Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  MotorTV Time Slip and Dyno Run (Page 10)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
MotorTV Time Slip and Dyno Run by MotorTV
Started on: 09-27-2007 09:15 PM
Replies: 386
Last post by: Joseph Upson on 09-14-2008 07:46 AM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I was inaccurate in my first post, I was thinking of something else. It all depends on how he was setup, I usually setup stuff like that to run in openloop.
IP: Logged
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I was inaccurate in my first post.

That's nothing new

I was thinking of something else. .

Like how your reputation is looking

It all depends on how he was setup, I usually setup stuff like that to run in openloop.

Why does that not surprise me?
AJxtcman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by prostreet505:

The only time the O2's are not referenced is when the computer is in open loop. You are getting your facts from a supercharged engine where the computer will not control fuel off of the O2 but rather a map or a maf. That is not true on a turbo engine it maintains fuel control off of the O2.
Do alittle research before making a statement that you are unsure of.

The PCM uses the O2 sensor readings to adjust A/F ratio at WOT and in PE mode.
prostreet505

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AJxtcman:

The PCM uses the O2 sensor readings to adjust A/F ratio at WOT and in PE mode.

On a turbo charged engine the pcm will still maintain fuel contol off of the O2 at WOT.
Your close enough to me, if you don't believe me we can set something up and I can show you what happens to the fuel trim at WOT.
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

On a turbo charged engine the pcm will still maintain fuel contol off of the O2 at WOT.
Your close enough to me, if you don't believe me we can set something up and I can show you what happens to the fuel trim at WOT.

So the fuel trim is enabled?
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

So the fuel trim is enabled?

On a turbo LT series engine yes. Not the case on a supercharged or LS series engine.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't chuck running a LT series engine?

[This message has been edited by prostreet505 (edited 01-14-2008).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by AJxtcman (edited 01-14-2008).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

AJxtcman

1098 posts
Member since Nov 2006

On a turbo LT series engine yes. Not the case on a supercharged or LS series engine.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't chuck running a LT series engine?

LT engine in PE?
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post

LT engine in PE?

I was not aware he was running in PE. Thats my mistake then. If he is running in PE then there is no O2 fuel control at WOT. I did not see that in the thread with all the garble. I quess I shouldn't assume.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
MotorTVs car has an ECM which uses a wideband O2 for fuel control? What setup is that again?

There aren't that many ECMs (even in the aftermarket) that use a wideband, are there?

If so, I want one....
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

MotorTVs car has an ECM which uses a wideband O2 for fuel control? What setup is that again?

There aren't that many ECMs (even in the aftermarket) that use a wideband, are there?

If so, I want one....

I'm thinking the wideband O2 was on the dyno, and the ECM was polling narrowband sensors.
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
MotorTV, I did read the thread but I guess I missed the part about the WB, which is why I asked. I was also unaware as to which computer you were running.

I'm in the process of wiring in a mustang AEM EMS box to my 3800 just for the sake of the WB sensor input to the EMS as well as the boost comp fuel tables. (Tunability and coil per plug as well, but the WB is a big deal) At the moment, I'm running an OBD1 pcm on the 3800, and the fueling doesn't seem to be controlled in the same manner as yours is. Or rather, it isn't set up the same way at the very least. I DO have my wideband hooked up to the ECM input at the moment but i'm using the 5v EGR reference pin. The WB outputs a 5v signal which i tricked the PCM to accept. I haven't been able to tune using this yet, but it sure makes it a lot easier to log data against the other engine parameters. Its an LC1 btw. I'm going to be going through many of the same issues you are now, so I think its good that this information is discussed. Especially with relationship to the car setup and initial testing.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 01-15-2008).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
the PCM adjusts the "desired AFR" based on what it sees from the narrowband, it would never drown out anything unless your tuning is way wrong.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

the PCM adjusts the "desired AFR" based on what it sees from the narrowband, it would never drown out anything unless your tuning is way wrong.

More "expert" advice from the closet? Have you not been paying attention? (ok, dumb question. of course you haven't. You've been too busy making challenges you're afraid to back up.) The run was done to get information. He's not done tuning it.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
You guys need to grow up

Seriously
bornobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bornobsessedSend a Private Message to bornobsessedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RideZiLightning:

You guys need to grow up

Seriously

Agreed, and I need to stop reading this soap opera b/s.
Too bad ACTUAL tech problems don't get this many replies, why do the pissing matches get all the attention?
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bornobsessed:
Too bad ACTUAL tech problems don't get this many replies, why do the pissing matches get all the attention?

Ego.
RichLo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bornobsessed:

theres too many people pissing in the same pool

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
dual stage nitrous injected
built 5-speed getrag

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

If so, I want one....

I work on several GM cars with Wide Band sensors on them.
greengoblin0129

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

More "expert" advice from the closet? Have you not been paying attention? (ok, dumb question. of course you haven't. You've been too busy making challenges you're afraid to back up.) The run was done to get information. He's not done tuning it.

If he's not done turning it why did he post a thread saying "Time Slip and Dyno Run"? Just say "MotorTV's test and tune" or something. This thread was only posted to stir sh*t imo.
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

I work on several GM cars with Wide Band sensors on them.

which ecms use wideband o2s?
PFF
System Bot
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:

which ecms use wideband o2s?

Craptera's from 99 to 01
CTS except V series 03 to current
STS models from 05 to current
SRX models 04 to current
XLR models 04 to current
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by greengoblin0129:

If he's not done turning it why did he post a thread saying "Time Slip and Dyno Run"? Just say "MotorTV's test and tune" or something. This thread was only posted to stir sh*t imo.

You'd have to ask him that. But he's already stated it was a test run, so regardless of the topic title, that's what he was doing. He's attempted to explain multiple times what he was doing and why, but people keep arguing like they think he should just crank the boost as high as it will go, punch it and see what happens.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Craptera's from 99 to 01
CTS except V series 03 to current
STS models from 05 to current
SRX models 04 to current
XLR models 04 to current

I really don't think an ECM for a new V-6 or a Northstar is going to work with a LT1 SBC.
Just because newer engines have them dose not mean that you can get one to work with an older engine.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 01-17-2008).]

AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

I really don't think an ECM for a new V-6 or a Northstar is going to work with a LT1 SBC.
Just because newer engines have them dose not mean that you can get one to work with an older engine.

DID YOU MISS THIS?

If so, I want one....

Yes GM uses Wide Band O2 sensors on many of today's engines. I did not say an old oil leaking POS SBC. Some old POS that runs a distributor yet. Yeah that make a lot of sence. The ignition is all over the place and you run are running Wide Bands.

They stopped using Distributors for a reason.

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
I love this car. I for one use to be involved in most of the bashing threads when people think cars like this with a turbo and a V8 should be running in the 10's. Who really cares, it's not your car and it's not your problem. Chuck you have a beautiful car and a lot of hard work involved in it.

What suspension mods in the rear do you have to fit that big of a tire? I have a 88 with coilovers and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 265 tire/maybe 275 possibly and wanted to know if I need to do anything to make it work.

------------------

1 of 2: Graphite Grey Pearl 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 97 GTP Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 12.0@118mph, 1.89 60ft w/True Street Radial Tires not Drag Radials!)

My CarDomain Site
My Friend Garrod's CarDomain Site

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
I don't recall if I posted info on it before but, Code 59 is modified 749 Syclone/Typhoon code to 3 bar MAP use, with distributor and DIS ignition capability across the 749 and 730 ecms'. The significance here is that it has also been enabled with calibration tables for use of four different WBO2 types using Tunerpro software. There are also a few tunes available for download as a baseline.

http://www.code59.org/
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock