Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  ~~ Computerizing The Fiero ~~ by Mister ~~ (Laptop & Touch Screen) (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
~~ Computerizing The Fiero ~~ by Mister ~~ (Laptop & Touch Screen) by Mister
Started on: 02-21-2008 04:14 PM
Replies: 147
Last post by: Australian on 09-13-2010 06:46 AM
BustedRide

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BustedRideSend a Private Message to BustedRideDirect Link to This Post
Whoa whoa whoa. Lol you lost me.

So I'm picking up a Phase Linear 7'' in dash touch screen player.

And I have a laptop. I run a VGA (monitor) cable to the touch screen? What kind of plug is on the touch screen? USB?
IP: Logged
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
Please tell me you are also running WinALDL with this!
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

KurtAKX

4008 posts
Member since Feb 2002

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Please tell me you are also running WinALDL with this!

Haha, just think, you now have like 3500 times the computing power that used to be in the center console!
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BustedRide:
So I'm picking up a Phase Linear 7'' in dash touch screen player.
And I have a laptop. I run a VGA (monitor) cable to the touch screen? What kind of plug is on the touch screen? USB?

Hey bud,
I'm not sure which Jensen 7" you're getting: http://mobile.jensen.com/je...ORY_MOBILEMULTIMEDIA
I've looked at the specs of the 3 in-dash models and non of them mention VGA capability. They have other video inputs for game consuls etc.
Before you buy anything figure out what do you wanna get from your new setup and plan accordingly. You might not needs a laptop in the car if you just wanna play music EH!

Originally posted by KurtAKX: Please tell me you are also running WinALDL with this!
Haha, just think, you now have like 3500 times the computing power that used to be in the center console!

The only ALDL feature I know would be for engine performance scanning with winALDL.
I don't plan on doing scanning while driving normally, however this laptop has a serial plug and if I would like to record data I would pull it out of the cradle and let my passenger / mechanic handle the scanning
BustedRide

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BustedRideSend a Private Message to BustedRideDirect Link to This Post
Just play music. Lol! It's never that simple.

I'll go check and see if it has VGA capabilities on it or not today. I'm the intraweb in teh fiero, yo.
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Update:

The problem - as mentioned B4, I had to find a 90* or low profile power adapter plug

After searching high and low...Nothing easily available for my X41

O.K to work..Parts

Adapter made

(Thanks Rick for the simple solution idea)

The solution - Home made adapter folds nicely in place

Finally I can reassemble the center console

Result for the day

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 03-27-2008).]

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
Hmm what gauge wire did you use for that homemade adapter? Also the insulation on the outside provides a heat difuser too.
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by x-thumpr-x: Hmm what gauge wire did you use for that homemade adapter? Also the insulation on the outside provides a heat difuser too.

Most likely 16 (?) (does it makes sense from the pic)? What should it be? Do you predict a problem?
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Google - Fiero Carputer... and you get --> HERE!
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Good info on Carputers and GPS

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Mister dropped me a PM to post my laptop setup.

Here is my laptop stand. It was made from 1x1x1/8" angle with notches for the the wireless card, hard drive vent, USB port, power cable and some other ports on the rear.

The base is made from 1x1 angle and square tube. It uses the stock front seat studs (my seats do not use them) and has a leg towards the front for stability. Two legs support the laptop cradle and the overall mount is quite stiff/stable.

Here is the laptop (old IBM think pad) in the cradle. Its main purpose in the car is for datalogging and fine tuning the 7730 ecm running my Ramjet fuel injection. The USB cable goes to the Moates Ostrich emulator that allows chipless real time tuning. The other serial cable goes to the ALDL for data logging. I use a small inverter to get 110V and use the stock laptop power cable to it (I would like a cleaner method to power the laptop).

Here is the moates Ostrich Emulator. I took out the bin portion of the console cover and removed the oval plug to gain easy access to the ecm. The USB cable goes to the laptop and the ribbon cable goes through the oval opening to the ecm and plugs in where the stock chip went. The Ostrich will run the car without the laptop connected based on whatever bin is last loaded on it.

Here is the laptop open, on, and reading out sensor data via tunerproRT

Right now the laptop is just for ECM monitoring/tuning. Someday I might have it do more...
PFF
System Bot
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for sharing fieroguru, Verrrrry cool setup

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
Not much room for a passenger to enjoy those nice corvette seats
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by x-thumpr-x:

Not much room for a passenger to enjoy those nice corvette seats

I might redo the legs on the stand to allow the passenger's legs to fit under the lap top... but since Carrera was born, all my travels in the fiero have been passenger less. In fact, in the last 2 years I think there has only been a passenger in it 3 times (one with the laptops stand installed - very cramped and just went around the parking lot, once for a parts run/speeding ticket where the stand was temporarily removed, and once with a guy from work before I built the stand). Besides, the Corvette seats were installed for my comfort, not the passengers!

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Same here, I have a passenger once in a blue moon. your setup is perfect for tunning.
It seems like you can remove it in less then 10 minuets. (Does it fit in the trunk?)

Another option I thought off for my setup was - sliding drawer rails attached below the P/S dash. (just like those keyboard drawer)

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 04-18-2008).]

Maetrix66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Maetrix66Click Here to visit Maetrix66's HomePageSend a Private Message to Maetrix66Direct Link to This Post
Try out Tuner Pro, it works with the
system, and also can control a programmer if you decide later to do that.

I have the entire setup waiting for me to finish the turbo manifolds.
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
One more upgrade to the ventilation system -->

The old, large fan behind the docking station and the new low profile 15mm fan (the large fan was rubbing slightly against the plastic)

After replacing and installing the small fan in place, made some trimming to the surrounding plastic

The dual fan setup

The large fan is now blowing from above the dock

Hopefully this would be enough to keep things cool
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I redid the laptop stand to allow a passenger to ride along (good thing to because I had a passenger to the Fiero Factory swap meet). The upper frame was retained (and raised about 1") but a single piece of 1" pipe became the only support. The new setup is a firm as the old one, just more passenger friendly. I also added a bracket to mount the inverter so it is not bouncing around in the passenger seat any more.

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
Much cleaner!! I like it.
TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post
This stuff is COOL!!!

I saw the Fiero computer on eBay and now I see the thread here.

Too Cool!!!

~M

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru: I redid the laptop stand to allow a passenger to ride along

Before:

After:

Looking good
When you got it perfect (Fitted for regular Fiero seat, adjustable to most laptops, cables tube, etc.) start selling it (with safety disclaimer)

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 05-01-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2008 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Took some shots of a friends Fiero with a similar Laptop tray,not same metal construction - this one is made of wood. He has a small heater (can get to -30* here), a GPS and other accessories on the tray, above the gauge cluster is a G-Meter, in the left ash-tray is an MP3 player. In the "glove pocket" is the co-pilot

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 05-11-2008).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
nice set up there. too clustered for my taste. cant wait to get started on mine!
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k: nice set up there. too clustered for my taste.

Which one of the above (3) do you find clustered?

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 05-18-2008).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
the last one. i like to leave room for a passenger and for it to appear as stock as possible. im about to post up pictures of my sloppy mockup on my topic.
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:
the last one. i like to leave room for a passenger and for it to appear as stock as possible. im about to post up pictures of my sloppy mockup on my topic.

O.K. Gotcha.
I agree on the stock "stealth" look, That's how my project is done

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
hey, check out your mp3car, i left a message on your fiero topic. great to a see a carputer in a fiero
LowLux

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2008 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LowLuxSend a Private Message to LowLuxDirect Link to This Post
i was going to put a computer in the trunk... and phase charge it... FREEZE IT!!! and use a LINUX OS for the screen.... you guys are ahead of me... o.o

whats a good LCD touch screen to use? any size.... even if its a 12" and up or a 7" thats goes where the radio is... ?
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k: hey, check out your mp3car, i left a message on your fiero topic. great to a see a carputer in a fiero

Hey bud, thanks for the message, I've stopped updating there since they throw the thread in the "Work log" section.

Originally posted by LowLux: whats a good LCD touch screen to use? any size.... even if its a 12" and up or a 7" thats goes where the radio is... ?

LowLux, Since technology is updating every 5min and I've done my research more then a year ago I suggest you hit the forums (like Mp3car.com) and see what people are jazzing about these days.
I can tell you the screen I chose works fine but has no line output, so I don't recommend it.

I've heard of someone that installed a 10" screen vertically where the radio and vents are.

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 06-23-2008).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2008 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Great thread. Bump
PFF
System Bot
Mick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2008 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MickClick Here to visit Mick's HomePageSend a Private Message to MickDirect Link to This Post
I like to do things the easy way, and the last thing I will ever do is mess up the intrinsic value of a fairly rare car, thus any interior modifications have to allow for easy conversion back to stock. I use a Motorized In-dash 7" LCD VGA Touch Screen that I installed into the existing AM/FM headunit slot using a cheap metra 1.5 to 1 din install kit. Took all of about 20 minutes to do and it cost less than $300. You can still get them here on eBay.

When its retracted it looks like a cheap AM/FM radio from k-mart. The carpc mounts behind the passenger seat using nylon straps with velcro fasteners. I can remove it in seconds and bring it into the house with me if I want. Its about the same dimensions as a typical laptop, but slightly taller, and it fits perfectly in my padded laptop case for easy transport.

It's a custom built Epia based 1.2 ghz system with an internal 80 GB 2.5" laptop drive that has never failed in the last 3 yrs that I have used it here in the icy rocky mountains. Gets pretty hot here in the summer as well.
It has GPS of course, and it is all controlled by an artificial intelligence that also monitors and manages the EFI system of the turbocharged 3400 SFI powerplant in my little red 88 Fiero Formula. I can select from a number of profiles such as boost level, performance, economy, vallet, etc. and it re-flashes the PCM with the new parameters. The AI system responds to voice commands and is similar to Ford's SYNC system in that I can play a song simply by saying the name of the song artist. That's pretty important since most of that 80 GB drive is filled with high bitrate mp3's. The carpc's onboard sound outputs in dolby 5.1 to 2 different amplifiers (a 4-channel for the separate front/rears and one for the sub). It sounds nearly as good as my high end $10k home theater system.

I use a D-Link DIR-451 EVDO WiFi router that mounts in the trunk for always-on broadband internet. It only draws like 2 amps, so I can keep it on even when its parked in the garage, I still use a battery tender since it would drain after a few weeks otherwise (the car is obviously not a daily driver). I can wake the carpc and mess with its files from here in the house (you cant do wake-on-lan without a router).
No, I do not browse the web as I drive, I simply ask the AI for the information and it reads the results it obtains from the net to me. It's great for locating any nearby store or restaurant in an instant. It also reads my email, and announces real time traffic reports along with weather and news reports if I want. The AI is the glue that brings it all together, and I would consider using anything else to be an unacceptable safety hazard to both myself and the other drivers.

Since the touch screen replaces the head unit and I like to listen to FM, I use an external HD Radio receiver interfaced to the carpc with software that allows me to control the receiver using the touch screen or voice command.

The software has the ability to automatically record the songs it plays to mp3 as I drive, now you know the reason behind the nearly full hard drive.

So dont make it quite so hard on yourself, and try not to cut up a perfectly good Fiero just to install a Carpc.

[This message has been edited by Mick (edited 08-30-2008).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2008 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Hey Mick,
Your setup is very interesting, and your way is just as "right" as any other since we all customize our cars to our own liking thanks for sharing
Please snap some photos for us of the above items in the car.
I am very interested in the voice commands - can you post more info on the software and how/where you mounted the microphone.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 08-30-2008).]

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2008 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
i was thinking about doing this too....
but
i was going to use either an acer aspire one, an EEE pc, or a Wind.
intel 1.6ghz atom processor and UMPC ftw, would solve ALL your space issues imo...
i used to carry around my EEE 4g pc in my coat pocket.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mick:

I like to do things the easy way, and the last thing I will ever do is mess up the intrinsic value of a fairly rare car, thus any interior modifications have to allow for easy conversion back to stock.parameters.

im the same way on my cars. if it is going to have to be cut up, i buy a replacement to cut up. did that on my aveo for putting my carputer in. most of everything i do is reversable.

i had a carputer in my 98 blazer, transfered it to my aveo and have the same pc to put into a fiero. but since the fiero is so limited on space, i am thinking about saving [$2000-$3000] to get one of the double din ones that have everything built in for a carpc.

check out how i had my 98 Blazer LT and how i have my Aveo SV . the blazer took about 3 months of planing and gathering the correct parts. the aveo, i already had all the parts. i spent the time ive had the aveo [since march] to figure out how i was going to fit everything. finally got all that in last week.

the fiero, i just put in a monsoon system, so i am going to enjoy that for a few years till a newer highly supported and affordable double din carpc is available. or when i have the money. since i want to use my fiero as a daily when the weather is nice, ill need that GPS for going out to places.
------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp to the wheels

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 08-31-2008).]

Mick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MickClick Here to visit Mick's HomePageSend a Private Message to MickDirect Link to This Post
The software I use is called AIVMS. It's similar to Ford's SYNC system, but extends on it to include a real artificial intelligence. I tried using an array mic mounted where the steering column protrudes, and it worked quite well, but the car is VERY loud and there were times when recognition was a bit difficult. I switched to using a little bluetooth headset mic and it works like a charm. I can also use my little IR remote digital watch to control functions like mute, volume, play, pause, etc. I wish I could afford a watch with a bluetooth mic built-in, but they are very new tech and still command a $500 price tag.
I use the same software on my HTPC at home, where it controls my home theater AV components and all of my house lighting.

I have a Ricoh digital camera but the selector wheel broke off it. I can get it to work if I hold the wheel in place but that can be a pain. I still might give it a try if I can remember to bring the camera along with me. I think a video of the automatic screen deployment would be more impressive than any still shot, so maybe I will try that.

[This message has been edited by Mick (edited 08-31-2008).]

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok I am probably missing something here. But why all this work when $399 AU can buy me an in car PC that replaces the factory head unit and does anything a home pc can do? Please enlighten me.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
he can take his out? ...idk?
Mick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MickClick Here to visit Mick's HomePageSend a Private Message to MickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Ok I am probably missing something here. But why all this work when $399 AU can buy me an in car PC that replaces the factory head unit and does anything a home pc can do? Please enlighten me.

Well dont leave us in suspense, lets see some links to this amazing do everything box.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Search the web for In Car PC. Ther eis heaps of them.
I cant find the exact one I am after right now as it is usually on ebay.com.au
This is another type on there at the moment. Not as good as the other because it isn't an in dash replacement.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/In-C...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock