AJ's Northstar project by AJxtcman
Started on: 12-12-2006 07:47 AM
Replies: 381
Last post by: AJxtcman on 06-18-2010 12:28 PM
Sloshua71

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sloshua71Send a Private Message to Sloshua71Direct Link to This Post
You could get really close with a custom set of true crossover headers so the exhaust pulses combine in the same order as a Ferrari. There was a 10second 260Z at last years GRM challenge with a wicked 350 that sounded nothing like any american V8 ive ever heard. He handbuilt a great set of crossover headers for it. I guess it didnt sound quite like a Ferrari-more like a F1 car-but that works for me too.

Good luck getting a set in a fiero engine bay though.
IP: Logged
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AJxtcman:
348 TB-TS 89- up Complete muffler - 4 stainless tips FE4320

355 Complete muffler - 4 stainless tips ( 6-speed manual only ) ( Not for F1 gearbox models) FE4620

360 Modena Complete muffler - 4 stainless tips FE4720

Very innovative, and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in my upcoming Northstar install. I'm anxious to see you put one on a Fiero, and hear some clips of what it sounds like. To me, a system like this looks much better than welding together a bunch of pipes and trying to tie in a muffler or two along with those pipes. If it sounds anything like an exotic when it's done, I'm sold.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
My N* is in a 355 kit and sounds more like a nascar. It has dual cats and what looks like dual shorty glasspacks. If yours turns out sounding like a 355 I will be wanting to change out too. I've already given up my trunk so I have lost of room although I have Petes old turbo setup for a future upgrade. I guess I would have to give that up. I really appreciate all the details in your post.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
Dammit cant find the thread, but heres a nice exhaust on a Nstar
FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
I have one of these 355 mufflers. It is very large and heavy. I think it is all stainless steel. I had purchased one for my LS1 setup so it had true duel exhaust.

I ended up using the camaro duel inlet muffler instead.

Loyde

[This message has been edited by FastFieros (edited 03-29-2007).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
I will Try the ANSA Exhaust.
Caddy owners have money. We get all sorts of cars in.

I am head back and plan on stopping across the street to have a talk with the two Italian guys that run the place.

I have done a lot of favors for a lot of people now it is my turn. It has been going well.

------------------
Cadillac Tech
ASE MASTER TECH since 1988

86 Northstar Fiero
85 RX7 former SCCA car
56 TR3 small mouth 6.0L
A.J. Whiteley

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 05-03-2007).]

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
I hadn't realized you where from tosa. I've always wanted to ride in a Nstar Fiero
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Deabionni:

Very innovative, and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in my upcoming Northstar install. I'm anxious to see you put one on a Fiero, and hear some clips of what it sounds like. To me, a system like this looks much better than welding together a bunch of pipes and trying to tie in a muffler or two along with those pipes. If it sounds anything like an exotic when it's done, I'm sold.

I have a 355 OEM Muffler for sale, it only has 1400 miles on it and is pure SS construction.
If anyone wants it please PM me or email me with your offer $250 OBO

Myferrari355spider@yahoo.com
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
^^^ If only I had the cash right now.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
Sent PM
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to add, $250 is fine with me. I have paypal or can send a check.
PFF
System Bot
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
I stopped by Reina and talked to one of the guy's. He pointed me to a 360 Muffler, but I wanted to know how wide and then I drove the car over. We measured a Testarossa and it was too narrow. He said they used to do kit cars and to use 2 glass packs. He asked me to start the car and Everybody came out of the shop to see the car. He can get ANSA, but sells Tubla. I think it was Tubla. They only build Ferrari mufflers so it was probably $3000. I have seen 360 mufflers for sale for $3000. I would like to stay under $1500. He thought $1500 was a lot if I have to cut it up. I will start looking for a used one to cut up before a buy a new one.

------------------
Cadillac Tech

86 Northstar Fiero
85 RX7 former SCCA car
56 TR3 small mouth 6.0L
A.J. Whiteley

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
The ferrari mufflers usually have 2 paths through them, and use a valve to flip between them. Basically it's like a WOT cutout by switching to a less restrictive muffler path.

The only car I've heard that sounds like a ferarri is the 3.4DOHC. A 90 degree V8 will never sound like a ferrari without some massive exhaust work. Custom headers, equal length exhaust, equilizer tube, etc. A muffler alone won't give you the sound you want. Not that this will stop you...
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
Ryan I see your point. The 355 muffler has the converter by pass it is at the top and in the center. It is RPM switched. At least that is what the Italian dude told me.

I would either block it off or work two pipes into three.
Note the 360 muffler that I like from ANSA has two in and four out. The tail pipes unbolt. If I had to cut someting I think it would be the tail pipes. This would leave the muffler untouched. The pipes would look fine after modifications.

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 03-31-2007).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
I got my carpet today. I DO NOT HAVE THE OLD CARPET. I need some inflo on installing ACC carpet. I have no way to locate it. If I pull it back so it fit to the bottum of the heater box then the carpet does not fit at the door opening. HELP ME. I did a search and only came up with inactive topics.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

A 90 degree V8 will never sound like a ferrari without some massive exhaust work. Custom headers, equal length exhaust, equilizer tube, etc. A muffler alone won't give you the sound you want. Not that this will stop you...

Have you driven or worked on one of these 350's? I have worked on and driven several. This one is in the shop now. We have the second key also. That would be to turn on the other 8 injectors and fuel pump.
How do they sound?

My job sucks LOL

------------------
Cadillac Tech

86 Northstar Fiero
85 RX7 former SCCA car
56 TR3 small mouth 6.0L
A.J. Whiteley

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 04-06-2007).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Carpet is working out

I got the battery relocated
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Another bad Northstar block that had Timesert already in it. They pulled out and the head gsk blew.

More toys we get in.
This has 4.10 gears and a locker. The gears had been installed by someone in the shop and they make noise now

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 03-31-2007).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
The impression I had of ANSA is correct. They are the OEM supplier to Ferrari
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sloshua71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sloshua71Send a Private Message to Sloshua71Direct Link to This Post

Have you driven or worked on one of these 350's? I have worked on and driven several. This one is in the shop now. We have the second key also. That would be to turn on the other 8 injectors and fuel pump.
How do they sound?

My job sucks LOL

You may know this already, but for those who dont.

The ferrari V8 and american V8 have a different style crank and firing order.

This leads to different exhaust pulse timing:
American= pulse-pulse-pulsepulse
Ferrari= pulse-pulse-pulse-pulse

The american V8 has a rumbly exhaust note due to the close exhaust pulses producing a strong sound in the middle of the other sounds. The uneven exhaust pulse timing also neccesitates a larger collector design on headers leading to a deeper exhaust pitch.

Ferrari V8's have a smooth exhaust pitch due to even exhaust timing. The even timing also allows for smaller collectors on headers causing a slightly higher pitch exhaust note.

The way to achieve a similar note to a ferrari with an american V8 is to combine the exhaust pipes in a way that puts an evenly spaced pattern of pulses into the headers. To do this you must combine one specific header pipe from one bank with 3 from the other bank. This leads to headers that resemble what is often called a "bundle of snakes"

The benefit of all this is that your primative "Mercan V8" can sound like a high priced exotic.
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
Myself, I don't care whether a Ferrari muffler sounds like a Ferrari in a Fiero. The reason I want the Ferrari muffler, is so that is has a nice, mellow tone at idle; and yet can still flow enough air at WOT to keep the N* happy. I'm looking for a muffler system that is easy to install, and won't give away that there's a V8 under the hood. I'm partial to the "sleeper" cars. When someone pulls up next to me at a light, I don't want them to hear the exhaust and know that my car is fast. I want their first clue to be when they only see my taillights as I pull away from them.

Not to mention, that looks very simple to install. Just connect one manifold to one inlet, and the other manifold to the other inlet; and then you'd only need to lenghten/shorten the outlet pipes to match the openings of the Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Deabionni (edited 03-31-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
That 360 muffler on Ebay has the tail pipes on the wrong sides.
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
I noticed that. I've seen some where the pipes would be aimed towards the engine. Any idea what years they offered the pipes towards the engine?
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
The 360 muflers have two in.
This OEM set of tail pipes switch from 2 out to 4 out with vacuum valves. You don't know how it is in the muffler. It could bypass some baffles.

This setup does not.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...get#ebayphotohosting

The 355 have 3 in and 4 out.

also look here click on the photos
http://www.ansaautomotive.c...istings/ferrari.html
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

How do they sound?

And what do they have? headers, equal length exhaust, crossover pipe, etc etc...

every single one of the items I listed.

You can do some marvelous things with the exhaust note with the above items.... Check out this LS1:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/a...b-e5e2f3cb9c5f/c5rev

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 04-01-2007).]

MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post

How do they sound?

My job sucks LOL

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY LT5! Ya think it will fit in a Fiero? The only problem is that it weighs a ton.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Deabionni:
Myself, I don't care whether a Ferrari muffler sounds like a Ferrari in a Fiero. The reason I want the Ferrari muffler, is so that is has a nice, mellow tone at idle; and yet can still flow enough air at WOT to keep the N* happy.

You going to install that Ferrari exhaust valve to flip between the idle/WOT muffler paths? Using the single idle muffler path will give you a quiet exhaust, but a restricted flow. The WOT muffler path would be the opposite. Can't have both without that valve.

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 04-01-2007).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

ryan.hess

20784 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by Sloshua71:
The way to achieve a similar note to a ferrari with an american V8 is to combine the exhaust pipes in a way that puts an evenly spaced pattern of pulses into the headers. To do this you must combine one specific header pipe from one bank with 3 from the other bank. This leads to headers that resemble what is often called a "bundle of snakes"

180 degree headers works...
180 degree crank works...

but for those of us on a more realistic playing field, you can get very close to that ferrari sound just just a few simple mods.... (see above audio clip)
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post

You going to install that Ferrari exhaust valve to flip between the idle/WOT muffler paths? Using the single idle muffler path will give you a quiet exhaust, but a restricted flow. The WOT muffler path would be the opposite. Can't have both without that valve.

If I can figure it out, I'd hook it up with that valve in place. Using it in that fashion sounds like I'd achieve exactly what I'm looking for.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
anyone have any pictures of interior parts, installations, console?
Sloshua71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sloshua71Send a Private Message to Sloshua71Direct Link to This Post

180 degree headers works...
180 degree crank works...

but for those of us on a more realistic playing field, you can get very close to that ferrari sound just just a few simple mods.... (see above audio clip)

Do you trust that sound clip? I only ask because an LS1 video that sounded almost exactly like that on torquecentral turned out to be a corsa exhaust on speed-meaning sped up by about 50%.

That said, what would you do to duplicate that sound with a northstar in a transverse install?
PFF
System Bot
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
I do not agree with the term 180° crank. I would think split throw crank and maybe flat plan. Split throw cranks break, makes for uneven crank load in most applications. I just read a little bit on this V8 crank it is like a 60° V6 crank and I am familiar with it. One application used a twisted cross plane or 90° crank. I am not 100° positive that the 05 + engines are this way.
This leads to different exhaust pulse timing:
American= pulse-pulse-pulsepulse
Ferrari= pulse-pulse-pulse-pulse

The American V8 has a rumbly exhaust note due to the close exhaust pulses producing a strong sound in the middle of the other sounds. The uneven exhaust pulse timing also necessitates a larger collector design on headers leading to a deeper exhaust pitch.

Ferrari V8's have a smooth exhaust pitch due to even exhaust timing. The even timing also allows for smaller collectors on headers causing a slightly higher pitch exhaust note.

------------------
Cadillac Tech

86 Northstar Fiero
85 RX7 former SCCA car
56 TR3 small mouth 6.0L
Formerly Washougal WA Resident
A.J. Whiteley

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 04-02-2007).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sloshua71:
Do you trust that sound clip? I only ask because an LS1 video that sounded almost exactly like that on torquecentral turned out to be a corsa exhaust on speed-meaning sped up by about 50%.

That said, what would you do to duplicate that sound with a northstar in a transverse install?

Good point. It's the only LS1 I've heard that sounded good, so maybe it is a fluke/artificial clip. But then I'm not really searching out LS1 clips or anything...

Equal length exhaust is a must. That means compensating for the front ->rear crossover pipe with some extra length on the rear manifold. "X" pipe/crossover is a must to equalize the double firing pulse mentioned above (the even-odd-odd-even-odd-even-even-odd...) Short(er) headers, with staggered collector entry points.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2007 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
I have a dash project. I need to mount my cluster and I have a dash from a STS like this. I will section in a portion. I have two other complete dashes I may use instead.

The 90 prototype

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2007 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
Was this Instrument panel trim covers used on any production vehicles?

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2007 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
I plan to go to the Milwaukee mile in May and the Dells Run. The car will be sold after that. I am not sure if I can have the DTS IP in and the dash done by that time. I have to sell the car ASAP. My custom first off Northstar V8 Mr Mikes seats will be in on Tuesday and the interior should be fininshed by 4-15-07. I would hate to tear up the inside of the car just after it is done. I will drop out the powertrain this weekend and feed my wire out the trans. I will start in on finishing the heater and AC connections.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2007 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Since I don't have my seats yet. I am pulling the Power train out and welding some holes in the trunk firewall. I will feed that needed wire through the trans and add it in to the PCM. I will start in first gear! Since I can capture Snapshots with the Tech II I plan on a good hard run. what will the 0 to 100 MPH time be?
anyone.
I had one the other day in a first gear start, but recorded over it.
This car is wicked with a first gear start!
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
OK I got it back together this morning.
I got two snapshots
This is the first WOT run with the trans wired correctly.
It slipped in 3rd or shifted back into 2nd. you can see it at 98 MPH.
The time in frame that may equeal second would be 0 to 98 in 9.431 frames and 102 at 10.163 frames.
If I checked it in run tine it is 9 and 10 seconds.

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 04-09-2007).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2007 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
I will have another tonight if I can make a safe 100 MPH run. I do not need a ticket.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Unless you're hitting the NOS, 12 seconds would be the "right answer".
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock