Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  LZeitgeist's Automoda Formula - finished pics (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
LZeitgeist's Automoda Formula - finished pics by LZeitgeist
Started on: 10-20-2004 12:02 PM
Replies: 78
Last post by: LZeitgeist on 05-07-2006 08:43 AM
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Very nice!

Rob D.

------------------

The Dirty Rat
Chopped, dropped and just plain NASTY! Choptop Targa #1
383 Stroker MPFI with N2O
1" Drop
3" Chop
11" Brakes
19" Motegi Roja's wrapped in BFGoodrich Gforce T/A KDW-2 rubber
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated Jan 21 '04 www.dirtyratracing.org

The Aura

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
Looks as factory as it can get... a non-fiero fan would probably never know it was a conversion.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
I am checking out of this thread... too much sinning...

"thou shalt not covet thy neighbors posessions..."

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
This is an original Automoda Conversion Kit purchased from V8 Archie (who got it from eBay about three years ago), and installed by Rob, Kris and Archie at Archie's shop in Illinois. I wasn't fond of the Automoda underframing, so I had a custom reinforcement job done at a racing shop in Tennessee with the help of John Watson in Tennga, Georgia.

Originally posted by The Aura:
Looks as factory as it can get... a non-fiero fan would probably never know it was a conversion.

Wow... that's the highest compliment I can possibly imagine. Thank you!

I've even gone so far as to purchase required items like the third brake light and the lighted rear-view mirror from a 1988 Pontiac Sunbird convertible, since if the factory had built this Fiero this way in 1988, those are the parts that would have been available for them to use. I removed the rocker switches from the lighted rear-view mirror, filled the holes and rewired it to utilize the original Fiero maplight switches in the cut-down upper console I modified to fit. I also rewired the circuit from the four light (two dome lights and two maplights) system to a two light system (each maplight in the mirror comes on separately when the appropriate button is pressed, but when the door is opened or dashlight dimmer switch is activated, both maplights come on in conjunction with the under-dash courtesy lights).

I used hex-mesh that duplicated the look, style and size of the mesh in the dash defroster vents to fill the Automoda decklid grilles, and I created room inside the seat headrests for the 4"x6" B-pillar speakers to fit in behind the fabric. I also cross-wired the rear speakers to provide better stereo effect against the output of the front speakers. The headrests are non-perforated (but still quite adequately acoustically transparent) so they appear completely stock in appearance.

Getting it to be as '1988 Pontiac OEM Believable' as possible was always my goal - I'm thrilled that that was achieved.

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 10-20-2004).]

intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
Why can't I see anything?

just lines like this:

-

-

-

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by intlcutlass:

Why can't I see anything?

just lines like this:

-

-

-

I'm not sure - are you on a dialup or broadband connection? (BTW, apologies to dial-up users.... I hope the pics are worth the wait time for you.)

The pics are between 75-85K each - you may have to 'right click' in the approximate area of where the top left corner of the pic would be and see if you can get them to load up individually... I'm not sure why they wouldn't be showing up. They're standard .jpg's...

PFF
System Bot
roys88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for roys88fieroClick Here to visit roys88fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to roys88fieroDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Best of ALL worlds.........convertible, targa, and hardtop............Daddy like!
-Roy

------------------
Real Sports cars only have 2 seats....

Matching numbers GT
#17889 of 26,402 made in 1988, 1of 241 yellow GT's

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Aura:

DITTO

MtVilla

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MtVillaSend a Private Message to MtVillaDirect Link to This Post
One of the nicest Fiero's I love that top ! MtVilla
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
SWEET !!! I thought about making a convertable, but with no roof. haha NEVER could I even come up with one so nice as that ! I think I WON"T even try now!!

Any pics of just the roof frame?

------------------

98 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. only one around Austin Texas !

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, everybody! After all the compliments, I'll have to put the top down just to get my big head into the car. ::chuckle::

Originally posted by revin:
Any pics of just the roof frame?

The fabric was already attached to the roof framing, so I don't have any clear 'engineering-style' pics of the top framing mechanism itself.

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Looks great. I agree that this is one of the best "Factory" looking installs. Of all the converts I've seen, the automoda is the ONLY way to go.
It's a shame archie didn't reverse engineer these.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Awsome car. I wish they sold that as an actual model in 88... I'd LOVE to have one of those...

Enjoy your sweet ride!

------------------

intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
Now I really want to see it..... Someone email the pics to me! please!

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:
Looks great. I agree that this is one of the best "Factory" looking installs. Of all the converts I've seen, the automoda is the ONLY way to go.
It's a shame archie didn't reverse engineer these.

Thank you, everybody... I agree about this being the 'only way to go' for me - I've felt exactly that way since 1990 when I first discovered the kits. But before I could finagle a loan to get the work done, the company had already been put out of business.

And I agree - it's a shame that Archie didn't get the chance to reproduce these. But, given the wistful look in his eye upon completion of the installation, his interest may very well have been renewed.

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Very Nice.

I remember that you had told me that you wanted the finished product to look like it was factory produced.

I think you've succeeded 100%.

Archie

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Very Nice.

I remember that you had told me that you wanted the finished product to look like it was factory produced.

I think you've succeeded 100%.

Archie

Thanks, Archie, very much.

I definitely couldn't have done it without you, Kris and Rob.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
But you coulda had a V8.

------------------

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Patrick,

That is, without a doubt, the most sanitary convertible installation I have ever seen. Ever.

Congrats on your ride, and kudos to Archie and company. They did a great job.

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
But you coulda had a V8.

LOL! Yes, I could have, but I prefer to have my hair blown off by the wind, not the horsepower.

BTW, when you bring your car up to Archie's to get your engine, give me plenty of advance notice, 'cuz I want to get back up there and hang out for another week.

Originally posted by Raydar:
Patrick,
That is, without a doubt, the most sanitary convertible installation I have ever seen. Ever.

Wow! Thank you - I'm definitely gonna have to put the top down tomorrow to get this swelled head in the car.

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 10-21-2004).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Patrick,

Everything I've seen Patrick do with his Formula has been based on the premise of "OEM Believability." The untrained eye should not be able to tell the factory didn't do it this way. Most of the subtle touches people would miss. The factory '88 third brake light from an '88 Sunbird convertible (see above), the lighted power window switches, even the OEM CD radio from an early 90's car so it better matches the rest of the interior.

Pontiac would have had a hard time delivering a convertible Fiero as well thought out.

And as for Archie's work.... all I can say is after seeing this car in person and riding in it, I would have no qualms letting Archie do anything to my Fiero.

------------------

moto838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for moto838Send a Private Message to moto838Direct Link to This Post
Words fail.
Joe
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
Now,that's the way it should be done!
James Bondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James BondoSend a Private Message to James BondoDirect Link to This Post
That's pretty slick looking. How is the sound inside with the top up?
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again, everybody... I'm glad to have finally found sometime to get some of the pics I have 'presentable' and upload them for posting.

Now I just need to find the time to do the same with the rest of the pics to create a 'build thread'.

The wind noise isn't bad at all - the roof panels are actually aluminum/steel (covered with fabric to match the soft parts of the top), and with the general shape of the design, there's no 'windtunnel' effect pulling/bulging/flapping the fabric like is sometimes seen lifting the roof fabric on some other types of convertibles. Even driving it in 'targa mode' at highway speeds isn't a problem. It's been difficult to get an air-tight seal along the rearmost edges of the door glass, though - the rubber strip has to be soft enough to give to provide a seal, but firm/smooth enough to not hinder the movement of the glass when rolling up the windows with the doors shut. Still pokin' around with that, but it'll come.

It's taken me some time, trial and error to locate and reduce various slight rattles/squeaks in the top mechanism, but it's pretty darn quiet now.

PFF
System Bot
fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post
Very nice car! Me likey a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bondo:

That's pretty slick looking. How is the sound inside with the top up?

What is this "top up" thing you speak of?

SNMFX

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2004 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SNMFXClick Here to visit SNMFX's HomePageSend a Private Message to SNMFXDirect Link to This Post
Nice Car.

My GT is the original car Onfrio Scaddutto made into a convertible in 1988 for Pontiac for the 1988 GM auto show in Anaheim, CA. The convertible was supposed to be a factory option by 1990. Of course this never happened! He made about 15 kits which were sold through the Automoda name brand. Your car looks beautiful. Kinda reminds me of mine! Mine was also braced with steel tubing while the body was completely off the car, unlike the very poor automoda bracing that came with the kit. Love the pics!

------------------

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2004 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Nice job on the conversion !!!

------------------

Car History: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

Automoda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2004 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutomodaSend a Private Message to AutomodaDirect Link to This Post
The funny thing is that if you're used to a normal Fiero, you're used to a certain duck-n-twist to quickly get into or out of the car. It just comes naturally to Fiero owners. Yet when you start driving the convertible a lot, you start getting out of practice and take for granted the fact that you can skip the duck and only do the twist. I swear someday I'm going to bash my face into the roof when I have it up!

The only thing that would be hard to reproduce on the Automoda kit would be the main arch. They were made by a steel forging company-- they took a piece of thick angle iron, heated it up a whole lot, and pulled it down across a template. They hated doing it because it was always in small batches. I think it could be faked with a torch, but it would add a lot of pain-in-the-ass to the process of reproducing the kit. -- which makes me think... the patent on that kit is probably expired ;o)

------------------

87 Quad 4 HO convertible

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Automoda:
I think it could be faked with a torch, but it would add a lot of pain-in-the-ass to the process of reproducing the kit. -- which makes me think... the patent on that kit is probably expired ;o)

Yeah, but who's got an Automoda kit to tear apart to reverse-engineer?

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep this from falling off the end of the Forum...
LordBoOsT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LordBoOsTSend a Private Message to LordBoOsTDirect Link to This Post
COOL!
BDF88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BDF88GTSend a Private Message to BDF88GTDirect Link to This Post
Wow... that is awesome. You're in raleigh? I live about 45 mins away. I would love to head out that way and check it out sometime.
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LordBoOsT:

COOL!

:: blush :: Thanks...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page