Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  fieroX is finally getting color, after 7 years of being a disaster (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
fieroX is finally getting color, after 7 years of being a disaster by fieroX
Started on: 09-25-2009 06:57 PM
Replies: 217
Last post by: fierochaser on 07-07-2010 10:30 AM
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
And shouldn't this be in the construction zone and not general chat? Just want this to get the attention it deserves.
IP: Logged
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Earlier in the thread you stated it had a feel like velvet to the touch. My question is how would the textured surface be with dirt and such? Would it be harder to clean off the grime from the strip off of it?

I really like the paint scheme. Can't wait to see the whole car once it's done.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 10-01-2009).]

Samohtneas

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post
Wow... can you paint my car!?

Looking fantastic.. I might have to ask you some questions later.
Bubbajuju

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

The satin finish on this color scheme is absolutely perfect. Way to go!!!! Super good looking job on a super quick Fiero. Hat's off FieroX!!!! You do us proud.
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
I remember when you were laying out a paint scheme all the way back at wheatstock! It's good to see that it's finally getting some color .

------------------

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
newest pics. going to the dyno tomorrow to get tuned for E85. Should be interesting.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
justinchristie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieDirect Link to This Post

I knew it!

That paint job makes the 355 nose look better. I may have to implement that on my car.

Awesome car, and an awesome paint job!

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 3.4L | The Fiero Blog (Since April 2000)
-----------------------------------------------------------
My Portfolio site | JustinChristie.ca

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

going to the dyno tomorrow to get tuned for E85. Should be interesting.

Results???
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Results???

Yeah! I'm looking forward to these numbers. But I'm looking forward to 1/4 mile times even more.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T.- 11.775 Best MPH-120.65
gmtuners.com -Build info

kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post
Ha ha ha! Your car looks happy to be back together......just look at the smile it has and it's eyes are wide open and ready to go. If it could talk it'd say....."turn me loose, tuuuurrrrnnnn meeeeeee loose".

PFF
System Bot
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
548 whp 526 wtq. Video coming soon.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

We are expecting somewhere in the range of 530-550 wheel hp.

Good Estimates! Good numbers too btw. I don't know if that's really going to be enough for 9s, but heres to lower 10s!
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Looks great! Looks fast too.

The Only thing like i dislike is those head-lights. Not a fan of little round lights sticking up like that, but to each their own!
Christine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post

newest pics. going to the dyno tomorrow to get tuned for E85. Should be interesting.

I love the paint, it makes me want to paint my car again.

I also like that the guy on the right in the first picture has on a shirt that matches the paint on your car.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Congrats! Those are some very nice numbers. What cam and boost levels are you running now?

I hope you manage some good traction. If you do, you will have no problem smoking your old pb's.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T.- 11.775 Best MPH-120.65
gmtuners.com -Build info

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking car you have there. It must feel good to have the looks to backup the performance.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Pretty average numbers, would like to see what you can do on race gas. I would have not stopped tweaking till I hit something in the 600 range, but it may be that I just dont like E85, and or your turbo was holding everything back.

I dont smell 9's but if you can get out, you should beat your 10 by a decent margin.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 10-04-2009).]

InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Pretty average numbers, would like to see what you can do on race gas. I would have not stopped tweaking till I hit something in the 600 range, but it may be that I just dont like E85, and your turbo was holding everything back.

I dont smell 9's but if you can get out, you should beat your 10 by a decent margin.

All bow, the 3800 authority has spoken.

Nice ride X.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Christine:

I also like that the guy on the right in the first picture has on a shirt that matches the paint on your car.

thats Rare87GT. Thats his red Formula on the lift behind my car. It made 312 and 332 torque yesterday also.

So when my car ran 10.77 I had a 30 mph headwind, and now I have 105 whp more than before. This car will go high 9's.

The new turbo is amazing. They loaded the dyno to 3500 lbs because It spooled so fast and the pull went so fast. We have really good video of the pulls. We'll get something together and up whenever my roommate has a chance.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

but it may be that I just dont like E85, and or your turbo was holding everything back.

First off we made 502 hp and 500 torque with the exact same boost and exact same timing that I made 443 hp and 419 torque. All I did was tweak my mini afc 2.0 to allow for my 120lb injectors. (but still ran 10.6:1 afr) So explain that? Dont use E85 though, it sucks overall. I mean its only 1/4 the price and Im making tons more power. But please keep using race gas.

And how is my turbo holding everything back? I have a Bullseye power S362 now. Compare that to a junkyard holset. hahaha. Compare a Maserati to a Kia Rio.

BTW just for comparison sakes. My old setup vs my new one. And how I made 105 more wheel hp with only 5 more lbs of boost.

Old setup

stainless log manifolds
master power T66 turbo (19 psi boost)
65 lb injectors
104 octane race gas
Walbro 255 in tank
stock fuel lines, 3/8" (-6an) fuel rails
38mm tial wastegate

New Setup

ZZP stainless headers
Bullseye Power S362 < (actually 4mm smaller) (24 psi)
120 lb injectors
E85
Fuelab 41401 external
1/2" fuel lines, and fuel rails, complete -8an setup
46mm China wastegate

im still using the same intercooler setup, but have about 4 less feet of piping now with the intercooler in the new location. I also have 5 less 90 degree bends in the system. I am using the same blow off valve.

[This message has been edited by fieroX (edited 10-04-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Well, it was your turbo holding you back just like I said. I knew you had a borg, but was unsure what size you ended up with. And that is why i said it was "average" type numbers, as anyone nowadays is putting on 80+lb/m turbos

Its only a 65-68lb/m turbo at 24psi... My junkyard 351ve holset is a 60mm and flows between 60 and 63 at 18psi... So I would say it is unfair to call it a "peice of junk" compared to yours. I would say that a true T66 garrett would outflow and out power the borg you have, as it its a pretty well proven 70-72lb/m turbo at 24psi.

Its not easy to make 550+whp on a sub 70lb/m turbo... it took the impala a 72-75lb/m to get 600wheel on race gas... so I would say your results were VERY respectable for what that turbo can do, and the E85 seemed to help with the effort. There is some good synergy between your compression ratio and the characteristics of that turbo, and the end result I would say is very good.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Do you run an air filter on your setup?
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Dark, my turbo isnt holding anything back at all. You need to do some research. The S362 will flow enough air to make 650 wheel hp. My cam is my restriction now, being its the cam ive had forever and a day. A regrind Erson. just a stock 3800 cam with the base circle reground and .100 longer pushrods. I still have stock rocker arms too. Its only a .512/.512 lift also.

Yes I will run an air filter, it will be in tomorrow I just didnt get it in time for the dyno. I will have it on once I get it though.
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post

Good luck on your 1/4 run. Can't wait to see the dyno vid and the future track vid.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Can we stop the bickering?

All in all- your setup is making me drool, X. Looks a whole lot better than my ride, as well. I would love to say "I hate you" for it but I just can't.

Much love. And good luck with your run.

------------------
--==--=-=--==--
Notchback GT

ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Awesome. Too bad you aren't closer, I'd like to run my new ZX-10R against it. It only has a measly 160-170whp though.
Cars that can almost hang with, hang with, or beat literbikes are bad-arse. Mine will do 0-180 in 17 seconds though, so I dunno.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

The S362 will flow enough air to make 650 wheel hp.

On a dsm or a honda..... with different drive loss.... I would believe that.

The research is not "how much some guy on the phone" told me I would make, but its fairly mathematical, with a bit of comparison shopping. The simple fact is, the s362 is SMALLER in every way possible than a T66/T67, which has made more power than you have in a few situations. The turbo will not flow 650whp on a 3800/65e, If someone was to prove me wrong on that... it is going to take some magic in the head and trans department.

Now if you did YOUR research, you would understand that your cam is not restricting anything, and it is the head that is the issue. Every one of the big turbo cams are VERY low in the lift department, with only moderate LSA and durations over stock. They are also fairly symmetrical cams. Just for an example...

The Stage 1X Turbocharged Cam is ideal for use with stock cylinder heads,

Stage 1X Turbo Cam, duration @ .050": 211º/204º, lobe lifts: .323"/.320", valve lifts with 1.60:1 rocker arms: .516"/.513", lobe separation angle: 116º, intake centerline: 110º

Fairly identical to yours if you ask me. I dont remember how extreme your heads were.. did you ever flowbench them? Or are they stock?
CheshireGrin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CheshireGrinSend a Private Message to CheshireGrinDirect Link to This Post
I really like that hood... is it one off? If not please link
Ryan
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

The research is not "how much some guy on the phone" told me I would make

Well I am a manufacturer direct dealer for Bullseye turbos, so its not like I "called" someone to make my decisions. I have all the flow maps and info you cant get on the website. Im not out to make 650 whp though. I set a goal and I achieved it. Look at my prediction vs my reality. This setup will get me into the 9's which is my ultimate goal with this car. Once I get 9's, I am going to turn it down to make it more reliable, and keep it as a show car. Next project is a turbocharged pontiac 400 in my 1973 firebird formula.

[b]
The simple fact is, the s362 is SMALLER in every way possible than a T66/T67, which has made more power than you have in a few situations.

actually it isnt. The s362 has an extended tip compressor and 7 bladed compressor design, which nets 79% peak efficiency on the island. The T66 is only 75% and the 6 bladed compressor is inferior in comparison. Bullseye turbos have been killing the numbers of comparable GT ball bearing Garrett turbos.

[b]
Stage 1X Turbo Cam, duration @ .050": 211º/204º, lobe lifts: .323"/.320", valve lifts with 1.60:1 rocker arms: .516"/.513", lobe separation angle: 116º, intake centerline: 110º

Fairly identical to yours if you ask me. I dont remember how extreme your heads were.. did you ever flowbench them? Or are they stock?

My heads are way more than stock. They were never flowbenched, but they have been extensively ported. I think a stage 2 turbo cam would work well on my setup and make quite a bit more power, but I might never find out unless something happens to this engine.

[This message has been edited by fieroX (edited 10-05-2009).]

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by CheshireGrin:

I really like that hood... is it one off? If not please link
Ryan

It is fully custom. The headlights are an aftermarket piece for rx7's. The hood vents are from a 40th anniversary GTP. I can build you one, but its going to be very costly . I have a lot of labor wrapped up in this thing. Glad you like it though!
PFF
System Bot
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
wow... uhhh.. wow. very nice set up. what are you using for a trans? this thing looks pretty beast.

p.s. now i know where im going to fit my turbo once i go twin charged

[This message has been edited by IVANNATINKLE (edited 10-06-2009).]

lpe427tt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2009 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lpe427ttSend a Private Message to lpe427ttDirect Link to This Post
I may seem like an r-tard for asking this but why is e85 junk?

------------------
1985 Pontiac Fiero SE 3.4 4-Speed(Project Car)
1985 Pontiac Fiero SE 2.8 5-Speed(Daily)
1985 Pontiac Fiero GT 3.8 SC Auto(Track)
1988 Toyota Celica GT 2.0 Auto

FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2009 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
Its not junk its just different, anyone calling it junk is more or less an idiot.
1986 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2009 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

It is fully custom. The headlights are an aftermarket piece for rx7's. The hood vents are from a 40th anniversary GTP. I can build you one, but its going to be very costly . I have a lot of labor wrapped up in this thing. Glad you like it though!

In all seriousness though...got any detail pics? Like with the hood up, and more detail on the headlights? I'd love to do something similar. Looks sick.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2009 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
car looks great can you tell me what it takes to go to e-85 othere than change the rubber hoses

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-07-2009).]

lpe427tt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2009 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lpe427ttSend a Private Message to lpe427ttDirect Link to This Post
I agree I love the E85 i guess I misunderstood his posting about it.

------------------
1985 Pontiac Fiero SE 3.4 4-Speed(Project Car)
1985 Pontiac Fiero SE 2.8 5-Speed(Daily)
1985 Pontiac Fiero GT 3.8 SC Auto(Track)
1988 Toyota Celica GT 2.0 Auto

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2009 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kyunderdawg:

Nice job with the two tone.
I like how you solved the door panel being lower than the fenders by choosing that height for your paint line.

Fiero2m8

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2009 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IVANNATINKLE:

wow... uhhh.. wow. very nice set up. what are you using for a trans? this thing looks pretty beast.

p.s. now i know where im going to fit my turbo once i go twin charged

Its got a 4t65eHD. It has about the best of everything. I am having problems breaking the 7/8" chains though. Next step is to go 1", but damn its expensive.

Also I just changed my gear ratio back to 2.93. I think Im going to run out of mph in the 1/4. The area under the curve is plain massive. This car will go 9's this saturday (assuming it doesnt snow, and the new chain holds).
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2009 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

This car will go 9's this saturday (assuming it doesnt snow, and the new chain holds).

Here's hoping! It would be neat to see that time slip!

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-08-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock