Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  ECM upgrade (1227730) for stock 2.8 (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
ECM upgrade (1227730) for stock 2.8 by Darth Fiero
Started on: 01-09-2007 02:26 PM
Replies: 1066 (91581 views)
Last post by: turbo86se on 12-18-2017 10:19 AM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Knight:

I was wondering. What would be a cost estimate of this upgrade. Even better would be a parts/supplies list with estimated prices off to the side. Also, Darth, would you be willing to modify a 7730 with the necessary wires & connectors (with extra long wiring to cut to fit) if I sent one to you and how much would you charge. Also, each time I upgrade my engine, how do I modify the ECM software or do I need to send it back to you. If I do need to send it back to you for reprogramming, what info would you need to properly tune it. Oh yeah...how much besides shipping would you charge for reprogramming each time?

Ok, lets see if I can put something together off the top of my head. For some of the following prices, assume used parts purchased from a salvage yard...

-7730 ECM incl V6 mem-cal, wiring connectors, and some wiring - $50-$75 used
(if no V6 mem-cal is included with the ECM, one would need to be purchased - approx $65 from gmpartsdirect.com)

-Knock sensor, new - about $35

-Custom chip programming done by me - $45

Above is the absolute minimum you would need to purchase to pull this swap off less EGR hookup. If you wanted to hook the EGR up and make it functional, you would need to obtain/purchase the EGR, EGR adapter plate, wiring connector for the EGR, and extra wiring to run inside the car for the EGR. Again, you DO NOT need the EGR unless you have emissions testing in your area; it can be deleted in the chip program.

Now concerning the wiring, it is a pretty "simple" swap. I would be willing to put together a write-up and provide it to anyone who wants it so they could do the conversion at their end. This conversion is NOT going to require much soldering/rewiring at all. Most of what's involved is repinning the ECM connectors which you would do 1 at a time; so it would not be difficult, just time consuming. Some soldering and splicing would be required both inside the car and in the engine compartment but what is required is minimal.

Again, as far as a 100% plug-and-play kit; I have given some thought to this and it is going to be very difficult if not impossible to put something together that would fit in the space constraints inside the Fiero where the factory ECM resides. It would be far easier (and cheaper) to just repin/modify an existing Fiero harness instead of trying to put some sort of plug-and-play kit together.

Regarding your question concerning my custom chip tuning service, please PM or email me for details on that.

-ryan

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 01-13-2007).]

IP: Logged
Knight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please yes. Send me the info on the swap. Pictures if at all possible. I sometimes have a hard time visualizing anything. I am currently looking for parts on e-bay for this upgrade. PM me or send to knight_@cox.net please sir.
BTW, thank you so much for all the help you are giving me. You are definitely due a + once I reach 30 posts.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2007 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I, too, would be interested in info on this. It will probably be this summer before I can actually start proceeding, but would like the info and my knowledge to be complete before starting the project.

James
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Please yes. Send me the info on the swap. Pictures if at all possible. I sometimes have a hard time visualizing anything. I am currently looking for parts on e-bay for this upgrade. PM me or send to knight_@cox.net please sir.
BTW, thank you so much for all the help you are giving me. You are definitely due a + once I reach 30 posts.

email will be on it's way shortly concerning the chip reprogramming...

As far as the instructions go, yes I will include some pics to help you visualize what needs to be done and what you will need to do it.

-ryan

Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct me if I am wrong. From what I have found out the following is true:
*The only difference between the 7727 and the 7730 is that the 7727 is 'weatherproofed' to be used in the engine compartment. If this is true, are the connector plugs identical?
*The only difference between the 7730 and the 7749 (Turbo 4.3 Syclone/Typhoon) is the 7749 is missing one quad driver and has additional injector driver. Are the connector harness plugs the same?
*The EPROMs are the same between all three. Two EPROMs are used: 27C128 16K * 8 or 27C256 32K * 8. Does that mean that one is a 16K, 8 bit processor and one is a 32K 8 bit processor? Or am I reading it wrong? What is the rel world difference between the two in terms of programing and function/abilities?
*The 7730 can replace the 7170 used in the Fiero with minimal modifications.
*The 7730 was placed in an "underhood case" for use in the McLarren 3.1L Turbo Grand Prix (Called the 7727)

Now since the 3.1 turbo uses a a 7727 (7730 encased), is there any real advantage to using a 7749 for a turbo application 3400? Is the only benefits to the 7749 the ability to control an additional injector? What is a quad driver? Is it a fuel injection driver and if so is that used for the 3.1 turbo?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you 81tta and Darth Fiero for the info and sites that have helped me so fa. I am so grateful to everybody that is helping me figure out how to upgrade my 2.8 to a 3400 with eventually a turbo. I am so electrically challenged!
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Knight

364 posts
Member since Apr 2006
The above post by me is also from my thread //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079675.html.

I wanted to add that I checked out the schematics on the 7730 link at http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/p4xref.html#1227730 and it pulls up the 7749 schematic. The 7727 link does the same. Are these the same boards?
Capitol City Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capitol City FieroSend a Private Message to Capitol City FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan:

You got a lot of press on my swap, just a follow up on the car:

440T4 2000rpm @70mph
starts good with no cold start injection even below 20 degrees
idle is at a steady at 700rpm
car runs strong

mpg is 28 city and 35 hwy
car runs on 87 octane fuel as well

440T4 seems to have a final drive of about 284

again thanks Ryan, we love the upgrades

well worth the money for anyone who has a stock 2.8 3 speed automatic

[This message has been edited by Capitol City Fiero (edited 01-13-2007).]

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I

*The only difference between the 7727 and the 7730 is that the 7727 is 'weatherproofed' to be used in the engine compartment. If this is true, are the connector plugs identical?
*The only difference between the 7730 and the 7749 (Turbo 4.3 Syclone/Typhoon) is the 7749 is missing one quad driver and has additional injector driver. Are the connector harness plugs the same?
*The EPROMs are the same between all three. Two EPROMs are used: 27C128 16K * 8 or 27C256 32K * 8. Does that mean that one is a 16K, 8 bit processor and one is a 32K 8 bit processor? Or am I reading it wrong? What is the rel world difference between the two in terms of programing and function/abilities?
*The 7730 can replace the 7170 used in the Fiero with minimal modifications.
*The 7730 was placed in an "underhood case" for use in the McLarren 3.1L Turbo Grand Prix (Called the 7727)

Now since the 3.1 turbo uses a a 7727 (7730 encased), is there any real advantage to using a 7749 for a turbo application 3400? Is the only benefits to the 7749 the ability to control an additional injector? What is a quad driver? Is it a fuel injection driver and if so is that used for the 3.1 turbo?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you 81tta and Darth Fiero for the info and sites that have helped me so fa. I am so grateful to everybody that is helping me figure out how to upgrade my 2.8 to a 3400 with eventually a turbo. I am so electrically challenged!

There is at least one pin difference between the 730 and 727 and I believe it involves the wastegate solenoid as discussed on the 60 degree forum in a post on adding a patch to the TunerproRT software to allow wideband O2 datalogging. The 727 has four plugs instead of the 730s two. Now that I think about it, I may ditch the 727 harness I've nearly completed and opt for the 730 once I compare the wiring diagram to the Fieros since it is capable of running the TGP code. As for the epromms I don't believe they are exactly interchangeable as far as exchanging 128 Kb with 256. I know you can use the higher speed in the lower speed application but I don't believe it will work properly in the opposite configuration. Someone with more knowledge of the specifics can clarify.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, lets clarify some things here...

No, the two computers use different connectors AND different wiring terminals.

True about the internal differences between the 7730 and 7749. I believe the connectors are identical.

From what I have heard, most of the same code masks can be used in all 3 computers; I don't think there is a difference in processing power between the computers. All 3 computers use the same type mem-cal. The Syclone/Typhon 4.3L Turbo uses a 27C128 chip. The 7730/7727's use a 27C256 chip. All 3 computers WILL WORK with the 27SF512 flash memory chip. You just have to offset the start of device address to the correct setting when programming the 27SF512 flash memory chip for use in these applications.

Concerning internal hardware, the 7727 and 7730 are pretty much identical. The only difference besides the casing is the connector design and wiring terminals (because they have to be sealed to the connectors). You cannot use the Fiero wiring terminals with the 7727 ECM; but they will work with the 7730 ECM.

A quad driver is nothing more than a controlled output (used for controlling an electric fan, EVAP solenoid, indicator lamp on the dash, etc). The 7749 ECM was also used on early Quad 4 and 87-90 Sunbird 2.0L Turbo engines which I think used Peak-and-Hold injectors (low impedence). The only reason why I brought up the 7749 is because it was used in the 4.3L Turbo Syclone/Typhoon applications which use a distributor; and it is this code mask you would probably want to use in a turbo 2.8 application. (FWIW, I am posting wiring diagrams and pinouts of the Sy/Ty ECM to my website as we speak). From what I have heard, the Sy/Ty [$58 code mask] can be used in a 7727/7730 ECM without any problems (although I haven't personally tried it).
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5919 posts
Member since Oct 2002

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

I may ditch the 727 harness I've nearly completed and opt for the 730 once I compare the wiring diagram to the Fieros since it is capable of running the TGP code.

The 7730 ECM will run the TGP Code. HOWEVER, the TGP code will ONLY work with DIS ignition system. (you probably already know this, but I just want to clarify it for the rest of the readers)

As for the epromms I don't believe they are exactly interchangeable as far as exchanging 128 Kb with 256. I know you can use the higher speed in the lower speed application but I don't believe it will work properly in the opposite configuration. Someone with more knowledge of the specifics can clarify.

There isn't a speed difference between the 128 and 256 EPROM chips. It's the size that is different. The 27C128 chip holds 16kb of info and the 27C256 chip holds 32kb of info. The 27C512/27SF512 chips hold 64kb of info. Concerning these 4 chips, a larger sized chip can be used in an application that calls for a smaller program. (IE: a 27C256 chip can be used in an application that originally used a 27C128 prom chip). Read my previous post concerning programming start address offsets when trying to do this.

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm getting excited at the possibility of putting a 3.4 or a 3400 with 4-speed auto. I want to upgrade my current ECM in my 86 2.8. and place an upgrade engine /transmission in my engineless 88.

If you plan on dropping in a 3400, you will need to reroute the complete harness for the motor. We've done two 3400 swaps and using the 7730 ecm for our set-up and wroks just great. I've dyno'd at 175hp and the wheels. Have a few ideas to open it up a little more while still N/A. I'm sure Darth would be able to program a chip for you no problem. I have a friend that did mine, he's used to put 3400's in J-bodies. Also, you don't want the tranny that comes with the 3400, it's electronic controlled, try to find a 4T60 that uses a kick-down cable. Mines a 5 speed, so a little less wiring to do.

My 3400 install

2nd swap which uses stock 2.8 timing cover and accesories.
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

Nice work on the upgrade Darth, already have someone that might be interested in doing this. Must add this to my fav also.

------------------

[This message has been edited by x-thumpr-x (edited 01-14-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Very helpful.
The 3400 won't run an electronic transmission? Crap! I wanted a strong transmission that could handle the torque and was planning on a 4T65e. Can a 4T60 be beefed up with 4T65e internals?
And that 3400 install -- DAMN that is what I am talking about. I want to have the intake and valve covers painted red like your second picture. Please explain about rerouting the engine harness.
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Darth,

Is it correct to assume the 7730 ECM upgrade with work with a 95 Camaro 3.4 engine that I'm currently installing into my 86GT with OD 4-speed auto transmission. The 3.4 will be a hydrid, 3.4 displacement & 2.8 heads, intake and ignition system, etc. If that is the case, the 7730 ECM upgrade will work with the engine upgrad I'm also interested in doing the upgarde.

Thanks for you work on the subject and provide the group the information.

Regards,
Mike
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 3400 won't run an electronic transmission? Crap! I wanted a strong transmission that could handle the torque and was planning on a 4T65e. Can a 4T60 be beefed up with 4T65e internals?
And that 3400 install -- DAMN that is what I am talking about. I want to have the intake and valve covers painted red like your second picture. Please explain about rerouting the engine harness.

The 3400 V6 will work with the 4T65-E transmission but you must use an OBD-2 computer (99-up), or use an aftermarket TCM (transmission control module). The 7730 ECM does NOT have the ability to control an electronic transmission.

The 440-T4/4T60 transmissions can accept some internal upgrades, but it is unclear if they can be built as strong as a 4T65-E can be. How much power is your 3400 engine going to be making?

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2007 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5919 posts
Member since Oct 2002

Originally posted by Cajun:

Darth,

Is it correct to assume the 7730 ECM upgrade with work with a 95 Camaro 3.4 engine that I'm currently installing into my 86GT with OD 4-speed auto transmission. The 3.4 will be a hydrid, 3.4 displacement & 2.8 heads, intake and ignition system, etc. If that is the case, the 7730 ECM upgrade will work with the engine upgrad I'm also interested in doing the upgarde.

Thanks for you work on the subject and provide the group the information.

Regards,
Mike

The 7730 ECM will work with any pushrod V6 PFI engine. Use of a distributor or DIS ignition system will determine what code mask (programming) you must use. The programming can be adjusted to work with a wide range of mods you install on the engine. The 7730 ECM will work with a 440-T4/4T60 non-electronic auto OD transmission.
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2007 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am hoping for 400+. The members on 60degree6.com were discussing bending a crank beyond that. I am going to look into a bearing cradle to prevent this and improved oiling as one episode was blamed on spinning a rod bearing. I was hoping to do a paddle shift conversion using an aftermarket TCM and a kit. Just can't remember the link.

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited 01-15-2007).]

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2007 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am hoping for 400+. he members on 60degree6.com were discussing bending a crank beyond that. I am going to look into a bearing cradle to prevent this and improved oiling as one episode was blamed on spinning a rod bearing. I was hoping to do a paddle shift conversion using an aftermarket TCM and a kit. Just can't remember the link.

If you think there will be a problem with crank strength some of the 3500 V6s have steel cranks that can be turned down to the proper throw diameter, look for the numbers 7484 stamped on the end of the crank snout to know for sure that's what the engine has without having to do much more than remove the harmonic balancer retaining bolt. If you plan on turbocharging it would be easier to use the entire short block if the compression ratio will be in the range you would like. It will not be as low as the cast iron heads on the 3400 would be since the 3500 heads have a slighly larger combustion chamber than what's found on the 3400. The short block accepts a distributor also.

The late model fwd blocks have substantial main bearing reinforcement via the sidebolts through the oil pan and the windage tray bolted to the caps.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 01-15-2007).]

Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2007 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the differences between the 3500 non-VVT and the 3400. Will the 3500 replace the 3400. I know that the 3900VVT and de-stroked 3500VVT are a different engine than the 3500 non-VVT. Can't remember if its both the block and heads. I just don't want to deal yet with all the computer and electronic issues that have yet to be fully dealt with for the latest GM V6 engines. Someone on 60degree6 has a cable conversion for the 3500's drive by wire throttle. I think it is mentioned in the thread about a 3500 head on a 3400 short block hybrid.
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2007 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just knew that was your car .......hello Bob

Originally posted by Capitol City Fiero:

Ryan:

You got a lot of press on my swap, just a follow up on the car:

440T4 2000rpm @70mph
starts good with no cold start injection even below 20 degrees
idle is at a steady at 700rpm
car runs strong

mpg is 28 city and 35 hwy
car runs on 87 octane fuel as well

440T4 seems to have a final drive of about 284

again thanks Ryan, we love the upgrades

well worth the money for anyone who has a stock 2.8 3 speed automatic

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't had much time to put togther a rewiring instruction sheet because I am knee-deep in the next swap. I WILL get to it at some point and will post it to my website when it is ready. Might be a couple of weeks tho.

-ryan
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody have a spare 7730 lying around...like in a corner...on a shelf...in a garage...in a car...
PFF
System Bot
FieroVin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroVinClick Here to visit FieroVin's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroVinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try Ebay, I found a few there.

------------------
Vin

Registered since March 2003
Fieros at The Glen 2007
86 SE 2M6 Deceased
86 SE 2M4 Burned
87 GT Black
87 GT Med. Red over Silver

Capitol City Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capitol City FieroSend a Private Message to Capitol City FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan time for a bump..........................
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What are the differences between the 3500 non-VVT and the 3400. Will the 3500 replace the 3400. I know that the 3900VVT and de-stroked 3500VVT are a different engine than the 3500 non-VVT. Can't remember if its both the block and heads. I just don't want to deal yet with all the computer and electronic issues that have yet to be fully dealt with for the latest GM V6 engines. Someone on 60degree6 has a cable conversion for the 3500's drive by wire throttle. I think it is mentioned in the thread about a 3500 head on a 3400 short block hybrid.

The 3500 has a better flowing intake system including the heads which many of the fwd 3400 guys are swaping their top end for. It also has larger diameter crank pins to stiffen the crank, one oil squirter for pistons #5 & 6 and 5.9" rods along with a few other minor external changes that should prove it to be overall stronger than the 3400 with a question mark for the pistons since the pin is moved closer to the top. Who knows GM may have used forged pistons in it like those found in the 3.6 DOHC motor found in the front wheel drive vehicles now as documented on their site. It's not likely but then again they also stated the steel crank was reserved for the 3500 V6 SUVs and I discovered personally on two occassions that was not the case in engines from a 04 Malibu and 05 G6 with the 3500.

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

you can get a controller to run a 4t65e in your fiero for less than $800.00 and it gives you options that you would want on a strip and possibly street. putting an electronic tranny is easy if it bolts up and you can get axles.

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 01-18-2007).]

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

timgray

2461 posts
Member since Jul 2006
How about tuneability? the fiero ECM has lots of info out there to get a guy into chip modding quite easy, how much info is out there for this newer ECM and chipset? Do you use TunerCat with it easily or do you use somethign else?
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

How about tuneability? the fiero ECM has lots of info out there to get a guy into chip modding quite easy, how much info is out there for this newer ECM and chipset? Do you use TunerCat with it easily or do you use somethign else?

I use tunercat software for both ECMs. From what I have seen, the OE Fiero 2.8 computers have much less items that can be tuned than the 7730 system. Below are some examples of what can be changed in both ECMs using the Tunercat software...

85 Fiero 2.8 ECM

ECM Switch Parameters
Sync. Mode Closed Throttle Fuel
Transmission Type (X = Manual)
2 Bar MAP Sensor Present
Knock Sensor Enable (X = Enabled)
EGR System Present (0 = Enabled)
EGR System Diagnostic Enable (Error 32)
MAP Sensor High Diag Enable (Error 33)
MAP Sensor Low Diag Enable (Error 34)
Knock Diagnostic Enable (Error 43)
O2 Sensor Lean Diag. Enable (Error 44)
O2 Sensor Rich Diag. Enable (Error 45)

ECM Constants
Spark Reference Angle
Cool. Comp. Spark Advance Bias
Extended Spark RPM Slope
EGR Spark Advance Correction Bias
Knock Retard Per Test Loop
Delay for Knock Retard Recovery
Max Allowable Knock Retard
Base Pulse Constant
Min. Async Injector Pulse Width
Max. Async Injector Pulse Width
Minimum Coolant Temp. For Closed Loop
Closed Loop Delay Timer
Sync Fuel Mode Enable P.W. Threshold
Sync Fuel Mode Disable P.W. Threshold
Cold Engine AFR Coolant Temp Threshold
Crank AFR Decay Scale Factor
Minimum BLM
Maximum BLM
Stochiometeric Air Fuel Ratio
Power Enrich. Enable RPM Threshold
Power Enrich. Enable Delta TPS Thresh.
Power Enrich. Mode AFR
Power Enrich Enable Primary TPS Thresh.
P. E. Enable Primary TPS Thresh. Hyster.
P. E. Enable Secondary %TPS Threshold
Power Enrich Enable Primary MAP Thresh.
Power Enrich Enable Secondary MAP Thresh
Power Enrich Enable Coolant Temp Thresh
Accel Enrich Enable Delta MAP Threshold
Accel. Enrich. Enable Delta TPS Theshold
TPS Thresh. for 2X Delta MAP A.E. Thresh
TPS Thresh for 4X Delta MAP/TPS AE Contr
Decel Enlean Enable Delta MAP Threshold
Decel Enlean Enable TPS Threshold
DFCO Enable RPM Limit
DFCO Disable RPM Limit
Decel Fuel Cutoff (DFCO) Rate
DFCO Enable Speed Threshold
DFCO Disable Speed Threshold
DFCO Enable %TPS Threshold
DFCO Enable MAP Threshold
DFCO Enable MAP Threshold Hysteresis
Clear Flood %TPS Threshold
Clear Flood AFR
Desired Idle RPM in Park/Neutral
Idle RPM Adder For A/C On
EGR Enable Coolant Temp. Threshold
EGR Enable %TPS Threshold
EGR Disable %TPS Threshold
EGR Enable Vacuum Threshold
EGR Disable Vacuum Threshold
EGR Diagnostic Upper Duty Cycle Limit
TCC Lock Speed Threshold
TCC Unlock Speed Threshold
Max. Positive Delta TPS For TCC Enabled
Max. Negative Delta TPS For TCC Enabled
TCC Low MPH Coast Load Limit
TCC High MPH Coast Load Limit
TCC Coast Load Limit High/Low MPH Thresh
TCC Coast Load Limit Hysteresis
TCC Enable Coolant Temp. Threshold
TCC Lockup Delay
Fuel Cutoff Engine Speed
Fuel Resume Engine Speed
Fuel Cutoff Speed
Fuel Resume Speed
A/C Disable %TPS Threshold
PROM ID
N/V Ratio for 5th Gear
N/V Ratio for 4th Gear
N/V Ratio for 3rd Gear
N/V Ratio for 2nd Gear
N/V Ratio for 1st Gear
RPM Tolerance for 5th Gear
RPM Tolerance for 4th Gear
RPM Tolerance for 3rd Gear
RPM Tolerance for 2nd Gear
RPM Tolerance for 1st Gear
Shift Light Delay Time (1st Gear)
Shift Light Delay Time (2nd - 5th Gear)
Shift Light Enable RPM (4th -> 5th)
Shift Light Disable MAP (4th -> 5th)
Shift Light Enable RPM (3rd -> 4th)
Shift Light Disable MAP (3rd -> 4th)
Shift Light Enable RPM (2nd -> 3rd)
Shift Light Disable MAP (2nd -> 3rd)
Shift Light Enable RPM (1st -> 2nd)
Shift Light Disable MAP (1st -> 2nd)

Tables
ECM Switch Table
ECM Constant Table
Main Spark Advance Vs. RPM Vs. MAP
Cool Compensation Spark Vs Vacuum
EGR Spark Advance Correction Vs. %EGR
Power Enrich Spark Advance Vs RPM
Cold Engine AFR Vs. Coolant Temp. Vs. MAP
Crank Air Fuel Ratio Vs. Coolant Temp.
Time-Out Run AFR Correction Vs. Coolant Temp.
%Volumetric Efficiency Vs. RPM Vs. MAP
%Vol. Efficiency Adder Vs. RPM
Accel Enrich. Delta MAP Factor Vs. Delta MAP
Accel Enrich. Delta TPS Factor Vs. Delta TPS
Accel. Enrich Temp. Correction Vs. Cool. Temp.
Decel Enlean Temp. Correction Vs. Cool. Temp.
Decel Enlean Delta MAP Factor Vs. Delta MAP
Decel Enlean. Delta TPS Factor Vs. Delta TPS
Base Pulse Constant Vs. EGR Duty Cycle
BPW Battery Voltage Correction Vs. Battery Voltage
Injector PW Correction Vs. Battery Voltage
Low Pulse Width Injector Offset Vs. BPW
MAT BPW Correction Factor Vs. MAT
Desired Idle RPM Vs. Battery Voltage
Fast Idle IAC Position Offset Vs. Coolant Temp.
Power Steering Stall IAC Position Offset Vs. Baro
%EGR Vs. Vacuum Vs. RPM
TCC Upper Load Limit Vs. MPH
TCC Lower Load Limit Vs. MPH
Knock Attack Rate Vs. RPM
Knock Retard Recovery Rate Vs. RPM
Shift Light Enable RPM Vs. %TPS (All Gears)

86-88 Fiero 2.8 ECM

ECM Switch Parameters
Sync. Mode Closed Throttle Fuel
2 Bar MAP Sensor Present
Speed Sensor Diag. (Error 24)
Wastegate Overboost Diag. (Error 31)
EGR Diagnostic (Error 32)
O2 Sensor Lean Diagnostic (Error 44)
Knock Sensor Diagnostic (Error 43)
O2 Sensor Rich Diagnostic (Error 45)

ECM Constants
Spark Reference Angle
Cool. Comp. Spark Advance Bias
Extended Spark RPM Slope
EGR Spark Advance Correction Bias
Base Pulse Constant
Min. Async Injector Pulse Width
Max. Async Injector Pulse Width
Minimum Coolant Temp. For Closed Loop
Closed Loop Delay Timer
Sync Fuel Mode Enable P.W. Threshold
Sync Fuel Mode Disable P.W. Threshold
Cold Engine AFR Coolant Temp Threshold
Crank AFR Decay Scale Factor
Minimum BLM
Maximum BLM
Stochiometeric Air Fuel Ratio
Power Enrich. Enable RPM Threshold
Power Enrich Enable Primary TPS Thresh.
P. E. Enable Primary TPS Thresh. Hyster.
P. E. Enable Secondary %TPS Threshold
Power Enrich Enable Primary MAP Thresh.
Power Enrich Enable Secondary MAP Thresh
Power Enrich. Enable Delta TPS Thresh.
Power Enrich Enable Coolant Temp Thresh
Power Enrich. Mode AFR
Accel Enrich Enable Delta MAP Threshold
Accel. Enrich. Enable Delta TPS Theshold
TPS Thresh. for 2X Delta MAP A.E. Thresh
TPS Thresh for 4X Delta MAP/TPS AE Contr
Decel Enlean Enable Delta MAP Threshold
DFCO Enable RPM Limit
DFCO Disable RPM Limit
Decel Fuel Cutoff (DFCO) Rate
Decel Enlean Enable TPS Threshold
DFCO Enable Speed Threshold
DFCO Disable Speed Threshold
DFCO Enable %TPS Threshold
DFCO Enable MAP Threshold
DFCO Enable MAP Threshold Hysteresis
Clear Flood %TPS Threshold
Clear Flood AFR
Desired Idle RPM in Park/Neutral
Idle RPM Adder For A/C On
EGR Enable Coolant Temp. Threshold
EGR Enable %TPS Threshold
EGR Disable %TPS Threshold
EGR Enable Vacuum Threshold
EGR Disable Vacuum Threshold
EGR Diagnostic Upper Duty Cycle Limit
TCC Lock Speed Threshold
TCC Unlock Speed Threshold
Max. Positive Delta TPS For TCC Enabled
Max. Negative Delta TPS For TCC Enabled
TCC Enable Coolant Temp. Threshold
TCC Low MPH Coast Load Limit
TCC High MPH Coast Load Limit
TCC Coast Load Limit High/Low MPH Thresh
TCC Coast Load Limit Hysteresis
TCC Lockup Delay
Fuel Cutoff Engine Speed
Fuel Resume Engine Speed
Fuel Cutoff Speed
Fuel Resume Speed
A/C Disable %TPS Threshold
N/V Ratio for 5th Gear
N/V Ratio for 4th Gear
N/V Ratio for 3rd Gear
N/V Ratio for 2nd Gear
N/V Ratio for 1st Gear
RPM Tolerance for 5th Gear
RPM Tolerance for 4th Gear
RPM Tolerance for 3rd Gear
RPM Tolerance for 2nd Gear
RPM Tolerance for 1st Gear
Shift Light Delay Time (1st Gear)
Shift Light Delay Time (2nd - 5th Gear)
Shift Light Enable RPM (4th -> 5th)
Shift Light Disable MAP (4th -> 5th)
Shift Light Enable RPM (3rd -> 4th)
Shift Light Disable MAP (3rd -> 4th)
Shift Light Enable RPM (2nd -> 3rd)
Shift Light Disable MAP (2nd -> 3rd)
Shift Light Enable RPM (1st -> 2nd)
Shift Light Disable MAP (1st -> 2nd)
PROM ID

Tables
ECM Switch Table
ECM Constant Table
Main Spark Advance Vs. RPM Vs. MAP
Cool Compensation Spark Vs Vacuum
EGR Spark Advance Correction Vs. %EGR
Power Enrich Spark Advance Vs RPM
Cold Engine AFR Vs. Coolant Temp. Vs. MAP
Crank Air Fuel Ratio Vs. Coolant Temp.
Time-Out Run AFR Correction Vs. Coolant Temp.
Closed Throttle %Vol. Eff. Vs. RPM Vs. MAP
OpenThrottle %Vol. Eff. Vs. RPM Vs. MAP
%Vol. Efficiency Adder Vs. RPM
Accel Enrich. Delta MAP Factor Vs. Delta MAP
Accel Enrich. Delta TPS Factor Vs. Delta TPS
Accel. Enrich Temp. Correction Vs. Cool. Temp.
Accel Enrich. RPM Correction Vs. RPM
Decel Enlean Temp. Correction Vs. Cool. Temp.
Decel Enlean Load Correction Factor Vs. MAP
Decel Enlean Delta MAP Factor Vs. Delta MAP
Decel Enlean. Delta TPS Factor Vs. Delta TPS
Base Pulse Constant Vs. EGR Duty Cycle
BPW Battery Voltage Correction Vs. Battery Voltage
MAT BPW Correction Factor Vs. MAT
Injector PW Correction Vs. Battery Voltage
Low Pulse Width Injector Offset Vs. BPW
Desired Idle RPM Vs. Battery Voltage
Fast Idle IAC Position Offset Vs. Coolant Temp.
Power Steering Stall IAC Position Offset Vs. Baro
%EGR Vs. Vacuum Vs. RPM
TCC Upper Load Limit Vs. MPH
TCC Lower Load Limit Vs. MPH
Shift Light Enable RPM Vs. %TPS (All Gears)

90-92 F-body 3.1 7730 ECM

ECM Switch Parameters
VATS Select (X = active)
Normally Open Fan 1 Request
Normally Open Fan 2 Request
Lean Cruise Option (X = active)
Highway Mode Fuel (X = enabled)
Fuel Mode (0 = AFR Mode X = BPW Mode)
O2 Sensor Diagnostic (Error 12)
Vss Sensor Diagnostic (Error 24)
EGR Diagnostic (Error 32)
Knock Sensor Diagnostic (Error 43)
VATS Diagnostic (Error 46)

ECM Constants
Initial Spark Advance
Extended RPM Spark Advance Slope
Main Spark Extended RPM Limit
EGR Spark Adv. Correction Bias
Launch Mode Knock Attack Rate Multiplier
Launch Mode Spark Advance Bias
Launch Mode Vehicle Speed Threshold
Launch Mode Positive Delta TPS Thresh.
Launch Mode Disable Neg. Delta TPS
Launch Mode Enable Delta MAP Thresh.
Launch Mode Disable Delta MAP Thresh.
Maximum Time in Launch Mode
Idle Spark Enable TPS Threshold
Idle Spark Enable Speed Threshold
Idle Spark Disable TPS Threshold
Idle Spark Disable Speed Threshold
Highway Mode Spark, Max MAP
Highway Mode Spark, Min Coolant Temp.
Highway Mode Spark Disable RPM Threshold
Coolant Compensation Spark Advance Bias
TCC Locked Spark Retard Bias
Initial Time Out Spark Bias
Knock Retard Enable RPM Threshold
Knock Retard Enable Speed Threshold
Knock Retard Enable Coolant Temp. Thresh
Fan 1 On Coolant Temp, Low MPH, A/C Off
Fan 1 Off Coolant Temp, Low MPH, A/C Off
Fan 1 On Coolant Temp, Hi MPH or A/C On
Fan 1 Off Coolant Temp, Hi MPH or A/C On
Fan 1 Low/High MPH Threshold
Fan 2 On Coolant Temp, Low MPH, A/C Off
Fan 2 Off Coolant Temp, Low MPH, A/C Off
Fan 2 On Coolant Temp, Hi MPH or A/C On
Fan 2 Off Coolant Temp, Hi MPH or A/C On
Fan 2 Low/High MPH Threshold
Fan 1 On Time Delay
Fan 2 On Time Delay
IAC Steps Added for Fan 1 On
IAC Steps Added for Fan 2 On
Max Vehicle Speed for Idle
Idle RPM Offset for A/C On
Fuel Cutoff RPM
Fuel Resume RPM
Fuel Cutoff Vehicle Speed
Fuel Resume Vehicle Speed
Minimum RPM for Block Learn
Maximum RPM for Block Learn
Maximum RPM for Idle Block Learn
Minimum BLM Value
Maximum BLM Value
Minimum Integrator Value
Maximum Integrator Value
Stochiometric AFR
Maximum Allowable AFR
Highway Mode Fuel AFR
Highway Mode Fuel Enable Speed
Highway Mode Fuel Disable Speed
Minimum Async Pulse Width
Maximum Async Pulse Width
Injector Flow Rate
Injector Flow Rate (Display)
Cold Closed Loop Enable Timer
Warm Closed Loop Enable Timer
Hot Closed Loop Enable Timer
Max Coolant Temp for Cold C/L Timer
Min Coolant Temp for Hot C/L Timer
Min. Closed Loop Coolant Temp.
Power Enrich TPS Enable Hysteresis
Power Enrich Enable MAP Threshold
Power Enrich Enable MAP Hysteresis
Accel Enrich Enable Delta TPS Threshold
Accel Enrich Disable Delta TPS Threshold
CCP Enable Coolant Temp Threshold
A.I.R. Enable Coolant Temp. Threshold
Minimum EGR Duty Cycle
EGR On VE Compensation Factor
EGR Enable Min Coolant Temp
EGR Disable MAP Threshold
EGR Enable MAP Threshold
TCC Lock Delay Time
Unconditional TCC Lock Vehicle Speed
TCC Disable TPS Threshold, Low Gears
TCC Enable TPS Threshold, Low Gears
TCC Lock Enable MPH Thresh, Low Gears
TCC Lock Disable MPH Thresh, Low Gears
TCC Lock Enable MPH Thresh, Low Gr, A/C
TCC Lock Disable MPH Thresh, Low Gr, A/C
TCC Disable TPS Threshold, High Gear
TCC Enable TPS Threshold, High Gear
TCC Lock Enable MPH Thresh, High Gear
TCC Lock Disable MPH Thresh, High Gear
TCC Lock Enable MPH Thresh, Hi Gr, A/C
TCC Lock Disable MPH Thresh, Hi Gr, A/C
TCC Lock Enable Coolant Temp Threhold
TCC Lock Disable Coolant Temp Threhold
Number of Cylinders
Road Speed Constant
Instrument Panel VSS Pulse Divisor
Prom ID

Tables
ECM Switch Table
ECM Constant Table
Main Spark Advance Vs. MAP Vs. RPM
Base Cool. Adv. Correction Vs. Load Vs. Cool. Temp
Launch Mode Spark Advance Vs. RPM Vs. MAP
PE Spark Advance Correction Vs. AFR
EGR Spark Advance Correction Vs. % EGR
TCC Locked Spark Retard Vs. RPM Vs. MAP
Highway Mode Spark Advance Vs. MAP
Initial Time Out Spark Vs. Coolant Temp.
Time Out Spark Decay Vs. Startup Coolant Temp.
Knock Retard Attack Rate Vs. RPM
Knock Retard Attack Rate Vs. RPM in PE
Knock Retard Recovery Rate Vs. RPM
Knock Retard Recovery Rate Vs. RPM in PE
Maximum Knock Retard Vs. RPM
Maximum Knock Retard Vs. RPM in PE
Idle Spark Multiplier Vs. Coolant Temp.
Idle Spark Multiplier Vs. MAP
Idle Overspeed Spark Retard Vs. RPM Error
Idle Underspeed Spark Advance Vs. RPM Error
Main Volumetric Efficiency Vs. RPM Vs. MAP
Volumetric Efficiency Adder Vs. RPM
Idle Volumetric Efficiency Vs. RPM Vs. MAP
VE Correction For EGR On Vs. RPM Vs. Vacuum
VE Correction for EGR Vs. MAP (TCC Locked)
Base Pulse Constant Multiplier Vs. MAP/Baro Ratio
Base Pulse Constant Multiplier vs Baro
Base Pulse Constant Vs. Desired % EGR
Power Enrich Enable TPS Thresh. Vs. Coolant Temp.
Open Loop Idle AFR Correction Vs. MAP
Open Loop AFR Vs. Coolant Temp. Vs. Map
Closed Throttle Open Loop AFR Vs. Coolant Temp.
BPW Offset Vs. Battery Voltage
Low BPW Correction Vs. Pulse Width
Power Enrich Mode AFR Vs. RPM
Accel Enrich Factor Vs. AE Pulse
AE Async Pulse Multiplier Vs. Coolant Temp.
AE Async Pulse Multiplier Vs. Delta TPS
AE Async Pulse Multiplier Vs. Baro
AE Async Pulse Multiplier Vs. MAT
Crank Fuel PW Vs. Coolant Temp.
Crank PW Multiplier Vs. RPM
Crank PW Multiplier Vs. Reference Pulse
Crank PW Multiplier Vs. TPS
Crank PW Multiplier Vs. Baro
Desired Idle Speed Vs. Coolant Temp (In Drive)
Desired Idle Speed Vs. Coolant Temp (In P/N)
Max Throttle Follower Steps Vs. RPM
Max Throttle Follower Steps Vs. Vehicle Speed
Max Throttle Follower Steps Mult. Vs. Cool Temp
Throttle Follower Decay Rate Vs. Vehicle Speed
TCC Lower Load Limit Vs. MPH, Low Gear
TCC Upper Load Limit Vs. MPH, Low Gear
TCC Lower Load Limit Vs. MPH, High Gear
TCC Upper Load Limit Vs. MPH, High Gear
EGR Duty Cycle Vs. MAP Vs. RPM
EGR Duty Cycle Multiplier Vs. Coolant Temp.

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just because of the datastream speed alone, the 1227730 is FAR more of a tuneable ECM then the V6 Fiero's could ever be. You see the actual curve of the O2 sensor as opposed to 1.5 second sample rates. The 7730 will do 10 samples in ONE SECOND!!!
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Just because of the datastream speed alone, the 1227730 is FAR more of a tuneable ECM then the V6 Fiero's could ever be. You see the actual curve of the O2 sensor as opposed to 1.5 second sample rates. The 7730 will do 10 samples in ONE SECOND!!!

Agreed. Also, the processing power/speed of the 7730 also appears to be better than the OE Fiero 2.8 ECMs.

Icelander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IcelanderSend a Private Message to IcelanderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the chances that I could install one of these into my 2.5 L4?

I know that it wouldn't make much difference in power or anything. I just want to get rid of the hunting idle and possibly increase it's efficiency.

------------------
Kendall (Icelander) Whitlatch
'85 Fiero 2M4 - 5spd Isuzu
'67 LeMans/GTO clone 6.5 litre TH400
All the rest aren't Pontiacs, so what does it matter?

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It *is* possible to use this computer with the 2.5L 4. Though it was never intended to control this engine, it was used on the 2.0 OHC, which is simular in some ways.

The big selling point with the V6's is that the two connectors on the V6 harness plug into the 7730, the wires just have to be moved around a lot, and a third connector added, and some of the pins moved over to it. The Iron duke has what are called PCB edge connectors, which are not compatible with the 7730, therefore you would have to change all the pins on all the connectors to get it to work. THEN you will need to tune it to the duke, which behaves and is tuned pretty differently from a 2.0L OHC. Im not even sure if the ignition systems are compatible, but they likley are the same knowing GM.
PFF
System Bot
Icelander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IcelanderSend a Private Message to IcelanderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to know. Sounds like if I'm going to go to all that effort, I might be better off waiting to I do my engine swap and use the ECU from that vehicle.

Thanks for the feedback!

[This message has been edited by Icelander (edited 01-18-2007).]

vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2007 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
another candidate ecm would be the '749
fan control
boost control
boost controled spark timeing and fuel tables (calibrations exist for 50lb injectors and 3 bar map sensors)
will run with single or dual knock sensors
will recognise wideband with an easy change to the $58 code
programable shift lights or auto trany shift locations
most tuning soft wear will work with the $58 code
a new self tuning (to a certain point) $59 code is on the horizon
lots of naturally asperated GM vehicles used this ecm besides the various turbo applications
Data Master will log all the ecm data for over 2 hrs ($100 + laptop)
moats has a chip adapter that allows you to burn 16 diff bins on one chip and switch easily between them

ECM $35 on ebay
tuner cat is free
moates single bin adapter is about $40
reusable chips are about $5
chip burner is $85

and Cooter on this board has already done a 2.8 so the bins exist to get you started

------------------

GT just waiting for the conversion
84 Fiero Turbo Vortec 4300 Phantom GT
L35 block, Syclone Intake and ECM
T31 turbine with T04B S3 compressor
super T61 waiting for next winter
www.cardomain.com/id/vortecfiero
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

[This message has been edited by vortecfiero (edited 01-20-2007).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a spreadsheet put together for the wiring conversion. It can be viewed/downloaded here:

http://www.gmtuners.com/files/Fiero2.8_to_7730.pdf

I have wiring diagrams and pinouts for both the Fiero 2.8 ECM's as well as the 90-92 Camaro 3.1 ECM available for download at my website.

-ryan
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Got a spreadsheet put together for the wiring conversion. It can be viewed/downloaded here:

http://www.gmtuners.com/files/Fiero2.8_to_7730.pdf

I have wiring diagrams and pinouts for both the Fiero 2.8 ECM's as well as the 90-92 Camaro 3.1 ECM available for download at my website.

-ryan

Thanks Ryan, can't wait to get started! I hope your're on call for questions. -Jason

Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First thanks Darth for the ecm comparisons (that ought to give me something to do for a while comparing them).
The 7749 functions and abilities and such as listed by vortecfiero are all good. Since the 7730 and 7749 are so similar, do these also apply to the 7730?
What does self-tuning (to a certain point) mean? And as compared to the Fiero's ecm? I thought that everytime you disconnected your battery that the ecm would have to relearn some parameters/values? Does the Fiero ecm not do that?
With the use of a wideband O2 sensor, will the ecm make adjustments to the fuel and spark to keep the A/F ratio at where it is programmed tho keep it. Is this the self tuning that was mentioned?
Who is moates and cooter? Please provide links to both.
Thanks
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rebump back to the top of page 1
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Huh?
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Knight

364 posts
Member since Apr 2006
Is this a 7730? The description lists it as "THE PART NUMBER IS 16171331 AND THE SERVICE NUMBER IS 01227/30" on eBay. :http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190071721326&rd=1,1
If so, then this is my new ECM!
Thanks.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is this a 7730? The description lists it as "THE PART NUMBER IS 16171331 AND THE SERVICE NUMBER IS 01227/30" on eBay. :http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190071721326&rd=1,1
If so, then this is my new ECM!
Thanks.

Yes, that looks like the 7730 ECM you would need.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock