Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Sourmug's Decklid Vent Build ** 56K Warning!!** (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version | Print VBook

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Sourmug's Decklid Vent Build ** 56K Warning!!** by Sourmug
Started on: 03-12-2006 03:40 AM
Replies: 681 (59712 views)
Last post by: labbe001 on 02-22-2024 04:39 PM
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2006 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What? You mean still?
IP: Logged
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well lets see. I've been 29 19 years in a row!!!!!!
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! You're more experienced at being 29 than I am. This will only be my 16th time.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-09-2006).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2006 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a bit of an update:

The filling and sanding of the underside is complete. Here's how it looks after it was cleaned with acetone and then degreaser:

Then it was primed:

It's coming along!

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 05-27-2007).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2006 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002
What really amazes me is all the little imperfections that you can see after the initial sealer caot of primer. I thought for sure that there would be very little this time, it was all nice and smooth and I couldn't feel anything. But...

I guess I have a little more work to do.

Nolan

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2006 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Off topic but my next, next, next project just arrived today!
Here are the pic's:

WOOT!

Have a Happy Easter everyone!

Nolan

Tusch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2006 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, I love the 3S dash, it is still so smooth and clean looking, nice for being 15 years old haha
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2006 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tusch:

I agree. The Fiero interior is the only bit that seems to really date the car. A "sports car" needs a dash that has more flowing curves and lines IMHO. Th is new dash has those qualities. I plan on making door panels to match the lines and curves of the new dash as well.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-13-2006).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2006 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Back on Topic:

I did a little more work on the underside today. The glazing putty was applied and sanded down and the hood was prepared for paint:

And then a first light coat of paint was applied.

My experience from the deck lid taught me to expect some more imperfections to show up and so I wasn't too surprised to find a few. A little more work and some additional painting and the underside will be complete.

Nolan

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2006 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That dash is going to be beautiful!!! You did it to me again!!!! Now I have to go get one. That is the series 3 dash out of a Dodge Stealth or a Mitsubishi 3000 GT correct?
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Timo:

Yes this is the dash out of a Stealth or a 3000 GT. This particular one is a first generation dash without the passenger air bag. I purchased this through a vendor on E-bay who put it all together for me as a package. Let me know if you would like his E-mail address.

Nolan

PFF
System Bot
4.9 PFI FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4.9 PFI FIEROSend a Private Message to 4.9 PFI FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait till the dash swap is underway. Early request for lots of pics.

------------------

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you mean you want lots of pictures??!! I'm waiting for you to get another car and post pictures of yours first!

Nolan

FLASHY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2006 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FLASHYSend a Private Message to FLASHYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nolan,
This is amazing! I cannot wait for the day to see this all complete (as I'm sure you are too ) I love everything you're doing to your Fiero. It's going to look incredible!
So after all this, you'll be able to build a nice Lamborghini or Ferrari for me right? j/k. Congrats on your progress! I'm impressed!

Steve

------------------

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2006 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Steve:

Thanks! But to be honest I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for the people on this forum or the club that we belong to. You guys who have already done things to your cars really inspire me, seriously. I wouldn't have the guts to have tried this before.

Sure, you want a Lambo? No problem, I can build scale models too!

Nolan

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2006 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002
And a drum roll please......

TA DA!

What do ya think?

Nolan

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2006 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

And a drum roll please......

What do ya think?

Nolan

awesome!

Blackeco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2006 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackecoSend a Private Message to BlackecoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work, great to see it all coming along well.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2006 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks really cool. Nice job, Nolan.

Bob

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2006 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely the best hood I've seen of that style!
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2006 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks every one. It still needs a bit of work. If you look closely at the front of the scoop the gap between the two halves is not quite strait. Also there are a few pin holes to fill, but all in all I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Thanks again.
Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-18-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2006 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool

JG

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2006 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

It still needs a bit of work the gap between the two halves is not quite strait.

You'll get it. I have faith!!!

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 04-18-2006).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2006 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's some nice work there, mister. I'm eager to see your work on the dash.
FLASHY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2006 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FLASHYSend a Private Message to FLASHYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang! Even the hood design is amazing! What next?? You're right though. There's definitely a huge amount of help on this forum.

Oh, and I have enough lambo models at my house as it is. But thanks though
See you around!

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2006 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone! Pluses to those who don't already have them.

Well, once I get the front of the scoops straight, I will work on the stage two scoops. I will continue to post the progress on those in this thread too. I may not be able to do much work on the car for the next month due to time commitments, but we'll see how it goes.

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-18-2006).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While not an update (more of a bump actually) I have not done any further work to the hood yet. But here are my seats which have been recovered with a set of Mr. Mike's covers that I had purchased during his Christmas Sale. If you are looking for seat covers I highly recommend Mr. Mike, it's quite easy to do too.
Here are a before and after shot:

Nolan

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK! Well I had a minor set back. While cleaning my garage ,as I couldn't stand the dust and the clutter anymore, I killed my cheap POS oiless compressor.
See Nice and clean:

Here is the victim who met his maker:

I think that all the work sanding and spraying slightly exceeded the poor thing's duty cycle and fried the cylinder/piston My fault really for trying to be cheap. Word to the wise, if you are thinking of buying a compressor the one that you are looking at probably isn't big enough or of sufficient quality. I though that I could get away with a "smaller" 32 gallon unit and justified it by thinking it wouldn't be used all that much. Boy was I wrong!

But All is not lost. I purchased a relatively decent quality single stage upright 240V 60 gallon compressor. Since I had the dead compressor as well I figured I might as well utilize it's pressure tank as a secondary air receiver to increase the systems overall capacity to 92 gallons:

Anyways, I haven't been able to finish the hood scoop, front fenders and stage two scoops for lack of air. I should be able to get to them this weekend hopefully.

Sigh, I shoulda known better.

Nolan
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Nolan, On the compressor...Did it just stop pumping? Mine broke a reed valve. It was easy and fairly cheap to fix, but since you have a new one already, it's just an FYI...

Bob
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob:

Unfortunately it wasn't just the valve, I cooked it pretty good!

Nolan
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW, I am impressed.........able to do all this beautiful work on your Fiero and a world class cook too!!!!! Very Impressive!!!
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, what can I say? I'm a multifaceted individual!
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates for us?
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, I haven't had time to work on it. But I am taking a week off next week so perhaps I will get to it then assuming that I'm not too busy working in the yard.

Thanks for asking though.

Nolan
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just out of curiosity, what was the HP rating of the old compressor? And the new one? I just bought a HVLP spray gun, but don't think my dinky compressor is gonna cut it.

Thanks!
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The old cheap hunk of junk was 5 HP the new one is 7 HP peak load. But these numbers can be misleading, you really need to look at the CFM delivered at 40 PSI and 90 PSI. Make sure you buy a single stage belt driven oiled compressor similar to the blue one in the pictures above. Bigger really is better.

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 05-09-2006).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happenede to all the pix???????
Most of the links here and in my threads are no longer working!!!
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can still see all the pictures. Hmm... maybe your eye sight is dimming as your great age is catching up with you?

I haven't done anything to change the links, perhaps the picture server was down while you were looking at this thread???

Nolan
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was my PC. I had to rebuild it. Windows died. I lost all my emails and address book.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2006 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump to keep this out of the archive.

More progress soon.... really!

Nolan
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock