Introducing a new product! by ryan.hess
Started on: 02-13-2005 06:57 PM
Replies: 220
Last post by: ryan.hess on 09-20-2005 12:12 PM
buddymem

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddymemSend a Private Message to buddymemDirect Link to This Post
thank you,
sorry for making you repeat what u have already said

Will a "automatic/manual" version be developed?

IP: Logged
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddymem:
Will a "automatic/manual" version be developed?

Not unless you're willing to pay out the nose for it $500-700 will be what it takes to get me interested in building one. Maybe less if you get several people to make deposits...

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2005 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
just a bump wondering how everything is going.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2005 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Everything's going smoothly on my end... I've put >1000 miles on the new TCM... And I noticed that apparently I have a leak in the trunk, which allowed water to drip on the TCM...

And I also noticed that after a long drive, if I let it sit, the trunk floor gets REALLY hot. I'll have to install a heat shield sooner than anticipated, or I'll start melting things!

So, TCM survives water and 150*F encounter

I would like to get my paddles soon. This pushbutton thing sucks, I have to drive with one hand.
Also, school is letting out in 2 weeks, so I'll be able to devote full attention to this, and you'll start seeing them on ebay possibly sooner than that.

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2005 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
will you be releasing the code with the tcm for pff members who want to possibly mess with it, and change stuff around? Are you using a pic, I think thats what you mentioned earlier. With the code, it would be possible to program 1/4 mile shift points, and commuting shifting, and whatnot for when you dont want to be paddle shifting and want full auto. Im just curious.

Also I have a 4t60e off a lumina 3.4 tdc car, but I dont have the plug or cable or whatever it uses, does anyone have a pic of the tranny with the plugs that are needed to run this. Thanks.

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2005 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by p8ntman442:
will you be releasing the code with the tcm for pff members who want to possibly mess with it, and change stuff around? Are you using a pic, I think thats what you mentioned earlier. With the code, it would be possible to program 1/4 mile shift points, and commuting shifting, and whatnot for when you dont want to be paddle shifting and want full auto. Im just curious.

Also I have a 4t60e off a lumina 3.4 tdc car, but I dont have the plug or cable or whatever it uses, does anyone have a pic of the tranny with the plugs that are needed to run this. Thanks.

No, I will not release the code. To be completely honest, I'm building these to make money. (I'm poor, and jobless) If I released the code, I would have no leverage whatsoever, and anybody who wanted to steal these from me could, and I don't want to chance losing my invested time and money. For somebody who's into electronics, it's not that hard to build one of these in "full auto". It just takes lots of man-hours to program. Besides that, the company mentioned before (page 1?) has a "full auto" setup for $700. They've already taken care of that part of the market. I'm not using a PIC, it's an Atmel micro. PICs are nice for what they do, but real men use real micros j/k..

Now if you already have a factory ECM that can control the tranny, it may be possible to put in a switch to hand off control from the ECM to you...

As for the 4t60e, there are lots of variations out there. I'd need to know what year it is before I can post a pic of the connector.. But it's just a little round 7 pin connector on these...

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 05-01-2005).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2005 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:
Now if you already have a factory ECM that can control the tranny, it may be possible to put in a switch to hand off control from the ECM to you...

You might run into issues with the N/V ratio not matching the currently commanded gear. Might have to trick the park/neutral switch as well...

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2005 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

No, I will not release the code. To be completely honest, I'm building these to make money. (I'm poor, and jobless) If I released the code, I would have no leverage whatsoever, and anybody who wanted to steal these from me could, and I don't want to chance losing my invested time and money. For somebody who's into electronics, it's not that hard to build one of these in "full auto". It just takes lots of man-hours to program. Besides that, the company mentioned before (page 1?) has a "full auto" setup for $700. They've already taken care of that part of the market. I'm not using a PIC, it's an Atmel micro. PICs are nice for what they do, but real men use real micros j/k..

As for the 4t60e, there are lots of variations out there. I'd need to know what year it is before I can post a pic of the connector.. But it's just a little round 7 pin connector on these...

completly understandable. are you using a surface mounted chip or a dip, if its dip then you could rip the code from it with the right programer, Im not trying to steal your stuff, Id like to buy one if I can get the stuff to make my 4t60e work (its from a 92 lumina euro 3.4) Id also like to modify my shifter for pushbutton shifting to p,n,r,d like i mentioned earlier. I like messing with code and modifing stuff, but I wouldnt be selling them.

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2005 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

completly understandable. are you using a surface mounted chip or a dip, if its dip then you could rip the code from it with the right programer, Im not trying to steal your stuff, Id like to buy one if I can get the stuff to make my 4t60e work (its from a 92 lumina euro 3.4) Id also like to modify my shifter for pushbutton shifting to p,n,r,d like i mentioned earlier. I like messing with code and modifing stuff, but I wouldnt be selling them.

That's what I was talking about earlier, and I also understand your (Ryan's) position. Being in the industry, I hate when one of my projects ends up being "used" by someone else. But, on the other hand, I'd like to see what I can learn from this, also as a professional curiousity. I'm hoping to get one in the future, once my car is sorted out at least.

Good luck Ryan, cool project.

Bob

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2005 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by p8ntman442:

Not if it's locked! :P

(actually you probably still can, but it's more difficult)

If you wanted to experiment with this, and wanted a leg-up, I could probably send you one of my completed boards with a blank chip, and you could basically program it to do whatever you want... If you've got a programmer of course.

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2005 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
when I get one, im gonna use it b4 I mess with it. Im looking at getting a 93 cutty supreme 3.1 4spd I may have to put it on that.
PFF
System Bot
stroker54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2005 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stroker54Send a Private Message to stroker54Direct Link to This Post
i just found the oem plug number for my 4T65E-HD
the gm part # is 15305857 listed as terminal model PT1008.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2005 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Ryan...whatever happened to this project?

Bob

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2005 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:
Ryan...whatever happened to this project?

Bob

ehh... working on getting settled in to the new place. Well... that, and potential liabilities have made me think carefully about what I should do lately.....

stroker54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2005 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stroker54Send a Private Message to stroker54Direct Link to This Post
ryan
my 4t65ehd is in the shop ,it will be done in a couple weeks
does your system need the ISS sensor cause i'm looking to change the chain and sprokets to a 7/8 chain and no place for the wheel
regards stroker.
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2005 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Been a while since there was any action on here... Whats goin on? Did we get anywhere yet? I have my 3800 Now, although its mounted to a 5 speed. I may go Auto still but never know.

------------------
"Raced That, Wrecked Better" ~In Memory Of Jesse Cesek~ 1980-2000
US Armored Cavalry - Fox 2/81 - Death By 120 - 1 Shot 1 Kill

GonsaiPK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GonsaiPKSend a Private Message to GonsaiPKDirect Link to This Post
Bump for any updates....
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
What kind of updates are we looking for?

I've been keeping busy with school lately, and haven't had much time to really work on anything. The TCM for all intents and purposes is "done". The instruction manual is "done", but needs some revision. The paddle assembly is far from done. I need to get a decent prototype running, and get that transfered to CAD to get the cost for a small production run. Problem is, there are still a few minor bugs that need to be worked out of the design, and frankly, I just don't have the time to play around with it.

Secondly, each TCM takes probably about 6 man hours to assemble. Maybe more, I haven't really "timed it". Slim profit margin + lots of construction time + no time to work = lack of interest.

I'd like to get the machining of the TCM box automated, i.e. CNC'd, as that takes the most time really... But again, setting that up requires more time that I don't have. It's a vicious cycle

Someone just needs to take over the business and pay me royalties

fiero doc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero docSend a Private Message to fiero docDirect Link to This Post
I'll take one for my N*. I'll continue watching the progress.

------------------

cancerkazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooDirect Link to This Post
How about a kit, with that 'slim' profit buit in. then it saves you the man hours and takes 6 man hours off the price. You may get more of the 'slim' profits adding up quicker.

Just an idea

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cancerkazoo:

How about a kit, with that 'slim' profit buit in. then it saves you the man hours and takes 6 man hours off the price. You may get more of the 'slim' profits adding up quicker.

Just an idea

That's basically what I was thinking of doing.. Probably sending the person the completed board, and having them mount it in the case. Send them some wire to do their own wiring harness... But if I can get the case machined, that would save time on both ends, and probably only raise the cost by $10-20. IMHO, well worth it, because then I won't have to worry about improperly mounted boards.

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock