Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Turbo Super Duty Build. (Page 12)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Turbo Super Duty Build. by FastIndyFiero
Started on: 09-27-2004 06:50 PM
Replies: 627 (85511 views)
Last post by: Will on 05-08-2023 06:40 PM
FastIndyFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2008 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

The guy I bought the head from might have a custom made timing cover still. If not, I know he sold several other DOHC items to some racers in Puerto Rico. I'll try to get the contact info.

Thanks, I would appreciate that!

Getting there...
IP: Logged
Tomcars1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2008 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tomcars1Send a Private Message to Tomcars1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nate,

Contact me at Tomcars1@netscape.net . I have a complete 2.7 L Cosworth Fiero / Super Duty motor from one of the Spice Fiero IMSA GTU vehicles : Ex- Charles Morgan 1988. This engine was built by Vanderly Engineering in Bilouxi Miss . Jack Ondrack and I have exchanged replacement components in the past - he is probably the source for most of your non-Kansas Racing componenets and is going to to be supplying some set-up components in the future. What may be of interest to you is that the engine I have - Pontiac Motorsports : PM181 also has numerous componenets from a second motor: PM182 that disintegrated following an apparent over-rev above 8300 that resulted in a destroyed block at the #1 cylinder. E-mail me with what you are currently missing on your engine and I may have them in my inventory of SPARES or may have contacts to find what you need.

Tom Eatman

The_Stickman2

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2008 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful looking header. Keep up the good work.

------------------
My sites
http://the-stickman.tripod.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheStickman

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2008 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tomcars1:

Nate,

Contact me at Tomcars1@netscape.net . I have a complete 2.7 L Cosworth Fiero / Super Duty motor from one of the Spice Fiero IMSA GTU vehicles : Ex- Charles Morgan 1988. This engine was built by Vanderly Engineering in Bilouxi Miss . Jack Ondrack and I have exchanged replacement components in the past - he is probably the source for most of your non-Kansas Racing componenets and is going to to be supplying some set-up components in the future. What may be of interest to you is that the engine I have - Pontiac Motorsports : PM181 also has numerous componenets from a second motor: PM182 that disintegrated following an apparent over-rev above 8300 that resulted in a destroyed block at the #1 cylinder. E-mail me with what you are currently missing on your engine and I may have them in my inventory of SPARES or may have contacts to find what you need.

Tom Eatman

Jack sold me most of his stuff already Tom. I have subsequently resold most of it. But Jack sold some SD Cosworth stuff to a racer in Puerto Rico and here is his contact info:
Rafael Rivera of Ponce, Puerto Rico - his phone number is 787 843 6410

Good luck
Dave Deerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave DeersonSend a Private Message to Dave DeersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Todd,I bought Jack's old IMSA car that your engine and trans came out of!Small world! Not to hijack the thread too badly,but in the parts you got from Jack,were there any extra Torsen limited slip units for the Getrag/Webster trans?I am looking for one of those units for a friend.
Hey Todd,isn't your car a tube frame GT2 syle car also?Can you send me pics of it as I have been compiling a file of pics of any remaining tube framed Fieros still in the country.You can reach me at daviddeersomn@yahoo.com or call me at my shop 732-257-2664 8 to 5 eastern.

Thanks guys,
Dave D.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info Toddster, I will try to get ahold of him. I finished the second header design today, it's about 4 inches longer than the first but places the turbo in a more ideal location.

A wolf in sheep's clothing, no doubt:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

That's a look under the skin of the last picture.
DarkRanger4200

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarkRanger4200Click Here to visit DarkRanger4200's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarkRanger4200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you are going to have one NASTY (in a good way) engine when you done i want that sooo bad!

------------------
"willing is not enough, we must do. knowing is not enough we must apply" -Bruce Lee-

Dave Deerson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave DeersonSend a Private Message to Dave DeersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for Todd(Toddster) or Tom(Tomcat),I just was looking for some info from Tom and to see if Todd had a Torsen LSD in with the parts he bought from Jack Ondrak?Guys,are you out there?Sorry,but I just feel snubbed due to a topic drift.I own a real IMSA GTU Fiero and just like to collect info on some of the other tube chassis cars left out there.
Sorry for the rant,
Dave D.
The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastIndyFiero:

I'm pretty sure it's done...Length from head flange to collector is 19". Each runner is composed of 4 seperate bends, 3 welds required for each, plus the transition from oval to round.

I just realized something the other day when cleaning my garage out to make room for the Latemodel that has my new Super Duty in it. I have a set of IndyCar headers. And guess what? The flange and ports look amazingly like what your Cosworth head exhaust flanges look like. take a look and compare.

------------------
My sites

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news, Tomcars1 is going to help me out by letting me use some of his DOHC parts for reference. So except for camshafts, I should be able to reproduce everything I need.

Thanks!
The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great news. Can't wait to hear your next update.

------------------
My sites

PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Deerson:

Looking for Todd(Toddster) or Tom(Tomcat),I just was looking for some info from Tom and to see if Todd had a Torsen LSD in with the parts he bought from Jack Ondrak?Guys,are you out there?Sorry,but I just feel snubbed due to a topic drift.I own a real IMSA GTU Fiero and just like to collect info on some of the other tube chassis cars left out there.
Sorry for the rant,
Dave D.

Sorry to be away from the thread for so long but work is hectic latley. Anyway, I sold all of the spare LSD's I had. Fierobear bought one and I don't think he needs it. You might try to email him.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With a turbo you are putting in somewhat of an inline exhaust restriction. IMO this may need to be taken into accord when designing the headers. Too much flow slows down the exhaust flow killing the boost at the bottom end while too little flow restricts the boost at the top end. With a turbo you want a fast moving exhaust flow. This is best done with Ceramic Coated exhaust tubing that keeps the heat in and tubing that's not overly large which keeps the flow moving quickly. On the exhaust side of the turbo you can go as big as you like without any ill effects.

------------------
87GT - with 3800SC Series III engine, 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 04-25-2008).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered material for Cosworth intake #1. I've also been thinking about reviving my barrel throttle idea. It's been occupying most of my thoughts for the last month, I think I've had some good ideas concerning the fabrication and design of it; I also spoke to someone that fabricated their own barrel throttle for a Subie flat 4. I feel that I should develop a more traditional intake manifold first, to refine the tuning process. I'll post some details of my plans for intake 1 later.

Nate
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So here's the idea for the runners:

The radius of the ends of the ports is about 0.63". So I got some 1-3/8 tube to cut in half. Then I'll just weld two bent flats of aluminum between the two, and I'll have bent runners that are the right size without trying to form things the hard way, like smoosh round tube into ovals and try to bend that. Eventually I'd like to do carbon runners.

And, I started to put down a rough idea of what I'm wanting for the throttle, for each cylinder:

It has quite a few things left to work out, and some basic design still to be determined.
Tomcars1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tomcars1Send a Private Message to Tomcars1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nate,

Have made a contact with Cosworth and two technical documents on the Super Duty Twin Cam engine are available. I will E-mail you both : one is a detailed specification on the 2.7 and 3.0 Liter versions of this engine with setup / assembly / and start-up instructions. The second document is a parts list for the Twin Cam conversion kit. The kit is very complete as provided from Cosworth - it included everything for a long block except the GM engine case, crankshaft, oiling system ( both a wet sump and a dry sump was used on these engines - the dry sump being the more common for non-drag racing ). The intake system was optional - both Cosworth Digital Fuel injection or Carburation. Unfortunately - most of the components listed by part # are no longer carried in stock by Cosworth. My contact may be able to locate engineering drawings and assembly drawings / instructions for us in the near future. Will have to wait and see on this. Cosworth may have one ( 1 ) Twin Cam conversion kit still available - they will be finding out if it is a complete kit on not. This Kit is VERY complete with most internal recipricating components : Forged pistons, Steel forged rods, etc.. Price will reflect this completeness - initial quote of $8,500 - if complete and available.

Some of the specifications are quite suprising - 2.7 L engine had torque of 234 Ft/ Lbs @ 6500 with a max speed of 8750. 3.0 L engine had torque of 260 Ft/Lbs @ 6500 with a max speed of 8500.

So - your expected power output looks to be realistic in a turbocharged form. This engine - using the GM SuperDuty case and crank is very stout - but Cosworth admits that it is heavy in comparison to competing engines - but that is your advantage in a forced induction format.

Tom .
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have recieved Tom's email, quite priceless Cosworth documents at this stage.

I've been refining the above barrel throttle, it's starting to look more like reality and less like a pipe dream. Only a minimal amount of work will have to be done on a CNC machine, which I don't always have access to. The rest can be done on a manual mill and lathe.

This has been taking the sideburner to my "other" project:

Though me and my buddies have been known to take a break

Still going....
Nate
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2008 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progress update?
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recieved some of the parts (bearings, fasteners, o-rings) for my prototype throttle body, I'm getting pretty amped about that. No news yet about the timing cover and all that business.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started on my proto-throttle...
PFF
System Bot
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alan sent me his DOHC parts for comparison and reference. His head is set up to use a double timing chain, while mine is only a single. From what I can tell from the Cosworth doc, however, the cams are the same. So I'm going to be doing some fine measuring and get all the journal and critical dimensions from the cams. He also sent me his Cosworth pistons. Pretty impressive for 1980's pieces...They only weigh 20g more than my dished CP pistons, with a full dome. I'd like to use these for reference and have CP make a stronger version in an X-forging, so I'd have the better ring land features that the CP's boast. I'm not sure how this would compare to just sending in a mold of the combustion chamber.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's what happens when I use a CNC machine by myself.

Here's what happens when someone helps me along by changing my offsets without telling me:

After closer examination...It looks like the offsets were not changed (I don't have to kill anyone now, yay). When I started cutting, the part flexed enough for the pressure to be relieved off the vise jaws and the part to slip, it rode up to the top of the cutter faster than I could push the stop button. I am fairly suprised this happened, as there was still quite alot of material keeping the top section of the part stiff. Maybe I didn't tighten down the vise enough...who knows. In any case, the prototype barrel throttle is indeed finished . I'll probably make one more to try out some ideas, then I want to start on the 'production' throttles.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 06-21-2008).]

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2008 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While work starts on prototype throttle #2 housing, branches to different parts on proto-throttle #1:

Hopefully I can get in on the CNC this weekend.

And, almost done with the house.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2008 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh wow, im jealous. that you have a cnc machine.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp to the wheels

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2008 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Throttle body housing #2:

Reaming the holes for the alignment pins...

The (somewhat) finished product:

Notably absent from housing #1 are the difficult-to-install thread inserts, which I figured were nice, but not REALLY necessary. I also received the aluminum for the barrel valve portion, and I hope to cut the CORRECT ports into housing #2 this week. I've also made a decision:

The SD4 will complete its first iteration in pushrod form. I have almost all the parts I need except for the header to do this. It would be silly for me not to. In the meantime, I will try completing the parts collection/replication for the DOHC head.

Goodnight and goodluck,
Nate
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2008 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Throttle housing almost done, I'm going to try to get the o-ring lands cut on Monday or Tuesday.

I can see this thing flowing pretty good:

Fit is exceptional, at most 5-10 thousandths off in places. Luckily for me all the ports are very consistent. I haven't done any calculations for runner length using this throttle setup, so I'm still not sure where these things are going to sit.

I still haven't gotten to do the end caps, haven't been able to scrounge the material...Soon though.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent some of my day off designing a rocker girdle:

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 09-08-2008).]

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been looking into a new rendering package, here's a couple of screenshots. I wish I could save the full rendering outputs, but oh well.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 09-11-2008).]

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2008 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What package is that, those are extremely nice renders.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maya? 3d studio max?

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp at the motor

PFF
System Bot
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2008 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastIndyFiero:

While work starts on prototype throttle #2 housing, branches to different parts on proto-throttle #1:

Seeing this reminded me of an article I seen in an old hotrod mag where this company was doing an experimental head for a Ford 5 Litre engine where the valves were removed and something similar to this was installed in a brand new casting. They had a stock black and rotating assy spinning at 10K RPMs! Never heard anything about it past that. I hope someone seen the same article I did to verify this.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2008 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I know what you're talking about. Is this it?
http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv.html

Here's a link to a slightly more complex, but REALLY cool system:
http://www.v-eight.com/mult.../pdf/AutoTechBRV.pdf

The problems I have always seen is 1) maintaining seal integrity, and 2) Flow inefficiencies through partially opened valves. Fix those, put 50 years on the design, and you've got a pretty good system.

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

What package is that, those are extremely nice renders.

It's Bunkspeed Hypershot. A monkey could use it. For the above examples I loaded IGES conversions of my models, right clicked on the model and defined a material, and took a real-time screen shot, didn't even "render" per se.

Here's a couple of screen shots of one of my non-Fiero related models (was bored for a couple of hours, so I made sunglasses).
http://img.photobucket.com/...ndy/CAD/Glasses1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...ndy/CAD/Glasses2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...ndy/CAD/Glasses3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...ndy/CAD/Glasses4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...ndy/CAD/Glasses6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...ndy/CAD/Glasses7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...ndy/CAD/Glasses8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...ndy/CAD/Glasses9.jpg

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 09-18-2008).]

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2008 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FastIndyFiero

2545 posts
Member since Aug 2002
I got my ARP flywheel bolts in today. They fit the flywheel perfectly, they were described as Tilton flywheel bolts only, so I took a little gamble.

I was a little concerned at first, with the amount of overhang on the back of the crankshaft face, near the main bearing.

I did a test fit of the crank in the block, and there's a good .020-.030" gap between the faces of the bolts and the main adapter. If the bolts touch the main, I'll already have bigger problems.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 09-18-2008).]

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I've found another ECU that looks like it will work best for my needs. Best mix of ability and price. It's the Link G4 Xtreme. I downloaded the tuning/interface program and have been playing with it for several weeks now. It's extremely intuitive, and easy to set up complex details, assign inputs, outputs, edit maps, do everything that needs to be done. By far the best tuning interface I have ever used. Has alot of inputs/outputs, can do VVT, sequential injection, COP, traction control, anti-lag, etc. AND it's about $1400 WITH harness. This is much cheaper than many other equivalent products.

http://www.linkecu.com/prod...lder/g4xtremespecjpg

I'll post up some shots of the software later.
thebaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thebaronClick Here to visit thebaron's HomePageSend a Private Message to thebaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! I hope to see your monster on the road soon enough! I was watching Horsepower TV and they were installing some monster turbo engine in a Mustang, but they used an interesting idea for mounting the engine: sheets of steel on the transmission and the front of the engine. The front sheet could act to the keep the heat from the turbos away from the engine. I caught only part of that episode, but it sound like an interesting idea to mount a high horsepower motor.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been thinking about doing mount plates like that. I'm not sure if there are really enough points on the Fiero cradle to interface a mount plate with that would make it and different than the more traditional style mounts. The tradeoff that comes with being able to drop the cradle, I guess. I think it would probably be a good idea on the transmission end though.

Positive P

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2008 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Positive PClick Here to visit Positive P's HomePageSend a Private Message to Positive PEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So did this thing ever get finished?

------------------
1987 Astro

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2008 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still working on it...Just got married a couple of days ago, hasn't been a priority on the budget lately. Been working on some other projects too, building an AR-15 among other things. No progress to report since last time, though I am going to have access to a CNC machine for quite some time soon, and I will probably be able to do some items I've posted about above.
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2008 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Positive P:So did this thing ever get finished?

The real question is "Will this thing ever get finished?"

The answer is I think not.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock