Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  ~~ Computerizing The Fiero ~~ by Mister ~~ (Laptop & Touch Screen) (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
~~ Computerizing The Fiero ~~ by Mister ~~ (Laptop & Touch Screen) by Mister
Started on: 02-21-2008 04:14 PM
Replies: 147
Last post by: Australian on 09-13-2010 06:46 AM
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Page II - Wooo Hoooo Thanks for all the great info guys.

Originally posted by Austrian Import:
Mister, no worries about the 2.5" laptop harddrive. They're made for this kind of abuse. IIRC 15g's off, and 5g's on. Some laptops have shock sensing and will park the heads if they detect shock.

I hope it will
As motioned above, Thinkpad has it's "Active protection system" however it was WAY too sensitive for Carputer application and I had to disable it.

I remember reading about life expectancy on mp3car.com: The general consensus was that 3.5" desktop drives have about 1 year shelf life in a car, and laptop harddrives are indestructible. People tried both horizontal and vertical mounting, and neither really makes a difference. I doubt that your method, which is at a slight angle off vertical, is much different. Harddrives are usuallly safest inside the laptop.

Thanks for the idea, I've also found some very helpful and informative info there
With the risk of boring some people, I think it's a great (simplified) read on HDD:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbull...ehicle-computer.html

Originally posted by RocketSled - on /www.mp3car.com:
"I make hard drives for a living. Have been in this business for 20 years. Here is some info you can take as fact...

HDD operation is heavily influenced by temperature. Bearings, both in the spindle motor (either BB or FDB) and in the rotary actuator (BB) rely on lubricants. The lubricant's viscosity, like any lubricant, changes with temperature. Thicker when cold, thinner when hot. Colder temperatures are more problematic, since the increased viscosity significantly "stiffens" the bearing, resultant drag is high and motors may not be able to achieve their minimum operating speeds. But high temperatures can cause the lubricants to fail, with obvious consequences.

In addition, mechanical dimensions of the entire HDD assembly will change as a function of temperature (the HDD components are primarily comprised of Aluminum and Stainless, which have different coefficients of thermal expansion. This usually isn't so much of a problem, since the mechanical tolerances allow for this, but it can result in reduced performance. And significant temperature excursions can cause glue bonds (bearing cartriges are usually glued together) to fail and/or result in brunelled bearing races.

The recording heads are also affected by temperature. The critical parameter is something called "Fly Height", the distance above the surface of the disk at which the "Slider" rides on it's "Air Bearing". Too high (usually colder) can cause write and read errors. Too low (usually, hotter) can result in contact between the Slider and platter, permanently damaging the HDD.

The disk surface itself is coated in a fine layer of lubricant. It's designed to provide some protection if the recording head (Slider) contacts the disk surface. Temperature effects this lubricant like any other. In particular, at very high temperatures the lube can "spin off" the disk, reducing the effectiveness of the protecting layer.

The magnetics and electronics all behave differently as a function of temperature. Usually, the HDD is designed to compensate for the effects. But operating the HDD outside it's temperature limits can exceed the range of compensation, typically leading to read and write errors.

As a general rule, higher temperatures are worse in terms of HDD longevity but the HDD should generally work OK up until the point when something breaks. At cold temperatures the HDD may not work at all, but it is unlikely that attempting to get it going will do it any harm, it just won't work.

Mechanical shock and vibration are the enemies of HDD reliability.

The recording head consists of a "Slider", which flies over the surface of the spinning disk (think of an Air Hockey puck and you'll get the idea). The Slider contains the read and write elements that allow data recording (think of a Cassette Tape recorder and you'll get the idea). The Slider is attached through a "Suspension" to the rotary actuator. The HDD positions the Slider at different radii across the Disk by rotating (think of a Phonograph Tone Arm and you'll get the idea). The "Air Bearing" created by the flying Slider is fairly robust, but shocks in the Z direction can force the Slider to contact the disk surface, and that's bad.

Desktop and Server drives use Contact Start Stop, the heads actually land on the disk surface when the disk is stopped. Mobile drives use something called "Ramp Load", the heads are lifted off the disk when the disk is stopped. For this reason, it is not a good idea to use a Desktop HDD in a mobile application. Desktop HDDs are prone to a kind of damage called "Head Slap" when stopped, and so are less robust when it comes to tolerating the types of mechanical shocks likely to be seen in a mobile application.

Data is located on the disk surface in a series of concentric tracks. Each track is divided in to segments called "Sectors" (think of Pizza slices and you'll get the idea). To locate data on the disk, the HDD rotates the Actuator to the target track, and then it waits for the desired Sector to rotate under the Slider and past the read/write elements.

The HDD has to control the Actuator very accurately, track widths are measured in microinches. Linear motion (in the X, Y, or Z direction) has very little effect on the HDD's ability to "Track Follow", the Actuator is balanced, but rotary motion (rotation around the Spindle Motor's Z axis) is very difficult for the HDD to handle. The HDD will monitor it's track position and abort read and write operations (and subsequently retry) if it's straying too far, so usually the worst effect of linear or rotary shock is reduced performance. However, very large shocks can result in mis-reads or mis-writes (the Slider strays on to an adjacent track while reading or writing).

Vibration can excite resonances in the HDD's mechanical structure. Resonance has the effect of magnifying the vibration and it can result in the same kinds of errors and lost performance that large shocks will cause.

An HDD is a fairly delicate, precision mechanical assembly. Banging it around does physical damage and will lead it to an early demise. Luckily, the suspension of your car does a good job at absorbing or attenuating the kinds of strong, high-frequency shocks that are likely to do the most damage to an HDD. Fancy isloation systems are not generally necessary. But for the best performance, it is important to mount the HDD in a location that is as vibration free as possible. Isolation mounts can be beneficial in achieving this aim.

Also if possible, mounting the HDD vertically (on edge, not flat) will prove advantageous. Most of the strong shocks transmitted through the car's suspension are in the Z axis (up/down). The HDD is most sensitive to mechanical shock in the Z axis, least in the X and Y. If you mount the HDD vertically, you're aligning the most robust HDD axis with the strongest source of excitation and you are less likely to experience mechanically induced problems or outright failure."

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
PC fans are 12V if you ever have any problems keeping the laptop cool (remember that engine compartment air is sucked through there, that can get VERY warm if its not 100% sealed).

Use some sort of CPU benchmarking software and do what's called a "burn in".

Agreed! I will run the "burn-in", and post the results of the two tests after

Think of it as a programmable shortcut key....

Yep, sounds GREAT and would look great too.

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
Remember that just because you have a TV screen in your fiero, that does not mean you are ready hook that up to the composite out on your videocard...you will never get anything remotely legible on a TV monitor. For people looking for the cheap way out on this project, look into Lilliput monitors.

??? I have a proper VGA touch screen.

Originally posted by AutoTech: I was going to cut out an appropriate size opening between the window switchs and mount this flush.

About the idea and product - AWESOME!! that would be way cool in the space between the window switches
So cool I would consider giving up my power mirrors LOL... J/K
Any other ideas where to mount it ? They should make a BlueTooth version so we can mount it on the steering wheel.
(just don't try operating it in a turn LOL)

About the video - Geeeeezzzzzzz next time don't ask Fred from shipping to do the narration!!! pay a cool sexy voice pro to do it

Originally posted by Ayrow: I use a laptop all of the time in my truck (fire department & storm chasing software).
Trust me, you don't want something like this. The only way to go with computers in a vehicle is a trackball or an actual touchscreen monitor. I'm not going to go into why I feel this is the case, but it all comes down to easy of use in a safe manner.
I've honestly tried everything out there and have given up on most everything except the trackball and or touchscreen.
Just my opinion.

Thanks, I can agree with you the touch screen works great, If you'd give some reasons we can discuss it

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 02-23-2008).]

IP: Logged
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I didnt mean "you" I was just saying anyone that has a TV in their car already cant just expect to upgrade it to a full out computer monitor with a snap of the fingers. I have seen many people think that...

I am interested on how "cold" the HDD maker is referring to problems. Also, you might want to consider having 2 drives, one with your data in an external, slightly shock sensitive enclosure, and your operating system on the internal drive.
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Sounds like Pron music to me.

Yea, exactly my thoughts.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mister:
About the idea and product - AWESOME!! that would be way cool in the space between the window switches
So cool I would consider giving up my power mirrors LOL... J/K
Any other ideas where to mount it ? They should make a BlueTooth version so we can mount it on the steering wheel.
(just don't try operating it in a turn LOL)

My suggestion is to move the power mirror switches. How often do you adjust the mirrors, compared to mousing/shortcutting?
A good spot would be a) under the trunk release switch (if that spot is blank), or b) on the left side of the steering column somewhere. (where it's supposed to be ) (passengers should not have access to the mirrors -sensai says )

That location is just too great to pass up on an input method.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
sensai says
Are you in martial arts ????
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:(passengers should not have access to the mirrors -sensai says )

HAIII !!!

My suggestion is to move the power mirror switches. How often do you adjust the mirrors, compared to mousing/shortcutting? A good spot would be a) under the trunk release switch (if that spot is blank), or b) on the left side of the steering column somewhere. (where it's supposed to be That location is just too great to pass up on an input method.

Good options there, sitting in the car the mirror switch location is such a "natural" spot for a frequent access function. Maybe something like an ejector seat button...They can have access to that...

Originally posted by darkhorizon: I didnt mean "you" I was just saying anyone that has a TV in their car already cant just expect to upgrade it to a full out computer monitor with a snap of the fingers. I have seen many people think that...
I am interested on how "cold" the HDD maker is referring to problems. Also, you might want to consider having 2 drives, one with your data in an external, slightly shock sensitive enclosure, and your operating system on the internal drive.

I see, as for the two HDD, good idea as well. I've read some people on MP3car.com are doing that (easy to bring the data drive home for updates) but they have "bigger" cars with more storage space and an actual glove box

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 02-24-2008).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
o psh on the storage space, you can shove the external HDD behind a seat, up in the front, in the back trunk.... you get the idea. Its really only limited by how long of a usb cable you can find..I have one thats about 25ft.

I took a bit of advice from my physics class and made a case out of really heavy steel, and solid mounted the HDD to it, to hopefully give it some extra inertia. I have had my carputer in my lowered (and horrid ride quality) GTP here in michigan (land of potholes) and I am still on my original 20gig HDD.
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon: made a case out of really heavy steel, and solid mounted the HDD to it, to hopefully give it some extra inertia. I have had my carputer in my lowered (and horrid ride quality) GTP here in michigan (land of potholes) and I am still on my original 20gig HDD.

Interesting, Pics?

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:

sensai says
Are you in martial arts ????

Nope, Not at all.
It was just leftover mindset of a weird conversation my gf and I had late last night.
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Nope, Not at all.
It was just leftover mindset of a weird conversation my gf and I had late last night.

Interesting, Pics? LMAO
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Installed the Microsoft Streets and Trips 2007 with GPS Locator
(Purchased in 2007)
"SiRF star III technology that's 10 times more sensitive than the GPS device included with the Streets and Trips 2006 version"

2008 Version : http://www.microsoft.com/st...&active_tab=Features

Works great
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Will post better pics and a breakdown of my "carputer" LOL. Its a Pocket PC, running windows mobil 6, loaded with assorted movie and music players, TomTom Mobil Navigator and such. Checks all my emails for me and because it is my cell phone, it can upload/download everything on the fly. Including running Internet Radio stations. I have a docking plug for it that I will post later, its plugged into an external Mic and the Car Stereo to use it as a true car kit.

Its pretty cool, oh and it is a touch screen to boot.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 02-28-2008).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Talk bout an "All in 1" plug an play gadget. If it would make coffee and ...................... you can marry it
Just kidding Fierochick

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 02-28-2008).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about the pic quality, but here it is closed up and a few shots of the charge/USB/audio output jack.

Its a pretty slick little setup and we find ourselves leaving the laptop and Streets and Trips setup at home. The only limiting factor to this setup is the storage. I currently have a 6gig Micro SD Card in it now and there are larger cards, or owning several 6gig cards. But it would sure be nice to have 80gig of HD space on hand. I guess being solid state I never have to worry about drives crashing though. LOL The cards just slide in the side so you can do it on the fly and they are hot swappable. The Audio manager interface is very much like the I-Pods. Sort by Genre and so on. We just bought FieroChick an HTC Touch, which is basically the exact same device hardware and software wise, it just does not have the slide out keyboard and weighs about 1/2 of the Tytn. It has the exact same screen though. I do have to say that gaming on the go with it kinda sucks if you want any decent 3D game support. The phone itself unfortunately costs more than some cheap laptops. When I got it, retail on it was around $700 however on a contract with my wireless Carrier it was only $250. If you know someone looking to buy either one, make sure they do there research on the exact model that there carrier is selling. I have found some sneaky company's up here, that sell gimped versions of the phone IE Bell Canada sells there Touch with the WiFi portion disabled so you have no choice but to use their internet Data Packages. Fortunately we are with Rogers and they don't gimp their phones. I was even able to update all the software myself to enable a few functions like Video calling that were not enabled by default.

On a side note, I realize Laptops are the easiest way to set these carputers up. However has anyone tried in a Fiero, to simple use a mini-ITX board with a small UPS to sustain power, running a laptop drive and put it in a shoe box sized enclosure. Many if not all the current model UPS's have a feature to run a shutdown on the PC if it see's power drop off IE shutting off the car. You could probably load Windows onto a flash drive for even more data stability.

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Looks very good Capt.

Could you post one driver POV picture so we'll see how it looks in the car.
My personal flavor in car customizing / upgrades is making things look like they belong there (as close as possible to stock) or better off invisible when not in use
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I am actully posting from it right now. Sitting at the tax office. LOL. When not in use it sits in my hip pouch. The mount is just a single suction cup on the glass.
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
I have been working on this idea, for awhile. I am using a laptop, as well. Trying to keep it portable, so I can use it, in any car. I don't drive my Fiero, that much, so I can't see making it, a permanent part of the car. I would like to use bluetooth, to elminate the USB for the touchscreen and I am looking for a wireless video transmitter and receiver for the 7" monitor. As for my GPS, I have the Microsoft streets and maps 2007and I found a bluetooth dock for the GPS receiver, on E-bay. I have a data card in the laptop, for internet access and I can access my cell phone through the computer. What you would see on the screen of a cell phone, will be seen on the computer screen.
As for the hardrive - you are pretty much, stuck with it. The computer will not boot up with a flashdrive. Flashdrives run through USB, either internal or external. You need a harddrive with windows, to start the computer. Windows has the drivers to access the flashdrives.
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC:
I can access my cell phone through the computer. What you would see on the screen of a cell phone, will be seen on the computer screen.

I like that.

How does it communicate with your cell? what data card ? what software?
Can you dial from your Carputer? can you use the car stereo and an external mic?
Thanks
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
A data card is a cellular card that goes into your pcmia slot on the side of your laptop. Basicly, it is a high speed, cellular modem. It is like having a second cell phone. Because, it has it's own cell number.

My cell phone is a Motorola Razor V3XX. There is freeware and drivers that can be downloaded for this phone and after the phone is connected to the computer by USB, it will act as the phone. I should have said earlier, that I was shown this set-up, on my friend's computer. A picture of the Razor shows up on the screen and then the computer is used to control the cell phone. My friend has an external mic and the sound was coming out of his computer speakers. My friend is setting up my phone and computer right now.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Interesting, Pics?

IDK honestly, I will have to take some if I cant dig them up. My professional photographer lady comes home from school tomorrow.
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC: My friend is setting up my phone and computer right now.

Cool, good info there. when it's ready please throw in some install pics
PFF
System Bot
FieroVin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroVinClick Here to visit FieroVin's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroVinDirect Link to This Post
Sounds cool Mister. I've wanted to do something like this for a while too, but I've never wanted to shell out the bucks for a touchscreen to make it happen.
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroVin:
Sounds cool Mister. I've wanted to do something like this for a while too, but I've never wanted to shell out the bucks for a touchscreen to make it happen.

You could find a screen these days for $150 to $700 US.

http://search.ebay.com/VGA-...ifQQsaslopZ1QQsbrsrt Zd

The one I've got for $200 is good but has it faults (see p.1)
Make sure you read reviews and opinions on MP3car.com etc. before buying. There are a some screens that simply break / stop working / badly made.
FieroVin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroVinClick Here to visit FieroVin's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroVinDirect Link to This Post
Seems like many on mp3car have used the 7" lillyput I'd really like something that can be hidden or retracted when not in use though, like what you have, or maybe something permanently mounted in the dash. I always wondered if I could flip down the map pocket on the passenger side of the dash and have a screen slide out of there somehow. I think that area is filled with duct work for the heating system though.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Mister, I found a great idea for "stealth", as an anti-theft device. ( I had that idea for quite a while, but now I actually found someone that has done it actually)

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13332
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroVin:
Seems like many on mp3car have used the 7" lillyput I'd really like something that can be hidden or retracted when not in use though, like what you have, or maybe something permanently mounted in the dash. I always wondered if I could flip down the map pocket on the passenger side of the dash and have a screen slide out of there somehow. I think that area is filled with duct work for the heating system though.

There are nice setups like that out there, but mostly on the P/S:

My favorite: hidden screen behind the "glove box"

Originally posted by Wheels1:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...19-1-027960.html#p22

Originally posted by David Bartlett:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-1-027960.html
Yeah, I have the Apex1100 1meg in my car. Check out the thread. It works really well, but requires a little bit of work, the hardest part is getting the console solid enought that it doesn't bump the player. Road bumps are not an issue.

Originally posted by edbone:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020319-1-011861.html
Here are the pictures that I promised of the tv dvd and more. The dvd took alot of custom work internally underneath the console and also the dvd itself. Had to disect the dvd and move components around to make possible

unfortunately this entire setup was stolen in 2002

Mister, I found a great idea for "stealth", as an anti-theft device. ( I had that idea for quite a while, but now I actually found someone that has done it actually)
http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13332

Here are the pics form the link.

It's been done before and is a good disguise for your stereo

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 02-29-2008).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I love the DVD Drive in the console that is the coolest thing I have seen done.

However I have seen the Dash mounted screens behind the pocket and to be very honest and blunt. I hate that. It is too far from the driver and at a poor angle to be anything more than a movie screen for the passenger. In my honest opinion, the only good place for the screen is in the center of the car either from the stereo area pointing up for mounted on a flip down from the overhead light area. My Pocket PC sits just above the center gauges and slightly to the left. The foot of the mount when installed actually rests one corner on the speedometer cluster.

My only grip today, was I had been playing with a 2nd GPS unit we just bought. It is a Holux M1000 Bluetooth GPS for FieroChick's phone. I had to muck around with the com ports to get hers working on my phone. Then when I tried to change the com ports in the windows management back, my original GPS that also runs on Bluetooth quit talking to the phone. I got so mad at it, that I tossed it in the door pouch and just used her HTC Touch for the remainder of the day.

I love technology when it works, and hate it the rest of the time. Sorry just had to rant. As for Bluetooth GPS units. The Holux M1000 that we bought, is really cost effective, has a Li-ion battery, and works really good. It is 44 bucks at NCIX in Langley BC. http://www.ncix.com/product...00&manufacture=Holux

While doing the search I just came across this other one and one of the reviews said he is using it for a car computer system. It says PS2 interface. I wonder if that is for a hacked Sony PS2 with modded interface. Might be a great option if it is? http://www.ncix.com/product...13&manufacture=Holux
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:I got so mad at it, that I tossed it in the door pouch and just used her HTC Touch for the remainder of the day. I love technology when it works, and hate it the rest of the time.

Capt Fiero -->

I'm with you on that man

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 02-29-2008).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2008 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Heat is your biggest enemy. (lack of air circulation) My gf's laptop just died from being left on the bed about 2 weeks ago. Won't turn on anymore. I took out the harddrive and rescued the data, but the laptop itself is probably toast (no pun intended ) I've seen numerous laptops die that way over the years. Some I could rescue, some not. Don't underestimate airflow. Use some sort of CPU benchmarking software and do what's called a "burn in". It's where the software runs the computer as hard as it can taxing it with lots of tasks for a few hours. Watch the temperature (the software usually shows that with the stats) and see how high it creeps up. This is going to be the extreme it will ever see. If it stays under 50*C you're in the clear and don't have to worry about it. Over 75*C is usually where you kiss the warranty goodbye (at least for desktops) higher than that you're in danger of killing the CPU. (Keep in mind most laptops use "cpu throttling", where the electronics will actually slow down the CPU to a crawl, rather than let it overheat. Sadly that protection doesn't work all that well in the real world. )

I've downloaded Notebook Hardware Control (NHC) http://www.pbus-167.com/
And started monitoring.
Just sitting here at the coffee shop with the laptop on my lap the CPU is reading 60*C and the HD is reading 41*C
According to NHC the critical temp for this CPU is 92*C I'll have to do some more research...
88Formula327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2008 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88Formula327Click Here to visit 88Formula327's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88Formula327Direct Link to This Post

Anybody taken a look at chumby?
http://www.chumby.com/

179 bucks. Linux powered...

* 3.5" LCD color touchscreen
* Two external USB 2.0 full-speed ports
* 350 MHz ARM processor
* 64 MB SDRAM
* 64 MB NAND flash ROM
* Stereo 2W speakers
* Headphone output
* Squeeze sensor
* Accelerometer (motion sensor) <------ G meter!
* Leather casing
* AC adapter included
* Wi-fi connectivity
* Access to the free Chumby Network
* Over-the-air software updates

Hardware: Ahhh, remember back when the Apple II shipped with complete source code for its BIOS and schematics? We are happy to bring this tradition back to the public.

Software: The chumby client is a Linux-based, open-source platform. As our client evolves, so does our flavor of linux and the specific details associated with its drivers and helper applications.

This thing sounds like a great platform for hardware/software hacker types... Maybe add an ELM OBD II and make a digital dash.
http://www.elmelectronics.com/obdic.html

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2008 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero -->

I'm with you on that man

Spookything would have just thrown it at the window, then he would need a new windshield again!

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2008 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88Formula327: Anybody taken a look at chumby?

Thanks 88Formula327 and welcome to the forum,
The way they advertise it, it seems to be some kiddy toy and works like a "simplified computer"

If at all...I would rip it out of that Teletubbie enclosure and incorporate it into the dash
Maybe I had too much coffee today, but it just makes me wanna kick it LOL

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 03-03-2008).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2008 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
chumby

I just watched a clip about it this morning on cnet.
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Today's updates...
Had a few hours work today and improved some aspects of the install:

1. Heat disposition:

Found an old computer fan to try and fit into the console

And this stock opening in the console was just calling for it

Fits perfect between the insulation pads

The fan just barely fits between the back of the console and the ECM (The console sits about 3mm out of place)

Fan was connected with an RCA quick connect to switch power

The fan would be pulling air from the Laptop compartment towards the ECM and out the side vents

Drilled / cut an air outlet hole for the interior X41 vent
(Pic from below the console)

2. Console door solution (maybe temporary) Industrial grade Velcro

3. On / Off docking station push pin

As Austrian Import suggested I've found a golf tee and also an exercise-ball air plug

And the winner is...the air plug a quick drill through the left vent - and it's a perfect fit and function (have to paint it Grey)

Day's final status

Now I'll have to run some tests to see how the CPU temp acts...

------------------

T-Top Conversion~Dual HUD~LED Setup~Red Fieros~Montreal Club~Carputer

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 03-04-2008).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2008 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Looking very cool. (pun intended)

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2008 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Update...
A long awaited part have arrived... If you're wondering what this important, well packed, $8 (+shipping) component is...

This guy...

Yes, it's a right angle VGA adapter.
Props go to L-Com for the great service, fast shipping, and willingness to send an $8 part to Canada (unlike the competition)
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=8659

It has a very simple job to do - Make things go 90*

But what he does, he does like a champ. LOL

One step closer to the finished install. Still to solve is the right angle solution for the power source.

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 03-11-2008).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
One more update

I've purchased a Creative Xmod external USB sound card.
http://us.creative.com/prod...ry=668&product=15913

This unit will solve a few issues:

1. The X4 docking station I used has no audio out connection
2. The X41 build in sound card is of lower sound quality (and produces a "click" at the end of sound clips)
3. The Xmod is a designated sound card that uses the newest technology to improve and enhance all-around sound quality
4. Easy to reach and operate volume and mute control

Here is the Xmod unit

Now, again...do you see where I'm going with this?...

Some of you are not going to like this part...
It requires some Trimming of the plastic skeleton (trust me, I didn't like it myself)

And more aggressive trimming - of the ashtray courtesy light

This is the result - Both plastic pieces surrounding the ashtray were trimmed to accommodate the Xmod and wires plugging in. (line out & USB) I've kept the minimum required to support the ashtray door.

XMOD in location under the console

In the install process I've found that I can actually open the laptop in it's location which helps a lot when software mods are needed

I'm extremely happy with the final result It fits like a glove and works great

Comments about the sound quality will follow when I'll get a better chance to explore it.

------------------

T-Top Conversion~Dual HUD~LED Setup~Red Fieros~Montreal Club~Carputer

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Mister

1975 posts
Member since Aug 2004
If you're wondering about the wallpaper... This is Ver.1- I might improve it later...

BustedRide

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BustedRideSend a Private Message to BustedRideDirect Link to This Post
So to get the laptop screen to show up on the in dash screen, you just do a usb to rca connection from the computer to the screen?
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BustedRide: So to get the laptop screen to show up on the in dash screen, you just do a usb to rca connection from the computer to the screen?

No, it's a proper VGA touch screen - Video goes through the VGA cable (just like your PC screen) / Touchscreen driver works on USB
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock