Started on: 09-27-2007 09:15 PM
Replies: 386
Last post by: Joseph Upson on 09-14-2008 07:46 AM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Edit: I own this page - almost as much as Archie owned darkhorizon.

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

You still have not said what car you are going to bring to the table, but unfortunately the time I have to play with cars as a kid is coming to and end after this next summer, and I just want to enjoy what I have and drive it all year.

I didnt mean to say I am not going to do this, If I run across some deals that will make my race car possible money wise, I could consider this at a greatly reduced entry price. I want to know what great setup archie will bring against me before I consider dumping money into my car to bring it up from daily driver status.

Translation: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!! Someone called me on my

You don't get to change the conditions of your challenge after it's been accepted.
You threw down the gauntlet and Archie just biatch slapped you with it.

You're gonna be typing with a limp around here for LOOOOONG time, little boy.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 01-09-2008).]

IP: Logged
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
BTW I just filed my tax return for this last year, and the gross amount was about 1/3 the number that archie offered we race for.

Edit for clarification.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 01-09-2008).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

BTW I just filed my tax return for this last year, and the gross amount was about 1/3 the number that archie offered we race for.

Edit for clarification.

So you're poor and have a big mouth? Not a good combination.

And yet, you not only offered to race for money, but for pink slips.
You might not have guessed Archie would want to wager more than a dollar or two, but you DID offer to race for pink slips. Did you not think losing your car would be expensive?

You're not too bright, are you?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I could sell my car for $1k and make money.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

But you still will be known for backing out of a "challenge" you put up.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
k, I dont care.
MotorTV

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MotorTVClick Here to visit MotorTV's HomePageSend a Private Message to MotorTVDirect Link to This Post

k, I dont care.

I understand why kids like you don't...
And adults do....
As you muture you may understand this as well...
But i don't recall EVER putting my foot in my mouth as bad as you did... LOL
Chuck
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

k, I dont care.

So much for the bravado and rhetoric. You blew any credibility you might have had with me. You put the challenge out there, and lo and behold, it is accepted. For some reason I am not surprised that you backed out. A bunch of talk and no action.

I love my SC3800, but I am not foolish enough to challenge any V8 owner anywhere for pinks or money or whatever.

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Billybo455:

speaking of stock gn's can run 12's with tuning. the fastest stock turbo, stock everything gn is 12.20 i think. i can't think of but one gn that i know that's still stock. it's also in a bubble with under 700 miles on it. so what i'm saying is that's a pretty bold statment. got any proof?

since gnx's have been dead for 15 years, nothing left. I sold my car over 15 years ago. I raced on 231 and wouldn't even bother with a gnx. no one would. they were slow, over wieght geared only for 0-80 mph. stage 2 /stage 3's were a joke too. the only people who thought otherwise where the idiots who paid 5-20k to get them "setup". what a waste of a good motor. the only place I ever saw a gnx was in my rear view mirror.
sorry guy, a barely 300hp turbo car in a 3800 lb car(assuming it was worked) is not going to stand a chance of a snowball in ell against a 300 hp n/a motor with a decent ratio 5 speed in a 2800 lb car. oh did I mention that I shifted at 8k? ever see a gnx do that more than a couple of times? slips? no. money? got alot of it from people who laughed at v6's. soo funny. gnx. a joke for the rich boys who knew nothing.
now not to say some knowledgeable guys had a few that ran good at the strip, but they weren;t daily drivers either.
I liked the body style tho, and would have been a decent car with an aluminum rat motor in it. (that's a 454 for neophytes)

oh, and stock,in the 80's they couldn;t get under 13.0, I don;t know where you got those pipe dream numbers from. stock they were about 230hp for a hot motor, and no way that car with that weight was running low 12's. I grew up in that era, and I NEVER saw numbers like that posted anywhere for them, tho I vaugely recall something about a stage3 custom setup getting down close to getting below a 12.
the other "stage" variables were stoplight cars, fast launch and all done by the next stoplight.

I still stand by the original point of my post. an 8 will always beat a 6 in the same car. (assuming no drivetrain failures).
MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post
Why don't you guys race and the loser has to eat poop or something. What car would Archie use anyway?

------------------

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by p8ntman442:
MotorTV

From what I see, your 60'-330' times are a tad slower than a high 12 second car. This is the time when you would be pulling hard in second gear into third.Or "a quick blast through 6000 rpm in second" Can you explain what was happening and why a fiero with plenty of hp to go fast from 60' to 330' is on par with a 12.8 Grand Prix going balls to the wall through those points.

everyone else can leave their comments at the door, I didnt read alot of this thread and I dont feel I missed too much.

just reposting it to get a response from MotorTV

one more time, Sorry it double posted, but did you really need that as an excuse not to answer the question. Why cant a 780hp fiero blasting through second gear beat a mid-high 12 second gtp going balls to the wall from 60'-330'? I mean 780 hp is an awful lot of power. When you lay the hammer down, in second gear you should be tearing up asphalt and shaking the earth. Instead your making time like a boosted grocery getter.
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Edit for clarification.

Just another reason to put your mind in gear before putting your mouth in motion.

You know, you might just want to consider keeping your challenges to the teens you hang out with until you can learn to play with the grown-ups.

I don't know what you expected but when you throw a challenge like that out in front of 15000 members, someone is gonna shove it down your throat.

Why don't you go over to RealFieroTrolls & brag about how you put all of us in our place by posting up your challenge. You don't have to tell them that you got owned by Cletus. They don't read over here, they won't know.

Archie
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

since gnx's have been dead for 15 years, nothing left. I sold my car over 15 years ago. I raced on 231 and wouldn't even bother with a gnx. no one would. they were slow, over wieght geared only for 0-80 mph. stage 2 /stage 3's were a joke too. the only people who thought otherwise where the idiots who paid 5-20k to get them "setup". what a waste of a good motor. the only place I ever saw a gnx was in my rear view mirror.
sorry guy, a barely 300hp turbo car in a 3800 lb car(assuming it was worked) is not going to stand a chance of a snowball in ell against a 300 hp n/a motor with a decent ratio 5 speed in a 2800 lb car. oh did I mention that I shifted at 8k? ever see a gnx do that more than a couple of times? slips? no. money? got alot of it from people who laughed at v6's. soo funny. gnx. a joke for the rich boys who knew nothing.
now not to say some knowledgeable guys had a few that ran good at the strip, but they weren;t daily drivers either.
I liked the body style tho, and would have been a decent car with an aluminum rat motor in it. (that's a 454 for neophytes)

oh, and stock,in the 80's they couldn;t get under 13.0, I don;t know where you got those pipe dream numbers from. stock they were about 230hp for a hot motor, and no way that car with that weight was running low 12's. I grew up in that era, and I NEVER saw numbers like that posted anywhere for them, tho I vaugely recall something about a stage3 custom setup getting down close to getting below a 12.
the other "stage" variables were stoplight cars, fast launch and all done by the next stoplight.

I still stand by the original point of my post. an 8 will always beat a 6 in the same car. (assuming no drivetrain failures).

I used to have so much fun with people like you in my GN. I bought it brand new in the Fall of 87. It was bone stock with the exception of a 160° thermostat and a Kenne Bell Hi-Lo Pro chip that upped boost to 19 psi.

Nope, I don't have dyno or time slips, but I did royally ruin an SS 396 4-speed Chevelle owner's entire weekend.

And you probably never saw a GNX since they were very limited production and known collectibles right off the showroom floor. People who bought them for $30k when a regular GN was under $20 (mine stickered for right at $19k) didn't mod or race them. I'm sure a few did, but that would be a very small minority.

I'm guessing it ran 12s. Low or high 12s would depends a LOT on the ambient temp. They were incredibly sensitive to air temp. You get a hot GN that just drove in, and it's 90° outside, and it's not going to be impressive. Get one that's just barely up to operating temp with cold air... and watch out. The rule of thumb when they were new was that each 1° below 70° was +1 HP. And you lost HP above 70°. Off the showroom floor on a warm day, they were high 13 second cars. But there was a LOT of variability in those numbers based on atmosphere conditions.
MotorTV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MotorTVClick Here to visit MotorTV's HomePageSend a Private Message to MotorTVDirect Link to This Post

one more time, Sorry it double posted, but did you really need that as an excuse not to answer the question. Why cant a 780hp fiero blasting through second gear beat a mid-high 12 second gtp going balls to the wall from 60'-330'? I mean 780 hp is an awful lot of power. When you lay the hammer down, in second gear you should be tearing up asphalt and shaking the earth. Instead your making time like a boosted grocery getter.

You would think after DH got owned so bad you would have laid low...
First off... you might want to read the thread your are talking about... you won't look so silly , as your answers are already there....
Second... have you ever driven a Fiero with a stick shift?
Third ... you are comparing two completly different kinds of cars... It's true they both have four wheels but you need to look at more then just that... lol
That is about all the time i will waste on this reply... If you want to come up with a non Troll question i might take you seriously....
Chuck
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post01-10-2008 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AJxtcman:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aaronrus:

no offense to you guys, but racing in a straight line is gay...it requires very little driving skill, just decent shifting if you have a manual tranny...
QUOTE]

I would like to argue that point.

In a 15 second race you need to be on your game for 15 seconds. The quicker the time less time allowed for error.

In a Road race if you make a slight error you can make it up.

You need to take the shortest point between A and B. Road Course is not always that way.

I like Drag racing, but it is my least favorite type of racing. It is just too short.

ehhh but thats ONLY if you have a manual tranny.. i mentioned that point. if you have an automatic tranny, it is literally a no brainer race..
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post01-10-2008 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

aaronrus

870 posts
Member since Nov 2003
Again:

why in the hell do people call it racing for "pink" slips? i never got that.. ive never seen a pink vehicle title in my life

ohh , and to stay on topic, i never understood the whole big deal f the test and tune with the LT1 / turbo combination.. an LT1 turbo setup is something that has been done a thousand times on other cars...i am still convinced of motorTV's intent to just brag to everyone in here and put himself over, because of his supposed coolness for running a car slow on a track to get a "perfect tune"...
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronrus:

Again:

why in the hell do people call it racing for "pink" slips? i never got that.. ive never seen a pink vehicle title in my life

It’s a California thing.

Jack

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post

In my state of Tennessee, when you bought a car you got the pink part of the sales receipt. It's not the title that is pink. Many times growing up people would say "I'll race you for the pink slip" or "I'll race you title for title". Both meant the same thing.
MotorTV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MotorTVClick Here to visit MotorTV's HomePageSend a Private Message to MotorTVDirect Link to This Post

Again:

ohh , and to stay on topic, i never understood the whole big deal f the test and tune with the LT1 / turbo combination.. an LT1 turbo setup is something that has been done a thousand times on other cars...i am still convinced of motorTV's intent to just brag to everyone in here and put himself over, because of his supposed coolness for running a car slow on a track to get a "perfect tune"...

An atempt at tag team trolling... how cute,,,,
Chuck
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

i never understood the whole big deal f the test and tune with the LT1 / turbo combination.. an LT1 turbo setup is something that has been done a thousand times on other cars...i am still convinced of motorTV's intent to just brag to everyone in here and put himself over, because of his supposed coolness for running a car slow on a track to get a "perfect tune"...

I'm sure that an LT1 turbo setup has been done many times on other cars. The thing that you're missing is that everyone of those other cars had test & tune sessions to get the car dialed in before going all out.

That's the funny thing, a lot of you kids claim that the V-8 guys never get their cars properly dialed in.

So here we are, Chuck's trying to get his car properly dialed in without blowing it sky high in an all out initial run.

On one hand you RealFieroTrolls say that the cars are never tested & dialed in. On the other hand you can't understand why the 1st run isn't all out.

Hindsight being 20-20, the only mistake Chuck has made here was to try to let PFF'ers witness the process of dialing it in.

It's easy to understand why dozens of Fiero V-8 owners would never post any info on their cars, when they see all the crap they have to take from a bunch of punks who haven't got 2 dimes to rub together. No matter how good those numbers are & no matter how satisfied they are with the results, there's always some berger flippin' troll who's going to bash him.

You, along with everyone else that's posted in this thread have no standing in telling him how he should or shouldn't be testing & tuning his car. You should be happy that he's even letting you witness the process he has decided to take with a car that he has his money invested in.

So give it a freekin' rest already. If you don't like what he's doing, then go back to RFT & play with the rest of the kids.

Archie

edited to add......... This post is not about people who have jobs in the food service industry who are reading this thread and enjoying it while maybe learning something from it. This post is about trolls on a shoe string budgit bashing someone who has serious money & time invested in a car that he's trying to get dialed in while protecting his investment. If the trolls can keep their mouths shut long enough maybe they might learn something.

A

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 01-10-2008).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

I first heard it on Happy Days
Racing for ownership of the cars has been done for as long as there have been cars, before that it was wagons, horses, bikes, mice... The list goes on and on
PFF
System Bot
RichLo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to ad to your post

Originally posted by Archie:

I'm sure that an LT1 turbo setup has been done many times on other cars. The thing that you're missing is that everyone of those other cars had test & tune sessions to get the car dialed in before going all out.

Not only that but all the other cars with turbo LT1s have proven setups that have already been tested... bullet proof transmissions, rear ends, driveshfts, REAR SUSPENSION! From what I saw, MotorTV was testing the rear suspension on what it would do under full load and instand unloading. this is the most dangerous part of drag racing especially with a car that is setup for drag racing and has enough power behind it to loose control with sudden load transfers. An example, go out in your 200hp v6, wind it up to 6000rpm in 1st gear, then let off the gas pedal instantly (if auto, keep it in low)... feel that force? now imagine if your car had 3x as much power and you were going 80mph, what will happen in a fiero? NOBODY KNOWS!! nobody has done it before, its not a Camaro with a turbo LT1 with a 4-link and perfect 55/45 weight transfer. There are more physics to drag racing then press a pedal and go straight, I really hope some day everybody reading this will wonder over to an actual drag racing forum and troll there for a while, you WILL learn something.

This should be required reading for anybody looking to criticise MotorTV or anybody else for testing and tuning their fiero for drag racing. It gives good detailed information about setting up an automobile in general for drag racing. Please read it and go over it until you fully understand it and if you have questions on it I would be more then happy to explain the concepts more in-depth.
http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2363

Originally posted by Archie:
It's easy to understand why dozens of Fiero V-8 owners would never post any info on their cars, when they see all the crap they have to take from a bunch of punks who haven't got 2 dimes to rub together. No matter how good those numbers are & no matter how satisfied they are with the results, there's always some berger flippin' troll who's going to bash him.

me being one of them, I will not share any more info on my car then what is in my sig until I get a timeslip and even then it will be minimal... I might have something to brag about, I might not. But Im not going to put my setup out there to be shot down. I know what I have and that is all that matters to me, I dont give a f*** what anybody else thinks, I dont need to brag like I did in high school and I sure as hell wount make a challenge that Im not 100% ready to accept!

Good luck MotorTV, Im looking forward to seeing the final result of your efforts!

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
dual stage nitrous injected
built 5-speed getrag

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
I love this forum..... and the REAL FIERO TECH idiot's too... hehehe
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

k, I dont care.

This thread has gotten interesting and funny. So you make a challange, Archie takes up on that challange, and now you're backing out of it. Yeah Dude, you've been... Please, plug up that pie hole!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 01-10-2008).]

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I used to have so much fun with people like you in my GN. I bought it brand new in the Fall of 87. It was bone stock with the exception of a 160° thermostat and a Kenne Bell Hi-Lo Pro chip that upped boost to 19 psi.

Nope, I don't have dyno or time slips, but I did royally ruin an SS 396 4-speed Chevelle owner's entire weekend.

And you probably never saw a GNX since they were very limited production and known collectibles right off the showroom floor. People who bought them for $30k when a regular GN was under $20 (mine stickered for right at $19k) didn't mod or race them. I'm sure a few did, but that would be a very small minority.

I'm guessing it ran 12s. Low or high 12s would depends a LOT on the ambient temp. They were incredibly sensitive to air temp. You get a hot GN that just drove in, and it's 90° outside, and it's not going to be impressive. Get one that's just barely up to operating temp with cold air... and watch out. The rule of thumb when they were new was that each 1° below 70° was +1 HP. And you lost HP above 70°. Off the showroom floor on a warm day, they were high 13 second cars. But there was a LOT of variability in those numbers based on atmosphere conditions.

hahahahahaha this is NY sir, we had more gnx's running around than gn's. they were sold at a premium price, closer to 40k here. basically mid life crisis or spoiled rich kid cars. I personally knew 3 people who bought them. fun for racing the kids in 5l mustangs and camarobirds, but they never ran them for money. there were at least 2 stage 3's that I know of, where the car was flatbedded off from the dealer to someplace in Ohio I think, and all the work done, then flatbedded back. Supposed to be a 10 sec car, but no one ever saw one run anywhere near that. and the price for that work was almost as much as the car was supposed to sticker for. silly.
so you put a chip in and it went real fast huh? While I don;t doubt your word on your race, I would not conclude that others were so fortunate. I know Kenne Bell,they made great stuff for buick motors, one of the limited sources for that stuff. I had a couple thousand dollars worth of their parts IN the motor.
Custom cam took 6 months to show up. their custom 10.5 forged pistons and oversized valves. plus a lot of machine shop work, alot to avoid the problems inherent in the original 3.8l block and cranks, and alot to make the motor smoother.
the turbo ones never ran right, I heard that "it's too cold, damp, hot, dry stuff". they didn;t race much here, they were a pretty show car at the meets.
Unfortunately, I did like the car, the look and the body style, even the motor was a great leap in design and performance from the factory, but it was not the car I would have for a race/weekend car. nice daily driver tho.

And to give you an idea of how serious the racing was here, there was one night a couple of rails ran on the street in a grudge match. that , unfortunately spelled the deathknell for one of the hottest spots (there were pictures that made it in to the local paper), but it sure was fun while it lasted.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

hahahahahaha this is NY sir, we had more gnx's running around than gn's. they were sold at a premium price, closer to 40k here. basically mid life crisis or spoiled rich kid cars. I personally knew 3 people who bought them. fun for racing the kids in 5l mustangs and camarobirds, but they never ran them for money. there were at least 2 stage 3's that I know of, where the car was flatbedded off from the dealer to someplace in Ohio I think, and all the work done, then flatbedded back. Supposed to be a 10 sec car, but no one ever saw one run anywhere near that. and the price for that work was almost as much as the car was supposed to sticker for. silly.
so you put a chip in and it went real fast huh? While I don;t doubt your word on your race, I would not conclude that others were so fortunate. I know Kenne Bell,they made great stuff for buick motors, one of the limited sources for that stuff. I had a couple thousand dollars worth of their parts IN the motor.
Custom cam took 6 months to show up. their custom 10.5 forged pistons and oversized valves. plus a lot of machine shop work, alot to avoid the problems inherent in the original 3.8l block and cranks, and alot to make the motor smoother.
the turbo ones never ran right, I heard that "it's too cold, damp, hot, dry stuff". they didn;t race much here, they were a pretty show car at the meets.
Unfortunately, I did like the car, the look and the body style, even the motor was a great leap in design and performance from the factory, but it was not the car I would have for a race/weekend car. nice daily driver tho.

And to give you an idea of how serious the racing was here, there was one night a couple of rails ran on the street in a grudge match. that , unfortunately spelled the deathknell for one of the hottest spots (there were pictures that made it in to the local paper), but it sure was fun while it lasted.

I wouldn't dream of arguing with you. I would just mention there were 547 GNXs built. It sounds like to me you saw a lot of liars and poseurs. But we run into that a lot in this hobby, even in NY.

The colder the weather, the faster my GN ran. But it was just stock with a chip. It wouldn't compare to serious race cars. I suspect those guys having problems getting them to run right didn't know how to work on a turbo or a Buick 90° V6, because they ran quick and smooth from the factory. Any problems had to be introduced by the modifications.
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Direct Link to This Post
well i'll make you a deal. we are taking a gn with 270k on the clock to the track on the 19th, along with my 3800sc fiero. only mods are exhaust and meth. it's an intercooled car. i'd be willing to bet it's faster then any slip you've got for the car you are talking about. i'll even take some video of the day for you. i've personally seen a stage 2 car in the 8's.

anyways the title of this thread is misleading. when i popped in i thought it would be a dyno sheet and timeslip. it does have a bunch of good info in the thread though.

so does no one want to do a track day at the next daytona event?
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Sorry tjm4fun but you have been listening to way to many rumors. (Or making your own up)

First off the GNX was limited production as well as limited sales. Not all dealerships got them and the ones that did only had a few of them. ACS/McLaren made the Stage 1 and Stage 2 options for the GNX, There was never a Stage 3.
The Stage 2 straight from ACS/McLaren ran 11.8.
GN's and GNX's with the Stage 2, intercoolers and other mods have gotten into the 8-second range.
I know someone who has a GN in the high 8's that runs at thr Route 66 drag strip every year.

I think you are getting the T-type Regal, the regular GN and the GNX mixed up.
They all shared the same basic body . The GN's and GNX's were both very similar and black.

Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Where the hell is this thread going?
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Man--I thought I logged into a Fiero forum not a GN Forum. All theses I used to own and it was this and that. Where are these cars today?

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
this thread went to hell in a handbasket a long time ago, was done wrong, should have been first pass, reasons, mods, second pass,results, dyno tweak, and results of research ie almost final pass. asking people to speculate was just asking for trouble.

I had a long post I just deleted.
the cars go to the money Orief. over 40+ gnx's were sold on long island alone. not all went into a garage to rot away.

No STOCK gnx ever hit 8's -- that is pure bullcrap.
no off the showroom floor gnx hit low 11's. more crap.

There were obvious differences from the gn to gnx,other than the sticker price and premium dealer mark up. I almost bought one, but had a kid instead. (and the end of building cars)
the difference from a gn and a gnx was minimal.
taller gears in the rear. same block. same pistons, slightly better cam. different (old school) tranny, slightly larger turbo.different shocks and heavier sway bars. BFD. a glorified family car. oh, they had a nice interior and a custom paint scheme. ooooh. add a sticker. 1st gen ricer.
the gnx is a legend in their owners minds. nothing more. stock they were useless.

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

this thread went to hell in a handbasket a long time ago, was done wrong, should have been first pass, reasons, mods, second pass,results, dyno tweak, and results of research ie almost final pass. asking people to speculate was just asking for trouble.

I had a long post I just deleted.
the cars go to the money Orief. over 40+ gnx's were sold on long island alone. not all went into a garage to rot away.

There were obvious differences from the gn to gnx,other than the sticker price and premium dealer mark up. I almost bought one, but had a kid instead. (and the end of building cars)
the difference from a gn and a gnx was minimal.
taller gears in the rear. same block. same pistons, slightly better cam. different (old school) tranny, slightly larger turbo.different shocks and heavier sway bars. BFD. a glorified family car. oh, they had a nice interior and a custom paint scheme. ooooh. add a sticker. 1st gen ricer.
the gnx is a legend in their owners minds. nothing more. stock they were useless.

Stock both the GN and GNX were the fastest production American cars when new. Only the Porsche Turbo was in the same league in North America. That is documented fact.

I don't know about these Stage 1, 2, 3 whatever setups. I know the GNX was rated at 300 HP compared to the GN's 245 HP. It had a different intercooler, turbo, suspension, wheels, and cosmetic changes. The basic engine; however, was not changed. It was basically a tuner version of a GN. But, being limited edition and only 547 made, it was known they would all be collectibles. They were all sold before the first one hit the showroom floor.

As for performance, there are a lot of rumors out there. The April '87 Motor Trend listed an 87 GNX with a 14.19 second quarter mile, but that was "estimated." The May '87 Car & Driver clocked one at 13.5 @ 102. 0-60 in 4.7s. According to the article on page 137 of the May 87 Car & Driver;

"In 0-to-60 performance, the only car available in the U.S. that matches the Buick is the Callaway Twin-Turbo Corvette, and the only one that beats it is the Porsche 911 Turbo, at 4.6 seconds."

Considering how similar the engines were and that you'd upgrade things like the turbo, suspension and intercooler in any buildup, it seems stupid to me to buy a GNX to modify it for racing.

But if this Buick discussion is going to continue, it really should get it's own T-O/T thread. This is way off topic.

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
God DH you are so dumb. I feel ashamed being in the same city as you. How about we go race at Milan?

------------------
Christian
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Burgandy/Silver 5.7L ZZ4 5spd, 88 suspension, C6 polished wheels, C5 Z06 brakes, Konis, poly'd, Spec Stg 3
301rwhp/345rwtq
Stovebolt Powered!!!!!
06 Cobalt SS/SC w/ LSD (the slow DD)

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CTFieroGT87:

God DH you are so dumb. I feel ashamed being in the same city as you. How about we go race at Milan?

HAHHAAH if you only knew how much we make fun of your car when we see it ROFL!!!!!
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
I'm rather disappointed in you Scott
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

I guess you did not read my post correctly.
I never said a "stock" GNX ran in the 8's, I said a Stage 2 with other modifications have gotten down into the 8's. See: http://www.turbobuick.com/dale_cherry_car.html
I never said a GNX off the showroom floor went low 11's. I said with the Stage 2 upgrade (you had to send the car to ACS/McLaren AFTER you bought it) they ran 11.8.

Maybe you should look here:
http://www.buickgnx.com/
or even here:
http://www.turbobuick.com/

If you really want to know what "pure bullcrap" is, Saying that they used "custom 10.5 forged pistons" is a really good example.

Now to get back on topic:

How is this thread done wrong??
He started running his testing. He posted his initial test runs and many jumped all over him for not doing his "final run".
Even you posted at least seven steps. Chuck is basically at step one. Remember he started this in the fall, so it's not like he can go to a track tomorrow (they are all closed for the winter around here.)

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 01-11-2008).]

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MotorTV:

You would think after DH got owned so bad you would have laid low...

What has he got to do with me? we have never spoken.

First off... you might want to read the thread your are talking about... you won't look so silly , as your answers are already there....

please quote your answer as to why when you were going all out from 2nd to third, you were slower than a gtp in the same length.

Second... have you ever driven a Fiero with a stick shift?

Yes, I converted my auto to a 4spd and then to a 5spd

Third ... you are comparing two completly different kinds of cars... It's true they both have four wheels but you need to look at more then just that... lol

Why, you should have the advantage in every aspect.

It seems I have come up with substansial data, asked a geniune question, and because I'm not kissing your ass, you call me a troll? You started this thread to discuss your time slips, I'm try to discuss them. Your avoiding the questions.

[This message has been edited by p8ntman442 (edited 01-11-2008).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I am waiting for the manual v8 guys to accept my challenge, I will race for whatever, money/pinks, heads up best of 5 races pinks style anywhere in the midwest.

I do stuff other than watch threads on here...
….

I dont think I am about to agree to a race without knowing anything about the car I am racing. I have information on every single part of my car available on the net here, and I dont even have an idea of what he wants to bring.

You still have not said what car you are going to bring to the table, but unfortunately the time I have to play with cars as a kid is coming to and end after this next summer, and I just want to enjoy what I have and drive it all year.

I didnt mean to say I am not going to do this, If I run across some deals that will make my race car possible money wise, I could consider this at a greatly reduced entry price. I want to know what great setup archie will bring against me before I consider dumping money into my car to bring it up from daily driver status.
….

….

k, I dont care.
QUOTE]

Boy have you selfrated yourself... LOL! Haven't seen anyone falling so bad here...
RichLo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post

Why, you should have the advantage in every aspect.

are you kidding me?

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
dual stage nitrous injected
built 5-speed getrag

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
I just wanted to say to DH that I'm sorry about what I said, I sounded like a d!ck. I'll be down at Milan in the spring time during the test and tunes, feel free to come on down.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock