Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Designing a new dash need a few ideas (Page 11)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Designing a new dash need a few ideas by OH10fiero
Started on: 11-01-2002 11:37 AM
Replies: 1071 (131249 views)
Last post by: rbell2915 on 02-08-2021 09:01 PM
JanusSolSumnus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2003 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JanusSolSumnusClick Here to visit JanusSolSumnus's HomePageSend a Private Message to JanusSolSumnusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I'm getting real close to having everything bolted down in the final locations. Just a few more custom brackets and I will be on the road again.

Yet another post of mine, soon I will classify under "spam" lol

For the silver accents on the dash and such what did you use? Is there a Vinyle dye(I HOPE!) that gives this effect or regular paint, or what?

Thanks

IP: Logged
Blade_69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2003 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blade_69Send a Private Message to Blade_69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jannus. Earlier in this thread he posted a pic of that piece when he finished it. I believe he painted it. I know it may take a while but go through like the last 4 or 5 pages. I'm almost sure it's within those pages.

[This message has been edited by Blade_69 (edited 01-16-2003).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2003 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're right that it's paint, but it's a two step process that I discovered by accident.

I start with chrome spray paint. That gives it a shiny almost mirror like finish. Then after it's dry I hit it with clear coat. That dulls it a bit, but gives it a brushed aluminum/titanium look with a high gloss finish. Which I like better than the shiny chrome look.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 01-16-2003).]

JanusSolSumnus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2003 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JanusSolSumnusClick Here to visit JanusSolSumnus's HomePageSend a Private Message to JanusSolSumnusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You're right that it's paint, but it's a two step process that I discovered by accident.

I start with chrome spray paint. That gives it a shiny almost mirror like finish. Then after it's dry I hit it with clear coat. That dulls it a bit, but gives it a brushed aluminum/titanium look with a high gloss finish. Which I like better than the shiny chrome look.

Cant say I dont agree to that. Thanks man. Hmm, once this thread starts to calm down I'm gonna print it all out for my database. lol

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2003 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if anyone was paying as close attention to my pictures as the Stinger spy photos. If so then they might wonder why this console piece is painted in the picture dated 1/7/2003:

But in the pic dated 1/14/2003 it is not:

What's up with that?

zachakagoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2003 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zachakagoatSend a Private Message to zachakagoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys, I love this interior! I have sat for the past 2 hours reading every post on this thread. I was wondering what all would have to be done to get the center console to mount up with an automatic and if the dash would interfior with the shifting.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2003 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could stick with the stock automatic console as PBJ has done. Or you could position the dash in such a way it's compatible with the auto.

The auto shifter in the Fiero defintitely is more forward than the 5 speed, however, I suspect that if you mount the dash where Roy has his it would work with the Firebird auto console.

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2003 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn, this is a fantastic thread! I've been away for...well, several pages on this thread. You guys are contributing fabulously; I admire your work ethic and ability to so finely detail the project.

Keep up the good work!

Bryce
88 GT

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2003 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hesitate in placing this message here because I don't want to distract from this thread but, if you'd like to follow my documentation on my build-up you can just double-click on the link in my signiture. I would appreciate any constructive critisim as the documentation will eventually be converted to a web site.

Thanks,

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

JEDI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2003 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JEDISend a Private Message to JEDIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:

I hesitate in placing this message here because I don't want to distract from this thread but, if you'd like to follow my documentation on my build-up you can just double-click on the link in my signiture. I would appreciate any constructive critisim as the documentation will eventually be converted to a web site.

Thanks,

Roy, I just realized your not far from me. Do you go to the local meetings often?

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2003 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be in Daytona in March.

Roy

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2003 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I finally got my gas gauge from a 1980 Firebird to go in my 1998 cluster for my 1988 Fiero. It will require a little bit of surgery to get it installed, but that is the last major task I have before completing all the cosmetic changes.

Here is a sneak preview if what's coming next:

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2003 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2003 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I would never get the fuel gauge installed but it's finally done!

I had to remove the faceplate of the gauges and then I used clear silicone RTV to attach the 1980 Firebird gauge directly to the faceplate. I wired it directly to the sender, completely bypassing the 4th gen f-body circuit.

Today's result:

By the way, I will be bringing Proud-2 to the Florida Fiero Weekend in Daytona next month so I am rushing to get to a convenient stopping point in my conversion.

- Jonathan (JScott1)

------------------

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-11-2003).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2003 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
In keping a promise to Mrfixit58 (Roy), I traced the outline of the overlay for the later version Firebird gauge.

Here is the trace for anybody that's interested. (you may have to resize)

Texas87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2003 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Texas87GTSend a Private Message to Texas87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you ever finish the door panels..and how do they look?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2003 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, the door panels look the same as they did in November. That's one of about a dozen little things I need to finish. The center console, and the filler panel between the dash and windshield are two others.

Now that all the major mechanical and electrical work is complete I can focus on making it look "pretty". It's going to be tough to make my door panels look as good as Roy's (Mrfixit58) since I don't have Mr. Mike on tap to cover them for me

- Jonathan

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2003 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

....It's going to be tough to make my door panels look as good as Roy's (Mrfixit58) since I don't have Mr. Mike on tap to cover them for me

- Jonathan

Whoa there partner... I covered the door panels. I just consulted with Mr. Mike and bought the vinyl from him - That way the color of the panels match the seats (which is the ONLY work anyone did for me duing the conversion). ALL the work, applying and shaping the foam, applying the vinyl, etc. - I did it.

Just to keep the record straight .

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html
*** UPDATED 1/24/03 ***

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2003 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:

Whoa there partner... I covered the door panels.

Sorry Roy, I think I might have touched a nerve there Then all the credit goes to YOU. I really like the way your door panels turned out.

Do you have the Mr Mike's seat covers installed yet? It was originally in my plan to do Mr Mike's seats but I scaled back a little bit, (though not much because the original 88 cloth seat skins cost almost just as much)

By the way, I'll finally get to meet you in Daytona!!

------------------

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2003 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not really a nerve, like I said, just keeping the record straight . Yes, I did break down and buy Mr Mike seats and got the installed over the weekend. I'll take a couple of shots and send them to you. It won't be until next week. The wife and I are leaving in the morning for San Francisco for a few days for our anniversary.

Fantastic news about Daytona. It'll be great to fianlly meet you IN PERSON.

Keep up the good work,
Roy

TEW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2003 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEWSend a Private Message to TEWEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roy
I'm new here. Just discovered this thread and scanned through all 11 pages!
I just purchased an original Fiero Mera (308 replica). I was looking at some of the 355 interior kits prior to discovering this thread.
Let me ask what MAY be a stupid question:
Would you consider doing a F interior conversion on my car for a fee?
PFF
System Bot
TEW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2003 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEWSend a Private Message to TEWEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who makes the Pirahna dash / kit pictured on the first page of this thread?
The dash looks very similar to a Mitsubishi 3000GT.
Was this converted from a 3000GT or Dodge Stealth?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2003 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TEW:

Who makes the Pirahna dash / kit pictured on the first page of this thread?
The dash looks very similar to a Mitsubishi 3000GT.
Was this converted from a 3000GT or Dodge Stealth?

The Pyranha is a Russian design that is like the holy grail of Fiero Interiors. Virtually everybody likes it, but it is no longer available. About every 6 months someone claims that it is going back into production, but I have yet to see it actually offered for sale.

I decided to do a pyranha inspired custom interior, but somewhere along the way decided that an F-body interior was about the same thing. If you look closely at the pyranha it appears to me that it uses f-body parts, especially in the pull pockets for the doors.

So I would suggest that if you like the pyranha, then use the f-body as a starting point and customize from there. I hope that helps.

------------------

Blade_69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2003 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blade_69Send a Private Message to Blade_69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey JScott. How hard was it to do your door panels? I know I don't have the skills yet to do the dash. But I would like to at least do the doors. I think it will add a nicer look and feel to the interior with the stock dash.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2003 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The door panels are one of the trickier areas. I chose to use Firebird panels and then trim off the front and rear portions and then adapt them to the Fiero. This also involves new door handles, window and door lock switches, and speakers. It also replaces the inner dew wipes.

What I haven't done yet is to make the ends "pretty" where I cut them off. A lot of people are concerned about that but I am confident I can make it work.

Roy decided to take a different path and use the Fiero door panel and smooth it out and attach the firebird handle and latch. Then cover it with vinyl. That sounded like more work to me, but his results should be about the same or better than mine.

There are pros and cons to each method, you have to decide which is better. You can look at the pictures to judge which looks better to you.

Jonathan (JScott1)

You can see from this flashback that the door panels are about as involved as the dash if not more. Roy (MrFixit58) decided not to mess with the Firebird door panels. Initially I thought his method was more involved yet he is finished and I am still working on mine

Up until now I have always cleverly photographed my door panels such that you didn't see the cut off ends. The reason is that up until now I have had other things with higher priority to finish before I had time to make the ends pretty. But that's what I'm about to start working on right now. I feel pretty confident I can make them look visually pleasing.

------------------

AgaricX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AgaricXClick Here to visit AgaricX's HomePageSend a Private Message to AgaricXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please keep us posted!!!

I'm more interested in the panels / wiring than I am the dash now!!

------------------
1988 Fiero GT T-Tops - IRM rockers soooooon.
1999 Infiniti I30 Turbo(336 HP at the ground)
1999 Eclipse GS-T Spyder Super 16G Turbo(Wife's Car... not dyno'd yet)

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which year did the door panels come from?

And yes, please keep us informed

Tim

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TEW:

Roy
I'm new here. Just discovered this thread and scanned through all 11 pages!
I just purchased an original Fiero Mera (308 replica). I was looking at some of the 355 interior kits prior to discovering this thread.
Let me ask what MAY be a stupid question:
Would you consider doing a F interior conversion on my car for a fee?

I hope this doesn't take away from the original subject of this thread but this has been being discussed a lot lately... As the car owner, I wouldn't consider making any drastic changes on a Mera. If you want that, buy a 308 kit somewhere and then build your custom interior. No way, no how, I would change an original Mera. There are just too few of them around. Why kill any potential long term value that might be there... Of course, it is your car and you may do as you wish. We would love to see some pictures though...

As far as F-body dashes, I would love to find one to throw in the 85 GT but ANY F-body I find, the dash is mangled. You guys got lucky finding them in good shape!

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys are doing a great job. I have been sitting here for hours fascinated by the interiors you have been doing. I should probably consider myself divoriced and my wife a computer widow... lol... i am going to the junkyard tomorrow to buy one of these dashes and to do a fastback swap... i will keep you posted on my progress... thnx for the inspiration!

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright...
I went to the yards and they priced me 150 for the dash w/o broken airbags and 100 for both door panels with switches and handles... and 75 for the middle console. This seems a bit too rich for my blood right now but i may go and buy either just the dash or just the door panels...
mrfixit58- i have a question. how much was the reupholstry of your panels??

thnx
Daniel

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daniel,

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you are getting a great deal of the Firebird parts. There will always be somebody somewhere that will get a better deal but yours sounds fair to me. I paid a lot more because I had a dash shipped to me from a body shop in detroit to houston, (not cheap).

And the rest of my parts I got on ebay and had to build up everything from scratch. If you can get the wiring harnesess and connectors that's even better.

PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierosUnlimited:

Alright...
I went to the yards and they priced me 150 for the dash w/o broken airbags and 100 for both door panels with switches and handles... and 75 for the middle console. This seems a bit too rich for my blood right now but i may go and buy either just the dash or just the door panels...
mrfixit58- i have a question. how much was the reupholstry of your panels??

thnx
Daniel

Hey Daniel,

Actually, $150 for an unbroken dash is a pretty good deal. You may be able to remove the passenger side air bag and re-sell it to cover most of the cost of the entire dash.

As far as the door panels go, I got the arm rests for free because I was buying other stuff at the time and the door panels were busted up. The guy at the yard considered them junk but all I wanted was the arm rests. I probably spent about $30 on fiberglass, fiberglass reinforced filler and plastic filler and another $40 on the vinyl and $30 on padding. The door handle pull pockets and door latch handles were another free-bee because I was buying other stuff (this was at a different salvage yard). So totally... in round numbers... around $100 for the door panels. Not including the door speakers, of course.

Roy

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so what exactly do i need from the donor car when i buy it???? any lists you guys can give me when i go back this week????

Daniel

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2003 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mrfixit58- Is there any way that i could pay you to make the door pannels and the computer cover??? that would be great as i am no good with that kind of stuff.

Daniel

Blade_69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2003 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blade_69Send a Private Message to Blade_69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in just having the door panels done as I'm placing a sub in my center console. What do you say Roy?

------------------
Blade

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey JSCOTT1 i was wondering where you got the screen and how much it was... i am designing an in dash computer that reads off the ecm and i was wondering if that would be compatible... what kind of connector does it use???

ps here is my new thread //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/026886.html

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

speedracerfx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2003 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for speedracerfxSend a Private Message to speedracerfxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow!! I just read all 11 pages, and I'm definately doing this swap. (I've already started looking for parts) My only concern is, does anyone know if the tach can be recalibrated for a 4-cylinder?

Ian

[This message has been edited by speedracerfx (edited 03-09-2003).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2003 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whew...just "finished" my mad scramble to get ready for Daytona this weekend.

In the last few days I had left I decided I would rather have working DVD so some things fell off the plate. Like the panel between the dash and the windshield. I'm sorry to say that the prototype is installed and not the final piece. The paint is still drying on some of the parts that I installed.

There are quite a few pieces held together with duct tape and I don't think it's going to win any awards this way but that's okay too. But at least I have a headliner for the first time in 6 months

I'm just really glad to be at a stopping point and can enjoy the car for the weekend. See you in Daytona!!

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2003 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
More Pics

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2003 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still am amazed!

------------------
SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock