operation turd polish by shemdogg
Started on: 05-01-2017 09:20 PM
Replies: 448 (16708 views)
Last post by: shemdogg on 05-30-2020 10:26 AM
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2020 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got mosta the hood and roof sanded, lil bit to do on the a pillars.

Neighbors kid across the street came over to check out the car. Is this a 1992 ferrari f40lm? the kid asks, turns out hes a huge ferrari fan and proceeds to educate me on the history lol. Couldnt tell the difference looking at pictures on his phone, all the details were there. Made me smile

shem
IP: Logged
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2020 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

shemdogg

1268 posts
Member since Apr 2017
Putting the cart in front of the horse/ seizing the carp- I bought the paint and clear and reducer and hardener and all the other stuff they told me I needed. PPg baby. Car will be painted red on this page. Some booglies on the hood to get at and I cant find the primer, but paint, soon.

shem
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2020 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can't wait to see it done but take your time as it will pay off in the end as i look at the car i painted and now say i should have taken a bit more time prepping and prep is one of the keys to a good finish

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 05-10-2020).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the part of the project where you take your time, be picky as a possible and don't rush anything.

Great job so far shem!
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2020 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am being picky but I know ill miss a bunch of things I wont see until its painted. Ill be painting this a few times for sure. Itll be a gudenuf paint job, im thinking gudenuf will be the license plate. Hoods taking a buncha time but coming out really good. Finding and repairing lotsa low spots. Hoods very close to being ready, working the wheel wells now. They need lotsa love for sure. Got the big compressor hooked up, just need some 30wt. Looking forward to painting w the right compressor, shooting the primer w my lil pancake compressor sucked

Gotta stop playing hookey and get back to work but its going to be tough lol im pooped
Rather spend what little energy I have sanding the car lol

shem
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2020 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And I did, I spent most of yesterday on the car attacking details I skipped over before. Beefed up the lower hood edges near the latches, extended a scoop, and beefed up the inside of the area I cut up recently. Cleaned up a buncha nastiness under the hood. Did a buncha sanding and glassed a ton of areas. Just one more area to glass and its all filling details.

Had to get at a cupla spots in hyah too

Major love to wheelwells, airbags make for great access

Getting closer to paint

shem
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive worked on the car at least a few hours a day every day since the last post. Joedad your post made me be very picky and do much more detail work. Wednesday im in the driveway w the youngster and the garage door open. A good looking lady in a nice car pulls up, looks at me lowering her sunglasses and says,"wow nice, what year?" Never one to let a situation go to waste, I gove her an intriguing man face and some james t kirk body language and reply, "thanks im a 1977". She laughs and says "no the car". I give her a very disappointed "OH" and motion to the fierarri"its an 86". She says no the mustang, I say oh jeez! its a 66! She says Wow beautiful. I say thanks I try to work out. She smiles and drives off. 2 doors down lol. Lotsa people come by and always ask about the mustang, barely anyone asks about the fierarri. I wonder if that will change when its red. Prepping for primer yesterday, and old man on the other side of the street yells to me- You working on an airplane?!, I replied. HUH? lol He said what the hell is that a jet plane in your driveway?! lmao Another guy on a bike came by yesterday staring at the car and says, wow thats an f40. I say no its not. He just looks at me- what is it? Pontiac I reply. He gives me a look like im bullshitting and rides off. lol

Been attacking all kindsa details on the car being pretty damn anal. went thru 2 tubes of spot putty and finished of the kitty hair. still a few areas that need lotsa love but it should come out decent. Got the mustang suspension finished and washed and got a cover for it. Got the big compressor plumbed and changed the oil. Took it around the block to blow the dust off(the mustang), then cleaned it up. Thats a damn good looking car

Got the garage cleared out and plastic up, blew out the garage, blew off the car and got errthang ready. Cleaned out the gun w some acetone, and started mixing primer. Uh oh all the high build solids have congealed at the bottom. Bad. I spent 20 mins stirring breaking up the goop and got it mixed good enuf. Strained it and loaded up the gun. Tired, its damn hot, but im exicted. Spraying w this big ol compressor should be much easier than that lil 6 gal pancake. God likes to mess w me, im his comedy show. Everythings a friggin gauntlet to run, hey its an adventure! I get about 10 mins into spraying and the compressor and lights shut off in the garage. Damn a breaker popped, I go to the panel and everything good. Hmmm, then a neighbor across the street yells, hey is your power out too? Fooooock! Now what the hell am I gonna do? Brain starts racing, whos got a genny? I pace for a few mins contemplating options, then the power comes back after 10 mins. So I start shooting again. Then the compressor starts getting loud. Then louder so I shut it off and use the pressure in the tank. When I start the compressor again- Majorly nasty friggin rod knock or piston slap, crazy bad. Fooooock! Now what? OH! I have the pancake compressor here lol, and there I am again spraying w the pancake. 30 seconds of spray time for 3 minutes of refill time. Yay. Got done just in time, the primer was starting to gel up in the gun.

I have maybe another 50 hours in sanding in this week, been going to town. The groove in the hood needed a ton of love, I made a bunch of custom sanding blocks from wood stakes and plywood. For my arch nemesis the rear vents, I sanded down one of my long sanders and its working out perfect

Todays going to be all wet sanding and cleanup, dunno if ill paint today. Def dont wanna paint w the pancake. My cuz nextdoor has another one, maybe ill pipe the 2 together worst case scenario. Or pipe them to the 60 gal tank,options options.
Always a million things I fergit to mention but, yeah you get the idear.
Have a grate day!

shem
Sage

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageClick Here to Email SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking good!

HAGO!
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you sage! Almost to paint now. Wet sanded w 320, wiped it off and saw tons of orange peel and a few billion more divots, pinholes, and small air pockets. Lots of em, wow lots of em. Went over it w 120, shot another coat yesterday evenin. Outta primer now and found a few more pinholes but it looks very smooth and even. Going to fill the rest of the holes today and hit it w some 400 afterwards, everythings easier to see when its dark grey and clean. Glassed a bunch more areas around the wheel wells and some other spots, being pretty picky and anxious to shoot the paint. No drips this round, got the gun and me dialed in. Kinda small pattern, feels like im painting w a pencil eraser or lil bigger spray can. Used to my house sprayer, that thing kicks out a ton of paint in a big fan. Im really going to town on this, surprised how picky and detailed im being. And how long its taking! Here it is, in gray, again

Looking good, all edges are sharp(thatr supposed to be), everything fitting good, cleaned up the thicknesses of panels thatr uneven, lotsa nonsense. Even got my arch nemesees the burr, I mean rear vents(sorry too much moonshiners) looks perfect. unlyke my speling. Every coat I find more thing that dont look good that I take care of and I did a lot of housekeeping on this round. It looks really good close up. Found a neighbor that had the 33gal compressor in the top pic. Thing took forever to fill,I checked it it was at 140something(150 max). It shut off soon after and I closed the garage door and its pitch black inside, I knew I had the lights on- maybe someone shut em off. Checked em, switch is on, maybe the breaker? Yep breakers tripped, turn it on and hear the compressor just trying to pump lug lug lug and the breaker pops. I just laugh, gonna shoot off the tank then run the lil pancake compressor. The air suspension compressors pull way more power at higher tank pressure and trip my cars breaker. Figured that might be the issue w this, tank got low, I plugged it back in, it choked a few times and purred like it should. Didnt let it get over 130 psi and it was all good!

redsa comin

shem

on second thought I want a testarossa, and pronto
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave