Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Convertible Fiero...Fantasy or Reality (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Convertible Fiero...Fantasy or Reality by blkcofy
Started on: 09-08-2007 10:03 PM
Replies: 47
Last post by: 8Ball on 09-16-2007 09:08 PM
blkcofy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkcofySend a Private Message to blkcofyDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure folks have seen this photo before. It's one of the more stunning convertibles that was ever fabricated (humble opinion).

Does anyone know who's car this is....or more importantly, if anyone out there is still able to do convertible conversions on Fieros?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post
It belongs to GM. The picture is from the 20th Anniversary Show in 2003. It was one of nine prototypes on display. It was supposed to be a 1989 or 1990 offering from Pontiac. But then they cancelled the Fiero.
Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
There is a white homebrew convertible one identicle to that one around here. I know where it is parked during work hours, but I've never met the owner. I left him a card with my phone # and the pff adress and he never showed up here or contacted me. I'll try and snag some pictures next time i'm out that way and track down the owner.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Here's the same car at the GM Heritage museum a couple of falls ago...

Bob
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

This was a convertible that was around, however this is where it is now.

There were kits around back in the 80s and there maybe one or two in some storage area under some dust.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
What happened to the white one? Not something you would just part out unless there is a reason the rear bumpers gone.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

What happened to the white one? Not something you would just part out unless there is a reason the rear bumpers gone.

It was rear-ended and tweaked the frame bad enough that it wasn't fixable.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

It was rear-ended

No doubt from admirers who wanted a "closer look".
blkcofy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blkcofySend a Private Message to blkcofyDirect Link to This Post

Does anyone know if any of these kits are hiding anywhere. I know it a long shot to even think that the GM kit or even the cool kit used by Automoda would still exist after so long...but I can't think of a sexier ride than a convertible fiero...especially with an LS4 tucked under the trunk. Based on the archived threads, fabricating the frame for the convertible was not an easy thing to do. But can you imagine a Archie widebody chop top convertible w/ gullwing or lambo doors?! I'm starting to feel faint....

Anybody out there with photoshop skills to bring this wet dream to pictorial fantasy?
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
Go to this page, click on the first movie and you will see tstroud and I taking a convertible for a drive.

http://www.fieronews.net/fu...nloads.php?cat_id=11

------------------
Central Iowa Fieros aka. Airspeed, at fieronews.net and ferrarichat.com

PFF
System Bot
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Best advice I can offer is good luck and keep your chin up. There are still Automada kits out there, but I have not found one yet and I have been looking for 6 years. Every once in a blue moon someone on here will chime in that they bought one, but it is a rare experiance.
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
Look at this convertable on Ebay. Looks good W/O the top...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...em=150160197150&rd=1
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:

Best advice I can offer is good luck and keep your chin up. There are still Automada kits out there, but I have not found one yet and I have been looking for 6 years. Every once in a blue moon someone on here will chime in that they bought one, but it is a rare experiance.

Here's mine... it only took me 14 years to make my Automoda conversion happen. Had been interested and looking since I got my first Fiero in 1990, and in 2004, I bought a kit that V8Archie had found on eBay a couple years earlier and had it installed by Kris, Rob and Archie at Archie's shop in the Chicago area about three years ago or so...

Click on the links in the signature for more pics...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here* (click either link for pics)

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 09-11-2007).]

ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post

I've been trying to get this one for a while
RustyFormula

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2007 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RustyFormulaSend a Private Message to RustyFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blkcofy:

Does anyone know if any of these kits are hiding anywhere. I know it a long shot to even think that the GM kit or even the cool kit used by Automoda would still exist after so long...but I can't think of a sexier ride than a convertible fiero...especially with an LS4 tucked under the trunk. Based on the archived threads, fabricating the frame for the convertible was not an easy thing to do. But can you imagine a Archie widebody chop top convertible w/ gullwing or lambo doors?! I'm starting to feel faint....

Anybody out there with photoshop skills to bring this wet dream to pictorial fantasy?

if you're in cincy i'd check that dealer who sold them in ohio. i'm sure he dosen't have anymore, but it might be a way to track one down. that's kinda how i got mine. a guy who moved here from ohio and brought the car with him, then eventually put it up for sale here.

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

It was rear-ended and tweaked the frame bad enough that it wasn't fixable.

Do you know where its at now?
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
It was at the Fiero Factory when I took that photo at this years swap meet. www.thefierofactory.com
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

It was at the Fiero Factory when I took that photo at this years swap meet. www.thefierofactory.com

Yep. It's been sitting there for several years now. Really sad.....it was a nice car and the guy who owned it was a very nice guy too. I am horrible with names, but I believe his first name was Dave (last name escapes me). Evidently, when it was hit in the rear it essentially folded in the middle (think "V" shaped, but not quite that pronounced).
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
Home made one on ebay. Hard top. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
PFF
System Bot
BekaintaFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BekaintaFunkSend a Private Message to BekaintaFunkDirect Link to This Post
how about that purple-ish pink-ish one that was at Daytona 07? i know Jerrys got a picture of it... it looked nicely done.
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BekaintaFunk:

how about that purple-ish pink-ish one that was at Daytona 07? i know Jerrys got a picture of it... it looked nicely done.

See the above pictured silver GT convertible......same car. How do I know? It used to be mine!

------------------

RustyFormula

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2007 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RustyFormulaSend a Private Message to RustyFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BekaintaFunk:

This one?

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
Do you know where its at now?

Jake,
Last info I had on the car was it was traded to Jeremy B. Jeremy and I talked about it coming to KY but honestly, it was more work than I was capable of handling. Also, it is not a convertible, it's a roadster, no top as I remember, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. There may have been some kind of canvas top for it but I never saw it and it definately wasn't a fold down convertible. The car wasn't actually rear ended, the previous owner got out of the car whle it was on a pretty steep incline, I guess he forgot the he was in neutral and the brake wasn't apparently on but regardless, the car rolled down the drive and into a ditch or hole or something. Pretty well bent the chassis. The rear fascia was messed up. Again, I beleive the rear fascia could be transferred to another car but it is going to take some elbow grease and money to bring it back to what it was. It was a B & B Spyder conversion as I remember.

------------------
Ron

Never, never do anything or wear things that you don't want to have to explain to Paramedics, it can get very embarassing. They talk!

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
There ya go. I knew that's what happened, but it has been so long I forgot. I just figured it was rear ended. Anyway......convertible, roadster, cabriolet, drop head coupe.....take your pick. All are essentially the same thing. Some people split hairs over this......much like the definition of a sports car (that'll start a flame war in a hurry! ).

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Ahh, I had a chance to buy the fiberglass molds B&B uses.
Too bad about the car it was nice looking, I think its the white paint.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Here's mine... it only took me 14 years to make my Automoda conversion happen. Had been interested and looking since I got my first Fiero in 1990, and in 2004, I bought a kit that V8Archie had found on eBay a couple years earlier and had it installed by Kris, Rob and Archie at Archie's shop in the Chicago area about three years ago or so...

LZeitgeist,
I have to be honest with ya, that is one beautiful car. I'd love to replicate it. I'd probably want a 3800SC II but, it one one the nicest I've seen. Very Classy Ride!

------------------
Ron

Never, never do anything or wear things that you don't want to have to explain to Paramedics, it can get very embarassing. They talk!

johnnyride

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnnyrideSend a Private Message to johnnyrideDirect Link to This Post
Did someone say they liked white convertibles?? I've been working on this one since 2001. This is how it looked a few years back. I'll pull it out of the garage and get some pics this weekend.

[This message has been edited by johnnyride (edited 09-12-2007).]

italian90

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2007 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for italian90Send a Private Message to italian90Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blkcofy:

I'm sure folks have seen this photo before. It's one of the more stunning convertibles that was ever fabricated (humble opinion).

Does anyone know who's car this is....or more importantly, if anyone out there is still able to do convertible conversions on Fieros?

nice
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnnyride:
I'll pull it out of the garage and get some pics this weekend.

Please do
I think white cars just look good, not tops even look better.
PFF
System Bot
87convert

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertDirect Link to This Post
Personally I am kind of partial to silver and I like the coupe style better as a conv. Mine is in this thread just past 1/2 way down

Rolland

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-1-046385.html
AnimalGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AnimalGTSend a Private Message to AnimalGTDirect Link to This Post
I have the top from the car that Jeremy had at the Fiero Factory. After some extensive research; it's either an Automoda (which I doubt) or a B&B Spyder copy of an Automoda top (most likely). The top has a targa center section that folds in the center. It also folds down behind the seats in the former B pillar area like the Automoda top. (In short it functions like an Automoda top at least.) It was designed for a coupe, and I'm putting it on a fastback. I finished a chassis rotisserie for the project this summer. At this rate it'll be about 2-3 years before the top is installed on the donor chassis and ready for recovering. I'm planning on integrating the frame bracing into the chassis rocker area and the center hump, hence the chassis rotisserie. I'm putting the top on a southern, rust free 1988 chassis, and I'm mocking it up on early chassis (so I don't muck up the clean 88 chassis). All these considerations mean that the project is taking many, many hours, but I want it done right the first time. I will provide pics when the there is enough progress to merit it.
Scott

[This message has been edited by AnimalGT (edited 09-12-2007).]

johnnyride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnnyrideSend a Private Message to johnnyrideDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AnimalGT:

I have the top from the car that Jeremy had at the Fiero Factory. After some extensive research; it's either an Automoda (which I doubt) or a B&B Spyder copy of an Automoda top (most likely). The top has a targa center section that folds in the center. It also folds down behind the seats in the former B pillar area like the Automoda top. (In short it functions like an Automoda top at least.) It was designed for a coupe, and I'm putting it on a fastback. I finished a chassis rotisserie for the project this summer. At this rate it'll be about 2-3 years before the top is installed on the donor chassis and ready for recovering. I'm planning on integrating the frame bracing into the chassis rocker area and the center hump, hence the chassis rotisserie. I'm putting the top on a southern, rust free 1988 chassis, and I'm mocking it up on early chassis (so I don't muck up the clean 88 chassis). All these considerations mean that the project is taking many, many hours, but I want it done right the first time. I will provide pics when the there is enough progress to merit it.
Scott

That top you have sounds like one of the Florida produced cars from that Ohio car dealership.

johnnyride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnnyrideSend a Private Message to johnnyrideDirect Link to This Post

johnnyride

326 posts
Member since Feb 2002

Originally posted by 87convert:

Personally I am kind of partial to silver and I like the coupe style better as a conv. Mine is in this thread just past 1/2 way down

Rolland

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-1-046385.html

Nice car. I like the coupe look too. My car has a full top, which is much different than yours. It's an LA Machine's top. It looks good when it's up, but it is tall behind your head when it's down.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AnimalGT:
Scott

Scott,
Kudos to you for doing the project, I'm sure it'll turn out fantastic. Obviously, I wasn't listening close enough when Jeremy was telling me about the top or lack there of. Sounds like a great project, keep us posted.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 09-13-2007).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
The Holland Pontiac cars are easy to spot. They have rear fender caps and a cable/pulley system to raise and lower the top from the B-pillar area. They came in targa (2 piece) and full convertible versions.

J.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
LZeitgeist,
I have to be honest with ya, that is one beautiful car. I'd love to replicate it. I'd probably want a 3800SC II but, it one one the nicest I've seen. Very Classy Ride!

Thank you, very much! I'm truly lucky to have it.

Someday it will be painted Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here* (click either link for pics)

AnimalGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AnimalGTSend a Private Message to AnimalGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnnyride:

That top you have sounds like one of the Florida produced cars from that Ohio car dealership.

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

The Holland Pontiac cars are easy to spot. They have rear fender caps and a cable/pulley system to raise and lower the top from the B-pillar area. They came in targa (2 piece) and full convertible versions.

J.

I haven't been able to positively ID the top's manufacturer, but from this info, I believe it may be a Holland Pontiac top then. It has the cables to keep the top even when raising and lowering it. It also has a targa-style center section. It's a simple but effective mechanism. It could be replicated relatively easily if you had access to a well staffed and equipped machine shop. When the project progresses I'll post some specs.
Scott

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure that Chris in Indiana built the maroon/ silver one about 6 years ago. It had a Northstar V8. The maroon candyapple paint was gorgeous.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock