Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  What's Up at Archie's (Page 57)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 59 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59 
Previous Page | Next Page
What's Up at Archie's by Archie
Started on: 12-28-2002 01:35 PM
Replies: 2332
Last post by: revin on 02-18-2009 09:08 AM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

If an existing kit is able to be modified to work then why can't a "from scratch" built kit be made?

Because, businesses who have tried can't be trusted or stay in business long enough to produce them as, "100% bolt-on" and as Archie previously mentioned, it comes down to the price. Trust me on this one; I've seen the price range from $1500 to $2400 installed and at the $1700 range people complained. Good that Archie and CPU are video tapping the process for individuals with “skills” can perform the task and thus cut-down on the labor.
IP: Logged
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
So basicallly it all boils down to price and or patents? I like Dr. CPU's idea of contacting the manufacturer and seeing if they are willing to make them.

The fact that Archie is putting all this together is a testament to his loyalty to the Fiero community and I appreciate his effort. My interest in this stems from the fact that I would like lambo doors on my car once it's choped. I, like most Fiero owners, want things as cheap as possible also. I don't mind getting my hands dirty but the easier the better. And I have alsways been the type that thinks...if you want it bad enough then price does'nt matter.

Thanks for the input.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

So basicallly it all boils down to price and or patents? I like Dr. CPU's idea of contacting the manufacturer and seeing if they are willing to make them.

Thanks for the input.

IMHO the heart of the problem is Fiero owners. How so? VDI make kits for cars that aren't in production. If they can make kits for cars that are out of production they in-turn could produce a kit for Fiero’s, but it's the owners who aren't willing to pay for the price involved for tooling. Patents are last on the list since VDI would re-coup their money for tooling. That said, VDI cash cows are current production or mass-produced imports.

As for contacting the company- CPU's has a great idea and I hope it works, but due to the low volume I doubt it will ever happen. I tried this route in 2002 at the height of the industry, still no takers and the ones that did jump were piss-poor knock-offs based upon a Decah kit. Decah in turn sued knock-off companies (including VDI) who's kits where based upon Decah's patents. Decah and VDI settled out of court and thus part of the agreement VDI was allow using the existing patents. VDI in-turn re-tweaked the kit.

Now VDI is one of the major players with tons of cash to go after all other companies who are using their design based upon original and updated patents. Only a few companies who started from scratch and are still in business such-as; LSD (a very high-end VDC kit @ $2400-3k not installed).

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Good work fellas. I am eagerly awaiting the video!. I simply ended up pulling my Xtreme-door hinges off and reverting to stock hinges when I could not get mine to work right.

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association
Yellow 85 Notchback(A.K.A. GodFearN)

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eclipse:

Good work fellas. I am eagerly awaiting the video!. I simply ended up pulling my Xtreme-door hinges off and reverting to stock hinges when I could not get mine to work right.

Well we finished up the install on Dave's car yesterday. Dave already has almost all the video completed, we're just waiting for it to stop raining so we can take a final "Happy DrCPU" video then h will complete the video tonight. I'll post it up tomorrow sometime.

BTW, they turned out great.

Archie
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Just curious Archie do you guys need the car there to do the proper modifications to the hinges ?

In another words could you guys possibly modify the hinges and then ship them off to be installed by the owner ?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Just curious Archie do you guys need the car there to do the proper modifications to the hinges ?

In another words could you guys possibly modify the hinges and then ship them off to be installed by the owner ?

We would need a car to fit them to. Because of posible crash damage to a car in it's history a set of hinges fitted to one car might not be a perfect fit to another car.

If you know what I maen?

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eclipse:

I have started a new thread with the Video of the hinge install. Someone can post up links to the previous details of Dave's build including discussion of the previous set of hinges, the hinge failure etc.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/094708.html#p0

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 09-07-2008).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

BTW, they turned out great.

Archie

No doubt... I love what you did to my doors.
Bozzie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieDirect Link to This Post
that looks GREAT !!!! Im just wondering thou, with just one hinge point , ive seen a few vdi setups and the doors always seem to be wobbly when closed. Just how solid is the door when closed?

thanks
rick

------------------
http://i252.photobucket.com...ec/2007_12240001.jpg

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bozzie:

the doors always seem to be wobbly when closed. Just how solid is the door when closed?

thanks
rick

I haven't noticed that at all.
PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2008 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoTech: "And what about the Solstice?"

It's getting an LS3 in about a week.

I may have missed something, but I was wondering what's the latest with the Solstice?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2008 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

I may have missed something, but I was wondering what's the latest with the Solstice?

We have a new LS3 in the Solstice. I have an appointment in a few weeks to take it to TN & get a plug & play wire harness designed & built for it.

Then I'm gonna build a few LS3 cars for customers.

Archie
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2008 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post

Then I'm gonna build a few LS3 cars for customers.

Archie

Would that be LS3 Fieros or LS3 Solstices
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
what is up at Archies?
any updates?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2008 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Archie any new communications or pictures from the grey choptop owner out in Washington ??
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
What's the latest news with Fierobobo's LS3? Any pics?
85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump archie.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
?????????????????????????????????????? update bump!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2008 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

?????????????????????????????????????? update bump!

Monthly bump update.
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2008 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenDirect Link to This Post
Is the G6 tranny the only non stock fiero tranny you use in V8 swaps? It seems to be somewhat costly, but I'm not sure about the 400 hp range on a stock fiero tranny.
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Archie with Troy's car winding down, do you think you will have time to finish your own choptop build ?
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post

Archie with Troy's car winding down, do you think you will have time to finish your own choptop build ?

.....or any Solstice updates!
Spune

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2008 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpuneSend a Private Message to SpuneDirect Link to This Post
Bump for updates!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2009 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Nostalgic exuberance bump.

Any pics of Fierobobo's fiero?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
Archie i got the CD and the shirts this morning !

Great packaging !!

The car arrived safely with no problems,...it looks great !!

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 01-23-2009).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2009 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Pretty quiet on the Forum, everyone's feet must be frozen to the floor.

Can't wait 'til Spring.

SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2009 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
WOW Archie!!
Nice hatch! You gonna be offering that up as a regular part?

------------------
Order your Official Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html
Other decal, poster, banner, floor graphic needs, go here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074429.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion pushing 350 ponies!!

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2009 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
That's the plan right now.

Archie

Originally posted by SAFASTRO:

WOW Archie!!
Nice hatch! You gonna be offering that up as a regular part?

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Are you guys going with the same type of venting that madcurl used on #20 ?

I am not so sure this particular mod isn't maximized from a visual standpoint unless it is chopped ?

Maybe it is just me ? At any rate great job !
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Are you guys going with the same type of venting that madcurl used on #20 ?

I am not so sure this particular mod isn't maximized from a visual standpoint unless it is chopped ?

Maybe it is just me ? At any rate great job !

We would hope to have a couple of different venting options.

You chop top guys are all the same.

If it isn't chopped then the design isn't maximized.

Archie
PFF
System Bot
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Archie, could you show a side view at a level where the hatch shows its curvature in relationship with the trailing edges of the stock Fiero buttress

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 02-05-2009).]

McNasty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McNastySend a Private Message to McNastyDirect Link to This Post
stupid question but here goes
could a LS3 be fitted to an automatic?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

Archie, could you show a side view at a level where the hatch shows its curvature in relationship with the trailing edges of the stock Fiero buttress

Sure, it looks pretty good from the side, I'll take some pics of that tomorrow.

Archie
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I like the hatch but I cant help but think the window looks upside down.
DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
I love the hatch. Cant wait to get one!
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
...snip.... Any pics of Fierobobo's fiero? ...snip...

Your wish is my command. I exist to serve only YOU.

Oops, sorry, that what I tell my darling wife. Any how, as per your request Curly.

Archie took the pic 1/8/09. I kinda like the way she looks, sporty but not too flashy.
And kind of a "Stealth" vehicle, you can't hardly see that nice little LS3 engine.

~Bob
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBobo:

Archie took the pic 1/8/09. I kinda like the way she looks, sporty but not too flashy.
And kind of a "Stealth" vehicle, you can't hardly see that nice little LS3 engine.

~Bob

Sorry I couldn't resist... I like them chopped, dropped, and smoothed.

FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Sorry I couldn't resist... I like them chopped, dropped, and smoothed.

JScott. Thanks for the pic. I've already copied it to my hard disk.
You've given me some food for thought. Maybe in a year or two I'll bring her back to Archie for the Chop-Top and the F40 6-speed.

~Bob
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Sure, it looks pretty good from the side, I'll take some pics of that tomorrow.

Archie

thanks!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 59 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock