Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  The 'What I'm Seeing Today' thread. (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The 'What I'm Seeing Today' thread. by maryjane
Started on: 04-21-2016 01:31 PM
Replies: 505 (10586 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 04-04-2024 09:44 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw this yesterday. One of the cooler abandoned houses I have seen.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-31-2016).]

IP: Logged
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stucco walls on laths--I haven't seen that in a long long time.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Heres another possible time trip, I took this pic Saturday at the farm where I grew up.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Obviously, way too many trees present!!!!

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

Definition of a home owner, "see the door threshold, without my permission, there and no futher.......

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2016 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming back from Phuket, Thailand and saw this brand new Airbus A350.

For comparison, the relatively new Boeing B787.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got back from my bicycle ride.....104o outside....this ol' town gets kinda' quiet when it starts to warm up outside.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2016 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what the desert looks like whenever it gets a cool drink of water. This is just six miles from my house.

Anybody recognize this guy?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2016 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

This is what the desert looks like whenever it gets a cool drink of water. This is just six miles from my house.

They call those an oasis right, where animals go to not die?

I enjoy your pics.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-26-2016).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2016 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

They call those an oasis right, where animals go to not die?

I enjoy your pics.

Thanks!
Around here, we call that a river, because........well.......because we just don't know any better, I guess. When it actually has water flowing, we call it a flood.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put together a children's bench from Lowe's for my daughter's little library:

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice!
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2016 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very nice!

Thanks! Meant to ask if that was the Agua Fria, New or Gila River in your pic. The Gila is the only one I recall having water in it this time of year.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2016 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:
Thanks! Meant to ask if that was the Agua Fria, New or Gila River in your pic. The Gila is the only one I recall having water in it this time of year.

That is New River just above its confluence with the Agua Fria, right next to the Glendale Airport. That bike path has benches looking west so that you can sit and watch the runway. The view is more or less to the south, so those are the Estrellas in the background.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 08-27-2016).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Fiero "mud-car" seen in a storage lot today:

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2016 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got back from my bicycle ride and I saw l lady walking a little pug dog who was wearing a raincoat! I mean, this little dog could have been on a box of fish sticks. I should have stopped to take a picture.
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2016 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At a pillow jump in Seattle, my eleven year old grandson:

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2016 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2016 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3rd one in the last 3 weeks...takes a couple days for the gases to go to work and up they float.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-03-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2016 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

3rd one in the last 3 weeks...takes a couple days for the gases to go to work and up they float.

Lead poisoning?

Heh.. if you took that pic up here in a few months, I would have thought he dived and landed on ice

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-04-2016).]

jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2016 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slow day at work, so today I ran a test on one of my Polaroid cameras.

The model I'm using is a 195 Land Camera, which was made from 1974-76 and was one of very-few models built for professional use (it has full-manual controls and a glass lens that stops all the way down to f/3.8 - a consumer-grade Polaroid camera is usually in the f/8 range). The lens has threads for some proprietary filters and close-up kits - the latter was merely a set of goggles to go over the viewfinder, and a diopter filter that screws-on. The OEM filter size for this guy is 46mm, so I bought a step-up ring to accept more common (and cheaper) 49mm lenses and filters.

I picked-up a fisheye for $10.change on eBay and wanted to see what the image quality was like. It fits 49mm lenses and is largely meant for screwing onto camcorders.
Polaroid never made a fisheye for these, nor have I really seen anyone experiment with one until now.

First the control shot, without the lens. Focus was on the pins.

Then with the same settings and fisheye. I had the camera on a tripod and did not change position.
I'm happy with the results, it's not distortion-crazy like the 8mm I have for my DSLR, but it will help when I want to shoot with this camera in a tight spot.

I then needed to test if adding filters, which further push the lens (already sitting on a step-up ring) away from the main glass, was going to cause vignetting or focusing issues. I saw neither of those, here.
I used an ND32 filter in this scenario, and changed the shutter speed to compensate. The ND32 is so I can meter this film at an iso of 100 instead of 3200, allowing me to crank the aperture wide-open for a shallow depth of field. For color film (which is iso 100), I also use a warming filter to counter that film's otherwise-cold tones.

Now to shoot with it in the field.

[This message has been edited by jonrev (edited 10-05-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2016 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
/\ cool
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2016 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The riparian area that runs along my bicycle path is popular with bird watchers. There are Great Egrets, Blue Herons and many others.
I love to watch the hawks ride the thermals. They can go for a minute or more without flapping their wings. Today I saw four of them spiraling around together.

Tuesday I saw a Roadrunner and yesterday a Coyote, but nary an Acme anvil or rocket motor in sight.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2016 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm having trouble uploading images. Also some images are missing. Anyone else or is it me?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2016 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

I'm having trouble uploading images. Also some images are missing. Anyone else or is it me?

My computer does something odd sometimes. When I open a thread I can see the pics...once. If I go elseware and come back some of the pics are tiny black boxes.
Loading pics always works for me, I use photobucket.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-07-2016).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2016 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PIP is working this morning. Ok, this was yesterday.

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A garter snake sunning atop a 3' high hedge.

jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More Polaroids. Shot at a car show in Chicago, yesterday...

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2016 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An Osprey on a power pole.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2016 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

An Osprey on a power pole.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
Top "cross arm" is there so Osprey is happy and safe.
Other places to the same and often use "dead" poles w/ arms at top to hold the nests too.
Island Beach State Park, NJ have/had nest poles in the park. http://www.longbeachislandj...l.com/animals/osprey (but page only show nest on HV power tower.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I watched a Waco doing touch and go at Glendale Municipal Airport today. I love the sound of a radial.

jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some neon I found west of Chicago. Taken with a Polaroid SX-70.

PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I visited this place today.
VERY cool.....except for the simulated infant and toddler cadavers.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't post pictures, but the autumn leaves are absolutely breathtaking......
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pumpkins and more pumpkins:

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the cotton's just about ready.

Although it's hard to see in this pic, there was a guy out there spraying what I think was a defoliant that they use before they run over it with the picker.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-07-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2016 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I can't post pictures, but the autumn leaves are absolutely breathtaking......

We'll take you word for it

Ours were kinda muted this year, and are now mostly fallen.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was kind of cool to see. Mt Fuji.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like the cotton's just about ready.

Although it's hard to see in this pic, there was a guy out there spraying what I think was a defoliant that they use before they run over it with the picker.

Defoliant usually occurs after harvest but use of insecticide to keep boll weevils and other insects in abatement goes on from the time the bolls first appear in mid summer (still covered in green skin) until right before harvest. Some farmers defoliate with what looks like a sprayer, but it's really a high pressure washer to blow the dead leaves off after harvest. They defoliate to ensure the insecticide gets a clearer shot at the stalks, where the weevil larvae are at that stage of growth.

Great picture Hudini!! I've seen Mt Fuji from the ground when clouds obscured the summit, but not from the air. I have seen just the tops of the Quesons sticking out a solid fluffy floor in RVN and cloud cover rolling off the edge of upper elevation near Hai Van Pass like a big fluffy waterfall. Took a picture of it, but the still didn't do it justice. (that was back in the day before cheap & easy video)

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Defoliant usually occurs after harvest but use of insecticide to keep boll weevils and other insects in abatement goes on from the time the bolls first appear in mid summer (still covered in green skin) until right before harvest. Some farmers defoliate with what looks like a sprayer, but it's really a high pressure washer to blow the dead leaves off after harvest. They defoliate to ensure the insecticide gets a clearer shot at the stalks, where the weevil larvae are at that stage of growth.

Maybe it's different in Arizona?

http://extension.arizona.ed...iles/pubs/az1561.pdf

http://extension.arizona.ed...iles/pubs/az1556.pdf

I passed by there today and there are more, bigger open bolls; but the remaining leaves are now all brown and dry.
I am a city boy. The only thing I have ever grown successfully is old.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-14-2016).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe it's different in Arizona?

Probably. Texas still has boll weevil problems but other states have completed the USDA eradication programs.
Boll weevil was eradicated in most of Calif and Arizona is one of about 7-8 other cotton producing states that have been declared by USDA to be boll weevil free since the mid 90s.

Eradicating the boll weevil

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), in cooperation with state governments and grower organizations, is coordinating a nationwide effort to eradicate the boll weevil from U.S. cotton-production regions. The program uses intensive pheromone trapping, pin-head applications based on pheromone trapping, in-season insecticide applications when needed and intensive diapause-control programs to reduce populations to far below economic significance.

As of 1994, boll weevils had been eradicated from North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, California, Arizona and parts of Alabama. Active programs are underway in Alabama, Texas and parts of Tennessee and Mississippi. In North Carolina, where the boll weevil has been eradicated the longest, cotton acreages have increased from fewer than 100,000 acres to more than 450,000 acres. Insecticide applications have been reduced by approximately 50 percent. In Georgia, insecticide applications have been cut from 10 to 12 per season to about four per season, and acreage has grown from fewer than 200,000 acres to almost 1,000,000 acres.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-14-2016).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock