Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The one and only Step-By-Step 3800 Series II SC Swap (Page 14)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
The one and only Step-By-Step 3800 Series II SC Swap by The Fieromaster
Started on: 07-15-2005 11:50 AM
Replies: 521
Last post by: darkhorizon on 01-14-2009 01:32 AM
azmrtwo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2009 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for azmrtwoClick Here to visit azmrtwo's HomePageSend a Private Message to azmrtwoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the quick response MstangsBware!

I personally pulled the motor from the 1993 Bonneville that it was transplanted into and am hoping the info is correct about the motor originally coming from a 2002 GTP. So to be completely sure, I added a couple of pictures for clarification on the tensioner and to see if I have the right oil filter adapter.

The other "correct" tensioners I have seen are black and the other oil fitler housings I have seen that claim to be the "right one" stick straight out and mine points down and back.

Also, do you know if the injectors and sensors are the same between the Series I and II? The concern I have is injector pulse width while using the 93 harness and ECU with the Series II. The guys said he put about 1000 miles on with the current setup so I know it works but hate to do all this work and find out I need a newer ECU and have to redo the wiring!

You mentioned looking for a cheaper flywheel, do you have any recommendations? The ones that are ready to go, modified and balanced for the 3800SC seem to all be around $300.

IP: Logged
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
You have a strange motor there...

It has GTP exhaust manifolds, and a Hbody oil filter adapter and the WRONG tensioner assembly.

The information on manuals was a bit vauge, so let me try to clean that up a bit. The getrag is going to be a much stronger package all around, and offer better gas mileage north of 55mph. The LSD/diff upgrades are quite abundant for the getrag also, and they have seemed to greatly increase the strength of them also. As far as which one to get or how to do it, I am not sure, but I know that the 93/94 FWD transmissions used a much better "starter" diff for when you go about converting that into a LSD. As far as I know any "pre made" LSD is going to use the crappy old style diff that is very small in comparison to the 93/94.

Now the 4speed is a very nice swap trans, its hands down the fastest trans for a fiero (1/4 mile wise anyway) as it has somewhat decent gear ratios (although far from ideal). It seems to be significantly weaker stock for stock vs a getrag, but the fact is the getrag really is going to break if you treat it the same as the 4speed anyway... The power presents some fairly violent things going on to the transmission.... No amount of strength and design is going to save it if you dont have the right foot to regulate.

Any local machine shop can convert a autozone or junkyar (for example) 3800 camaro/firebird flywheel into the one you need for around $100. Its simply taking a stock one and turning it down so its the correct thickness for the swap. Spec clutches also sells an custom made alum flywheel for around $300 that I have used before, and its a very nice product.

I cant clearly tell what injectors you have, but they appear to be stock L67 injectors... at any rate you are really going to want to go OBD2, basically a pcm/harness from any 98-02 3800 powered car (you dont really need it to be SC'd, but the injector clips are different on the N/A's, not a hard fix). There are a ton of reasons to go obd2, so I ask you to just take my word for it.

This thread is REALLY dated as far as alot of the current tricks we are using for these swaps, poke around my thread in my signature a bit for some more up to date things.

------------------
Losing sight of our roots in the cathode rays.
Ultimate 3800 swap thread

IP: Logged
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock