Well since the thread has been running for over 10 years I don't think a 1 or 2 month absence counts it as dead. This is a really neat build and I am excited to see it finished. the builder has stuck with it this long I think he will probably finish.
So what happened? Life, love, etc? Did you sell the car? What up?
Originally posted by ericjon262:
if I had to venture a guess, I would say it was sarcasm. if you look at this thread overall, there are gaps with no post for a while, then posts, then gaps, ect.
Spot on. The big gaps are due to a simple fact: I'm trying to get steak results on a hot dog budget. I do okay, but I still only have an average paying job and this stuff is really expensive. (Yes, I have other occasionally expensive hobbies also). As an example, nabbing the clutch that I was planning on spending $4K for $1K instead probably cut a year or two off my build time. I'm still always planning on how to get this done.
Here's a look at an excerpt of a small part of my up-to-date build sheet:
That just covers the EFI and dashboard.
So to answer a question, no the project is not dead. Not even remotely close. Yes, progress is slow and will continue to be slow for the foreseeable future. If you're in to immediate gratification this is not the thread for you. If you want to see something cool done with pieces of extremely rare racing history, stick around. Right now the priority is drivetrain. Electronics advance at a pretty steady and rapid pace so that's last on the list.
[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 08-04-2016).]
A buddy had an Iron Duke AMC Spirit dirt track car that i helped develop/build the engine. He bought an aluminum SD head from Jegs that was fully ported (probably too ported for dirttrack), some 6" C&A aluminum small journal small block rods (7), Diamond pistons, Ultradyne cam, Crane rockers, Edelbrock intake. A local machine shop narrowed the big end of rods by .077" from memory to match the Duke stock crank. When scrounging for bearings, only place that would make a set wanted $200.00 just for cutting the width of "stock" SB rod bearings. I made a mandrel out of a PVC fitting with a freeze plug in one end to stiffen it to clamp the bearings to with a hose clamp. Cut .030" off one side & .045 off other in lathe. Radiused inner edge of bearing using edge of a file. Took less than an hour to make tooling and do a set of bearings. We originally had serious oiling issues till a competitor told us to see if the oil filter bypass valve had been pushed into the oil galley. BINGO! Removed and plugged hole then used a different oil filter with bypass built in.
It never ran to full potential IMO due to his choice to use BB Chevy rockers (1.72?) instead of the rec 1.55 ratio. It sounded sweet though...so i am very interested in seeing this get done. Money is always an issue. How fast can you afford to go?
Looks like Photobucket finally bit the dust on free hosting. I'll have to go through all the old posts and relink = /
I'm in the same boat, makes my stomach turn thinking about it. I have been downloading all of the pictures I had on there, and I'm going to delete my account. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount, but they want $500 per year to host them...
------------------ "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
I acquired a 3L Cosworth SD4 years ago to use in a Bonneville Land Speed Record Car. It was one of the 3L IMSA engines for the Pontiac backed Fiero effort (really a Spice chassis). I freshened it, built mounts for it and fabricated the headers.
Later I ran across a brand new Cosworth 'kit' to convert a 2V SD4 to the (Cosworth) 4V version. All parts were cataloged and in individual boxes or packages. There were no subassemblies. The throttle bodies, for example, came as bare castings and all the throttle body related hardware in individual packages. There were quite a few components for each TB.
The engine was built using the Cosworth parts, a 3.625 SD crank, Carrillo rods, new (lower compression) JE pistons, and a new KRP block
The new engine belongs to a friend, and will go into a street car and be either supercharged or turbocharged. He's looking for a nice Pontiac Astre, but may have to settle for a Chevy Vega. Please pass on any leads.
Should be fun!
[This message has been edited by michaelmount123 (edited 05-23-2020).]