Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Designing a new dash need a few ideas (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Designing a new dash need a few ideas by OH10fiero
Started on: 11-01-2002 11:37 AM
Replies: 1071 (131312 views)
Last post by: rbell2915 on 02-08-2021 09:01 PM
OH10fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone. One of the biggest complaints that I have heard on the Forum is that the Fiero dash is just too out of date for the car. So when I told a friend of mine that I was going to cut up an old worn out dash and redesign it, they said they were interested in possibly offering it to the forum for sale. Now what I need to know is what would YOU change on the dash, how would you like it to look? I would like your input in a few areas such as Gauge location as well as options. Ex. would you like to use the stock gaugues or aftermarket. Speaker options, glove box, so on and so forth. Please do not get too specific, remember we would like to design something that everyone would like to have in thier car. Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing I plan to keep with my custom dash is the stock mounting locations. Everything else has to go!

------------------

TBK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TBKClick Here to visit TBK's HomePageSend a Private Message to TBKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you did one like this, I would buy it.

------------------
'Course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
-TBK (The Black Knight)
'87 GT

[This message has been edited by TBK (edited 11-01-2002).]

DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let the buyer choose gauge options, in other words don't precut for any specific gauges. I kind of like the center pod to be slightly angled toward the driver position. I've seen a couple of nice ones already available, are you thinking you can undercut their pricing? Seems like a cluttered market already. Have you considered any current production dashes that may be modified to fit our cars. I was thinking of taking some measurements and comparing to dashes in other cars.
Good luck, and have fun with it!
Automoda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutomodaSend a Private Message to AutomodaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have any idea just what it would cost to cover that Pirana dash? You'd be into that dash more than a SC3800
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how about 6x9 speaker housings?
DarkRain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarkRainSend a Private Message to DarkRainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Round speakers!!!!!!! Not oval, they sound bad!
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the Piranha interior.. but I think it's a bit TOO modern looking for a stock Fiero.. it'd be great in a Finale/Fino or the Piranha if they're ever produced.

my personal choice for a new dash design, is the 300ZX dash... mmm.

------------------
steve@digitalfusion.on.ca

FIERORICE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERORICESend a Private Message to FIERORICEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rounded like the Piranha, nothing precut, driver based, and more 3000GT/Viper than Firebird.

Ricky

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responces guys, keep em coming, any and all info will be concidered. Also does anyone have any more shots on the Pihrana interior, need more angles on that one as well as some close ups.
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DaRkLoRD:
I love the Piranha interior.. but I think it's a bit TOO modern looking for a stock Fiero.. it'd be great in a Finale/Fino or the Piranha if they're ever produced.

I agree with DaRkLoRD. But I think it would look good in a Fiero that has minor body modifications.

I would love to have had that interior in my Fino.

Fino

PFF
System Bot
TBK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TBKClick Here to visit TBK's HomePageSend a Private Message to TBKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some links to more pics. If you made this dash, as I already have said, I would certainly buy it without batting an eye.

I think it would go GREAT on ANY fiero!

https://www.fiero.nl/uploads/imgs2003/Piranha_Sill_And_Door.JPG

https://www.fiero.nl/uploads/imgs2003/Piranha_Center_Console_And_Dash.JPG

https://www.fiero.nl/uploads/imgs2003/Piranha_Seats.jpg

https://www.fiero.nl/uploads/imgs2003/Piranha_LR3Qtr_View.JPG

------------------
'Course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
-TBK (The Black Knight)
'87 GT

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny someone should mention 3000GT.. My plan is to install a 3000GT dash in my Fiero. I hope.. Took some measurements the other day, I hope it will fit! At least some of it. My personal favorite: Make a close copy of a Ferrari F550 dash, and I'd buy it in a second! I want to build one of those dashes... *After* I get the engine in.... lol

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 GT, a work in progress! (Got my 3800SC, installation to start very soon!!!)

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so it seems you guys like the Pirahna interior, but keep in mind I probly could not copy it because of copy right issues, but does not mean I cannot borrow a few ideas from it. Also what about speakers, first person to suggest stock 4x10 gets petitioned to get banned, what woulld the majority like
drummer5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drummer5Send a Private Message to drummer5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the sweeping lines of the new viper dash. Also it would be cool if you could get something like a toyota supra dash, those are pretty sweet the way they like curve around the driver.
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here's some ideas from me

Lose the vents that stick out by the doors. Everyone seems to kick that when they get out. Plus they look kind of stupid sticking out that far. I think one problem with the stock dash is that it is too far away from the occupants. The vents stick out, the gauge pod sticks out, and if there was a real glovebox, it would stick out (just like the aftermarket one). There's plenty of room to put a glovebox. Make the dash stick out a little further as a whole, but integrate(sp?) the gauges, vents, and glovebox into it, so they don't stick out as far. Get what I'm saying?
Speaker size, definately go with 5.25 inch speakers. They're not too big, not too small. I don't think 6x9s are a good choice. For one, they'll take up too much area of the dash, plus mounting depths on them are around 3" on most models.
One more thing. The stereo needs to be higher in the dash. It's bad enough with a manual, but the guys with automatics can't do much when they're in park. The shifter's in the way.

That's all my ideas...for now

------------------
-Adam
sqoach@yahoo.com

86 SE V6 - daily driven project
87 SE - new project :D

the need for speed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the need for speedSend a Private Message to the need for speedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the 300zx dash!!!!!!!!! A couple of people I thought were trying the z dash, but i think they made the instrument pod pretty damb ugle..screw those russians copy the piranha but then add a digital clock or something that would make it different.I dont know how patents work,or even if they have one or care since they dont want to make there dash!
perkidelic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perkidelicClick Here to visit perkidelic's HomePageSend a Private Message to perkidelicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny not many people have heard about this company. Just Dashes can cover any dash with factory type vinyl. They use heat and vacuum to the vinyl to the dash. They specialize in restos, but I once asked them about doing custom dashes and they said they could. I think he said usually $500-1000 (ballpark figures).

perk

Originally posted by Automoda:
Does anyone have any idea just what it would cost to cover that Pirana dash? You'd be into that dash more than a SC3800

------------------

phitown.com

* 85 2M4 - red, custom int, lowered 3", 16" wheels
    * 84 Fiero street-legal drag car - coming soon! (383sbc/NOS)
    * 84 Fiero parts car
    * 79 Camaro - 88 Chevy custom truck - 91 & 89 Accords
drummer5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drummer5Send a Private Message to drummer5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if anyone here had or knew where I could find a measured diagram of a fiero interior so I could design one.

Thanx.

littled047

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for littled047Send a Private Message to littled047Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im really glad that someone is willing to take everyone's opinion and see what they can come up with.
one thing i really love are the pirahna door panels! if anything, do something like that with the door panels please! Everything else, just make it look modern... i like the idea of bringing the dash out and integrating all the gauges and things.and also i like 6in. speakers. maybe you could do something with door speakers. and i would also say going with an aftermarket gauge cluster. the last thing, and i know everyone wants this... CUP HOLDERS!!!! but find a good spot for them, not just in the middle of the center counsoul. i dont know, work magic...

-86' 4cyl. SE coupe
-86' V6 GT 2.8

Starter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StarterSend a Private Message to StarterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think the pirrana dash looks great, but you might also be able to sell modified 90's F-body dashes. they look good to, and they aren't too overly elequent. i'd also suggest looking into doing the door panels to match if you can.
PFF
System Bot
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
something simpler to do that i'd like is a redesigned guage pod instead of trying to change the whole dash. say instead of being rectangular, it was round on top instead, like following the line of the top of the steering wheel. hopefully something big enough that one or two 3 3/8" speedo/tach gages (i think that's the size they are) or maybe even one 5" guage to sit higher so other guages could be added below.

think in terms of tina's reworked guage cluster to get what i mean.

or simper even, one of those trim ring looking things that fits around the guage pod and has locations for a couple of extra guages.

on the other end of the spectrum, say a whole new dash with "antenne" lined up with the a pillars that could hold guages or maybe tweeters for a stereo. say it had three locations on each side or maybe like one more on the drivers side than the passengers. if you just like guages (i do) you could have engine monitoring guages on one side and maybe like a clock and/or inside-outside temp guage on the passenger side. or fill all the spots with tweeters as part of a massive stereo system.

------------------
Phil T.

start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

JMunilla87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JMunilla87GTSend a Private Message to JMunilla87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea the late 90s FBody dashes are sweet. I think they are almost a drop in for the Fiero. The only thing that would need to be reworked would be the door panels. Something like that would make it easier to find aftermarket parts support.

------------------
Josh Munilla

dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My favourite would be the Piranha interior. It would need to be close to a carbon copy though. Next favorite would be a 4th gen Trans Am or 5th gen corvette interior. I don't want just a dash as the rest of the fiero's interior is garbage. It would need to be like V8 archies dash in layout.
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info guys, this will help give me the starting point that I will need. I will be going down to Florida to pick up Cozmos Targa in the next week and a half, we will be using a lot of this input, and put it down on paper with some rough scetch ideas. I will post any new results here as they develop, and to get any feed back, keep the ideas comming.
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Screw the Russian dash......design something like the 300 ZX..that is one sweet dash....

getting back to the Trans Am dash....it will fit almost perfectly....but the doors will need to be redone also..I was wondering how close are the Trans Am door skins to the Fieros?

And does anybody have any finished Archied dash pictures

------------------

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what ever you do, make it affordable. Personally i wouldnt mind a nice overlay. One ive seen which no one sells was one that layed over the fiero dash that made it look like its all one piece (not a seperate guage pod) with a glove compartment and filled in the space betwwen the drivers side A/C vent and the guage pod and the space between the guage pod on the center consol thing that has the ac and stero controls. I bet nobody has any idea about what im saying

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs

remember, Drive it like you stole it...nice and slow so you dont get your @$$ caught by the cops

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad GT:

getting back to the Trans Am dash....it will fit almost perfectly....but the doors will need to be redone also..I was wondering how close are the Trans Am door skins to the Fieros?

does anyone have any pics of both the dashes he is talking about? any pics would help as well as ideas, funny no one has really mentioned sound system. keeeeeeeeeeep em comming guys.

Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hahaha GTFiero1 you lost meeeee lol.
Just kidding dudeeee, I couldnt agree more with you.
The cost is very important, the cheaper it is the more units will be sold!!!!

------------------

gt boy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt boySend a Private Message to gt boyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
..as long as it has somewhere to stick my slurpee...i'm in!

oh ya...angle the center console towards the driver.

drummer5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2002 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drummer5Send a Private Message to drummer5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Later tonight I'll scetch up some ideas I have and see what u guys think.

btw SIG TEST!

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great sig!!!

Dashes take forever to design & make from scratch...I know.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Screw the Russian dash......design something like the 300 ZX..that is one sweet dash....

Trans Am door skins are real close to Fiero skins

------------------

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-03-2002).]

Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well will you looksy at that!!!!!
Now what would one have to do to make the skin a little bit longer?

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well will you looksy at that!!!!!
Now what would one have to do to make the skin a little bit longer?

Why would you want it longer? It's already about a foot longer than the Fiero Door panel

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have a Firebird dash in the Youngstown area? I think that it would be more cost effective to make a kit that would allow you to adapt that dash to the Fiero since the dash has already had a production run, let me know what you think. Remember that if a dash is created from scratch that the cost will be the same as all the others, in the $800-$2500 range depending what all in included in the kit, such as being finished, or including iterrior door panals.
If you have this dash and can sell it to me, or know of a source that I can get one from, please let me know.
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OOpps I must of had one too many beers when I wrote that lol. It did seem a bit too long in the other picture.

But if the dash from the Trans Am is used it would make more sence to use the door panels as well and it would be wayyy cheaper.

If any body is interested there is a salvage yard here in Toronto which just sells Camero and Trans Am parts.....Paradise Alley..I"ll try and get the ### if any body want it.

------------------

FIERORICE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERORICESend a Private Message to FIERORICEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not at all trying to bad mouth the Fiero, but the point is, the dash is ugly and most owners don't have enough money for a whole new kit, have it covered and all new gauges/speakers.

I am starting to like the Firebird idea, its just that HORRID GM gray plastic on the HVAC/Radio.... ugh yuck. But dash layout is pretty good, ergonomically speaking...

I guess the best dash ideally would be very round and modern, price wise would be whats been made, and happy medium would be the T/A.

Go for it!!! My vote is in, retrofit Firebird interiors to Fieros!

Ricky

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OH10fiero:
Does anyone have a Firebird dash in the Youngstown area? I think that it would be more cost effective to make a kit that would allow you to adapt that dash to the Fiero since the dash has already had a production run, let me know what you think. .

A Firebird dash and door panels could be retrofitted to the Fiero for less than half of what competing kits are going for. The reason is obvious, there are tons of 4th gen firebirds in the bone yard. If you get the parts for cheap, and can do the retrofitting yourself it is a very cost effective way to get a modern interior.

Of course you can spend more to do the Firebird retrofit if you choose, (modern radio, new door speakers, updated hvac and headlight controls, etc) But the basic retrofit gives you the most bang for the buck.

An early look at my secret project revealed

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2002 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one thing that would need to be re-worked about the T/A and Camaro dash is the top dash pad. It is huge due to the gaping f-body windshield, i new dash pad would definatley need to be made. You have to pick up a used one to experiment with, you'll probably find more problems though, just because its the right width doesnt mean it fits. I like the dash a lot but you might wanna check one our with measurements and llok it over real closey before you cough up the $$$ for something that you may not be able to use

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs

remember, Drive it like you stole it...nice and slow so you dont get your @$$ caught by the cops

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock