Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Turbo Super Duty Build. (Page 15)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Turbo Super Duty Build. by FastIndyFiero
Started on: 09-27-2004 06:50 PM
Replies: 627 (85442 views)
Last post by: Will on 05-08-2023 06:40 PM
michaelmount123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michaelmount123Send a Private Message to michaelmount123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've acquired a SD-4 Cosworth (IMSA) engine with a few spares. Although it's not yet here, I'm considering a turbo upgrade for a Bonneville car. Are you making your intake / exhaust flanges available? It would sure save a lot of head ache!
Thanks!
IP: Logged
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michaelmount123:

I've acquired a SD-4 Cosworth (IMSA) engine with a few spares. Although it's not yet here, I'm considering a turbo upgrade for a Bonneville car. Are you making your intake / exhaust flanges available? It would sure save a lot of head ache!
Thanks!

I'll send a PM, we can discuss it! Right now the current set of flanges are reserved for Alan Samura.

Nate

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 04-18-2014).]

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Loving this thread BTW.

Question(s) : You're using PRO-E, correct? How do you like it? Never had to use it career wise, but always kind of wanted to learn it. I've always been stuck on Siemens NX, Inventor, or Solidworks.

Side question: If you ever want some help with analysis, feel free to forward some models over. I can run them through ANSYS simulation (if you don't already have access to) not only under static loads but with vibrations as well.

Cheers,
Joe
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RandomTask:

Loving this thread BTW.

Question(s) : You're using PRO-E, correct? How do you like it? Never had to use it career wise, but always kind of wanted to learn it. I've always been stuck on Siemens NX, Inventor, or Solidworks.

Side question: If you ever want some help with analysis, feel free to forward some models over. I can run them through ANSYS simulation (if you don't already have access to) not only under static loads but with vibrations as well.

Cheers,
Joe

CATIA actually. Most of the analysis I've done in CATIA as well, which uses a fairly fully-featured ABAQUS solver. Some analysis I've done with ANSYS and PATRAN/NASTRAN. Most of the pretty pictures I post here are from CATIA. Here's a screenshot from the flywheel stuff I was working on last year. Last year? Scratch that, 2011. WOW. Okay:

That's a combined loading scenario, showing 12,000 RPM (3K over-rev) as well as an angular acceleration equivalent to a very harsh clutch engagement or missed shift. I think it was something like 800,000°/s². Anyway, I have a lot of fun doing this, and unfortunately there's a lot of analysis and pictures that unfortunately I have been too lazy to post. I'd be happy to send you some models and scenarios that I'd like to see and compare results.

I'm hoping to make some updates (on NEW news) later this week.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm buying another new Cosworth head kit. This one is supposed to be complete.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You must hate yourself if you're using nastran/pastran.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You must hate yourself if you're using nastran/pastran.

Occupational hazard, given the industry I work in.

So as I mentioned above I found another complete (new) Cosworth head kit. This should have everything I need to get the kinks worked out. The guys that I'm getting it from in Puerto Rico were turbocharged using stock Cosworth cams on a 3.0L Pontiac SD block. He said their last dyno pull was 1200hp. Best 1/4 mile time was 7.01 @ 198.

Once the kit arrives, if everything checks out I may start thinking about getting rid of my 2-valve head, intake, and pistons. I'd like to see someone complete a turbo setup with my 2V head. It's really close. The guy I'm getting the Cosworth kit from also has a few SCAT billet cranks and a block, as well as some other assorted parts that he's cleaning out of the shop. I have his email if anyone wants to get in touch.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to these guys:

The *DOHC* Super Duty build is back online in a big, big way:

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't know how much this update excites me, been following this thread for years. Only tripped over it again because I was perving at Nick Arias Jr aluminium SD4 blocks
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any updates?
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some...I've got everything inventoried and all of the parts I need for the Cosworth head swap are present and accounted for. Lifter bore plugs, cam gears, cams, timing cover...All there.

I may actually try to work on the car during the break, try to pull the gas tank and check the extent of the damage of sitting for several years.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 12-25-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any guesses on what's going on here?

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 12-29-2014).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
making a stencil for a custom head gasket?

------------------
"I'm not what is called a "civilized man" professor, I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me therefore I do not obey it's laws."

we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

making a stencil for a custom head gasket?

Nope. Next!
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
media blast and paint?
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Piezo ceramic head gasket as an alternator replacement?
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Piezo ceramic head gasket as an alternator replacement?

I wasn't planning on it, but it sounds kinda cool now =D
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so whats the scoop?
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coffee table?
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw this on eBay, thought of you...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rar...em2a48febdc3&vxp=mtr
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Cool piece if he were running a carburetor.
With fuel injection and an ECM he'd need an ECM controlled distributor.

PFF
System Bot
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

That mag is pretty sweet, I could run two and have a rotary switch in the cabin...Take me back to my flying days...As mentioned though, I am running EFI so someone else better scoop it up.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

More progress. The pattern was chosen for a reason...
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
some sort of 3d scan?
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2015 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

some sort of 3d scan?

Bingo! I'm doing a photogrammetric 3D scan of the block. The process is sensitive to reflective surfaces, so I'm covering the machined areas with paper. The flaking orange plate and bare cast iron should work pretty well without doing anything else. When there's a nice overcast day I'll drag the block outside and take around 200 photos at around 5-10° spacing and varying heights. These will then be stitched into a point cloud model of the block.

I also have a process I'm working up to do the same thing for the engine bay.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 01-05-2015).]

dr_frankenstein56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dr_frankenstein56Send a Private Message to dr_frankenstein56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive watched this thread since day one in 04.

Figured now was the time to speak up.

I am essentially missing a few pieces to finish my engine, I need the Hilborn Injection manifold or carbed intake for the 801 head, I need a flywheel, and id like a cast alum timing cover. If anybody has any leads on this stuff I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thank you guys, been a good read here for 10 years.

Aj

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm late to this thread, but I'm wondering how the 3D scan worked out? When I started to upgrade my turbo, I scanned all my parts/engine bay to import to solidworks. I know its not professional quality, but I was able to pickup the important header flange 'planes' and get an idea of spacial relationships.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 03-08-2015).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've also been watching since the first week, eagerly anticipating the finished product. Any decade now...
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I scored a new old stock Quartermaster Carbon-V clutch. It's from 2001, but brand new in box. 3 disc, 5.5". I would have liked one of the new Tilton or QM Carbon clutches, but I got this thing for ~$850, which is something like $3500 off the new price so there's that. And it has an extra flywheel that I won't be needing so I can recoup a little there too :-D

Another $300 for a new 1"x23 spline hub to go into the F40, and I'll be on my way. At this point I'm still leaning towards this solution:

I'm still looking at needing an additional 3/8" of clearance that will need to come from a spacer plate between the engine and trans. I was hoping to get everything packaged in without needing that, but I don't think it's going to happen. The clutch mounting surface sits ~1.43" out from the bellhousing. Max clutch clearance height is 2.23", plus 0.10" for good measure. That puts me at 3.66" I need to clear inside the bellhousing, and the max worn set-up height would be at 3.09" total.

per this thread: Transmission Bellhousing Depths

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Here are the measurements I have. For the case depth, the two radii you have listed are the same for all transmissions. Also, the depth is limited by the aluminum bearing bosses for the transmission shafts.

code:

Case End of End of Retraced Extended End of TOB
Depth Input Shaft Splines TOB TOB Sleeve
92-94 HTOB Getrag: 2.454” -0.052” 0.316” 2.425” ------ ------
Isuzu: 2.462” 0.336” 0.562” 2.504” ------ 1.764”
F23: ??? ??? ??? 2.776” 1.899” ------
F40: 3.513” 1.128” 1.527” 3.529” 2.660” ------

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 06-19-2015).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastIndyFiero:
from here http://realfierotech.com/ph...30&start=200#p141772

FYI, Link doesn't work, say's "You are not authorised to read this forum.". Most everyone here won't have permission to view that if it's in the "Privileged Users Forum"

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FYI, Link doesn't work, say's "You are not authorised to read this forum.". Most everyone here won't have permission to view that if it's in the "Privileged Users Forum"

Thanks, did a straight copy/paste from my original post.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thing is cool:

PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. THat thing looks like overkill. Sexy.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice find on the the Quartermaster.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastIndyFiero:

This thing is cool:

I just checked out their website....nothing cheap there! I wonder how that one would feel? Great buy for $850 !
michaelmount123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michaelmount123Send a Private Message to michaelmount123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cosworth lists an ignition component for the SD-4 which I don't have, and MSD is no help so far. Anyone know what this box is?

MSD Heavy Duty ignition amp 82594

TIA
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michaelmount123:

Cosworth lists an ignition component for the SD-4 which I don't have, and MSD is no help so far. Anyone know what this box is?

MSD Heavy Duty ignition amp 82594

TIA

From what rumor I can scare up from the Google overlords, it appears that MSD manufactured a GM Heavy Duty Ignition amp, which was essentially a rebranded MSD 6TN. Have you called MSD to see if they have a lookup for the old part number? Taking a guess from the other PN's called out, it looks like it's spec'ing a timing curve computer and a traditional MSD CD ignition box.

Are you planning on using the Cosworth EFI?
michaelmount123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michaelmount123Send a Private Message to michaelmount123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, started with Google and MSD. MSD claims PN is too old and they can't help (I'm still bugging them, though). Yes, I'm trying to use the old Cosworth ECU. My fallback is to go to another commercial ECU.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The new clutch hub came in yesterday, 1" x 23 spline to fit Ford, Porsche, and Getrag F40. I figure this way if I decide at the last second to use a G50, I'm covered lol

pontiacjeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacjeffClick Here to visit pontiacjeff's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacjeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates?

I'm building a Cosworth for a customer. Looking for another Cosworth, preferably a complete engine.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock