Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Finale Roadster, The Build (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Finale Roadster, The Build by Archie
Started on: 08-17-2004 11:13 PM
Replies: 486 (61645 views)
Last post by: Hulki U. My-BFF on 10-19-2009 01:23 PM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Deabionni:

Any updates, Archie?

We've only been able to put a few hours in on it for the last 2 weeks.

Next week will be better I hope.

Archie

IP: Logged
ducattiman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
eh archie,,just a few questions.....u said that u were going to put the box tubing were the cooling tube were,if the rocker was not bent,,so if u did would u have ran the cooling throught the tubing then? so which way would u still do it over....in place of the rocker panel or cooling tube area?

with all the metal welded in place and the bounce test u said there was only 1/16 flex,,,what can u do to fix it ?

the lambo kit i am doing needs the roof to be cut as well..i have seen other ways but ur way is by far the best and cleanest

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ducattiman:

eh archie,,just a few questions.....u said that u were going to put the box tubing were the cooling tube were,if the rocker was not bent,,so if u did would u have ran the cooling throught the tubing then? so which way would u still do it over....in place of the rocker panel or cooling tube area?

with all the metal welded in place and the bounce test u said there was only 1/16 flex,,,what can u do to fix it ?

the lambo kit i am doing needs the roof to be cut as well..i have seen other ways but ur way is by far the best and cleanest

You know, that's a good question. But as it stands right now, doing the way we did it on this car is gonna be my recommended way to do it.

Archie

grathke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grathkeSend a Private Message to grathkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a chance to see the roadster in person, and the work looks really nice.

Archie also showed me his completed Fino which I truly love. Believe it or not, my wife is the one who said we should do a Fino. She was the one whole heartedly behind buying the Fiero we now have. Looks like we'll buy a Fino kit in October.

Thanks Archie for your hospitality.

Glenn

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grathke:

Thanks Archie for your hospitality.

Glenn

Your Welcome, nice visiting with you.

Archie

PontiacJ8
From: Clay, New York w/ all the trees & the cars hidden in between!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2004 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ8Click Here to visit PontiacJ8's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^Bump^
24ball

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 24ballSend a Private Message to 24ballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
PontiacJ8
From: Clay, New York w/ all the trees & the cars hidden in between!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2004 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ8Click Here to visit PontiacJ8's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PontiacJ8:

^Bump^

Ditto

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates this week, Archie?
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This thread really fizzled faster then any of Archie's previous build thread's!!
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2004 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TTT
PFF
System Bot
ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump

------------------
Ezra
88 Fiero 2M4 90000 Miles

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, it looks like I'm a bit overdue for an update.

We've had a few days to work on the Spyder & moving right along to finalizing a lot of the details.

KinataroOe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KinataroOeSend a Private Message to KinataroOeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
will the drink holder be a standard option with that kit?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KinataroOe:

will the drink holder be a standard option with that kit?

Yes it will.

Just kidding.

To prototype a car like this, you have to fabricate a lot of things so that the fiberglass will have a finished shape covering all the details when it's removed from the molds. In this kit we will have to cover the top of the cut off "B" pillar & so we've extended the extended the tops of the rear fenders to come forward to the back of the door opening.
In this case we have a pc. of sheet metal all waxed up and underneath the fiberglass mat layup.

You'll also notice that the decklid flares have had radii added where they meet the engine cover & that the engine cover has been reshaped around the perimeter. Also the tops of the fenders where the Finale fiberglass "C" pillars were cut out have been built up to neet the new shape of the engine cover.

Here's what it looks like without the cup holder & with the inside interior trim in place.

We've started filling the foam & getting it ready to sand smooth & pull molds. All of this same type of work still has to be done to the inside of the engine cover too. That way the inside will have just as nice of a finish as the outside.

Archie

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Originally posted by revin:

Would taking a bit off of the height off the "humps" or placed back a tad bit more, make it possible to still use the stock hinges? Or is the seat headrest also a factor in this? I would guess that "just tilting the seat back forward would be to much of a pain to do each time the trunk was to be opened.

When you see what I'm planning for the interior, you will understand why I can't use the stock hinges.

As far as headrest interference that you show in the picture, not to worry. At that time the forward ends of the decklid headrest extensions had not be shaped yet.

Archie

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow....absolutely beautiful....
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming along GREAT, guys!!!

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking great, Archie! Can't wait to see the interior.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well guys, We've got quite a bit done on the PFF Spyder this week.

We set a front clip, hood, door panels & the rocker panels on the car to see what it is going to look like.

I have several pictures of I have several pictures of it I'm going to post up tonight, but before I do that I want everyone to know that the car is not done yet. I know it needs to be lowered, I know it needs a wheel alignment, I know the header at the top of the windshield is not done yet.

Regarding the wing, we are trying to decide between the low wing as seen in the pics & the High wing & NO Wing at all. So your input is requested.

I wonder if any of the Photoshop guys can make it all one color for us.

We are very pleased with how it looks, Check it out.........

Archie

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update Archie. looking good!
PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do like the low wing. I would think that the higher wing on this car would look to.......'importish', but I'd like to see a photoshop of the wing on the car. I've seen some wings on convetibles that make the car look like a grocery cart and I'd like to see that avoided.

Color? Hmmm....I've got some ideas......

Looks beautiful!

Mark
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tomorrow I can work on it in Photoshop. What high wing are we talking about here?
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Tomorrow I can work on it in Photoshop. What high wing are we talking about here?

Like what is on the Blue Fino:

Personally I like the look of the low wing. It looks more like Aus's pic from a side view. I would think the high wing would look too odd sticking way up in the air with the low profile of the decklid.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Low wing.

And its lookin great. Its Mcdonalds - I'm lovin' it!

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Regarding the wing, we are trying to decide between the low wing as seen in the pics & the High wing & NO Wing at all. So your input is requested.

I wonder if any of the Photoshop guys can make it all one color for us.

Either leave the wing low or ditch it. Roadsters need to look low and mean.

--Will

Best I can do so quickly.

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the no wing as in the first RED photo that was used as a concept car..... that looks great! Low and mean!
Pegasus8295

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus8295Send a Private Message to Pegasus8295Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie rocks!

[This message has been edited by Pegasus8295 (edited 10-16-2004).]

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

ACK!!!!! Who are those 2 goons?

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely not the high wing.

The low wing looks good, but I think it might look pretty good with no wing, too. Can't really picture it in my head, though.

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thought it was going to take a lot more work around the rear fenders where the wing roots in . . .
then i saw the pic with the wing on it. very NICE.
definitely the wing shown
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Definitely not the high wing.

The low wing looks good, but I think it might look pretty good with no wing, too. Can't really picture it in my head, though.

We intended to take pics of it with & without the wing. However, when we got it outside with the low wing on it, we knew we loved it.

When we make the molds for the Roadster version of the Fino/Finale we are going to make 2 versions. One version will have the wing stands and use the wing & on the other version we will remove the wing stands & round off & shape the tops of the rear fenders. That way Customers will be able to order it either way.

Archie

Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i vote for Low wing
Daniel87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel87GTSend a Private Message to Daniel87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the low wing. I don't know about no wing. I think that the backwards slope on the decklid, without a wing, would make the butt look funny.
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daniel87GT:
I like the low wing. I don't know about no wing. I think that the backwards slope on the decklid, without a wing, would make the butt look funny.

That's what I was thinking too, but wasn't sure enough to give it a complete thumbs down.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Low wing for sure, it suits the profile... a high wing in an area of empty space would look rather odd. I'll start the photoshop now...
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more pics.............

edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you put a high wing on that car, it will look like a SHOPPING CART

...in fact a lot of cars with high wings look like shopping carts to me anyway but it would be worse with a roof-less car.

I think "no wing" could work but it depends on the slope of the decklid.

Ed

Edit: Here's a half-mule image with the spoiler blanked out. I also trimmed the corner of the quarter panel to improve the look of that area, as just removing the spoiler doesn't look very good.

[This message has been edited by edhering (edited 10-16-2004).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I've done....

pylon orange anybody hahaha

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, 'no wing' looks pretty strange...

What about adding somewhat of a 'ducktail' on the rear edge of the low wing? Nothing huge, just sort of an upward bend?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock