Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  ~~ Computerizing The Fiero ~~ by Mister ~~ (Laptop & Touch Screen) (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
~~ Computerizing The Fiero ~~ by Mister ~~ (Laptop & Touch Screen) by Mister
Started on: 02-21-2008 04:14 PM
Replies: 147
Last post by: Australian on 09-13-2010 06:46 AM
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Another option but still not the damn one I am after.
http://www.fit-pc.com/new/s...ukupUCFQRfagodBl37Qw
Getting closer but still not quite it. this one is a touch too big.
https://www.xenarcdirect.com/product.php?productid=16186&cat=256&page=1

This one is a 1din in dash unti but not quite the one I am looking for.
http://www.xenarc.com/product/cp-id8.html

The oen I am after is single din size but also has the DVD drive in the position to make it look like any old car stereo.

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 09-01-2008).]

IP: Logged
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001
This is really close to the one I have seen advertised on Ebay AU.

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/slimpro-sp625.asp
Mick

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MickClick Here to visit Mick's HomePageSend a Private Message to MickDirect Link to This Post
None of those include a screen, which is one of the biggest cost factors of any carpc. I would also be willing to bet that once you have one of those barebones systems configured so that it will even run in a car, it will be well within the $700 - $1000 range typical of a functional well equiped carpc. You need to be careful when shopping around, systems like that Fit PC are not going to run in a car without some extreme power tricks since it does not operated on 12v DC. Even for a 12v capable PC, there are factors specific to vehicle use that must be addressed. Unless you can find a 1/2 din screen, which you can't, you will be mounting the screen elsewhere or cutting up your dash extensively to get a 1 din retractable screen in on top of the carpc. All of these factors have been well hashed out by many carpc enthusiasts, and the conclusions are that it is best to mount the carpc somewhere "other" than the dash, and mount the screen in the dash if possible. Not that this will remain true once the nano boards become more powerful and practical, but were just not there yet.
Anyone with actual carpc experience will also point out very quickly that there is simply no way you will get into this hobby for only $399, and if that is your max price range you may as well consider something like a PDA instead.

[This message has been edited by Mick (edited 09-01-2008).]

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mick:

None of those include a screen, which is one of the biggest cost factors of any carpc. I would also be willing to bet that once you have one of those barebones systems configured so that it will even run in a car, it will be well within the $700 - $1000 range typical of a functional well equiped carpc. You need to be careful when shopping around, systems like that Fit PC are not going to run in a car without some extreme power tricks since it does not operated on 12v DC. Even for a 12v capable PC, there are factors specific to vehicle use that must be addressed. Unless you can find a 1/2 din screen, which you can't, you will be mounting the screen elsewhere or cutting up your dash extensively to get a 1 din retractable screen in on top of the carpc. All of these factors have been well hashed out by many carpc enthusiasts, and the conclusions are that it is best to mount the carpc somewhere "other" than the dash, and mount the screen in the dash if possible. Not that this will remain true once the nano boards become more powerful and practical, but were just not there yet.
Anyone with actual carpc experience will also point out very quickly that there is simply no way you will get into this hobby for only $399, and if that is your max price range you may as well consider something like a PDA instead.

The unit that isn't listed at the moment is $399 AU (about $310 US) fully loaded. Excluding screen, yes. But every system is excluding the screen.
Something that replaces the car stereo is perfect. You DVDs and CDs get loaded straight in like a factory head unit.

I still cant see the advantage of doing it the ways I see in this thread. There is certainly minimal cost saving, if any and it seems a lot of hassle when it comes to actually using the system. As in actually putting a DVD in, or plugging a USB device in etc. Not exactly something that can be done with ease.

http://www.qualitycaraudio.....asp?idproduct=19208
Half Din Screens are fairly common to allow for installs exactly like this. So add this $256 Screen to the $399 PC (Which I will find if it kills me, because I know it is not only ebay I have seen it on) and you have a great priced in car PC, all mounted in the Fiero 1.5 din slot.

The Fit PC was only added to the list for size and is not a car PC like the others It is there to show how sizes are going. So it really doens't factor into this.

So again I am going to ask, what are the advantages of doing it the ways I see here because I am really failing to see any at all?
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001
Bingo, I found it.
http://www.acesuppliers.com..._Showroom_41665.html
That is the unit I was looking for. I don't know what that supplier is selling them for but they go for $399 in Australi. Probably even cheaper directly from Tawain.

http://www.acesuppliers.com...s_3_1318_1318_1.html
This site has some Sh!t hot ones on it.

I have seen the drop face ones for sale in Thailand already integrated into car dash centres. So if you had say a Toyotoa Echo you just buy the whole dash section and it is plug and play. $700 to $750 for most cars. Anyone ever gets to Bangkok go to the MBK centre and look for the car audio guys.

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 09-01-2008).]

Mick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MickClick Here to visit Mick's HomePageSend a Private Message to MickDirect Link to This Post
The monitor you mentioned above is useless as far as a carpc is concerned, we use high resolution VGA LCD touch screens, not low res displays with rca input. But of course you already knew that. In fact, with those obviously neat china links you are considering (they have been displaying those ads for the last 2 yrs, no VGA port, and no one I know has actually seen one yet) I am sure you will be just fine on your own. Try to keep in mind that the key word here is "VGA", because without that capability for "both" the monitor and carpc, you are just wasting your money.

[This message has been edited by Mick (edited 09-01-2008).]

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
AusFiero, search around www.mp3car.com , you can find tons of info for any questions you may have.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp to the wheels

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 09-01-2008).]

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mick:

The monitor you mentioned above is useless as far as a carpc is concerned, we use high resolution VGA LCD touch screens, not low res displays with rca input. But of course you already knew that. In fact, with those obviously neat china links you are considering (they have been displaying those ads for the last 2 yrs, no VGA port, and no one I know has actually seen one yet) I am sure you will be just fine on your own. Try to keep in mind that the key word here is "VGA", because without that capability for "both" the monitor and carpc, you are just wasting your money.

Always the sceptic aren't you. If not sarcastic. If you bother to do some of your own searching ( I dont have time to do it for you) you will find high res touch screens are available in half din. I am showing quick examples for sizes. That was a 10 second search. And the Chinese have car PCs with 2 din, 1.5 din or even single din with tilt screens built in. Kinda blows your screens not fitting theories right out of the water. A screen on the dash that has touch screen controls and tilts to put in DVDs etc looks integrated and works best. Just like all the car makers do.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

AusFiero, search around www.mp3car.com , you can find tons of info for any questions you may have.

Thanks. Good to see some people can actually answer simple questions without going on the defensive about "their" preferred method of doing something.

I will have a look.
Cheers
Mister

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I was away for a while, and it's not that much fun posting from an iPhone LOL

Originally posted by Mick:The software I use is called AIVMS.

Downloading.... Thanks.

Originally posted by AusFiero: Ok I am probably missing something here. But why all this work...

Originally posted by AusFiero:... what are the advantages of doing it the ways I see here because I am really failing to see any at all?

Hey Aus, good to hear from you

There are WAY more easy and maybe cheaper ways to do a Carputer setup however, as I explained (or I think I did), my concept was the "One Computer Does All" also known as OCDA.... LOL

I've bought this Thinkpad X41 Ultra portable for this specific use:
- This is my home laptop (That I'm posting from right now)
- This is my Carputer, so when I go on a drive I have all my "stuff" with me
- This is the same laptop that when I get to a meeting I pull out from the docking station and bring in with me

Cutting up the center console and shift surround was meant to accommodate my madness and "need" to have whatever I want where I want it. and the "design" was meant to be invisible, which worked out pretty well as well.

So far I must say it's working for me and my life style, it is custom made for my needs and budget
I think that's the whole point of "customizing" a car EH!

I wanted to share my ideas and "show off" what I find to be a nice mod to a Fiero. I respect and thank all of you for any comments and suggestions made we are here to share our ideas.

~~~

These type of units as posted by Aus are good and can be installed almost anywhere

Spookything is actually planning on installing a 10" screen that would be vertical and replace the entire center console controls section, that would be cool. (but very visible to others)

Originally posted by AusFiero: Anyone ever gets to Bangkok go to the MBK centre and look for the car audio guys.

I've been to the MBK and the Pantip plaza around 2001 these places are CRAZY for deals Can't wait to go to Bangkok again.

Originally posted by americasfuture2k: AusFiero, search around www.mp3car.com , you can find tons of info for any questions you may have.

That's where I did most of my research and I've posted my setup there as well.

------------------

T-Top ~HUD~LEDs ~Red Fieros~Carputer~Go West

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 09-01-2008).]

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2008 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Now I understand what you are dong. Using the one PC everywhere. Well that makes sense.

And yes, MBK and Pantip are crazy places to shop. I go to both of them to shop everytime I visit Bangkok.
PFF
System Bot
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Up...
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
hey mister, your frontend looks like RR, just modified. im more interested in the logo tho, can you pin up some details on how you did yours like that? i found an animated jpg of a spinning pegasus. not quite to my liking. im tryn to figure out how to make my own spinning logos. im wanting to make a better pegasus one and a spinning GM logo. finding ones like those would be easier though. but i fear the ones i find, if found, wouldnt be to my liking.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp at the motor

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mister:

If it was a free world and anyone could have a laptop visible in a car I would have installed one of these mounts and call it good.

But around here, they don't like seeing you operate any type of computerized system unless it's a manufacturer navigating system.
and with my STOCK concept I can't stand to see a metal construction like that in the middle of my Fiero LOL
po nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2008 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
iPhone Cam video of all the gadgets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIyTbqmXLNQ
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2008 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Thats cool...
DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2008 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post

Already has FrontRow, easy to use playback control and the Apple remote will control it. And it has iTunes...

Power Supply: http://www.carnetix.com/CNXP1900.htm

GPS Nav Software: http://www.routebuddy.com/

It would be real easy to control the thing with the 7" touchscreens out there, just make the dock icons really big for your favorite 5 or so apps.

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html

USB Overdrive lets you tell OSX what you want each button on a USB device to do, and can be mapped to any keyboard shortcut, which are very programmable with OSX. You can make any USB device with a button do whatever you want.

This would be a much more elegant solution than anything else I've seen, especially the user interface.

Even cheaper would be to hook a deck that controls iPods up to an iPhone or iPod Touch. The iPhone would have the added benefit of always-on internet.

[This message has been edited by DustoneGT (edited 12-23-2008).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2008 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
there is always the Aopen MP915-B. the other versions of the mp915 arent good IMO for a carputer if your wanting a mac mini look. the "B" is the right sub model to go for if thats what your wanting. almost the same sizes as the mini, and its windows based. good and bad. more support for it tho and more choices for a front end. i dont remember which is smaller. i have 2 mp915-b's. on is my carputer in my aveo, and the other is waiting to be built up and used as my fiero carputer. thats gonna be a while. i gotta enjoy the stereo i just put in there now.

some minis are intel/windows based too.
------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 12-23-2008).]

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2008 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

almost the same sizes as the mini, and its windows based.

I have nightmares about my old windows machines.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2008 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
lmao

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

fieroboom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2008 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DustoneGT:

I have nightmares about my old windows machines.

X2

Linux everywhere FTW!!!
(in this particular scenario, I have indicated three different meanings for 'FTW': 1) For The Win 2) F*%k The Windows, and 3) Forge The Way...)

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com >>> Build Thread >>> Parts thread (for project funding)

PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2008 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
HA1 im trying out ubuntu now. i need to break away from winders. burnt the cd, ran it from the cd (slow, very slow way of doing it ) havnet had time to play with it anymore.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2008 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
I run one of these .

VGA out
3G radio
Wifi
GPS
FM radio (soon hopefully)
Bluetooth. I plan on adding a screen and and some nice speakers when I get my car back from the engine swap. Might not be as powerful as a car PC, but combined with a 16GB MicroSDHC it is a formadable foe. Plus work pays for my phone.

Nice setup though.

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 12-24-2008).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2009 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
So, from the last posts - any new progress on your Carputer setups?
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2009 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
well the one in my aveo has been acting funny. well the carnetix p1900 SU/SD controller has been anyway. i think there is a wire loose. ive been moving and havent had time to correct the problem. so ive just had my screen laying in the glovebox, VGA and power wire hanging out the radio hole and the power supply fuse pulled. cant wait till i can get back onto this. i miss my music.

oh, i use my ATT Tilt 3G to get online with my carputer and listen to playlist.com or slacker.com while im driving. works great! how is everyone elses carputers coming along?

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
*anti archive bump*
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
here is my aveo carputer update. i took it out of the car had to since my laptop died. and also the p1900 power wire going to the pc has a short. its been too cold and ive been far too preoccupied with things going on in life.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
bump for a top thread.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock