Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Designing a new dash need a few ideas (Page 10)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Designing a new dash need a few ideas by OH10fiero
Started on: 11-01-2002 11:37 AM
Replies: 1071 (131249 views)
Last post by: rbell2915 on 02-08-2021 09:01 PM
Smoooooth GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2003 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was DEAD-SET on designing my own dash/door panel's and center column not to mention all new custom iterior piece's.... NOW... I am really concidering on making this my next winter's project...

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com
Have you RATED me today??
3.4DOHC SWAP in near future

IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2003 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting real close to having everything bolted down in the final locations. Just a few more custom brackets and I will be on the road again.

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

Blade_69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2003 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blade_69Send a Private Message to Blade_69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:

Hey guys,

I just wanted to pass along a picture and a big THANKS to Fred (RAREW66) for the fantastic piece of artwork. And what a pleasure to deal with. Pure polished stainless steel. I'm going to mount on my new computer cover. What do you think? Way Cool, huh?

Here's a picture of the computer cover from a little farther away.

Okay. How do we contact Fred? That would look too sweet on my sub grill.

rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2003 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<cough> Mr Mikes seats </cough>
-Ryan
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2003 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the link where I found Fred (RAREW66). I don't know how much custom work he's willing to do but it couldn't hurt to ask. He's A#1 in my book.

Whoops... Forgot the link:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/011750.html

------------------
Roy
Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

[This message has been edited by mrfixit58 (edited 01-07-2003).]

RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2003 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blade_69:

Okay. How do we contact Fred? That would look too sweet on my sub grill.

Blade_69, I sent you an e-mail

------------------
Fred Bartemeyer
Chairman Heartland Fieros
http://www.heartlandfieros.com
86 GT 4spd 26k miles
87 GT 5spd. Blue 37k miles
88 Silver T-Top Formula 266,000 miles
87 GT 5 spd Annette's Sunshine Driver
88 GT 5 spd Annette's Daily Driver

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2003 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rynelson85:

<cough> Mr Mikes seats </cough>
-Ryan

Yep, that's next.

Roy

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
will that cluster work if run by a delco N* or short* computer? Or do you do some type of coversion for dig. gauges to run off of analog sensors. I am new to this and you may have answered this!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All of the gauges in the Firebird cluster work off of the stock Fiero analog senders, with the exception of the gas gauge. It is looking for a digital signal from the powertrain control module, which the Fiero obviously does not have.

The solution Roy did was to replace the gas gauge with an older analog version. I hope that helps.

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our 94-95 cluster with non digital odometer seems to work the fuel gauge the same as fiero.

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 01-10-2003).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not surprised the older gas gauge works fine. My service manual states that it's a analog gauge in one section and digital in the other. So I fgured it changed somewhere along the way.

But I have the digital odometer and the more modern gauge overlay so I still like the one I have better.

PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what about the tach, can you adapt a v8 tach to a v6 is it hard to do, and wich one has a higher red line? are the speedos the same top speed or do they differ? I do realy like what I see and look forward to doing one of my own, do you have pics of the finnished car or is it not done yet?
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a pic of a V6 firebird cluster with kms and no digital odometer.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PBJ's picture of course shows a metric speedo. Mine is from a 3800 V6 and therefore did not need to be converted. I have no idea how to convert a Firebird speedo or tach.

My speedo maxes out at 120 MPH and the tach redlines at 6,000. The actual redline for the engine is stored in the ECM so it doesn't matter what's printed on the tach.

I still have about a dozen little things I need to finish.

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 01-10-2003).]

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2003 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

Our 94-95 cluster with non digital odometer seems to work the fuel gauge the same as fiero.

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 01-10-2003).]

That's interesting. Mine had to be replaced with an older gauge to work correctly. One thing I didn't try was to remove the resistor that was on one of the traces. Perhaps that would have removed the factory bias and allowed the gauge to regester properly. Not really a big deal. I already had the replacement gauge and it only took about an hour to install it.

PBJ -- Does yours register "full" when energized? That's waht mine did. I only had 1/2 tank of gas so I know it was wrong.

Roy

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2003 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does yours register "full" when energized? That's waht mine did. I only had 1/2 tank of gas so I know it was wrong.

Roy

No it reads 3/4 of a tank, thats what the fiero one read too and is the amount of gas I have in there.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2003 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

No it reads 3/4 of a tank, thats what the fiero one read too and is the amount of gas I have in there.

Well, maybe the 1/2" of water that the cluster was sitting in when I found it had something to do with my in-op gas gauge. I know it works now, I ran most of it out yesterday on a round trip to Mr. Mike's.

Roy

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2003 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrfixit58

3330 posts
Member since Jul 99
Here's a couple of pictures of my finished door panels. What do ya think?

Roy

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2003 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow... I like it.

now it needs matching grey Mr. Mikes seats!

------------------
steve@digitalfusion.on.ca
"Whoever said money can't buy happiness.. didn't have much of an imagination." - Steve King, 1997

WMac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2003 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WMacSend a Private Message to WMacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats, Roy. And I tip my hat too you
Thats AWSOME............

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2003 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Totally awesome ...

Add the Firebird steering wheel and it would be identical to a Firebird.

My hat's off to you as well

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 01-11-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2003 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!
Haagster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HaagsterSend a Private Message to HaagsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two thumbs up!!
the need for speed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2003 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the need for speedSend a Private Message to the need for speedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is the steering wheel in the all the way up position?can u drive it in that position and see all the gauges and the road,or are you going to move it down some?
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2003 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OMG!! I am soooo jealous... Naaa, just give's something for everyone to shoot for!!

Steve

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com
Have you RATED me today??
***3.4DOHC SWAP in Late Spring of 2003***

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2003 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those doors are awsome!!

Dave http://www.ltlfrari.com

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow I have been gone for a while, this up to page 10, and it needs a little bump as well.
seadog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2003 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seadogSend a Private Message to seadogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice Roy! got that "new car smell" now huh. We gotta get over and see this in person.
timmer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2003 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
due your install and update for the fiero interior rock . keep up the mods
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2003 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It must have taken a month for the "Fiero smell" to go away after I stripped out my interior. Unfortunately I went with used carpet and seat covers so I didn't really get the new car smell. I plan to get new carpet and Mr Mikes leather some day. Then I will really have the new car smell.

For those that don't want to cut and weld, here is the final dash placement that I ended up with. Compare the gap over the steering wheel with the one earlier on the page. You can see how I squeezed the dash closer to the column. Also note that the cupholder is deployed!

I am still waiting to get my replacement gas gauge so the cluster bezel is not installed. The people I bought the gauge from have been stringing me along for almost a month now. I should have just gone to the junkyard

Anyway I am starting on Phase I-A and that is the entertainment system...stay tuned

- Jonathan

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 01-14-2003).]

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2003 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Roy

Roy, its amazing to think we were talking about this swap while I was down visiting JR. I am soooo gonna come down to FLA and kidnap you and your car and not release you till you put that interior into my car! WOW!!!!!!!!!!

You da man!

Steven

------------------
88 Fiero coupe 2.5 5 speed, Custom IHI RHB6 turbo equipped, gutted and track abused
88 Coupe Project "F-88" has begun....Classified TOP SECRET
87 Fiero GT 14.9/ 89mph **4.9 PFI swap in progress**
87 Fiero Coupe 91k miles **3.4TDC swap in progress**
87 Mazda RX-7 SBC v8 5.0L/700R4 ---FOR SALE
88 Mazda RX-7 'vert SBC v8 383/T-5
84 Fiero 2M4 T-top, Turbocharged and tons of extras! SOLD
87 Conquest TSi 406 SBC V8! SOLD
**I am Looking for 88 coupe w/ auto trans near Va...PM me**
Always have engines, fiero parts and accessories for sale. Custom engine swaps and chassis modifications are available.

PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2003 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

Thanks again for the kind words.

DaRKLoRD -- Mr Mike has my check.

the need for speed -- It's a tilt column and in the picture it's in the full "up" position. When it's in the driving position, I have an unobstructed view of every gauge.

Smoooooth -- Like you've never had an original idea . We're bound to see a LOT of Smooooth-isms on other peoples' cars.

seadog -- Well, come one over!

BV Motorsports -- Maybe we can make a deal... I mount the dash in your car and a 3800SC motor in mine and you can wire both!

To everyone, Thanks.
Roy

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2003 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roy, jscott1, beautiful work you two, also a big thank you for making my job on this project a lot easier . I have not gotten as far as I would like to on my Fierbird dash conversion but I have been working on the Targa for a local show that occures here in Ohio, I spent 11 hours alone removing the seats out of the car, they were rusted in that badly, lol. But rest assured I will be in close contact with both of you when I get stuck somewhere on the dash project.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2003 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey guys,

Thanks again for the kind words.

BV Motorsports -- Maybe we can make a deal... I mount the dash in your car and a 3800SC motor in mine and you can wire both!

To everyone, Thanks.
Roy

Hmmmm what about the door panels and center console? But it if thats all you want (38sc wired) consider this a cyber handshake!

Really, Roy, you made it look better than I ever dreamed of. Thats awsome!

Steven

------------------
88 Fiero coupe 2.5 5 speed, Custom IHI RHB6 turbo equipped, gutted and track abused
88 Coupe Project "F-88" has begun....Classified TOP SECRET
87 Fiero GT 14.9/ 89mph **4.9 PFI swap in progress**
87 Fiero Coupe 91k miles **3.4TDC swap in progress**
87 Mazda RX-7 SBC v8 5.0L/700R4 ---FOR SALE
88 Mazda RX-7 'vert SBC v8 383/T-5
84 Fiero 2M4 T-top, Turbocharged and tons of extras! SOLD
87 Conquest TSi 406 SBC V8! SOLD
**I am Looking for 88 coupe w/ auto trans near Va...PM me**
Always have engines, fiero parts and accessories for sale. Custom engine swaps and chassis modifications are available.

Blade_69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2003 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blade_69Send a Private Message to Blade_69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ummmm. Just a passing thought. How about a nicely trimmed piece of material shaped around the gap to cover it up?
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2003 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Roy

*prints out pick, picks up, looks at it, slowly carries it to the bathroom, shuts and locks door...*

haha, you dash and door panels look really awsome, i wish i had half your talent!

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
Fiero mods almost done...i know that because im running out of possesions to sell for money

Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2003 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm tempted to rip the interior out of my firebird...........

------------------
There's 2 types of F-Body owners:
1. Those who own firebirds.
2.Those who want Firebirds.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rip out your Firebird interior...and put it in your Fiero?
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2003 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry. Let me try that last one again.

This is sorta the same thing I mentioned way back in the first couple of pages of this thread. Except my idea was to cover the entire back section and make it look like a C5 Corvette Roadster. Nice work!

JanusSolSumnus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2003 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JanusSolSumnusClick Here to visit JanusSolSumnus's HomePageSend a Private Message to JanusSolSumnusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a question, I think it was already mentioned but I'm not sure so I shall ask again. I plan to use a 2000 Grand Prix GTP interior when I start my Fiero project. However I am not sure it(along with doors and console) will fit. The dash for the Grand Prix GTP is 54 1/2".

Here is a qoute from a guy off ClibGP's forums:
"I stretched my tape measure over the dash between the A pillars and saw 54.5" - note that this was with the tape measure resting on the highest portion of the dash."

Is this accurate to what I need for the Fiero?

[This message has been edited by JanusSolSumnus (edited 01-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by JanusSolSumnus (edited 01-16-2003).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock