AJ's Northstar project by AJxtcman
Started on: 12-12-2006 07:47 AM
Replies: 381
Last post by: AJxtcman on 06-18-2010 12:28 PM
AJxtcman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2007 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
This is the area that I had patched. I have ground a lot away in this picture.

You can see the different color of filler in the picture.

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 02-25-2007).]

IP: Logged
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2007 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Spare block and heads. I have 3 cranks and 4 sets of rods.

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2007 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
This is the head off my current 99 engine. It has less than 5000 miles on it. The head is very clean

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 01-16-2007).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2007 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
This is the way I pull the powertrain unit.

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2007 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Hey I have a Crate in the corner that needs to go. It contains a 4.5 Multiport and trans. It was a 1 year only, but it is similar to the 4.9L that followed.

The story is that it is a rebuilt engine and trans. The old lady died before the bill was paid. The car was junk, so they scrapped it and they have been sitting on this for over 5 years. Crest Cadillac brookfield WI 414-339-6122 ask for A.J.

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 01-16-2007).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I've been curious about a PFI 4.5 for a while now. I like that it has the best rod/stroke ratio of any engine in that family.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
All my Interior parts had been on the crate. The owners come up once a week from Chicago and complains about the mess in this corner. I have taken my interior parts home, but the 4.5L needs to go.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
I started the weld the block. Not patching it. I could not find the Flux I needed so I dug out all my aluminum wire welding apparatus. As I was welding the patch that I had installed had a different color to the flame. So I ground all the patch out. I welded along the deck and started to fill in the area that had peeled until the welder got hot and started to make a mess. I had been at work about 12 hrs so it was time to go home and try to finish it tomorrow. The weld looks great with the exception of the last little bit.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
I still have the little wheels on the car.

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
This is a couple of shots of the mounts.

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
The shifter is almost done. I need to relocate the cable mounting ball back about 10mm and then it will be done.

PFF
System Bot
G-Nasty

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for G-NastyClick Here to visit G-Nasty's HomePageSend a Private Message to G-NastyDirect Link to This Post
AJ-
Great build-

Do you happen to have instructions for replacing the rear main seal & oil pan gasket for a 97 Northstar?
My aurora will be getting its engined pulled for that ...Lemme know bro-
PDF would be killer

Thanks
OUT>
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
I finally had a slow day at work. I booked 9.0 hrs and spent the afternoon mostly doing the firewall. I cut out the Insulation and sealed the ends. It looks nice and should hold up well. I need to plug weld on the other side before I reinstall the engine in the morning.

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2007 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
Cold very cold out. last two saturdays I worked on some side work that had been building up. Drove the car home the other day. I got the axles finished, engine reassembled and back in, the coolant tubes connected. The PCM location got to crowded so I am relocating it. I am mounting it on the fire wall on its side. -2 DEG is cold I must stay in today.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
About two week ago I took the boy "casey" For a spin in the car. The car ran pretty good may have been low on gas. When I put the fuel pump in I only put 3 gallons in and it has been to the Exh shop and home along with some trips in and out of the shop. Any way It has been cold like 0° or below and has snowed. I had pulled the PCM box out to move it. I plan on a better look and less crowded at the PCM area. I had not reinstalled the PCM connector gasket and did not cover it. Last Saturday I went out to start it in -10° temp and had a dead battery. I had the Battery set in side on the passengers floor. I CONNECTED THE BATTERY CHARGER BACKWARDS. I charged the completely dead battery backward all day because the starter would not spin the engine over. I left the car at home and had went to work on a side job. Sunday I discharge the battery and recharged it the correct way. I replaced all the blown fuses, but the PCM B+ fuse blows. I guess I now have to replace the PCM. Can I ever screw up when I just start things going in the right direction. I just aquired a spare PCM about two weeks ago. This suck.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
I think the battery went dead from the missing PCM gaskets. It had never discharge the battery like that before.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2007 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Water gets into everything.
There's a little water in the select cable of my Formula. When it freezes I can't move the shifter left/right and have to wait until the engine warms the cable enough to thaw it.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2007 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
It is 40° out. The car runs great. When it shifts into 2nd it bogs down. I have not looped back the TCS desire signal so I hope that will take care of it. It starts in 1st gear every time. I know this because I can't down shift into first and if it was starting in second then shifting into 3rd you can down shift into 2nd. I must get new springs in the rear it is too soft and I almost lost it. I bounced it sideways just down the road from the Harley plants entrance at shift change. Lots of poeple to look at an old man trying to crash.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2007 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a dogbone? Is it off center?
When a stock engined car kicks sideways on a shift, it's the cradle bushings allowing engine torque to twist the entire cradle via the off-center dogbone.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2007 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
No dog bone for me.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2007 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AJxtcman:
I know this because I can't down shift into first and if it was starting in second then shifting into 3rd you can down shift into 2nd.

You mean because you can down shift into first?

At what MPH do you hit the 6500 shift point WOT from a stop?
PFF
System Bot
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2007 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
Yes I can not down shift into first at cruising speeds. I had to get the car out of the dealership. It can go on the weekend and at night, but it has stayed inside to long. The car is not finished and I just need a couple of Saturdays to get the engine bay finished and then on to the interior. I need to work out the EVAP system Either OBDII or not. I have to wire up the IAT sensor. I have to wire up the fans. I have eliminated the C500 and need to install a new 4 terminal weather pack in its place. First I must get this jeep trans back in. I guaranty my work and rebuilt this trans 3 years ago in a snow plow vehicle. It had on stipulation NO GEARS. I had to pull it down under my warranty, but luckily He Blow out the rear planetary set. I get to charge him again, but it has taken me two weekends. one to pull it and then clean all the rust out of my stall. Last weekend I built it. I had alot of problems get my clearances in. It was way to tight. This weekend I will waste all day saturday welding the frame so manual first works and drigging rust out of my eyes. This will be the last time I work on this JEEP.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2007 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
I have an engine out of a CTS V right now. It is to bad that the LS6 could never run in a Feiro because the PCM is to high tech and the SRS might not allow the fluxcompacitor to become fully operational. LOL
85SE
From: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada (yes, the town is named Paradise!)

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEClick Here to visit 85SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AJxtcman:

All my Interior parts had been on the crate. The owners come up once a week from Chicago and complains about the mess in this corner. I have taken my interior parts home, but the 4.5L needs to go.

AJ,

Did you sell the 4.5 yet? If not, how much $ are you looking for?

Thanks!
Andrew

------------------

Now only mostly original 85 coupe with 42k miles ;)
http://www.unmentionable.ca

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
I will ask the boss. I will ask the tech who removed it about the engine and trans. I have heard two stories now.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
CTS V LS6

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 08-25-2007).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
I may try a new shifter. I posted the last one I built. This one has no lock. You don't have to push a button. We are seeing the brake interlock fail and I will have more, but no knobs.

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
Good thread, and keep up the good work.

I'd love to see a shifter with a shift grid like that in a Fiero.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
I looks like we are going to get 20" of snow. The car is outside so I will get some nice pictures.
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
AJ I know this isn't really related to your thread, but can you ck for me and see what the wireing is on a 98 vin 9 northstar for the 0-2 sensor. I have one purple, one tan and two brown wires in the o-2 and need to know what each one is. I would have thought the two brown would be ground, the purple sensor and the tan power, but it blows the ecm fuse that way. if I unplug the sensor it doesn't blow so my common sence must not be the same as GM common sence

Thanks,
Russ
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
xxx

------------------
Cadillac Tech
ASE MASTER TECH since 1988

86 Northstar Fiero
85 RX7 former SCCA car
56 TR3 small mouth 6.0L
A.J. Whiteley

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 10-01-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006

------------------
Cadillac Tech

86 Northstar Fiero
85 RX7 former SCCA car
56 TR3 small mouth 6.0L
A.J. Whiteley

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2007 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
Ryan guess what. Ok. I came across a PWM box for a EBTCM issue. Great right, It is used on the PCM torque request side. I contacted the GM performance company and they said it will work on both sides. Great. It was designed for a Trailblazer SS with a blower. It was displaying a Traction disabled message. Guess what cheap fix. Research! Favors! GM LOVES ME

------------------
Cadillac Tech

86 Northstar Fiero
85 RX7 former SCCA car
56 TR3 small mouth 6.0L
A.J. Whiteley

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2007 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Alignment time. I was having difficulty driving the car sideways down the road. I thought maybe I was getting old. I drove it to work yesterday in the snow and it was fish tailing constantly with out accelerating. I found 2.6° rear toe. .20° is a normal toe setting. I set the toe and drove it two blocks at a constant drift. I also found some loose ball joints in the front. I will have to rebuild the front suspension.

------------------
Cadillac Tech

86 Northstar Fiero
85 RX7 former SCCA car
56 TR3 small mouth 6.0L
A.J. Whiteley

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2007 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006
cool little box

------------------
Cadillac Tech

86 Northstar Fiero
85 RX7 former SCCA car
56 TR3 small mouth 6.0L
A.J. Whiteley

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Little black boxes full of potting material get my attention...any more details on it? Boy, if it does as suspected, there's a lot of guys with GMs out there that might be interested to figure out what's inside that magic box!

Bryce
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
Portland. I used to work for AC Nutter. Nutter racing engines.

I would make the assumption that it is a PWM generator

------------------
Cadillac Tech

86 Northstar Fiero
85 RX7 former SCCA car
56 TR3 small mouth 6.0L
A.J. Whiteley

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
Once again, great work and thanks for taking your time to post all of this!
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, looking at Lingenfelter's website, I don't understand what this unit is going to accomplish for you. Help me out here...?

http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/lpe-pwm-001.html

I thought that it would have more adjustability, but 80%-100% doesn't seem like it'd do much for you. What am I missing?

Bryce
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
As one of the first companies to install a supercharger on a Chevrolet Trailblazer SS, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering (LPE) learned early on about some of the difficulties involved in doing so. One of the problems that we found when we ran the supercharger at higher speeds and boost levels was that the stability control system (Stabilitrac) would become disabled at fairly low throttle angles. Our testing on a boosted Hummer H3 encountered similar results. This device was developed by LPE to solve those problems.

On the 2006-2007 Trailblazer SS, the 2006-2007 Hummer H3 and several other GM vehicles, the ECM sends a delivered torque signal to the EBCM or EBTCM. If the output from the ECM exceeds the expected value, the EBTCM will disable Stability Control and will cause a warning message to display on the dash. High output engine upgrades, especially superchargers and turbochargers, can cause this to occur.

This device is designed to allow you to limit the delivered torque signal received by the EBTCM and solve this problem. This allows the stability control system to continue to function at these higher power levels and eliminates the annoying warning message on the dash.

This device will only work on vehicles that have a discreet delivered torque signal between the ECM and the EBTCM. On some vehicles, like the 2007 full size SUVs and trucks, the delivered torque signal between the ECM and the EBTCM is a part of the serial data communication signal between the ECM and the EBTCM. This device will not work in those types of applications.

The Lingenfelter Delivered Torque Limiter module includes a diagnostic LED to confirm proper operation. Compact design is fully potted for added durability. The Delivered Torque Limiter also has a Pass Thru setting, allowing you to disable the device and return to stock operation if you should need to do so.

Easy to install - only four wires - one for power, one for ground and then the other two intercept the delivered torque output signal from the ECM. You can either cut the delivered torque wire and install this device in between or you can back the pins out at the underhood fuse block and connect at that point. Installation instructions for the Trailblazer SS and Hummer H3 are included.

LPE part #: PWM-001

------------------
Cadillac Tech

86 Northstar Fiero
85 RX7 former SCCA car
56 TR3 small mouth 6.0L
A.J. Whiteley

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 

All times are ET (US)