Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Finale Roadster, The Build (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Finale Roadster, The Build by Archie
Started on: 08-17-2004 11:13 PM
Replies: 486 (61645 views)
Last post by: Hulki U. My-BFF on 10-19-2009 01:23 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pennock Barchetta
Barchetta PFF
PFF Spyder
Pennock Daytona
PFF Daytona

Or, w/o the PFF tie in:

LS1 Barchetta
LS1 Spyder
LS1 Daytona, etc. ...

I'm partial to either the LS1 Barchetta or Pennock Barchetta.
Or maybe not use PFF in the name, but put a PFF logo on the car?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 08-24-2004).]

IP: Logged
87FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love this thread and can't wait to see the final product. I will probably get one some day since I had already planned on getting a finale some day. Keep up the good work Archie.

------------------
----------------------

DotTC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

If you want to keep with the italian name theme and this message board:

Connection ---> collegamento

Those are just some words that come to mind when I think of the PFF community.

Finale Collegamento ...

I like that, sounds exotic like that newer Lambo

------------------
1988 Aero 88 coupe.. 2.8l v6.. more mods to come.
Photo Gallery - Fiero Links - WebShop

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow
i mean WOW!!!!
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Finale Cliffster?

LOL ....THE CLIFFSTER !!! we have a winner !! hahahahaha

------------------

98 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. only one in Austin Texas !

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 08-24-2004).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[/QUOTE]

Nope: Way too many $$$ to develope to the point where it will stay on the car under all conditions & if it isn't perfect, way too easy to sue the guy that sold it to you.

Hmmmm......why not avoid that and try that different idea?

As a suggestion: Why no use a 350Z convertable roof? I know that a new roof would cost some $$$$$$'s but if the angle and width is similar to the size of a roofless Fiero...it should be okay? Or maybe a another convertable with ltd space in the back for a lessor reduce or extention of Fiero frame?

Allowing for rear cabin space, the Fiero could then sectioned off between the rear seat and extended out by 12-15"? Just enough for the folding roof to be retracked into the now open space? The angle of the front wind shield could meet where the roof would close?

Is this possible? With all of the knowledge in the shop and past skill along w/skilled labor it seems possible. Besides, how many people would like to drive a complete topless (in sert name here) car 3-4 month out of the year? If you Archie can build a convertable w/a retractable roof.....GM just may have too shut you down for sure!
Oh yeah name the car FLS1/spyder. Letters and numbers are much cooler vs. names. But heck what do I know, hehehehe.

GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why add a roof to a car that you just cut one off of? Go topless on the sunny days. Keep up the good work Archie.
JMO.
Thanks Gary
Gridlock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 220
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GridlockSend a Private Message to GridlockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From a third persons perspective...anything with "PFF" sounds kinda awkward. The Pinnacle has been suggested. I'd like to change the suggestion to the Finale Pennacle. A more subtle approach.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Report on the PFF Spyder for today is that there is no report. We had other cars to work on today & I had to order the Poly Foam that we are going to use to form mock-up of some of the parts we need.

We have a customer picking up a car this week & 2 more coming in by Tuesday, but We'll put in as much time as we can on the PFF Connection. As you can see in the background of some of the pictures, we are also involved in putting together a 328 replica for a NIFE club member. So we remain very busy.

This expanding foam stuff is really cool & fun to work with. When we do the "Foaming" I'm gonna take a bunch of pics, so I can show you it in action. Don't miss this.

Archie

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

The Report on the PFF Spyder for today is that there is no report. We had other cars to work on today & I had to order the Poly Foam that we are going to use to form mock-up of some of the parts we need.

We have a customer picking up a car this week & 2 more coming in by Tuesday, but We'll put in as much time as we can on the PFF Connection. As you can see in the background of some of the pictures, we are also involved in putting together a 328 replica for a NIFE club member. So we remain very busy.

This expanding foam stuff is really cool & fun to work with. When we do the "Foaming" I'm gonna take a bunch of pics, so I can show you it in action. Don't miss this.

Archie

Sweet - looking forward to it Archie!

--Will

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GKDINC:

Why add a roof to a car that you just cut one off of? Go topless on the sunny days. Keep up the good work Archie.
JMO.
Thanks Gary

This is a good reason for living in California. It only rains in about two months of the year around here.. And not much then!

------------------

Fiero-Performance.com

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will-Martin:

Sweet - looking forward to it Archie!

--Will

The guys that have never seen this foam in action are going to be loving it.

It's kinda expensive but I predict that several of them go out & buy it just because it's so much fun.

Rob & Kris have never worked with this stuff either, so it's gonna be show & tell when we do the 1st batch. They are both very sharp & well beyond their years in knowing what they're doing working on these cars. So, I enjoy whenever there's a chance to show them something they don't know yet.

And yeah, I can't wait either.

Archie

Fixer Up

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fixer UpSend a Private Message to Fixer UpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great thread. Wonderful idea and plenty of pics to illustrate what's going on. Maybe even a few ideas to incorporate elsewhere. For the PFF connection in the roadster's name, and a play on Pennock's, how about the "Pinnacle". It sounds close to Pennock's, and it the roadster is at the top of it's form. Only the forum members would catch the connection. Other wise the PFF Spyder has my vote.
Jim
NoFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoFieroSend a Private Message to NoFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finale Foro, has a good ring to it
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And yeah, I can't wait either.

Archie

You sound like a kid with a new toy, Archie. That has to be pretty awesome to be able to do something for a living that you still get excited about after 18 years!

------------------

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nope: Way too many $$$ to develope to the point where it will stay on the car under all conditions

Archie

Hey Archie, my suggestion for a top would to work something out with the guys down at B&B Spyder, they did the Targa top for the "DirtyRat" and are experianced with convertable conversions on the Fiero. Bottom line is these guys know thier stuff, besides it never hurts to call or drop an e-mail.

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose I should do some drawings on how I was going to make the top work on the original design. It is pretty basic, easy to store and put up and strong. Best of all it is installed in the vehicle so it isn't a leave at home option.

------------------

LonnieC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LonnieCSend a Private Message to LonnieCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a question for Archie about the top removal. Did you do any before and after measurements on the change in torsional rigidity when you removed the top? I know you measured the longitudinal rigidity and the structural mods you made were good for that but I'd be interested to know if the structural mods you made did anything for the torsional element. As a side note, I measured the torsional stiffness on my 86 coupe a couple years ago at about 248 K N-m/Rad (3200 ft-lb/deg). As a reference, the 84 C4 Corvette Targa was spec'd at 214 K N-m/Rad, the 85 Corvette convertible was 140 but a 97 C5 without the top was rated at 720 (I guess chassis engineering has made some progress over the years). Our little cars seemed to be pretty stiff for their time.

L8R
Lonnie

Crow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrowSend a Private Message to CrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't bother dealing with B&B. They rarely respond to e-mail and usually don't return phone calls.
Archie is just as skilled as them if not more.

[This message has been edited by Crow (edited 08-25-2004).]

Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where's the Foam?
grathke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grathkeSend a Private Message to grathkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in seeing this, both the look and the functionality.

Glenn

Originally posted by AusFiero:

I suppose I should do some drawings on how I was going to make the top work on the original design. It is pretty basic, easy to store and put up and strong. Best of all it is installed in the vehicle so it isn't a leave at home option.

PFF
System Bot
LonnieC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LonnieCSend a Private Message to LonnieCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About a name... For all us old guys, how about blatent plagarism PF-Flyer (or maybe PFF-Flyer). The first one could be a little red wagon...

L8R
Lonnie

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the top.... Why don't you just use the one that was cut off with a few minor changes to it so it will mat up to the windshild header? Like the Miata's have? a removeable hardtop.

Oh and how are you going about making the header cover plate? Maybe incorporate some latches into it?

------------------

98 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. only one in Austin Texas !

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

On the top.... Why don't you just use the one that was cut off with a few minor changes to it so it will mat up to the windshild header? Like the Miata's have? a removeable hardtop.

To do that would be very difficult. Even if you could make a top out of the cut-off, you would have to address the method of attaching it to the body. It would need to seal good, be convienent to take on & off, matchup with the side windows & not blow off (and become a frisbee) at 100 mph driving into a 40 mph wind.

Then you'd have to find someone that would be willing to pay the costs it would take to develope.

Archie

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LonnieC----------------Did you mention a red flyer?
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today We didn't get a lot of work done on the PFF Spyder, BUT we did get a chance to play with the Foam a little.

Take a little of Part "A" & a little part "B" & We are going to mix these two together & stir. Yes those are 2 McDonalds ice cream cups, which are the official measuring cups of V-8 Archie.

Pour them both into a coffee can & stir with a little paddle thing we made for the electric drill. See it's starting to foam already....

Here it comes.....

Total elapsed time from when the 2 cups were dumped into the coffee can 2 min. 43 sec.

Archie

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post08-25-2004 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-14-2009).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Today We didn't get a lot of work done on the PFF Spyder, BUT we did get a chance to play with the Foam a little.

Take a little of Part "A" & a little part "B" & We are going to mix these two together & stir. Yes those are 2 McDonalds ice cream cups, which are the official measuring cups of V-8 Archie.

They also use stuff like that to insulate the fiberglass double-walled boat hulls and sleepers on semi cabs. I used 2 gallons of that stuff in a guys locker in a dorm room.
(He broke into my locker, stole a radio, broke it and refused to pay for it.) Needless to say, The day I left he had a big surprise when he got back from class. Just for trivia purposes, 2 gallons will fill a standard U.S. Navy dorm locker from top to bottom.

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I seen a guy use the foam once for hsi kayaks bouyance and as I drove past I just knew it was worth going around the block a few times as I used the foam a lot in my fibreglass work. He poured in about as much as the area he needed to fill not realising it expands. Well it was worth watching. It was pouring out of the kayak and down onto the driveway when it started to expand and the guy was running around not knowing what to do.

------------------

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

I seen a guy use the foam once for hsi kayaks bouyance and as I drove past I just knew it was worth going around the block a few times as I used the foam a lot in my fibreglass work. He poured in about as much as the area he needed to fill not realising it expands. Well it was worth watching. It was pouring out of the kayak and down onto the driveway when it started to expand and the guy was running around not knowing what to do.

Did his eye's look like this..?? ----->

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AusFiero:

Did his eye's look like this..?? ----->

[/QUOTE]

More like this his face looked.

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That looks like a worm from the movie Dune.

------------------

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
That looks like a worm from the movie Dune.

Or the sorting hat from Harry Potter. Cool stuff!!

Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kind of reminds me of what the auto-dog puts out (auto-dog -- Navy slang for soft-serve ice cream dispenser, so named because it resembles the output of...).

Hmmm...1/4 the amount in Arch's pix ought to be just about right for filling the standard police motorcyle helmet...('s okay...we both have guns, lol)

------------------
88 Formula, "Asphalt Aviator"

Celebrate Artesian New Year!!!

HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to use great stuff. But who makes that stuff? Looks like just the thing for my dash project.
HIOSILVER
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that 2 five gallon black containers full of this stuff? You could pour it on the lawn, let it grow, and sculpt a house out of it.

Thats neat stuff.

YellowRooster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowRoosterSend a Private Message to YellowRoosterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, Awesome job to all three of you. I just saw this thread and this is going to rock! Great job.

Tell Kris and Rob "hey" from me!

Mike

Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

Is that 2 five gallon black containers full of this stuff? You could pour it on the lawn, let it grow, and sculpt a house out of it.

Thats neat stuff.

You know, you may have something there...use something similar to concrete forms to direct the shape, and fiberglass epoxy resin to protect the outside, and you could build a lightweight but tough shell...instant garage...how much does that stuff cost, anyway? You're right, Archie, that stuff is way cool. And speaking of cool, I wish I'd had someone like you to be apprenticed to when I was the age of Rob and Kris. I think it's a great thing the way you've helped insure the next generation of car crafters, and maybe improved a couple of lives along the way.

------------------
88 Formula, "Asphalt Aviator"

Celebrate Artesian New Year!!!

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get almost all of my fiberglass supplies from Wicks Aircraft supply. Their foam is Instafoam and is 2#/cu ft density. It expands about 30:1.

If you're filling in openings (door handles, etc.) be sure to drill a couple of good sized holes in the back and cover them with packing tape before you fill. When you're done, pull the tape off. The foam will outgas for quite some time even after it appears to be cured (several days or more) and if you glass over it without somewhere for the gas to go, it can cause delamination.

John Stricker

Originally posted by HIOSILVER!:

I was going to use great stuff. But who makes that stuff? Looks like just the thing for my dash project.
HIOSILVER

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Earlier in the week we had done some planning on what we would be needing to do to the decklid area in regards to the headrests & the top of the decklid. If you compare these pics to the PS showing the decklid to the actual decklid, you'll see that the PS has the surface of the decklid lower than it is in the actual car.

The actual decklid is almost as high as the stock Fiero seats are & we'll have to lower the decklid as much as we can to get some definition in the headrest extensions.

I had an old Instrument panel surround from a dash I designed years ago & it had the outside shape I had in mind for the headrest extensions.

But I also wanted it to taper back into the decklid a lot farther than it does in this picture.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock