Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The one and only Step-By-Step 3800 Series II SC Swap (Page 11)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
The one and only Step-By-Step 3800 Series II SC Swap by The Fieromaster
Started on: 07-15-2005 11:50 AM
Replies: 521
Last post by: darkhorizon on 01-14-2009 01:32 AM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohio86se:

so why wouldnt it run?

Bad battery with about 10 volts and 0 amps and a bad fuel pump relay is what I was told.

IP: Logged
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
cool! Now to begin 'debugging'
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Drive it yet?!?!?!

------------------
88 Coupe: Modded 4.9L V8 5 speed
86 GT: Stock 4 speed
http://www.geocities.com/fast88fiero

The Fieromaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
no still having clutch line issues... Have to get a few fittings from autozone... had to make braided steel line section to replace the old. Also have a couple things to wrap up before i drive it. SOOOOOON i hope though. If there are any nice days this week maybe ill get to drive it to work... kinda missing a window

I am having an issue though...

Start it and it starts fine then it idles down to almost stalling then stays there for a second or 2 then kicks up to a good idle. Check engine light comes on after a couple seconds of running.

Also... i dont know what the intake is supposed to sound like but i hear what sounds like metal rattling through the intake tubing?!? Ack... i didnt see any damage on the charger blades and it turned fine but wonder if its on way out the door!?!?!?

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
i dont recall in the previous posting if you looked at the supercharge oil?

i hope its not anything reall serious. good luck

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
no i never did look at it.. guess ill have to check it out and make sure its full!!
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked the coupler for play? Turn the pulley back and forth there should be no "click".....
my 60K engine needs a new one too...
http://www.zzperformance.com/products1.php?id=155
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Excellent... i hope that is all it is... thanks a bunch. I do remember some slop in the pulley when rocking it back n forth!

+ 4 U!

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Well if it makes ya feel better, I talked to Loyde and he said he isn't even going to be set up for Auto's until the beginning of November! Then time to get to our harness, time to make it, and time to get it here, install it, etc.

Last winter/spring project is now THIS winter's project, lol.

Let's hope this winter gives us a decent day or two without the state sanding the hell outta the roads.

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RandomTask:

This is the inlet. The gasses will travel from where the camera is to the other end.

well just found out cause i baught the same muflers the company we got them from says thats the outlet and the mufflers on display at summit racing show the same

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
in other words what Mikee is trying to say is that my mufflers are mounted backwards. That sucks but oh well for now
PFF
System Bot
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Good news and bad news and more good news...

Bad News is... My girlfriend dropped the digi cam on the kitchen floor. It no longer works
Good News... Because of that i told her im buying whatever digi cam i want... leaning toward DVD video cam by Sony... can take 5000 digi pix on one disk.. hehe. Its 700$ but on sale at Best Buy for 500!

Good News... mounting coil pack was E-Z. After taking off coils i saw there were mount holes in ignition module... they dont get used by the 3800 engine... but I CAN use them! so i just drilled the same size hole in the mount bracket and cut off the old mount pieces (they bend out at 90*). Then i put 2 holes in the trunk wall and bolted her down! I did have to grind the bolts for the coils flush though cause they stick out quite FAR past the mount bracket.

All mounted now just have to extend wires.

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Nice... Any pics? =P
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Send me a digi and ill take some... Not sure when ill have the extra cash to replace the broken one
Fiero38SC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Fieromaster:
Good News... Because of that i told her im buying whatever digi cam i want... leaning toward DVD video cam by Sony... can take 5000 digi pix on one disk.. hehe. Its 700$ but on sale at Best Buy for 500!

Make sure you check the resolution and it is what you want. I recently brought the Panisonic version and it is only 600x480 for stills. Thats why you can take 5000.

I also have a Fugi 5.1MP that is only $200 at Best Buy right now. Great small camera.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2005 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2005 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully I'll be able to get some lower coolent hoses put on tomorrow, fill 'er up with coolent and see if she starts.. could turn out to be an exciting day.

Had to spend all afternoon fixing the vac system on my S10 so the damn 4wd drive would work once the snow starts fallin...

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
What coolant setup did you go with? The modified Fiero stat housing?

Mine drives now... HOLY HELL i really didnt think there would be soooooooo much power. I let off the clutch and putted up drive way then had the urge to romp it.... there are now black marks up my drive way... if you know what i mean. I guess 100 more HP and 150 more ft/lbs of TQ really IS that big a diff. haha!

DAMN i gotta get video!!! My dad said i can borrow his digital vid cam... so i may have some sooner then you think!

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
i take it upon reading your latest post that you got the clutch setup???? do you currently have your coolant line plumbed?

pictures please

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 10-28-2005).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I'll be using the stock heater hose locations with the stock plastic elbows. I picked up a CSI inline filler that I'll connect to the stock 3800 thermostat cover.

I already had the low temp 3800stat and this filler, otherwise I'd consider the modified fiero housing with low temp fiero stat.

I'm going to see how this setup works for now, and if I have any issues with it, I'm switching over for sure.

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Ohio86Se I think i have some pics of some of my setup from before my camera died... if you let me know what exactly you need ill see if i can find it... As for hoses i dont have pics of those... the camera had its unfortunate accident before i could take any...

JncoMutt... What plastic elbows? I have part numbers for hoses that work for passanger side with NO moddification but shortening and the other side only needs 4" of the old v6 metal tube spliced in.

PFF
System Bot
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
are you happy with your current hose setup? i was just wondering why you were asking about other hose arrangements

im not using a modified fiero housing. im going to route my heater hose to the 3800sc stock location in the intake and the water pump port. i will be using the stock 3800sc thermostat housing with modified filler connection in the radiator hose.

------------------

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
I responded to your PM like a weekago fieromaster88, i do want those springs, please shoot me a PM back.

matthew

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Ohio86SE... Happy is an understatement for the passenger side setup... the hose seems like it was MADE for the application. It snakes around my alternator PERFECT! (or AC if you have it). Driver side is great too. I was thinking of welding a support to the small piece of stock steel Fiero hose that i cut to join the hose with a left over piece from passenger side to make it long enough to work. Then i could connect the hose to the cradle so it wouldnt have much movement. However with the stock 3800 housing you may not even NEED that piece of Fiero steel tubing... cause your setup will be lower then mine is. I stuck with the Fiero housing because coolant passes through throttle body and supercharger (until i get intercooler when it will block off those lines) making them the highest point in system and prone to trap air bubbles. I wanted a fill point that is most deffinetly the high point in the system and the way to get that is the modded fiero housing.

If you would like your more then welcome to come up here and check out the car... i cant be more then an hour from you im sure... According to YAHOO its 1 hour 23 minutes but if you take rt 76 to rt 44 and stay on it headed north youll hit my road.

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
pm sent

------------------

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

JncoMutt... What plastic elbows? I have part numbers for hoses that work for passanger side with NO moddification but shortening and the other side only needs 4" of the old v6 metal tube spliced in.

The stock plastic elbows that connect into the water pump and into the intake. The stock Fiero rear heater hose is just about perfect, just had to hack off about 2". As far as the intake one, I just used universal heater hose tubing to make the connection... The plastic elbows are held in place with brackets fabricated from aluminum, I don't see a problem forming, but its not tough to change designs...

Here is the WP side, I'll get a pic of the intake one later...

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Jncomutt

8899 posts
Member since Apr 2001
As far as the 84 goes, I didn't get the coolent done today. My lower pass side hose didn't work out right (was just a junk hose I had layin around to mock up, gonna end up going with whatever fieromaster used I hope..)

I did get it powered up today tho. Was nice to see that stuff like the horn, guages, hvac, etc still worked. I had swapped over an entire harness from an 87 into the chassis, front HL harness from an 88, and the tail light harness is 86, lol... Also, when I turned the key to ON, the fuel pump primed! lol, that was a big step forward for me. After having pulled every single wire from this car, and "Patching" a harness together, then creating the engine harness, I didn't know what was going to happen. Its good to see that something actually works,

EDIT... Is this the coolent hose you used?

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 10-28-2005).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2005 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Yeah that looks like the hose i used for the water pump side...

It should have one side with a larger opening then the other correct? If so thats it. Looks like it. Gets cut off about where the label is in pic. I think the part numbers i used are in this thread ill have to do some back checking... but they are the exact ones i got.

Ill check into that tommorow morning.. its 4am and im dead tired.. lol... 2nd shift sux

[This message has been edited by The Fieromaster (edited 10-29-2005).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2005 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Ill check into that tommorow morning.. its 4am and im dead tired.. lol... 2nd shift sux

Wuss....

Where are the pictuers??????????????????????????????????????????

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2005 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
well if criag brings the fiero today to work on my swap we will be sure to get some pics and video with the dvd cam
Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
So what are the part numbers for the hoses you are using?

Yeah that looks like the hose i used for the water pump side...

It should have one side with a larger opening then the other correct? If so thats it. Looks like it. Gets cut off about where the label is in pic. I think the part numbers i used are in this thread ill have to do some back checking... but they are the exact ones i got.

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Loyde says Hose Number XL1023, but my local parts chain doesn't have it or a cross reference for it..
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Sorry guys ill get the part numbers for ya ASAP... Halloween kicked my but... so different havin a kid to take rather then bein the kid.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Heres an update (and bump) showing the brackets to hold the coolent elbows..

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 11-04-2005).]

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
i think that pulley at back of the engine will be hitting the fiero firewall ?

------------------

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Loyde got it to work...

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
You can get it to work but you have to cut the bottom of the trunk hinge mount.
DRLGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRLGTPSend a Private Message to DRLGTPDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Loyde got it to work...

Loyde also broke several idler pulleys on that car in Michigan. I don't think he is using that setup anymore.

[This message has been edited by DRLGTP (edited 11-04-2005).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

You are correct and the bracket needs to be changed out with the GTP style. Someone on CGP will swap you for it more than likely.

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Or you could call Ed Morad.. im sure he has them.

Im going to be making a STEEL dog bone mount because the aluminum tears when used as a dogbone/tensioner bracket... if anyone is interested i may offer these for SALE too...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock