Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Automoda convertible and/or kit owners, PLEASE READ!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Automoda convertible and/or kit owners, PLEASE READ! by LZeitgeist
Started on: 08-10-2003 09:39 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: LZeitgeist on 08-19-2003 12:26 AM
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
I just acquired a set of Automoda conversion parts for my Formula - I acquired the pieces in a 'loose' fashion from someone who got them from someone else on eBay, etc... what I received is the following:

• manually-operated top mechanism (fabric attached)
  • fabric-covered targa panels and 8 Dzus-style fasteners/retaining rings
  • pressed aluminum header panel
  • fiberglass-molded replacement engine grilles
  • rubber weatherstripping for windshield header
  • coupe-styled fiberglass-molded replacement rear fender tops
  • underbody reinforcement frame (non-'X' style) with two loose additional small sections
  • Cleco set/pliers

O.K., never having seen with my own eyes a fresh, sealed-in-box Automoda convertible conversion kit, I have a few questions:

• Do the sealed-in-box original Automoda kits come with an assembly/instruction/installation manual? Does anyone have one? May I beg/borrow/purchase a copy of this manual, if it exists?
  • Is there also an original Automoda installation video? May I beg/borrow/purchase a copy of this video, if it exists?
  • Were there any cutting templates that came with the kit/instructions? Beg/borrow/purchase copies?
  • Were there different top mechanism assemblies for the 'fastback' and 'notchback' body styles? (There is a curve along the outermost edge of the sail panel assembly that I wasn't expecting to see, and it doesn't match up with the adjoining area of the supplied fender top pieces - is this something where the fender needs to be trimmed to fit after the top mechanism is installed?) Did the previous owner receive a mis-matched set - notchback fender pieces and a GT-specific top assembly?
  • When the targa panels are attached to the top assembly, the outermost corners of the targa panels stick out beyond the downward curve of the top assembly (where the top rear corner of the door glass would be)... how is this intended to be reshaped/bent downward to match the lines of the top mechanism without damaging the fabric covering the targa panels?
  • Are there other parts of the original sealed-in-box Automoda kits that I am missing? (Parts not listed that are being mailed to me by the seller are the reshaped cap for the center console, and a set of instructions of some sort made after-the-fact by a second party, *not* instructions offered by Automoda.)
  • During installation, were there panels/brackets that you needed to fabricate yourself, or were all such parts (if any existed) included with the kit?
  • The videotapes I've seen show an automatically-operated (hydraulic? pneumatic?) top mechanism... mine is manually-operated. Is mine an exception, or are the automatic versions considered to be 'prototypes' that were discontinued before actual consumer release?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance, and I look forward to joining your ranks.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula
- 1st Place - Stock Coupe - FOCOSEVA 2000
- 3rd Place - Stock Formula - FOCOA Nat'l 2001
- Class Winner - 1982 to Present - Tarheel Tigers All-Pontiac Show 2001
- Class Winner - Fiero: All Years - Tarheel Tigers All-Pontiac Show 2002
(hopefully to be a convertable soon)

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 08-10-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Also, I would *love* it if people would post pics of their conversion details... things like where the top fabric meets the fender panel, interior finishing details, pics taken throughout cutting/assembling - whatever someone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula
- 1st Place - Stock Coupe - FOCOSEVA 2000
- 3rd Place - Stock Formula - FOCOA Nat'l 2001
- Class Winner - 1982 to Present - Tarheel Tigers All-Pontiac Show 2001
- Class Winner - Fiero: All Years - Tarheel Tigers All-Pontiac Show 2002
(Automoda convertible conversion in the works)

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

In this pic, it appears there is some curve along the bottom of the top on this 88 coupe.

Also, if I remember, the purple N* Fiero that Chris Moore built also is an Automoda convertible. Surely there are lots of pics of it, both with the top up and down.

Here's a view of Chris Moore's car so you can compare a GT conversion.

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
That's a good start...

And yes, the one that used to belong to Chris Moore is definitely an Automoda conversion... I can't believe that I wasn't wearing out my digital camera with pics of it at the Nationals in Williamsburg a couple years ago. (But, back then, I had no idea that my dream would be coming true at this stage in the game...)

Are there any members in the North Carolina area with an Automoda conversion?

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
A pic of Automoda's car - link is listed below:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030204-2-021763.html https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030531-2-024583.html https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/029139.html https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/032218.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20010924-2-009267.html (This one is interesting, because someone mentions Phil Huff about to release a batch of Automoda style "kits." It never happened to my knowledge)

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 08-10-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 08-10-2003).]

1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I love mrfiero's convertible, did I tell everybody yet? He gave me a 70 mile ride back from the Milan dragstrip when the 20th was going on, sweet car, and nice guy.

------------------
If you liked my contribution, please give me a positive rating! ;) If you didn't, please give me a positive rating.

In Progress Restoration/Hot Rodding of a 1984 SE, to be powered by some sort of motor from the GM Line.

Future owner of an 84 SE converted with 86 GT parts, and 50,000 mile V6

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Friggen ROCKS on Xbox, you must buy it and an xbox if you don't have one, its worth getting the system for this game.

Automoda

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AutomodaSend a Private Message to AutomodaDirect Link to This Post
To save me a lot of typing, lets just arrange a phone call. I installed my own, and I can talk you through your build up complete with scans of my build-up photos. Private message me and I'll give you my phone # and some good times to call.

------------------

87 Quad 4 HO convertible

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
PM sent... I haven't yet started on the car - still need to get the frame reinforced before I begin anything else, but I'm hoping to compile all the pieces of information that I possibly can between now and when I have the frame reinforcement done up.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
LZ - congradulations with finding your top !
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2003 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
*bump*
PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2003 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
PM sent... sorry I haven't called yet - not sure what times to call in the evenings, and have been WAY busy for the past week...

Looking forward to chatting with you.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock