AJ's Northstar project by AJxtcman
Started on: 12-12-2006 07:47 AM
Replies: 381
Last post by: AJxtcman on 06-18-2010 12:28 PM
AJxtcman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
This is a great build
I purchased a 86 fiero in September. I had 2 Northstar engines in the shop. The first is a 1996 - 1999 and had about 5k mile on it, but the block had a bad casting. The other is a 2000 - 2002 disassembled. The 2000 is a better designed engine, but uses a Siemens PCM. The earlier one uses a delco PCM like the LT1 & LS1 from 96 - 99. This PCM is hackable 100%. The Siemens use a different protocol. I am a GM tech and for the last 3 years I have been at a caddy dealer. I repaired the Block on the 99 and built a harness. I had a 2000+ trans and decided not to install a range switch on the outside of the trans, but to use the Internal Mode Switch "IMS". I just had to look at the schematic and connect the wires to the 20 way connector and install a starter relay. Looking at the manuals I have read the description and operation of the PCM, the inputs and output. I have every thing covered. I may reprogram the PCM to an Export that does not use I/M 240 emisions. All I need is a VIN. I just go to a ebay in a different country and get the listed VIN.

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 03-28-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
relocated hinge

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 12-12-2006).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
craddle ****note that it has no side mounts****

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 12-13-2006).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Test fit #1

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 01-26-2007).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Obviously you're using an automatic. I've been curious about whether or not someone who's intimately familiar with GM controls can set up the stock PCM to work without certain features. I've been told that a skilled operator with a TECH II can piece together a manual transmission program for an L67 using the manual 3800 code from a 5 speed F-body and the calibration data from an L67.

Be careful when you use words like "hackable 100%". There are a lot of things you can do with a TECH II, but I bet you can't adjust shift points and change timing and fueling, which is what tuning really is.

Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
Yes, If you can hack the early ecm 100%, there is a market out there. Turning off torque managemen and certian other input / outputs would be a big advantage. Just getting rid of the trans control so a guy could use the stock ecm in a manual application would be nice. Yes I know Will is doing just that but with the fuel maps for the 275 hp on his 300 hp engine. Unless he has changed something I haven't really been keeping up. Also being able to tweek the fuel tables for a boosed app would be cool.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
The PCM's are programmable. 96 -99 run Motorola protocol software. It is not done with the Tech II. Currently I am into my PCM and O2 Sims about $50. I hope that not to buy a program to alter the factory program. I am looking for a Export VIN. What is the issue with Torque Management???
See my comments in the below
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/070626.html
GM document below
******NOTE NO TRANS TORQUE REDUCTION****** NO 2ND GEAR LAUNCH!!!!!
Torque Management is a function of the PCM that reduces engine power under certain conditions. Torque management is performed for three reasons:
• To prevent overstress of powertrain components.

• To limit engine power when brakes are applied.

• To prevent damage to the vehicle during certain abusive maneuvers.

The PCM uses manifold vacuum, intake air temperature, spark retard, engine speed, engine coolant temperature, A/C clutch status, and EGR valve position to calculate engine output torque. It then looks at torque converter status, transaxle gear ratio, and brake switch inputs and determines if any torque reduction is required. If torque reduction is required, the PCM retards spark as appropriate to reduce engine torque output. In the case of abusive maneuvers, the PCM may also shut off fuel to certain cylinders to reduce engine power.

There are five instances when engine power reduction is likely to be experienced

• During transaxle upshifts and downshifts.

• Heavy acceleration from a standing start. ********** A RATE OF 16 MPH PER 1 SECOND**********

• If brakes are applied with moderate to heavy throttle (input supplied by the Extended Travel Brake switch).

• When the driver is performing stress-inducing (abusive) maneuvers such as shifting into gear at high throttle angles.

In the first two instances, the driver is unlikely to even notice the torque management actions. In the other cases, engine power output will be moderate at full throttle.

When the PCM determines that engine power reduction is required, it calculates the amount of spark retard necessary to reduce power by the desired amount. This spark retard is then subtracted from the current spark advance. In the case of abusive maneuvers, the fuel injectors for cylinders 1, 4, 6, and 7 will also be disabled for a period of time.

TO REPLACE THE TORQUE REQUEST SIGNAL I COULD BUILD A PWM DRIVER TO SEND OUT A 99% DWELL ON THE TORQUE REQUEST LINE. THIS IS LISTED BELOW
Traction Control
Traction Control is a function of the PCM and the EBTCM that reduces front wheel slip during acceleration by applying the front brakes and reducing engine power. Refer to Brakes for an explanation of the EBTCMs role in traction control. The PCM continuously sends out a PWM signal that indicates the torque output of the powertrain. This signal, referred to as the Delivered Torque signal, is used by the EBTCM to determine what action is required when it sees the front wheels slipping. The EBTCM may decide to apply the front brakes only or apply the front brakes and request reduced torque output from the powertrain. The EBTCM requests reduced torque using another PWM signal. This signal, referred to as the Desired Torque signal, is used by the PCM to determine if the EBTCM is requesting reduced torque output from the powertrain. If the EBTCM requests reduced torque, the PCM will disable between one and seven fuel injectors to achieve this.

Desired Torque will normally be a 90 percent duty cycle signal to the PCM. When the EBTCM decides to request reduced engine power, it decreases the duty cycle of the Desired Torque signal by the amount of torque reduction required (90 percent duty cycle means no torque reduction, 10 percent duty cycle means 100 percent torque reduction). The PCM responds by shutting off fuel to one or more cylinders depending on the percent torque reduction requested. The PCM will not shut off any fuel injectors if any of the following conditions are present

• Coolant temperature is below -40°C (-40°F) or above 131°C (268°F).

• A low coolant level is present.

• Engine speed is below 600 rpm

The disabled fuel injectors will be re-enabled one by one as the need for traction control ends.

Several DTCs disable traction control when set. They will also trigger a TRACTION OFF light or message. The PCM traction control override also disables traction control and triggers the message. To diagnose a Traction Off light/message, diagnose any DTCs set first. Then check the traction control override and, if active, deactivate the override. If the TRACTION OFF light/message is still present, refer to Brakes for further diagnosis.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero STS:

Yes, If you can hack the early ecm 100%, there is a market out there. Turning off torque managemen and certian other input / outputs would be a big advantage. Just getting rid of the trans control so a guy could use the stock ecm in a manual application would be nice. Yes I know Will is doing just that but with the fuel maps for the 275 hp on his 300 hp engine. Unless he has changed something I haven't really been keeping up. Also being able to tweek the fuel tables for a boosed app would be cool.

There are THREE ECM's used for FWD engines... 93-95, 96-99, 00+. He's talking about using the 96-99 ECM. The TECH II can reflash these computers, but in order to call it "100% hackable", you need access to every number in the calibration data, which AIUI, is not available with a TECH II. Allen Cline once told me that he could lose his job for sending me a non-certified (emissions certified) calibration for the 93-95 computer. This was due to EPA regulations about certifying a powertrain configuration for emissions legality. I don't think GM is going to let any dealership tech mess around in the calibration because of those same regulations.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-12-2006).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
First if an export VIN is used it will not have I/M 240 emisions!!!
Second is the 100% hackable programs are not from GM. The 96-99 PCM are Delco and use Motorola software. The 2000+ use Seimens PCM's, but the 4.0L use delphi PCM's. The 96-99 PCM's are similar to LS1 PCM's.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006

PFF
System Bot
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
GM Document # 21860

Unleaded Export Vehicle DTC Type Information
The service information contained in this manual refers to the domestic calibration package - United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Caribbean and Guam. The Canadian and Unleaded Export calibration package (K 29) is referenced in this service manual in the DTC Type Table only. For the Unleaded Export calibration package some DTCs have been disabled and others have changed types (Type A to Type D, etc.). If a DTC has changed type or is disabled for the Unleaded Export calibration package, this change is NOT reflected in the service information on the DTCs diagnostic support information page. The Unleaded Export calibration package consists of vehicles sold in: Canada, Asia, Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Europe, Israel, Mexico, Iceland, South and Central America and Fleet/Govt./Military.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AJxtcman:TO REPLACE THE TORQUE REQUEST SIGNAL I COULD BUILD A PWM DRIVER TO SEND OUT A 99% DWELL ON THE TORQUE REQUEST LINE. THIS IS LISTED BELOW

In the installations I know of, the delivered torque output from the PCM has been looped back to the desired torque input.

The problem with auto trans Northstar installs so far has been that they're SLOW... mostly off the line. I've heard of cars running low 14's to high 13's. Even with the automatic, the cars should be able to hit low 13's. I hit high 12's with a manual transmission, but I was running LD8 program with an L37, so I was about 20 wHP down from where I should have been.

It has been conjectured that these cars are running in "low traction" mode and starting in 2nd gear, but I've not run across information that will either confirm or deny this.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-12-2006).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
I built a 2002 Eldo engine a couple of years ago. He had the ports lightly cleaned up in my opinion for $1200 out in CAL at a very well known place. He got ripped off. All 2000+ Eldo's are slow. He had an ETC engine code 9. The 2000+ VIN 9 engine have less cam than the VIN Y. I reset the cam timing and we picked up some performance. We set the cam timing closer to the 99 and prior spec. I can jump in a DTS and smoke the tires hard then drive 4 other DTS's and they don't react the same. I can install pistons in a DTS and it may run normal and then do a Deville and it will light up the tires. The guy with the Eldo has an STS, SLS, DTS, and some AMG supercharged benz. After he sold the Eldo I was reading about 4 different final drive gear ratio's Caddy's use 2 a 3.11 to 1 and 3.71 to 1. All 4 spec are 2.84, 3.11, 3.48, 3.71. The way it is listed the VIN 9 gets 3.71, but I can drive a slow DTS and a fast DHS.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
How do you reset cam timing?
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
99 Y engine has intake cam timing at 8 deg BTDC and a centerline of 117 deg ATDC
99 9 engine has intake cam timing at 13 deg BTDC and a center line of 126.5 deg ATDC
2000 Y engine has intake cam timing at 5.6 deg BTDC and a center line of 113 deg ATDC
2000 9 engine has intake cam timing at 0 deg BTDC and a center line of 122 deg ATDC
we advanced the intake cam 1 tooth this = 8 deg
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
I have to put a shorter shaft on this side yet, but you can see the mount.

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 01-26-2007).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
the early pre 99 engines have ~40 teeth on the sprocket. That's 9 degrees per tooth, or 18 CRANK degrees per tooth.

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
The primary chain has 30 teeth on the crank and 42 on the intermediate gear. the secondary chain uses 28 teeth on the intermeiate gear and 40 on the cam. 0 deg cam timing on the hot rod engine?
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
If the cam moves 9 degrees, the crankshaft HAS to move 18 degrees... otherwise it's not a 4 cycle engine.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Interesting idea... moving the 42 tooth intermediate sprocket 1 tooth turns it 8.5 degrees, which acts through the secondary ratio to turn the cams (together) by 6 degrees. This is, however, TWELVE crank degrees.

IOW, you can move both together by 12 degree increments, or either one individually by 18 degree increments.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-13-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
Ok. I had a long day. I removed a trans rebuilt it and reinstalled it in an Escalade before lunch. Then after lunch I rebuilt a rear diff in a CTS. I was not thinking correctly. numbers are numbers. When I installed the over priced port matched cylinder heads in this Eldo and it was still as slow as a dog. The customer called the shop in CAL and they said either buy cams from them or move the intake cams 1 tooth. They stated it was 8 DEG. 360/40 = 9 X 2 = 18 it is simple as that. I just did what he told me to do. We had no rough idle, no DTC's, and the fuel trim was about +10%. That is what I can remember. 18 from 0 is a big change

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 12-13-2006).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
On Saturday I was able to go through the brakes system. The car must have been sitting on jack stands before I got the car. The brake hoses had collapsed and the car would not roll after applying the brakes. After I removed the hoses they would form a tight U at the upper connection. I rebuilt all 4 callipers and the master cylinder. Everything looked great except the hoses. I found some Korean exported VIN's for 99 SLS cars. Most of the cars I came across had vin 9, but the Korean cars that I ran VIS's on are all SLS. I first reprogrammed my PCM as a SLS VIN Y limo for US. This car had strange RPO codes that I can not find info on. Are parts department has N/A as descriptions. I found one of the codes in a list and it was "fast delivery". This car has no FE9 "federal emissions". I found a TSB for calibration update that addressed the EGR not working if the car had low oil level. The TSB went on to say it was for Federal and California emissions. After re programing it with a this GM calibration I found a post O2 sensor listed. Then I tried the GM calibration for Korea. This listed the O2 sensor also on the data list, but I checked the I/M test list and found a very short list and the TWC "three way Catalyst" was listed. That is no problem because I have O2 Sim's. I check EVAP data and found the data stating disabled. When I was reading about the EXPORT CALIBRATIONS it was for a 97. I will look at some 97 VIN's today. No FE9 nad I need EXP RPO codes. I need to mount the PCM and will build a box for it today if it is not busy today.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2006 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
From the 1997 Seville service info

Unleaded Export Vehicle DTC Type Information
The service information contained in this manual refers to the domestic calibration package - United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Caribbean and Guam.

The Canadian and Unleaded Export calibration package (K 29) is referenced in this service manual in the DTC Type Table only.

For the Unleaded Export calibration package some DTCs have been disabled and others have changed types (Type A to Type D, etc.).

If a DTC has changed type or is disabled for the Unleaded Export calibration package, this change is NOT reflected in the service information on the DTCs diagnostic support information page.

The Unleaded Export calibration package consists of vehicles sold in: Canada, Asia, Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Europe, Israel, Mexico, Iceland, South and Central America and Fleet/Govt./Military.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you're doing quality research.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
new pic. I built a PCM box with a cooling duct.

I hope to mount the fuses, relays, and start it tomorrow

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 12-22-2006).]

carolinajoe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carolinajoeClick Here to visit carolinajoe's HomePageSend a Private Message to carolinajoeDirect Link to This Post
Isn't that still going to be a real Hot spot for it even with the cooling duct???
(Looks like a black box from the planes)
I mounted mine in the spot where the old one was in the console.
I am almost positive that the N* runs hotter then the V-6 like 210-215 degrees
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2006 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
PCM in the box

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 12-22-2006).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
The day after Xmas I got back to work. The car is getting to heavy to push in and out. Without the axles in and the brakes on I can push it up hill into the shop pretty good by my self. I have not Machined the front rotor and have some excessive brake drag. I was at work so I really didn't want to spend time on it. I did hook up the power feeds and the Tech II. I had a code for the PassKey in learn mode. I hooked up my PassKey III module and it will not learn a key code. About 4pm I decided to acually work on it instead of trying to look like I was not working on it. It starts and dies. My Passkey Module that I had removed from a car for long crank "30-45 sec" is junk. I will pick up a DEI 555G PassKey III bypass. I will have to learn it to another car and then install it on mine. Cross my fingers or I will actually have to pay for a part.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2006 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
On the 26th I had installed my Passkey III module from a 99 Seville and reprogrammed the PCM to a Korean export. The car would start and stall. On the 27th I decided to scrap the use of the used PK3 module and install a new module on a 2000 Deville with my newly acquired PK3 bypass module. The bypass module most learn the code from an operating systems. Mine was not. I installed the new PK3 and the bypass modules in parallel and learn the codes on my used car that was safetying. I then installed it on My Fiero. Now the engine would not fire at all. I could not program the PK3 module with the SPS programing. The system would not auto learn. The PCM state an incorrect Key code from the PK3 module was sent. I did some research after getting home and found some info stating only one password can be learned. Not Key Codes. The system can learn up to ten key codes. So I screwed up this Module by hooking it to another car. Now on the third day of trying to start it and about 6 hour have passed so far. This morning on the 28th I ripped off the Deville setup and reprogrammed the PCM to a LIMO calibration. This sets up the PCM to learn the PK3 password. After work I reinstalled the Seville setup and used the Deville's key. It went into auto learn right away. I did the 30 minute learn procedure and drove the car out of the shop. Now I am into the PK3 system about 8 hrs and I am not done. 8 hours is a lot for me. I have made a mess of my nice harness. I will post a picture. Man I sure went backwards on this part. I am back to what I started with on the 26th. Once the password has been learned I can reprogram the PCM back to the Korean with no problem.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2006 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
This is a picture of the damage I did to my nice harness

This is the PassKey III module I used to start the car.

This is the DEI 555G PassKey III bypass module I will be installing hopefully in place of the PK3 module. If not I will have to use both.

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 12-29-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2006 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
Great work, and thanks for keeping us updated with your progress.

I can't wait to see you get all the bugs worked out, and hear that you have it running.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
New problem came up with my conversion. I purchased my car in Rhode Island as a basket case. No engine and trans was a separate deal. The guy had a 2.8L at a machine shop that he was planning to install in it. The car is an 86 and it had no AC, power locks, and windows. He was given a car that had been abandoned if he got rid of the car "no title". He had installed the AC and all the interior wiring from it. I thought the 2.8 was from the other car. I got several totes of parts one was marked Fiero harness. I also got the power door and a set of S10 calipers. I have no idea the year of his donor car. The harness that goes to C500 only extends about 12 inches past the firewall pass through. Was the donor car an 84? If it is is the C500 pin out different? On the 86 harness the pass through was cut off on both sides. I have a portion of the harness from the C500 back to the pass through. It does not look like it is the full length. It looks like it will be with in a foot of the pass through. Basically I think I had an 84 main harness in an 86 car with a Northstar and a section of the 86 main harness from the C500 back. I need to connect the two. Any information I would be greatly appreciated

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 01-10-2007).]

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
I wish that I could help you, but I don't know much about wiring questions. Anyhow congrats for all the work that you've done so far! And don't give up

By the way if you don't mind sharing a bit more info on how to play with the cams (degrees/timing) on a 93 N*, I'm rather interested in this particular mod. And do you have any idea on how many more Hp are gained?

Thanks,
JG
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
PBJ had chrfab modify his cam timing. It didn't sound expensive, especially for chrfab.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2007 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
CHRF has a jig/fixture that makes redrilling the intake cam sprockets to advance the intake cams pretty easy.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2007 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
I think he said it was like $20 or so... Pretty good, considering. Moving the cams one tooth (18 degrees) is probably too much. Going from 241(244?) to 266 degrees duration and gaining 0.03" on the intakes gained 25hp. Since CHRF has the jig, the best bang for the buck would be to install VIN 9 intake cams in the exhaust cam slots, using redrilled sprockets. Then you would have 266/266 duration, extra lift... Might even gain 30hp.
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, and I don't mean to disagree with your stament, but as far as I was told by Allen from CHRfab he did the redrill cam sprockets with the intentions of gaining bottom end and not top end, while using the regrind cams; as a matter of fact he told me not to worry about using it with the fiero since is so light, that even the 288 cams will do Ok, without this mod.

But then again, you actually have an explanation that will support your stament, and I guess is Ok more Hp is gain...through this mod

And I do already have a set with the redrill holes, so I guess that I will used them!

Thanks,
JG
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
When I welded the bad casting of the block I had some issues. On all the blocks that I have seen this on the aluminum will peels like fish scales. I started welding the little line after grinding it out, but the coolant in the crack was contaminating the weld. I tried for about three nights and one Saturday before I got it down. I actually went completely around the now about 3" long separated area and the covered it over. The Head gasket had caught on fire and burned up. So when I added coolant and it ran out I was not surprised. I pulled the head off on Saturday to find that the crack had gone up to the head gasket area. When I was heating the block before welding or patching it the bad area would peel back. The thickness of this at the head gasket must be only about .5mm. I chiseled it back first to break it open. This will open the crack up so you can follow it. Then I ground it back with an aluminum bit in a die grinder so it would not smear the crack over. I went down about 3/8 of an inch below the deck. From the water jacket to the side is still about 10mm thick. I plan to weld across the top and then join the patch. When I chiseled it open I found the the aluminum was not consistent. It looks like two separate pours of the casting or at least it did not melt together in this area.

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 01-14-2007).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to working on production engines. I have a mostly empty block in the shed. We can work something out.

Welding on blocks can do weird things.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock