the ground!!! 1.4 60fts are hard to get... cant wait to see wat she does at the BUICK vs FORD this weekend. BTW tell that blonde girl she did good work on that paint job!!!

You can tell her man. We all live on the same house. Haha.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2009 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Found out some interesting facts about my 10.30 pass. We scanned that pass and reviewed everything today. I will break it down moment by moment. My launch was at 3500 rpm. It made boost instantly after leaving the line and was fully spooled (24 psi) at 5800, with a drop of about 1 psi by the end of the pass. I ran a 1.45 60' on that pass, and I was in 2nd gear at 44 mph and 6207 rpm. It dropped back down to only 6000 rpms in 2nd gear and pulled its way to the 2-3 shift. I passed 60 mph at the 2.3 second mark (eat that Bugatti Veyron). At 75 mph it shifted into 3rd, but I got a little tire spin and it actually slowed down 1 mph. My rpm's spiked to 6600, but tires caught and it jumped to 78 mph in the next frame. At that point my rpm was back down to 6000 (78 mph) and it pulled to 132 mph at the finish to only 6300 rpm. Thats right it accelerated 55 mph through 3rd gear, and only increased engine rpm by 300. This is because we have found that my torque converter is too loose. Probably why it pulled a 1.45 60'. I think with a tighter converter, I may give up .1 on the 60, but could pick up a half a second in the quarter. All this took place in 10.3 seconds. What a wild ride. Just thought I would share.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2009 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
You can scan and should have been scanning input shaft speed. I would suspect a slipping clutchpack over a loose converter, as you would see it in other gears as well.

What converter are you running?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2009 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
BTW, the quarter mile list has been updated.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2009 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations and good job Ryan! I look forward to seeing your car in the mag. giving the Fiero a good name. I also am looking forward to you achieving 9s.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

You can scan and should have been scanning input shaft speed. I would suspect a slipping clutchpack over a loose converter, as you would see it in other gears as well.

What converter are you running?

Yeah, im not thinking slipping clutch pack. hahaha. not with the tranny i have. if it slipped that long, it would be history by now. You dont run 10.30 with a slipping transmission. I have the zzp 2750. I will be making a visit to Neal Chance soon, and have a real converter built for it.

[This message has been edited by fieroX (edited 10-14-2009).]

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by R Runner:

Congratulations and good job Ryan! I look forward to seeing your car in the mag. giving the Fiero a good name. I also am looking forward to you achieving 9s.

Thanks Paul!

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001
oops

[This message has been edited by fieroX (edited 10-14-2009).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Congrat's on the nice run!

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

Yeah, im not thinking slipping clutch pack. hahaha. not with the tranny i have. if it slipped that long, it would be history by now. You dont run 10.30 with a slipping transmission. I have the zzp 2750. I will be making a visit to Neal Chance soon, and have a real converter built for it.

The zzp converter is very good for this application... I would be very skeptical of that being the imediate issue. Check input shaft vs RPM ratio before you start throwing converters around.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
A very, very sweet run.

------------------

"I drive modified Fieros- anything less would be uncivilized."

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Any pics of the interior?
mrjohnishome

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrjohnishomeSend a Private Message to mrjohnishomeDirect Link to This Post
How about some pictures of those wheels, I have the same ones. I had mine painted black as well, and would like to see what you did with the center caps.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

A very, very sweet run.

Thanks Curly. You going to sema this year? We will be there with a large crew this year. Let me know.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Any pics of the interior?

None yet, its still in the progress phase. I have mr mikes seats and a custom console, but I just ordered some Dietmar door panels, and I am building a custom dash that will be pretty wicked.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by mrjohnishome:

How about some pictures of those wheels, I have the same ones. I had mine painted black as well, and would like to see what you did with the center caps.

Mine are powdercoated lava black which is a 30% gloss. The center caps are just painted black and clearcoated with a semi gloss clear.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2009 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
All that paint, body work, interior stuff is going to add weight and slow you down :P haha

all joking aside, nice looking car and congrats on the times!
Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
Nice run. I bet a lot of people didn't recognize the car until you took off down the track.

When are you guys heading down to Noble?
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Not going to Noble now Adam. The failboat captain abandoned ship this morning. And by captain I mean my transmission. And by ship I mean car.

BTW Darkhorizon, I pulled my clutch packs apart. They are flawless. Its my converter. We are taking it to Neal Chance on Tuesday. They are going to modify it for me. X is going to be down for awhile. Not sure if I will have it out again this year.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Not going to Noble now Adam. The failboat captain abandoned ship this morning. And by captain I mean my transmission. And by ship I mean car.

BTW Darkhorizon, I pulled my clutch packs apart. They are flawless. Its my converter. We are taking it to Neal Chance on Tuesday. They are going to modify it for me. X is going to be down for awhile. Not sure if I will have it out again this year.

And we are going to have to go with the 1" chain now. I just hope I dont run out of mph with the 3.29 gears.

How does Matt M do it?
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Any explaination as to what happened? Was that a 1inch chain or just a 7/8? Was it rubbing on the case?

If it was just the chain that broke, why take apart the entire trans instead of just swapping the chain?
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
that was a 15/16" chain. I started taking it apart because if you notice in the last pic, there is a huge crack in the case.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Well there goes my plans for tomorrow.---Time to spend more money and make it faster.

Listen to DH and you will learn--LOL

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about your luck but no one can say you don't run your cars all out. Hope you get it back together soon.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
If it was just the chain that broke, why take apart the entire trans instead of just swapping the chain?

Because he is not junkyard like you. X wants to make sure what else failed like he did and should be done. By the Way "X" great job. Rick B

Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I'm buying you a new transmission for Christmas!
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Well there goes my plans for tomorrow.---Time to spend more money and make it faster.

mine too! thanks for the call giving me a heads up. Good Luck in getting her fixed back up.

Quick Question... why do you have to run the 3.29 gears with the 1" chain?
lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Better start selling some turbo 3800 fiero kits to help pay for that new tranny!

When those chains go when does it happen? on launch or during up shifts? When it does go does it destroy anything else in the tranny?

NICE RUN TOO BYTHE WAY!!!!

------------------
Fiero w/ 1998 Supercharged 3.8 V-6 Intercooled
Best ET: 12.20@ 114.90 mph (street tires)
11.74@115 mph (drag radials)

"NO Juice....Just BOOST!"

[This message has been edited by lildevil (edited 10-16-2009).]

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post

Ouch! That sucks man. Did that happen at the track? Did the chain cause all that damage?
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
looks like you need to run a manual
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Curly. You going to sema this year? We will be there with a large crew this year. Let me know.

Yes. I hope to be there this year. No crowd this year. It seems everybody is either too busy working or their girlfriends won't let them come.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-17-2009).]

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

When those chains go when does it happen? on launch or during up shifts? When it does go does it destroy anything else in the tranny?

NICE RUN TOO BYTHE WAY!!!!

I broke a chain a few years back at about 75 mph at full throttle. The next one broke on the dyno at 119 mph. This one broke at about 45 mph in 2nd gear at half throttle and maybe, MAYBE 8 psi of boost.

This is the first time its done irreparable damage. Ive broken channel plates before, ive torn up the chain oiling scoops and the reluctor wheels. Ive torn up thrust washers, but ive never broken a case.

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

Quick Question... why do you have to run the 3.29 gears with the 1" chain?

The GM Racing 1" chain only comes with 35/35 sprockets. I would love to have a set in 37/33, but I guess if im going to have my torque converter tightened up 3.29's will be fine. If I can get my converter to lock in 3rd I will be good till 148 mph.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

Ouch! That sucks man. Did that happen at the track? Did the chain cause all that damage?

No it happened driving back to my shop from quiktrip. I just went to get a drink and a turbo beetle pulled up next to me and started to do a flyby, about 1/2 mile from my shop. I literally hit the throttle about 50%, started making boost and about 1 second later BANG! luckily I was going fast enough at that point to coast all the way back to my shop. I left a lovely trail of tranny fluid all the way back into my parking lot. Funny part is, I was pulling away from the beetle coasting with the broke tranny. hahaha. Wonder what went through his mind when he heard the bang. hahaha. oh well. All in the name of going fast I guess.

Originally posted by madcurl:

Yes. I hope to be there this year. No crowd this year. It seems everybody is either too busy working or their girlfriends won't let them come.

Cool. Keep your eyes open for me. We will be there from Tuesday till Saturday. Celebrating my 30th b-day on Friday night. If your in town you should come hang out with us.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
It's okay X. I bet you'll have it back together sooner than you think. BTW.... did you install your new "bars" on the beast? If so, what do you think?
FutureCustomFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FutureCustomFieroSend a Private Message to FutureCustomFieroDirect Link to This Post

And we are going to have to go with the 1" chain now. I just hope I dont run out of mph with the 3.29 gears.

How does Matt M do it?

Who is Matt M? I have a friend of mine that has the world record 1/4 mile for street leagal Stealth/3000gt. Just wondering if you were talking about him?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
The general consensus is that the 15/16 chain is weaker than the stock chains. The 7/8 chain is suppose to be a bit stronger than the stock chains, and the 1inch is unbreakable. Only 1 place sells the 15/16 chains, and it the reason that zzp/triple edge do not sell them are due to the reasons listed above.

Zoomer lost his ass pretty bad on the 15/16 chains awhile back, and has posts on cgp explaining the reasoning.

A 7/8 chain will stretch before it breaks, and this at least gives you a floppy grindy noise in the trans as a warning sign before it goes fully.

Matt has big tires, and he spins the motor to big rpms, like 6800+ to get through the traps in 3rd.

6900rpms in 3rd with stock fiero sized 225/50/16's is 155mph with 3.29 gear ratio. Go with a bigger tire, and you can easily get down the track with rpms to spare.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 10-17-2009).]

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Well I am running 26x10.5x15's on there now. Thats about as big as I can get with the stickiest tire I can find. We have found that my converter was slipping 26% at the bottom of 3rd gear. We are going with the 1" chain in 3.29 but are having my converter reworked so It will be tighter in the upper rpms. It will launch about the same beings the lower ratio and tighter converter.

My ZZP 2750 stall, actually flashed at 5800 rpm at the launch on my 10.30 pass. Hmmm.

Neal Chance says they can make me a custom carbon lockup clutch that will survive lockup at WOT. The dyno operator told me if I could get my converter to lockup in 3rd I would make 100 more wheel hp. (hence the 26% slip, actually I may make more power than 100). So wheres my next stop? 9.50?

While the cars down im getting the stage 3 race turbo cam, possibly up my compression ratio, the new converter and the 1" chain. Next spring this will be a mid 9 second car.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by R Runner:

It's okay X. I bet you'll have it back together sooner than you think. BTW.... did you install your new "bars" on the beast? If so, what do you think?

Paul, havent put them on yet. Not sure if I am going to use them on X or not. Problem is with my new fuel system, it sloshes pretty bad under hard braking and hard turning and I can hear the fuel pump whine. I may just keep X the drag car and build another car to become a road race machine. Im thinking turbo Ecotec
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
New guy here....... X man, that is one serious fiero ya got there. I am newly into fieros and already I am hooked. I just bought a 3800scII for it and right now you are my hero man!!! Forget about that damn firebird, keep wrenching on that badass fiero of yours and realize the dream of 9 second timeslips. I for one am rooting for you. If you are gonna build another car that ecotec fiero autocrosser sounds real cool too.... What was your supercharger setup on that car and how fast were you able to run it? Again nice work and you have a fan following..... got any tee shirts? peace

Pete
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock